Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE HAND CLAPPING  (Read 73268 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:ONE HAND CLAPPING
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2007, 08:19:52 AM »

Der B,
I tried again yesterday to post a photo and got an error message that it's too big. It's not too big byte-wise. What must I do to fix it?

It's probably too big pixel wise (height/width). You can send it to me at GEORDIEMC@AOL.COM and I can probably help. Is is something you want to use as you avatar?

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Miss Karen

« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2007, 08:20:23 AM »

Oh, I know you are.

I like the Levain idea. Jose's at rehearsal, I think. I wonder if JRAND can levitate the Levain and drop them off at our respective places of work/leisure.

I bet he can because Jupiter and Uranus have come into their third square pattern (isn't that right JRand?)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2007, 08:21:36 AM »

DR RonPulliam, since HANGOVER SQUARE is one of the chief influences on SWEENEY TODD and Sondheim's spoken several times about the Herrmann influence on the score, I can't believe it's taken so long for a DVD release.  At a party in 1981, Steve told me that Anthony Perkins and I were the only two people he knew who had ever seen HANGOVER SQUARE.

Thanks for this reminder, Larry.  I'd read that, of course.  It certainly isn't like "Hangover Square" has been "available" much.  I never saw any listings for it back in the day when AMC aired Fox product.  And no one ever mentions it on the film score monthly messageboard in any way other than as a score written by Herrmann.

I daresay the preponderance of Herrmann fans have never seen the film.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2007, 08:23:01 AM »

Oh, pa-shaw -- ya gotta love the Irish!!

Why? They don't make Levain cookies.

der Brucer

singdaw

« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2007, 08:23:26 AM »

The Sondheim connection was the primary source of my interest in the film [and the score].

Miss Karen

« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2007, 08:23:44 AM »

Hey, if some Levain arrive, put one aside for me, pls. I got some work I gotta do for a bit.

You'd better PM Ben with that request -- I'm not the one to ask about rationing, saving or putting aside things like Levains, Monkey Cake, etc.

MBarnum

« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2007, 08:24:47 AM »

And swoon I did, DR Singdaw!

Dear DR Elmore once made me a compilation CD of Felix Knight songs, and I treasure it.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2007, 08:28:22 AM »

Remodeling home stretch vibes appreciated--the floor guy should finish sealing the floors today (a bit smelly, but at least quieter than the sanding phase, which was G-dawful).  He's using a supposedly environmentally friendly water-based sealant, which makes me wonder what the non-environmentally friendly stuff smells like.  Then tomorrow they move in our new appliances, which have been residing in our garage for the past 2 months.  Friday morning the countertop people arrive to install the new countertops, then in the afternoon, the finish electrical and plumbing stuff gets done.  All that will be left is one final coat on the floors (probably next Monday).  Oh and paying the final bill of course, which merits a special Oy in and of itself.   It has been a long, slow slog.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 08:29:01 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2007, 08:31:12 AM »

It's probably too big pixel wise (height/width). You can send it to me at GEORDIEMC@AOL.COM and I can probably help. Is is something you want to use as you avatar?

der Brucer

Thanks, der B, I will. No, not an avatar. It's a drawing that relates to a discussion Singdaw and I had in NY.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2007, 08:31:14 AM »

For Ask bk day:

I'm curious why you changed Zubrick from a florist to a lifeguard?  Both were funny.

We made the change because we changed the All About Men locale to Muscle Beach and it seemed right to us.

singdaw

« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2007, 08:31:15 AM »

***Kitchen remodeling HOME STRETCH VIBES***[/size][/color]
to DR JMK!!

With what dish will you "break in" the new kitchen, I wonder?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2007, 08:32:44 AM »

Here's a question for our esteemed BK -

Under what circumstances would you wear pink?

While I would think pink, I don't know that I'd ever wear pink - never have, that I can remember - it's not my favorite color.  Nothing against it, really.

Miss Karen

« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2007, 08:35:03 AM »

I bet he can because Jupiter and Uranus have come into their third square pattern (isn't that right JRand?)

I had to laugh when I read a horoscope for yesterday -- here all along I had been kidding JRand about all HIS planetary euphemisms -- it's how all of those folks write:

"Anticipate big (Jupiter) shake-ups (Uranus) in society .... Adding to the misery today are a Mars-Neptune abrasive and potentially confusing 135-degree tie -- and a shocking and electrifying Sun-Uranus parallel..."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2007, 08:35:41 AM »

ASK BK DAY

What magazines (if any) do you subscribe to at home?

I used to be quite a magazine subsciber in those days when you'd get those publisher's clearing house deals (in the late 70s) - I took Time, Newsweek, New York, and several others.  Haven't subscribed to anything in years, although for reasons unknown to me, the Hollywood Reporter started arriving in the Kritzerland mailbox about four months ago and it comes daily.  I don't read it.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2007, 08:37:58 AM »

I find the on-line political quiz games (matching your views with candidates very frustrating) - I posted the following on another chat board that was beating the quiz to death:

I have problems giving YES/NO answers to ill-defined questions.

