Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE METAPHYSICAL ME  (Read 33672 times)

wlajb

• What would I do if I had not met you.
Re:THE METAPHYSICAL ME
« Reply #360 on: January 15, 2004, 10:19:01 PM »

uhhh....I don't really LIKE Marzipan....but it' so much fun....when I have to ...(but that's just me)

td

• td
« Reply #361 on: January 15, 2004, 10:21:34 PM »

You like it you really like it? I love it. Kennedy.

Yes, I like it, I really really like it!

Oh, and drs one and all, for the record:

Robin Williams film debut is in the 1979 *comedy,* CAN I DO IT 'TILL I NEED GLASSES?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #362 on: January 15, 2004, 10:25:12 PM »

An add on after the film's release to cash in on his Mork fame! (Maltin)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #363 on: January 15, 2004, 10:28:41 PM »

I haven't seen a Robert Altman movie since I saw M*A*S*H when I was a kid.  I don't know why, I just haven't...although I have nothing against them.

Every time that I've had marzipan was like eating gritty, cherry-flavored paste.  I didn't enjoy it.  I suppose that I'll try it again, sometime, but I only if someone else has it and offers me some.  I won't buy any myself...unlike another try at Taco Del Mar's fish taco.  I will try that again.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #364 on: January 15, 2004, 10:32:32 PM »

I'm back. Can't read, too hyper from the marzipan.
bk - you may never have had really good fresh marzipan covered in really good dark chocolate. Bad, too sweet, dry marzipan is HORRIBLE.

Jed

« Reply #365 on: January 15, 2004, 10:32:43 PM »

Don't believe I've ever had marzipan.

As for painful film debuts, forget Williams and Popeye.  Take a look at Tom Hanks' first movie, He Knows You're Alone.  Now there's some laughable cinema! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Panni

« Reply #366 on: January 15, 2004, 10:34:03 PM »

Every time that I've had marzipan was like eating gritty, cherry-flavored paste.  I didn't enjoy it.
Consult my note to bk. End of my comments on marzipan.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #367 on: January 15, 2004, 10:36:18 PM »

Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or Sitting Bull's History Lesson, released in '76, was based on Arthur Kopit's play Indians.  Fascinating play.  Stinko film.  

Quintet followed in '79.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #368 on: January 15, 2004, 10:37:22 PM »

OK, before I retire (I know, it's kind of late. I had serious homework to do), I have two questions that may be stupid, but I want the answers anyway.

1) Can someone explain "house seats" to me? How are they different from any other seats?!

2) What the HELL is Marzipan? The only reason I've ever even heard that word is because of homestarrunner.com. Homestar's friend is named Marzipan.

Conan O'Brien always makes me laugh. I love reliable TV.
...Walk in the sunshine...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #369 on: January 15, 2004, 10:37:22 PM »

My, aren't I being the history guy tonight!   :D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #370 on: January 15, 2004, 10:39:46 PM »

I believe marzipan is basically almond paste with sugar!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #371 on: January 15, 2004, 10:40:39 PM »

I didn't like Altman's new film, THE COMPANY. I expected to like it - I love backstage films, love ballet (wanted to be a ballerina) - so it seemed a perfect fit. But it just didn't work for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #372 on: January 15, 2004, 10:41:02 PM »

I just pulled this from the Food Network site:

Marzipan

Definition: [MAHR-zih-pan] A sweet, pliable mixture of almond paste, sugar and sometimes unbeaten egg whites. It's often tinted with food coloring and molded into a variety of forms including fruits, animals and holiday shapes. Some fancy commercial marzipan fruit is colored so convincingly that it can almost be mistaken for the real thing. Marzipan is also rolled into thin sheets and used either to cover cakes or to cut into strips to form ribbons, bows and a variety of other shapes. Marzipan is available in most supermarkets, packaged in cans or plastic-wrapped logs.

