Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: BLAME IT ON THE BOSSA NOVA  (Read 60294 times)

singdaw

Re:BLAME IT ON THE BOSSA NOVA
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2007, 10:05:32 AM »

the loss of content.

I'm always and forever losing my content.

It's very embarassing.    :-[

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2007, 10:06:39 AM »

And, after all, what's a small quibble between friends?

And who ever met an unfriendly macaroon?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2007, 10:07:24 AM »

Hopefully, you're always near a facility when this happens.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ben

« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2007, 10:07:41 AM »

I had a delicious lunch of fresh raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and an apricot (all purchased this afternoon from the Greenmarket in Union Square) topped with Grape Nuts and Trader Joe's nonfat vanilla yogurt.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2007, 10:07:42 AM »

No, JOSE, I haven't heard either one, but they're both on my list now!
Thanks for the recommendations.

You're welcome.  "Frenesi" is one of my most-played albums/CDs.  Such great horn charts, and the tunes really get my toes tapping, and my hips swaying.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2007, 10:09:29 AM »

...And anytime I listen to Cesaria Evora, I always feel like I'm on a beach somewhere... under an umbrella... with the waves crashing in the distance... and just the right amount of breeze blowing... Ahhhh.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2007, 10:09:56 AM »

OK - Lunch is over, and now it's time for more of Eliza running...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2007, 10:10:12 AM »

the tunes really get my toes tapping, and my hips swaying.

Do not operate heavy machinery while listening to bossa nova.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2007, 10:10:58 AM »

;D ;D ;D Is that what happened last week??

Miss Karen

« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2007, 10:12:02 AM »

Memorization of Lines:

I like to break it down by scenes -- and use my blocking and props as cues.  For example, when I was Ethel in On Golden Pond in the opening scene when they arrive at the cottage and start taking off the dust covers, rolling out the rug, etc., she's talking the whole time -- so I'd walk it through, thinking she says X when she gets by the fire place, she says X when she's shaking out the pillows at the sofa, she says X when she grabs the rug and rolls out it, etc..  

To sit there looking at a book of lines and just reading them over and over is overwhelming to me, but when I get up and walk it through and put it in the context of the scene with the blocking, the character, and the interaction with the other characters and props, the lines come much easier to me.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2007, 10:12:17 AM »

I had a delicious lunch of fresh raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and an apricot (all purchased this afternoon from the Greenmarket in Union Square) topped with Grape Nuts and Trader Joe's nonfat vanilla yogurt.

Ummm, that DOES sound good. I'm a muesli lover and that's gettin' close.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2007, 10:13:31 AM »

...And anytime I listen to Cesaria Evora, I always feel like I'm on a beach somewhere... under an umbrella... with the waves crashing in the distance... and just the right amount of breeze blowing... Ahhhh.  :)

Oooohhhh, I could use some of THAT!!

singdaw

« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2007, 10:14:01 AM »

Thank you to DR Miss Karen and all the DRs for your comments on memorization...it's very illuminating!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2007, 10:14:32 AM »

Do not operate heavy machinery while listening to bossa nova.

Are we all dancing now while tapping at our keyboards?  ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2007, 10:15:37 AM »

RE: Memorizing lines,

I can barely remember my own name, so I was never that good at memorizing lines. In fact when I played the doctor in BLITHE SPIRIT I started my scene with the first line and then skipped the entire scene, and everyone elses lines, and said my final line. Somehow the rest of the cast got through it, but I was certainly at a loss when the correct time came for me to actually say that final line of mine which I had already said earlier.

And this is why no one in the audience could follow the plot, right?  This explains the dearth of Noel Coward productions in Oregon.  I've been wondering about such a situation.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2007, 10:17:21 AM »

MISS KAREN, you know you never tell us much about your DH. All we get is that pint-sized little guy in your avatar. Is he a Texan, too? Aside from being Irish, I mean. I picked up on that part.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2007, 10:19:11 AM »

I must off now to do errands and grab some lunch.

WBBL. And NO E&T from MISS KAREN!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2007, 10:22:46 AM »

Then there's a part for you in BUKOWSICAL!

Re memorizing lines: I always learned them rhythmically. Restoration and Eighteenth-Century comedies have great rhythms.  So do Ionesco, Pinter, Wilde, Coward, and Orton.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2007, 10:27:16 AM »

I wonder if anyone nowadays could come up with something new under the sun, musically.  I mean, there will always be new "sounds," but the bossa nova genre was wrought with a simple rhythmic propulsion.  Is such innovation still possible?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2007, 10:29:23 AM »

Well, Oscar E Moore (no relation; I don't want him in my family!) gave BUKOWSICAL! a positive review:
http://www.talkentertainment.com/te.cgi?action=ShowArticle&AID=46248

Spoo! Forgot the !!!!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 10:31:23 AM by elmore3003 »

Miss Karen

« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2007, 10:29:35 AM »

And this is why no one in the audience could follow the plot, right?  This explains the dearth of Noel Coward productions in Oregon.  I've been wondering about such a situation.