"Do you favor or oppose the concept of universal health care in America?"

Well, I favor the concept of every US resident having reasonable access to vital health care - but the devil is in the details (what is "reasonable", what is "vital").

I do not, however, favor a tax-payer funded system of "Universal Healthcare (i.e. a single-pay Canadian system).

So, how do I answer? I chose to put my emphasis on "concept", and answered "yes", which threw my profile far to the left. I could have chosen to read "tax-payer" funded into "universal" and answered "No", which would have thrown my profile to the right.

Answers to other issues can also be misread - I fully support the state's right to "take a life for a life, but feel that as practiced in our country capital punishment is not a deterrent to crime, the administration of the process of prosecuting capital crimes is flawed, and the added expense of such prosecutions is a waste of tax payer dollars. So do I "support capital punishment" - a big YES in theory, a definite NO in practice.

I do feel a pregnant women has no "right" to have an abortion, at tax-payer expense, but feel it is good public policy to provide same.

How do I 'lean" on the 2008 Presidential Race? Well presented with Clinton vs Keyes or Richardson vs Brownback, The Democrat gets my vote. Presented with Clinton vs Giuliani or Edwards vs Mc Cain, the Republican gets my vote. Other match-ups still have me pondering the problem of "lesser evils". Presented with a third party challenger with little chance of success, I will vote for one of the principals, presented with Bloomberg and a fair shot of derailing a Kerry vs Romney candidacy, the Independent gets my vote.

Black and white questions do not work well in a grey world.

But, the game is entertaining, so I play.

der Brucer

NOTE: I am not inviting debate on my positions, merely pointing out the problem of evaluating the results of Yes/No type quizs.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 08:58:33 AM by DERBRUCER »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2007, 08:40:41 AM »

Ask BK: What is this mentoring program of which you speak?  Is it through something formalized, like ANMT?  Or did writers seek you out and ask for mentoring?

The writer asked me to do it - it's turned into a LOT of work, but I like this sort of thing and always find it interesting, and the process is certainly interesting for the writer.  He's paying for it, so that's always nice, too.

Miss Karen

« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2007, 08:41:08 AM »

On that shocking and electrifying Sun-Uranus parallel, I will make my exit -- things to do, papers to write, rooms to clean, and hedges to trim ... Ciao!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2007, 08:41:31 AM »

...the floor guy should finish sealing the floors today (a bit smelly...

Did you suggest a good deodorant?

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »

I also thought West Hollywood worked better, and I'm sure we'll put it back the way it was.  Actually, the change was recommended to me by someone elmore knows - as it turns out all this guy's suggestions were awful - he told me gay people in NY wouldn't put up with the West Hollywood reference.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2007, 08:50:48 AM »

Thanks, der B, I will. No, not an avatar. It's a drawing that relates to a discussion Singdaw and I had in NY.

Let's see if I did the trick:

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2007, 08:52:55 AM »

Busy morning, leading up to the Oct. 15 final-extension tax deadline

singdaw

« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2007, 08:53:03 AM »

and answered "yes", which threw my profile fat to the left.

If you can patent a process which allows people the choice of where to transfer their profile fat, you may be on to something big!    ;)

And please forgive me for making light of what was a well-reasoned post with many legitimate points.

singdaw

« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2007, 08:54:15 AM »

Wow, DR Jeanne!!  [and thanks, DR dB!]

I wish I had a pinkie's worth of your drawing talent!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2007, 08:56:27 AM »

Jeanne's pic loads much faster if hosted:

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2007, 09:01:26 AM »

If you can patent a process which allows people the choice of where to transfer their profile fat, you may be on to something big!    ;)

And please forgive me for making light of what was a well-reasoned post with many legitimate points.

Why, SingPicky, whatever do you mean? - the post clearly says "far"

der Brucer

As for "forgiveness", take up the issue with Sister Karen.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 09:20:04 AM by DERBRUCER »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2007, 09:02:17 AM »

I took that political quiz yesterday.

It had me totally "on the fence", equally at home with Democratic and Republican candidates.

I'm nothing if not inconsistent.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2007, 09:03:15 AM »

Why, SingPicky, whatever do you mean? - the post clearly saws "far".

But does it saw smoothly?

(My pleasure, slipshod!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2007, 09:07:30 AM »

Phone has already rung three times since eight o'clock this morning.

singdaw

« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2007, 09:09:32 AM »

;D

singdaw

« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2007, 09:10:19 AM »

Phone has already rung three times since eight o'clock this morning.

If you hear a knock on the ceiling three times, it means somebody wants you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up