Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: REVITALIZING THE PROSE  (Read 22854 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:REVITALIZING THE PROSE
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2004, 01:40:12 AM »

And a final post to take us to page three - just so those that log on in the morning can scratch their heads in wonderment.

Laura II

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2004, 01:53:20 AM »

Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles! My mom came downstairs and did not yell! She said that I should go to bed really soon, but then she turned around and let me be!

It doesn't rhyme, but oh well! Also, the rhythm is off, but you can figure it out. Forgive me, it's 4:52 here! Still chattin with Jed and an Australian friend.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 01:53:55 AM by Laura II »
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2004, 03:28:29 AM »

I knew I shouldn't have had that coffee with dinner.  I haven't been able to sleep a wink as of yet.  Dang and double tarnations.  Buster has been cuddling up on one side of me, and Bonnie has been cuddling up on the other and sleeping with her head in my lap, but no sleep has come my way.

On to the topic of the day.  I've long been convinced that Jason de la Graae got onto so many BK discs because he (Jason) was sleeping in the studio and he (BK) simply found he (Jason again) was handy.  Heck, why not?  I also think Sally Mayes is a real cutie.

My favorite single track on the compliation albums, however, is from The Stephen Schwartz Album, which is a great disc, even if I never have liked the song "Meadowlark."  Favorite track is the late Dorothy Loudin singing "No Time At All," which was already a great song before Ms. L proved to be it's perfect match.  Can you imagine what a duet could have been had, had Ms. L and Nell Carter recorded "Bosom Buddies" from Mame together?  That would have been a riot!  I only got to meet Nell, and wish I'd met Dorothy, but I can imagine the two of them in Heaven comparing their Annie experiences and laughing up a storm!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jed

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2004, 03:39:18 AM »

Oh yes, I probably should comment on BK's (or "cyber-Yente," as we canoodlers now call him :)) topic...

When it comes to the compilation albums, I have to admit that I'm only familiar with the Lost in Boston series.  Don't have the Schwartz or Sondheim albums, no Unsung Musicals... unseemly, I know, but my CD dollar only goes so far.  But, from the LIB's, I always enjoy Ron Raines work, Liz Callaway (of course), Michelle Nicastro, Lynne Wintersteller ("Pink Taffeta Sample, Size 10" is an absolute favorite of mine).  And can not fail to mention Karen Morrow on the Ballroom tracks... simply sublime.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 03:41:45 AM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2004, 05:58:59 AM »

To top off a terrible birthday, I find out that I owe many of the HHW community an apology.

Yesterday's topic was about flop shows you loved and why didn't they succeed.

I talked about Baby, a lovely show from the 1980's about three couple's experiences with pregnancy.

I wrote:
Yes, Baby seemed a little small for Broadway.  It had rounded curtains and a film of sperm and egg was shown on these - hardly the spectacle audiences expected from a Broadway show.

But I've two other theories, and they're controversial.

Abortion is a topic that makes a lot of people sit rigidly and clench their teeth.  It was an even bigger issue on the national political scene 20 years ago than it is today.  Baby had the balls to have one couple consider abortion.  That means that a certain percentage of the audience was going to find the show distasteful.

Homosexuals make up a large section of the musical-attending public, and, at the time Baby opened, La Cage Aux Folles was a big hit you could take your gay uncle to.  I hope it doesn't offend anyone to point out that childbirth is not something many homosexuals have personal first-hand experience with.  Sure, there are many execeptions, but Baby depicted an (blessed) event or three that wasn't easily related to by a segment of the musical-going population.

Plus, the book isn't very good.

DR S. Woody White responded:
I found your post deeply offensive and ill-informed.  You owe many of us here an apology.

This is most dismaying.  As I said, "I hope it doesn't offend anybody to point out..." and, apparently, my hopes were dashed.  I'm sorry.

As my post acknowledged, a proportion of the gay population has experienced childbirth first-hand, and I've observed that includes some of the DRs here.

