Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: KATIE, WE HARDLY KNEW YE  (Read 33750 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:KATIE, WE HARDLY KNEW YE
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2007, 12:04:33 AM »

[shadow=color,glow width,#characters wide] Page 4! [/shadow]

I can certainly find another dozen or so posts in me if I have some inspiration.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 09:03:37 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2007, 12:06:45 AM »

Of course, I've probably done enough damage starting pages 3 and 4.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 09:04:07 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2007, 12:07:44 AM »

Well, I see that Cason is now catching up on yesterday's posts.

And Jose is here.

I leave them to burn the 3 a.m. oil!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2007, 12:14:49 AM »

BK - As for John's Pizza...

The seating policy - Well, you either like it, or you don't.  So, if you choose not to dine there anymore, well, that's your choice.  -However, that policy is really only enforced during the lunch and dinner rushes.  -And I suspect that you would not be too pleased if someone was seated before you - someone who was waiting for a friend to show up - and who very well might still be waiting for the rest of their party to show up by the time you were seated.  Or even finished your meal.  I've seen that happen.  To me.  It's not a matter of making you feel rushed, it's a matter of the keeping the tables turned, and also insuring that people aren't "squatting".  -And if someone in your party is running late, then it's that someone who is holding you up.  Not the restaurant.

As for the pizza.... Yes, it's the thin-crust kind.  Is THE BEST pizza in NYC?  No.  But it's very good.  -The pizza down at the John's on Bleecker is also thin-crust, but I think it actually tastes better down there too.  There's always a nice hint of char to their crusts down there.

However, if you want more substantial crust, I suggest you try Dean's Pizza up on 85th Street.  DR elmore and I have commented about the place before.  They do make the traditional thin-crust pie, but they also make "Grandma's Square Pie".  It's not quite that inch-thick Sicilian style, but it's based on that model.  The dough is allowed to rise a bit, and I'd say it's about 1/4-inch think.  It has a great initial crunch, and then there's a nice soft layer of "bread".  A very good pie.

Otherwise, maybe you're hankering for the "New York Style" that's sold by the various Ray's Pizzas dotting NYC.  A decent slice.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2007, 12:22:32 AM »

BK and DR elmore - As for the "non-invite" to tonight's dinner and music, well...  Yes, you can blame me.  It all sort of came together as I was leaving for my matinee.

I had planned a few weeks ago to see Eldar, but I actually didn't make the reservations until this morning.  -I was actually almost thinking of not going tonight, but, boy, am I glad I'm not regretting that possible decision.

As for the dinner... Well... I had a few "missions" to accomplish after the show - and, well, before the show too.  Once I started getting things organized, I went ahead and called DR Cason to see what he was up to, and since his plans were not finalized per se, I asked him if he would help me out with my "missions".  So, we started there.

My reservations for Eldar were only for two people.   -Oh, and seeing Eldar was a belated birthday present to myself.  I was hoping that DR Jason could come with me tonight, but since we had to be in line by 9:30 - first-come, first-served seating - I went ahead and asked if DR Cason would like to come along.  Then after my "missions" were accomplished, we rang up BJ to see if he would like to join us for dinner.  And that's how we ended up a John's Pizza.  Too.  ;)

*When were you there, BK?  I'm guessing were there around 6:45-7:00?  Is it possible that we dined in the same room, but not necessarily together?

In any case... That's my "excuse", so to speak.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2007, 12:27:02 AM »

And as for those "missions" - Well... I'm putting together a birthday present for a friend of mine back in Richmond.  I noticed I still had a bunch of Opening Night Playbills from various shows that have opened this past season.  So...  I took one to A Chorus Line...  Then I waited outside the stagedoor of Curtains - with DRs Jason and Cason... And, as luck would have it, Rupert Holmes was there today, so I was able to get his autograph too.  I tried to get over to Mary Poppins too, but the gates were already packed up by the time we got over to 41st Street.  They really must have gotten out of there fast today.