And I often wonder how often the playwrights are rolling in their graves (or if they are still with us, getting some sharp pain to the heart out of the blue) every time a community theatre production goes up (the dropped lines, the skipped pages, the pregnant pauses that are held ... and held .. and held ...the frantic improv ... the skipped scenes .. the condensed acts....).  I always laugh when I read the copyright stuff -- and the getting permission to change anything (ha-ha-haaaah) ...

I think of the poor playwright toiling away, burning the midnight oil, writing and rewriting, searching for the perfect word, the perfect phrase -- and eueka, finally finding it -- only to have us actors butcher their works....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2007, 10:30:10 AM »

Well... While the potential Eliza's are being taught the Chase... -And it turns out we had a bigger turnout this afternoon then expected...  So I may be here later than 2:30, DR Cason... In any case...

I was just talking to one of the interns here who works over at Mamma Mia!.  Apparently, the crazy weather last week really took its toll on the cast there - and elsewhere.  At one point over the weekend, there were 13(!) understudies/stand-bys/subsitutions on for one of the performances.  They had to resort to two(!) xerox inserts to get everyone listed!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2007, 10:32:10 AM »

Signing and faxing contracts, writing yet more checks, and trying to figure out our next move, leading man-wise.  Hoping, hoping, hoping (that is three hopings) our leading lady works out - I should know later today or early tomorrow, but unlike our last person, this one is really interested in doing it, and is trying to work out a couple of scheduling issues.  If not her, we've got a really good backup choice.  But I'd rather have her, so we'll see.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2007, 10:34:29 AM »

I wonder if anyone nowadays could come up with something new under the sun, musically.  I mean, there will always be new "sounds," but the bossa nova genre was wrought with a simple rhythmic propulsion.  Is such innovation still possible?

Well, there are some "Trance" enthusiasts out there.  For better or worse.

*I always thought "Trance" was popular music's equivalent to Minimalism.  Just not as "entertaining".  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2007, 10:35:26 AM »

Signing and faxing contracts, writing yet more checks, and trying to figure out our next move, leading man-wise.  Hoping, hoping, hoping (that is three hopings) our leading lady works out - I should know later today or early tomorrow, but unlike our last person, this one is really interested in doing it, and is trying to work out a couple of scheduling issues.  If not her, we've got a really good backup choice.  But I'd rather have her, so we'll see.

:)

Would you like me to make a phone call of "encouragement"?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2007, 10:36:47 AM »

While the potential Eliza's are being taught the Chase... -

You could mix things up a bit and play the music from Sondheim's "The Cookie Chase"...

Wonder if anyone would notice?  ;)

Miss Karen

« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2007, 10:48:35 AM »

MISS KAREN, you know you never tell us much about your DH. All we get is that pint-sized little guy in your avatar. Is he a Texan, too? Aside from being Irish, I mean. I picked up on that part.

We met in college in 1973 as freshmen (Baylor in wacky Waco, Texas).  He was born in St. Louis (but his folks were from Texas, as were mine -- his dad was an ex with the phone company so they moved to Little Rock and then back to St. Louis during his youth).  He's a DR (the doc kind, not a dear reader -- that's why I thought I had entered a medical site at first when I saw all the DRs here) -- an internist with the VA hospital here.  He's the smart one (left-brain) and I'm the creative one (right-brain).  He likes to be in the background, so jokes that he's the executive producer of all of my, and Cason's, creative endeavors (but it's no joke -- he really is!).  He's witty, clever, cute as a button and deserves sainthood for putting up with me all these years.  He likes to play golf, scuba dive -- and he's great in the kitchen or at the grill.  He's an animal lover, too -- adores our dog Deuce (a mutt we got at the pound -- part black lab, border collie, etc., and we're pretty sure coyote cause he's a wild man -- but in the funny, charming way...opps, this is supposed to be about DH, not DD). Come to think of it, DH can be a wild man too -- in the funny, charming way ...

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2007, 10:59:24 AM »

I love the train ride there from NY---it goes right through Perryville, MD, where I used to live.

Good Grief - that's where I went to spend the weeks between GTMO and Annapolis (ar the Naval Academy Preparatory School) - many a tale to be told about that adventure!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ginny

« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2007, 11:07:40 AM »

From my book review perusings, something that may interest some DRs:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2007, 11:12:28 AM »

From my book review perusings, something that may interest some DRs:

Thanks, DR Ginny!  This book got a terrific write-up in the NY Times Book Review about a month ago, but I forgot to mention it here.  My copy arrived right before I went out of town, but I didn't get to it yet.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up