DR S. Woody White goes on to say:
In my experience, the gay community as a whole is just as committed to their families as the sampling we have here, making total nonsense of the entire "family values" rhetoric.

and I'm a little mystified as to why anyone would think I would need to be told this.  Baby is not a musical about commitment to one's family.  (Another of my favorites from the 1980s, March of the Falsettos, is.)  Baby doesn't depict a single scene between parent and child.  I never implied that the gay community isn't committed to their families.  I merely suggested that the stuff that goes on in Baby - conception, infertility, wondering what happened with the birth control, contemplating abortion, the first kick, La Maze and rhtymic breathing - are things most gay theatre-goers haven't experienced (DR S Woody White says it's 90% of gay males) and that this could account for Baby's lack of appeal.

Or not.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Danise

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2004, 06:22:16 AM »

Good morning all.  I don't know why but I'm scratching my head in wonderment!

It's raining here.  Raining down buckets.  Raining down sheets.  Raining down cats and dogs!  Now just what I'm going to do with all these buckets, sheets, cats and dogs I don't know!  I guess I'm going to have to try to find them good homes!

Anyone want a bucket, sheet, cat or dog?

It would have to rain on the day I'm going to the theater!  I hate to drive and now I may have to drive in the RAIN.  Sigh.    If I hadn't already bought the ticket, I would say forget it and stay home.

At least it's not until 2 so maybe it will stop by then.

Sigh.

I'm so sorry you had a bad B-day Noel.  I hope you have an extra nice day today to make up for it.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Robin

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2004, 07:01:29 AM »

<<Today’s topic of discussion: It’s free-for-all day, the day in which you get to choose the topic, you get to initiate the discussion and you get to revitalize the prose. To kick start it, who are your most favorite singers on my compilation albums?>>

I must start the day off with a confession.  I've always preferred female singers to male singers.  Not that I dislike male singers by any stretch of the imagination, mind you.  I just simply adore a girl singer!  

This is one of the reasons I hold the Jeepers Creepers CD in such high esteem.  So many singers of the female persuasion!  And the few men hanging about aren't exactly chopped liver, either!  In fact, my favorite track on the album is the "Teenage Horror Medley", by Jason Graae.  But the gamine charms of the album win me over every time.

So, to finally answer the damned question: Christianne Noll, Emily Skinner, Michelle Nicastro and Dame Edna.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2004, 07:04:20 AM »

And a question for Mr. BK:

Have you been getting the latest LI'L ABNER reprints from Dark Horse Books?  They're reprinting four volumes of the Sunday color strips that Frank Frazetta "ghosted" for Al Capp.  (Capp still wrote the strip, but Mr. Frazetta was drawing it.)

Robin

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2004, 07:05:08 AM »

Oh, and Happy Natal Anniversary to Mr. Charles Pogue!

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2004, 07:06:11 AM »

Happy Birthday Charles Pogue!

DR Noel: Sorry your birthday wasn't the greatest.

But re: S Woody taking offense to your post.

I think you (Noel) have a right to give your opinion. I did not take your post as saying you didn't think gays had family values. To me you were just saying why you believed the show failed.

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2004, 07:09:48 AM »

Hey BK, just because someone's name shows that they are logged on, doesn't mean they are at their computer! :)

My favorite singers on the compilation cds are definitely: Ruthie Henshall and Kristin Chenoweth.

Robin

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2004, 07:18:55 AM »

Ok, my question for all dear readers (since I don't think anyone saw it before :)): what is the first cast recording/album/showtune to which you were exposed (as far back as you can remember)?

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.  My parents saw the show on its' first Broadway run, and bought the LP.  Oddly enough, I liked the LP better than they did, and pretty much wore the album out.  My favorite song on the LP was "Impossible", which I found hilarious, even if I didn't understand most of it.  