Tomovoz scores virtual karma for getting there first.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 10:50:02 PM by S. Woody White »

Panni

« Reply #373 on: January 15, 2004, 10:47:18 PM »

2) What the HELL is Marzipan?
From Google:
The best marzipan recipes use a two to one ratio of almonds and sugar. The old masters don't consider a mix that contains more than half sugar as true marzipan. A trick used to make really great marzipan is to use 1 bitter almond to every 100 good almonds in the almond mix. If you've ever tasted a bitter almond, you understand how only one can have a serious effect. The smallest taste is an extremely gross experience you won't soon forget. A bitter almond uniquely alters the recipe and is always used in the best almond paste used in marzipan. One note about bitter almonds: do not be eat them in large amounts because they contain to trace amounts of cyanide.
....According to the last sentence I should be dead now.

Tomovoz

« Reply #374 on: January 15, 2004, 10:47:55 PM »

What! No-one wants to explain "house seats". In Oz they are very good seats not on sale to the general public unless not taken up by friends of producers, cast members etc at a good price (or free). Usually about four row back and centre as a rule.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 10:49:03 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #375 on: January 15, 2004, 10:50:39 PM »

Good way to die Panni.  One should always serve almond biscuits when lacing tea with cyanide. (a Jodie Foster reference).
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #376 on: January 15, 2004, 10:52:12 PM »

Didn't bother with house seats, Tomovoz, because I thought everyone would jump in.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #377 on: January 15, 2004, 10:56:20 PM »

I like Halvah.  House seats for Broadway shows are held by actors, the director, the choreographer, the producers, the conductor and I'm sure others.  They must reserve the use of them forty-eight hours or the box-office lets them go, which is frequently why you can walk up to the box-office on the day of a show (around five pm) and get great seats.  If all the house seats are gone, they do keep an emergency pair until just hours before curtain for the producer.  For example, I sat in Mr. Macintosh's seats for Miss Saigon when I saw it, thanks to Mr. Maltby.  

Panni

« Reply #378 on: January 15, 2004, 10:57:57 PM »

When I chew Halvah it makes me shiver.

Tomovoz

« Reply #379 on: January 15, 2004, 10:58:10 PM »

We may be the only ones awake Panni. I assume my "house seats" comment was accurate enough. We sometimes have "cultural differences". (Despite the fact that Oz in in the SW corner of Washington state).
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #380 on: January 15, 2004, 10:58:36 PM »

...So I don't.

Panni

« Reply #381 on: January 15, 2004, 10:59:39 PM »

...So I don't.
That was about chewing halvah.

Tomovoz

« Reply #382 on: January 15, 2004, 11:00:04 PM »

Thanks for the clarification BK.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #383 on: January 15, 2004, 11:03:36 PM »

Eating time in the land of OZ. See you on tomorrow's notes. Good night all.
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #384 on: January 15, 2004, 11:09:36 PM »

I just filed my income tax return by TeleFile!  Last year it only took (I think) 10 days to get my refund!  I hope it doesn't take any longer this year...I mean I really hope it doesn't take more than that...and less would be much better.  This is one instance where less really is more! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #385 on: January 15, 2004, 11:12:16 PM »

This time I really am saying Good-night.

George

« Reply #386 on: January 15, 2004, 11:35:57 PM »

The last of my (latest) eBay purchases have arrived (and I hope they're worth it):  CDs of Anything Goes "Featuring Members Of The Original London & Broadway Casts" with Jeanne Aubert on the first eight tracks and The Merm on the rest (in the "Bonus Tracks" section) and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes with Carol Channing and Yvonne Adair.  Both CDs are part of "The Broadway Musicals Series" on Prism Leisure from England (although I got them from someone in Oregon).  The various Anything Goes tracks were recorded between 1934 and 1939.  Gentlemen Prefer Blondes was recorded in 1949.

I've listened to the first few tracks of Blondes and so far so good.  I don't know what to expect.  I'm sure my standards are low enough that I will be satisfied with them.  So far I am.  The transaction went well and they arrived quickly...good enough for me.

I also received a region 2 DVD of a live Martine McCutcheon concert.  She was Eliza in the latest London revival of My Fair Lady.  So those are the things that I'll have in my CD player and DVD player tomorrow. :D

George

« Reply #387 on: January 15, 2004, 11:38:06 PM »

And with that, I'll say goodnight.  So, Goodnight!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #388 on: January 15, 2004, 11:42:11 PM »

I'm up, I'm up.  What am I doing, a monologue?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #389 on: January 15, 2004, 11:42:47 PM »

What happened to our late-night denizens?  Geez.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up