Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: OUTRE  (Read 81132 times)

Miss Karen

Re:OUTRE
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2007, 08:55:59 AM »

Jajoca Mocha (a tropical monkeycake-based concoction at Starbuck's)

Miss Karen

« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2007, 08:58:41 AM »

singdaw - Julie really misses the HHW board, but has been so incredibly busy with Starfighter stuff.  She will definitely be back.  She definitely has not left the board.

Yeah, right, SKookie, you probably have her tied up in court with some bogus lawsuit and we won't see her for years -- you lawyers!

Miss Karen

« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2007, 08:59:02 AM »

Mini-frenzy!

Miss Karen

« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2007, 09:01:38 AM »

DR Noel ~ You wouldn't happen to know any good casting agents who will come check out Cason and the rest of The Brain cast, do ya? ...

Jason

« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2007, 09:02:22 AM »

Oh, my goodness, DR Ginny, you're staying on THAT block?? Not a bad neighborhood AT ALL. As DR Jose said, I worked on 54th between 9th & 10th Avenue for nearly 3 years, and found myself at the office at odd hours several times and always felt very safe. And it's SO easy to get a cab in that neighborhood...they run like mad on 9th Avenue (going downtown). There's a supermarket (D'Agostino's) just down the block, on 10th Avenue, and another one up a few blocks on 57th & 9th, and you're only 4 blocks from the N, R, W, Q, E, B & D trains, so that's convenient. And, as DR Noel pointed out, there're lots of gorgeous (quite often, half naked) dancers contorting themselves in the first floor studio of the Alvin Ailey Building. I don't even know how they do half of what they do.

Color me a little bit jealous! :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 09:04:02 AM by Jason »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2007, 09:03:07 AM »

Vibes to Julie and Starfighter...

Continued vibes to bk and BRAIN!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2007, 09:04:02 AM »

The glass building on the left side is the gorgeous Alvin Ailey School and sometimes you can look through its windows and see gorgeous dancers.  It's one of those wonderful pieces of architecture that seems to have transformed the entire neighborhood.  It used to be a corner of hell's kitchen that wasn't particularly attractive, non-descript.  Now, well, I'm pretty pleased to be on 55th, West of 9th.

I can vouch for the gorgeous dancers thing -- I've been there several times to hold auditions for Movin' Out and to scout talent for same.  They have the best studios in town, hands down, for dance auditions.  The only downside is the immediate 'hood is not exactly overflowing with great lunch options.  We usually end up going to the deli on the corner for sandwiches (which aren't bad, except they give you chips, which I'm not crazy about because... well, I want to eat them) and Twyla's rare roast beef, when she's around.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2007, 09:05:24 AM »

dakota - Coney Island Avenue in Brooklyn runs for a good number of miles, with only the very end of it actually being in the Brighton Beach/Coney Island vicinity of interest to tourists and funseekers.  So it runs through many neighborhoods, includes many homes and businesses.    

Much like Broadway in Manhattan as a street - people think of Broadwy as the theaters, but it spans many miles of diverse neighborhoods.

And many of the communities live in relative peace. The article I read remarked on that. You are lucky since you can experience different cultures, foods and folkways.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jason

« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2007, 09:07:20 AM »

I can vouch for the gorgeous dancers thing -- I've been there several times to hold auditions for Movin' Out and to scout talent for same.  They have the best studios in town, hands down, for dance auditions.  The only downside is the immediate 'hood is not exactly overflowing with great lunch options.  We usually end up going to the deli on the corner for sandwiches (which aren't bad, except they give you chips, which I'm not crazy about because... well, I want to eat them) and Twyla's rare roast beef, when she's around.

But there are some great places for dinner just up the block around 56th and 57th (Ralph's Italian Restaurant on 56th & 9th is FANTASTIC and very inexpensive), and, of course, down a few blocks are The Eatery, V*Nyl, Renaissance Diner, Pluck U., Island Burger (YUM!), etc.

Miss Karen

« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2007, 09:08:02 AM »

DR Joy ~ You wouldn't happen to know a good casting agent who would come check out Cason and the rest of The Brain cast, would ya?  ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 09:08:19 AM by Miss Karen »

Miss Karen

« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2007, 09:10:15 AM »

All the photos and talk of NYC have me all pumped for my trip to NYC...

Jason

« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2007, 09:10:46 AM »

Well, I should hie myself to the Broad Way. It waits for no one, you know.

Today, our little hamlet of 45th Street becomes just a little more desolate, as both FROST/NIXON and DEUCE are closing. That leaves just AVENUE Q, A CHORUS LINE and THE YEAR OF MAGICAL THINKING, which will be closing next Sunday. Oh, and THE LION KING, which will never close...but it's so far up the block that we don't even consider it to be part of the family. Same goes for CURTAINS, which is on the other side of 8th Avenue. What the hell am I going on about?