*Oh, and since I had already collected some autographs previously, coincidentally - and quite serendipitously - the Playbills I'm gathering together have all been signed by Tony nominees and/or winners.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2007, 12:27:37 AM »

DR MBarnum - Lovely pictures of your niece and nephew.  And Freddy and Bosco, of course. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2007, 12:28:21 AM »

DR TCB - I hope by the time you're reading this that you have awoken with and in less pain.  Get better, my friend.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2007, 12:29:13 AM »

bk - As for "who is this Eldar?" Well... I've mentioned him quite a few times over the past two weeks here on HHW, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2007, 12:31:21 AM »

Oh, DR Cason, BJ and I did like our pizza at John's earlier tonight.  A "Margherita" with Pepperoni, Black Olives and Fresh Basil.  YUMMERS!  *And I still like John's house vinaigrette for their salads too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2007, 12:32:43 AM »

DR Adrianni Patti - I hope your signed up with a Frequent Flyer program.  Sounds like you could earn a free ticket by the time you complete your remaining round-trips from LA to NYC and back again.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2007, 12:35:27 AM »

DR Jane - Toast half of the almonds you're using.  Yes, toasting helps bring out the almond essence, but I feel that it affects the final product too since the toasting also ends up affecting the natural oil in the almonds.  -At least when it comes to making macaroons.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2007, 12:37:54 AM »

bk - So when were you at Virgin?  We wandered through there too - after wandering through the monstrosity that is Toy'R'Us.

The spooky thing is is that I was actually looking at Mireille Matthieu CD too.  However, it was filed in the Vocals section.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 12:38:10 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2007, 12:39:57 AM »

DR td - I think you meant to type "prostrate" not "prostate".  Or maybe you didn't.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2007, 12:41:16 AM »

DR Cillaliz - Well... Serendipity 3 was just a block away.  A loooooong block away.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2007, 12:41:58 AM »

DR Cillaliz - Maybe they used tinted grout.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2007, 01:03:08 AM »

TADA!

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2007, 01:05:11 AM »

DR MattH - For some unknown reason, the one episode of "That Girl" that sticks in my head is the one where she goes to the automat, but since she's short on money, she improvises a bowl of tomato soup with  cup of hot water and some ketchup.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2007, 01:10:22 AM »

COMING SOON TO THE LOT NEXT DOOR TO EDISAURUS' NEW HOME:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2007, 01:28:39 AM »

So... Back to Eldar at The Blue Note earlier tonight.

Quite simply put... WOW!

As impressive as his playing and musicality is on disc, in person it is even moreso.  Not only was I continually blown away at the velocity of his fingers, but I was also bowled over by the various colorings he worked out that Steinway.  His rendition of "Besame Mucho" sounded like it was being played on a "cushion piano" - for lack of a better word for how to describe that sound.

He opened with "I Remember When" which also opens his latest CD, "re-imagination".  He did have a synth sitting on top of the piano, as well as Rhodes unit hooked into a processor to his left, and he duplicated many of the colors and morphs of sound that are on the disc.  Then came a totally re-worked and practically deconstructed version of "Sofly As In A Morning Sunrise".  Again, a total WOW!  Once the tune came into the focus after the initial improvisation, it all just fell into place.  And, man, did it swing too!  I particularly enjoyed how he treated the final cadence of the melody, making that the "home hook" for his rendition.  The rest of set included a few more tunes from "re-imagination" as well as his previous CDs.

Now as for those hands... Vladimir Ashkenazy was praised for his very prodigious right-hand technique.  -As was/is Oscar Peterson and Art Tatum(!).  Clean, lightning fast playing.  Never a note out of place.  There were times tonight when I thought Eldar was playing with two right hands.  There was some astonishing passage work in octaves between the two hands.  Sometimes that took place on the Steinway.  Sometimes his right hand was on the synth and his left was on the piano - or vice versa.  Or his left hand was on the Rhodes to the left him while his right hand was on the piano.  And still he managed some hard-to-believe unison playing.  -And there was also one continuous trill that I swear lasted at least a minute long - if not longer - all the while playing melody and accents with his left - or right hand - with some interjections from the non-trilling fingers at the same time!