Co-incidentally enough, one of the first musicals I was ever lucky enough to be cast in was Forum.  And oddly enough, as Miles Gloriosus.  To be funny, decided they would cast the scrawniest-looking kid they could find, and outfit said kid with a fake-looking false chest.  Which was me.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2004, 07:41:22 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR CHARLES POGUE!!![/move]

Hmmmmmmmm....first cast album....probably either BYE BYE BIRDIE or GYPSY.  Hard to remember.  I know I had some of the songs from LIL ABNER and GYPSY on an album by Mr Johnny Mathis which was very good!   ;D

I like ALL the singers on MR BK's albums of course - but my favorites would have to be Mr Brent Barrett, Mr Jason Graae, Ms Rebecca Luker, Ms Susan Gordon, and Mr Guy Haines!
 8)

DRMATTH like you I abandoned LIS when BATMAN showed up - and I hated Dr Smith - I thought if he were not around, then maybe LIS would have been the real sci fi series I thought it was going to be.  I thought it was just a wasted opportunity and very boring...especially HIM!!!  I do not understand the veneration of this annoying character who got in the way of the series being something that I thought could be good!

So sorry the Courts show was a disappointment.  :(

Maybe it will be better today!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2004, 07:42:10 AM »

As usual, I'm always astonished when I log on and see this huge number of posts for such an early time of the morning. Posting frenzy aplenty. . . .

My first original cast recording was MY FAIR LADY because that was the first show I ever saw on Broadway. I didn't know such a thing existed as a cast recording, and my aunt and uncle brought my brother and me back from NYC after seeing MFL, there was the recording waiting for me that my mom had bought. I have been a Broadway Baby (a FOLLIES reference) ever since.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2004, 07:54:31 AM »

AFTER having finished last night's late night notes; BEFORE perusing today's notes; I shall post this little missive (sans editing, of course - 'cos if BK is your Auntie Mame, that might just make me Vera Charles) regarding today's TOD:

Jason Graae, without a doubt!  Love the voice, the humor, the selections which he was given.
Liz Larsen - not a lot there on the compilations, but, what is there is cherce, from dittie from THE VAMP to the cut song from ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, she has a special place in my heart.
Yvette Lawrence - well, I got to see her onstage BEFORE BK had released a compilation with her voice on it, but, I got to meet her the week that A BROADWAY CHRISTMAS was released.
Karen Morrow, Elaine Stritch and Lauren Bacall - let's just call them "the Legends" and be done with it.
Debbie Shapiro, of course!  First heard her on a PBS special, belting Frank Loesser's "Junkman," and it's been love ever since; now, if I could only meet her!
Michelle Nicastro, whom I find charming on each and every one of her releases for BK; as a matter of fact, when I spoke on the phone (so very long ago) for a few moments with BK, Michelle's ears should've been burning.
TWMHM - but, how many compilations is he on?
Michael Piontek - don't know why he hasn't been used more, but, his track on UNSUNG IRVING BERLIN is to die for!
Liz Callaway
and, of course GUY HAINES!  and that guy on UNSUNG IRVING BERLIN who sings the c&w inspired, "Please Let Me Come Back to You."

and now:

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY NATAL DAY, CHARLES POGUE![/move]
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2004, 07:54:33 AM »

My one comment on the BABY business. DR Noel, I have two nephews and a niece, and I'm not particularly close to them (not particularly close to my brother either). But the point is that you're pretty naive if you think gay people are only interested in subjects that we have actual experience with. With very few exceptions, books, television, and films deal with heterosexual characters, something gay people have lived with and adjusted to forever. The fact that I haven't had a wife or child in no way makes me less interested in stories that deal with straight characters and their stories.

Maybe it doesn't work that way for straight audiences (not wanting to view gay-themed works), but I kind of doubt the big box-office grosses for something like PHILADELPHIA were purely the result of gay patronage.

Michael

« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2004, 07:58:17 AM »

I believe the first cast album I ever listened to was My Fair Lady. And no I never saw it. My parents did and they had it as part of their collection. They also had Fiddler on the Roof. But I believe the first cast albums that were given to me (too young to buy) and not cast albums but soundtracks  Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music. I also remember getting the cast album of Camelot for a birthday but don't remember which one.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2004, 08:01:31 AM »

Favorites vocalists on bk compilations:

Debbie Gravitte on UNSUNG SONDHEIM. Sorry for sounding like a broken record, but I think "Water Under the Bridge" is a great song, and she sings it so wonderfully that it puts Liza Minnelli's version of the song on the Sondheim Tribute show to shame.