Ciao-ders!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2007, 09:14:58 AM »

I'm up, but am going to lay back down again.  Miss Alet Taylor was supposed to rehearse today and tomorrow with Miss Patti, as she's not arriving in NY until the evening of the 5th of September, but there seems to have been some miscommunication.

Miss Karen

« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »

DR Swinging-On-A-Star ~ How's DD's recovery going?  Hope he's back to his old self. Post a photo!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2007, 09:16:17 AM »

Hello, HHW!

Wow, it took me a long time to catch up on all the posts.

Jason, very cute photos of you.

Miss Karen

« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2007, 09:16:33 AM »

DR Mikey ~ And how is DD after dental surgery?  Post a photo of a smiling Bosco!

Miss Karen

« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2007, 09:17:40 AM »

Just thinking about all the HHWers' DPs (DearPets) this morning for some reason.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2007, 09:17:49 AM »

Mercury remains in its second sign of rulership -- Virgo -- until September 5 and this placement can enrich your life on the nutrition, diet and exercise fronts. The solar rapport with distant Pluto suggests that you can finally get to the bottom of life-long quandaries that have proved baffling for decades.
Well, that's good to hear... I was thinking of re-starting on the dubs (Weight Watchers) again on Monday, having been inspired by DR Jason's journey.  And by my own fat ass.   ;)  Perhaps I will get to the bottom of my life-long (or at least, since high school) quandary of why I am such a fatass. :D  Two years ago I joined the dubs and lost 30 lbs, then got the job I'm currently in, and was so busy and stressed that I just gave up on it.  It just got to be too much to pay attention to all the counting and planning and meetings and stuff... but in retrospect I probably would have been better off trying to make it work and staying healthy rather than just giving up.  Eating healthy and exercising would have given me more energy and more of an outlet for my stress.

Well, live and learn... and just keep trying, I guess.
 :-\ :)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2007, 09:21:10 AM »

I read in the newspaper that the premiere broadcast of HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 2 broke all records for a cable broadcast premiere - 17+ million, beating even the first Monday Night Football game premiere on ESPN which logged 16 million.

Even beating THE CLOSER? Oh noooooo!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2007, 09:22:11 AM »

I was reading an article in yesterday's USA Today about a street in Brooklyn called Coney Island Avenue that is culturally diverse.  Are any of the NYC HHWers familiar with that area?

No, but I hope to go to Coney when we come up in September, since it may be getting redeveloped soon.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2007, 09:23:13 AM »

Loved all the photos last night of DR Jason's hat modeling and the NY shots.

How I miss NYC and the NY HHWers!

So come back in September! I would love to meet you!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2007, 09:23:44 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... Wasn't I just here?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2007, 09:24:34 AM »

And many of the communities live in relative peace. The article I read remarked on that. You are lucky since you can experience different cultures, foods and folkways.

It's one of my favorite things about NYC.  I go to visit family in Arizona, and I experience the worst culture shock every time.  Not a black, brown, or any other color face for miles -- except for the support staff workers, like kitchen staff, etc....  :o :(  It creeps me out.  But here... you can stand on a subway car and hear and see a plethora of cultures, languages, etc.; and nobody cares what anybody else is up to.  Everyone minds their business, for the most part.  And yet, when someone is in trouble, there's always a helping hand around -- I've seen so many cases of perfect strangers helping each other carry strollers up and down stairs, holding doors, helping pick up dropped items, and so forth.  I LOVE this town!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2007, 09:24:40 AM »

Edi,
I understand your anxiety at leaving your house. I, too, get very attached to my houses. My home is my sanctuary. I put a lot of myself into it and it's difficult to let go! The first house I bought was especially difficult because it was the first. But once I made the break I was fine. Everything since then has been so much better!

LETTING GO VIBES!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2007, 09:25:09 AM »

I envy those you going to NYC... Have fun and take care!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2007, 09:25:49 AM »

I have been to Boston and Washington. Matter of fact on one of the trips to DC, I even attended a play at Ford's Theatre.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2007, 09:26:21 AM »

Letting go vibes for Edi... ((hugs))

Ginny

« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2007, 09:26:32 AM »

DRs Joy and Jason - thanks to you both for your comments about our future (although temporary, alas) home in NYC!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2007, 09:27:05 AM »

But there are some great places for dinner just up the block around 56th and 57th (Ralph's Italian Restaurant on 56th & 9th is FANTASTIC and very inexpensive), and, of course, down a few blocks are The Eatery, V*Nyl, Renaissance Diner, Pluck U., Island Burger (YUM!), etc.
... Mercury Bar, Vintage, Julian's, that crazy Italian place where they pass out tambourines and play "Dancing Queen" and "Amore" and dance on chairs...

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2007, 09:27:40 AM »

DR Joy ~ You wouldn't happen to know a good casting agent who would come check out Cason and the rest of The Brain cast, would ya?  ;)
I'll ask around.   ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Up