And I swear there were times when I thought I was finally hearing that fabled "Chopin rubato".  Chopin was stated to have been able to playing an accompaniment figure in his left hand in a steady tempo, while "allowing" his right hand to play the melody freely above it.  -Like a singer back-phrasing over a steady accompaniment of chords.  There has always been a debate whether this is physically-mentally possible, and tonight I think I heard that it is.

What I found quite surprising was his stage manor - well, his stage voice.  Not a trace of Russian in it.  Very relaxed, very cool.  And very mature for a 20-year old!  -Then I remembered he has been in the States since he was nine.

Oh, and I have to mention the contributions and collaborations of his bass player, Earl Travis, and drummer, Terreon Gully.  They were truly Eldar's "band mates" up on that stage.  -And their featured solos were also quite impressive.

After the set, DR Cason and I headed upstairs.  Well, that's where the bathrooms were, but I also wanted to see about getting an autograph.  Or at least seeing and shaking those hands.  Luckily, Eldar happened to come out of his dressing room, and he chatted with us for a bit.  Young and modest.  (And cute.)  And I did get my CD signed.  -And, thankfully, the one bit of Russian I do remember happened to apply as we were leaving: Spokoinoi Nochi, Good Night.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 01:29:50 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2007, 01:30:23 AM »

DR DERBRUCER - Do you ever read any good news?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2007, 01:37:31 AM »

bk - As for your plans for Wednesday night...  Milla's appearance will be at the B&N up by Lincoln Center.  The Metropolitan Room is down in Chelsea, on 22nd between 5th and 6th.

The closest subway stop to the Metropolitan Room is the F at 23rd (you'd have to transfer from a D or V at 42nd or 34th).  The B&N is right on the 1 Train, so...  Plan your transfers accordingly.  Or just take a taxi down to Chelsea.

The Metropolitan Room

*I like the space.  It used to be a comedy club, but they've transformed into a nice intimate cabaret room.  -And they serve pies and cakes from The Little Pie Shop too!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2007, 01:42:41 AM »

Oh, I might as finish the story as it were...

After heading up to Union Square to check out the Virgin Megastore there, and then finding that it closes at midnight - unlike it's Times Square counterpart which closes at 1:00am - we hopped on the N Train back up to 42nd Street.  Once at 44th and Broadway, Cason headed back to his digs, and I just ended up walking up until I hit 79th Street - a.k.a. H&H Bagels.

I had wanted to pick up some sort of pastry for breakfast this morning since my roommate's brother and his wife are visiting this weekend.  I stopped into some of the bakeries along the way - Hot & Crusty, EuroPan, The Bread Factory, even Starbucks - but no one had anything that looked particularly fresh (at 1:00 in the morning).  So, since H&H bakes around the clock and is open 24 hours (I think), I stopped into there for a dozen assorted bagels and a tub of cream cheese.  And since I got a dozen I got a 13th for free - an Everything bagel, which I just finished consuming and enjoying a few minutes ago.  -And it really was still fresh-from-the-oven warm.  Mmmmmm.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2007, 01:43:51 AM »

Well, that's enough about me and my adventures.  For now.  ;)

I guess I should get some sleep now.  So...

Spokoinoi Nochi
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2007, 01:45:28 AM »

Oh... Wait a minute... And it was a great pleasure finally meeting BJ tonight too.  I look forward to seeing him and Cason and the rest of the gang in The Brain from Planet X.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2007, 01:50:29 AM »

DR DERBRUCER - Do you ever read any good news?  ;)

What good news :(

der Brucer

Remember - if it bleeds it leads!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Miss Karen

« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2007, 02:28:42 AM »

Mornin' DR SawHorse!

You're up mighty early and I'm up mighty late.

Miss Karen

« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2007, 02:29:22 AM »

I look forward to seeing him and Cason and the rest of the gang in The Brain from Planet X.  :)

DITTO!

Miss Karen

« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2007, 02:33:08 AM »

And Best Wishes to the Birthday Boy and Birthday Girl --

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DRs MATT AND JOY !!! AND MANY MORE!!!

Miss Karen

« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2007, 02:36:39 AM »

Now I get to go be errant and truant for a while -- push week for Suburb.

....The little padded van from Sunny Vale is parked in the drive way on stand by....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up