Jason Graae is a wonderful singer with great personality in his voice. I know he's got a large following  on the West Coast, but why this guy doesn't have a shelf full of Tonys is a mystery.

Michael Rupert has a depth to his voice that I really love. He's not on a bunch of the recordings, but the few songs that he's done have been wonderfully performed.

Other than "Water Under the Bridge," my favorite cut is "Sherry!" so that means I must also include Christine Baranski and Jonathan Freeman, both exceptionally talented performers. I've never gotten to see Baranski on stage, but Freeman is always wonderful.

Michael

« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2004, 08:11:29 AM »

Hard for me to choose as I have the complete BK music series. But of course the regualrs Jason Graae, Liz Callaway, Debbie Shaprio, Michelle Nicastro, Sally Mayes, Guy Haines and the "unsung" Harry Groener who has been of many of the recordings (I am sure I am missing some others)
Never stop dreaming.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2004, 08:21:06 AM »

Hi, there. Anyone know why all my text on this site is now in GERMAN???
Gebruik kit formulier voor snel-antwoorden..... en smilies mogen gebruikt worden... stuff like that. Or might it be DUTCH??? oy.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2004, 08:22:26 AM »

It also says I'm offline. I'm not, am I???
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2004, 08:23:54 AM »

And just by the way, when I get to their house tomorrow, Keith and Jane will help me upload this photo so it doesn't look like a Play-Dough transfer.
PennyO

td

• td
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2004, 08:28:29 AM »

is this it, BK?

td

• td
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2004, 08:29:16 AM »

sorta looks like LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL, doesn't it?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2004, 08:30:37 AM »

DRPENNYO - how strange...sounds like your browser settings are wacky!

But - that reminds me of the Sunday afternoon in the mid 1960's when I was watching EAST OF EDEN on a local Indianapolis channel - there was a reel changeover (a Benjamin Kritzer reference) and then suddenly everyone was speaking dubbed German.  This went on until the next changeover when everyone went back to speaking English.  Twilight Zone time.

I understand the point the DRNOEL was making yesterday.....I don't think it is necessarily the case, but I see what he is saying.  My problem with BABY when I saw it was that it was so damned boring, predictable, and annoying.  It was all about feelings....and all the couples sang songs about the SAME feelings.....first one then the other....I feel this way...you feel this way....we feel this way....how do you feel?....how do I feel?....how do we feel?....  It was an EST festival.  And I didn't really care much about the stock characters as they were presented.  Maybe there were just too many couples.  I might have liked a show about the older couple and the younger unmarried couple and watching them deal with the situation as a quartet.  

Free for all day.  Have any of the DR ever visited the site where a movie was filmed and felt a deja vu....or joy in being there.  I liked seeing Mt Rushmore....and thinking about North by Northwest....   And are there any movie locations you would like to visit?  

Kerry

« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2004, 08:40:35 AM »

Good Morning
Good Day
Isn't this a beautiful day?
I like boat races.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2004, 08:42:01 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLES POGUE!!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 08:44:16 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2004, 08:58:26 AM »

That's the same dress you had on yesterday!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2004, 09:20:55 AM »

HELP!  I was just doing some research....and there is a listing for a TV remake of "Sudden Fear".  The original starred of course Miss Joan Crawford and Mr Jack Palance.  The TV cast is listed as Miss Raquel Welch and Mr Craig Bierko!

Did anyone see this movie?  Is it available?  What is the deal?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2004, 09:23:59 AM »

I have been locked out of posting for the last half hour.  I also didn’t have any pictures up.  Has anyone else been having difficulty?  Keith thinks it is from our end.

DR Noel I sorry you didn’t have a nice birthday.  Even if birthdays aren’t special they shouldn’t be terrible.

Bruce to help TIVO understand your preferences give the shows you don’t like “thumbs down”, up to three of those and give the shows you like “thumbs up.  I also go through the movie channels and record movies I like, even if I won’t be watching, just to give TIVO an idea of my personal taste.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up