Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: TIME IS THE GREAT LEVELER  (Read 83634 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TIME IS THE GREAT LEVELER
« on: October 11, 2007, 12:00:06 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had both time and levels, and now it is time for you to post until the great leveled cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 12:56:07 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TIME IS THE GREAT LEVELER
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 12:02:29 AM »

And the word of the day is: PAWKY!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 12:31:57 AM »

"Pawky and Bess" premiered on Broadway Oct. 10, 1935.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 12:34:18 AM »

When you do that all-white production of "Porgy and Bess", BK, I will be in the opening night audience.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 12:40:29 AM »

"Pushing Daisies," Angela, is about a young man who owns a pie shop.  He has a certain "other" talent, too.  If he touches dead people, they come back to life.  If he touches them again, they become dead again.  If he doesn't touch them for one week, someone/something else dies in their place.  This is true of people or animals.  Kristen Chenoweth is his employee, Olive, in the pie shop.  She's "got it bad" for her boss, but he doesn't see her as anyone romantic.

Tonight, Kristen sang "Hopelessly Devoted" from "Grease."  Every girl who was in that NBC show earlier this year -- the one that cast the current version of "Grease" on Broadway -- is  a "rank" amateur by comparison.   Man can she belt a tune!

She did the number while she was "closing up" at her boss' request.  There was a guy in the scene who was polishing the floor, but he was wearing earphones to go with his iPod.  Her movements were choreographed to go with his, although both their backs were to each other.  It put a smile on my face.  And it ended much too quickly.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 11:00:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 12:44:34 AM »

Why am I up?

It's a still night.  And it's a bit "close."  I got up to turn on a floor fan.  

And to take some aspiring.  So, while I'm processing the aspirin, I'm online.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 12:47:08 AM »

I'm very much looking forward to tonight's "Ugly Betty", "Smallville," "Grey's Anatomy" and "Supernatura" (most of which I wont' watch, I'm guessing, until Saturday.  I'm certain I'll DVR the latter three.  I always watch "Ugly Betty" as it airs.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 12:56:07 AM »

I've also got to tackle "The Lodger" sometime this weekend.  Possibly I'll even watch "The Undying Monster."

By the by....if any of you out there is a fan of "A Matter of Life and Death"  (aka "Stairway to Heaven"), TCM is airing it later this month.  It's either Oct. 22nd or 24th.  I've already set my DVR to pick it up, so I don't know the actual date off the top of my head.

If you don't know it, you OWE IT TO YOURSELF to see it.  It's one of cinema's great serious fantasies, and it stars David Niven and Kim Hunter.

In a nutshell (from the IMDb):

Returning to England from a bombing run in May 1945, flyer Peter Carter's plane is damaged and his parachute ripped to shreds. He has his crew bail out safely, but figures it is curtains for himself. He gets on the radio, and talks to June, a young American woman working for the RAF, and they are quite moved by each other's voices. Then he jumps, preferring this to burning up with his plane. He wakes up in the surf. It was his time to die, but there was a mixup in heaven. They couldn't find him in all that fog. By the time his "Conductor" catches up with him 20 hours later, Peter and June have met and fallen in love. This changes everything, and since it happened through no fault of his own, Peter figures that heaven owes him a second chance. Heaven agrees to a trial to decide his fate.

It is a 1946 Michael Powell-Emeric Pressburger film.

It's not currently available on a quality DVD, and infrequent airings on TV are the only other source for it of which I know. (this last sentence edited to clarify availability)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 11:01:19 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 12:57:59 AM »

I have not played board games for quite a few years.  I always found "Cluedo" a lot of fun.  (especially when the players had had a few drinks! "Professor Pipe in the Green room with a plum").  That's "Clue" in the USA I think. It was also a great game to use as a teaching aid for deductive reasoning.

I found board games quite a useful device in teaching - games based on stock markets and basic economic theory were way more useful than textbooks in some cases.  The devising of games by students was also an interesting exercise.  (I guess these days that they would be devising Computer Games instead).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 01:21:42 AM »

"In the wee small hours of the morning..."

singdaw

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 01:32:28 AM »

And to take some aspiring.

We could all take some aspiring.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 01:40:17 AM »

"Pusing Daisies," Angela, is about a young man who owns a pie shop.  He has a certain "other" talent, too.  If he touches dead people, they come back t life.  If he touches them again, they become dead again.  If he doesn't touch them for one week, someone/something else dies in their place.  This is true of people or animals....

I enjoy this show, too...although I haven't watched the latest episode.  But, if I remember correctly, he has only one minute to re-touch the people to make them dead again, not a week, before some random person in close proximity dies instead.  That's a very unusual, and specific, requirement.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

singdaw

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 02:02:23 AM »

WOD:

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 02:05:22 AM »

Flirtatious Michelle loved to be pawky with all the guys, but since she was married she had to do it on the sly.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 02:12:24 AM »

Thunderations, we're having a bit of storm here in Rehoboth.  A downpour of rain, and a rattling of thunder.  Poor Bonnie has been hiding at my feet - we used to think it was just Marty who was scared of the thunder, but now that he's gone, she's the one who gets worried.  

Der Brucer will be so thrilled when I get him to drive me to work in a little bit.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 02:26:13 AM »

BK, Timothy Brock's score to "Sunrise" is available on CD.  It was recorded by the Olympia (WA) Chamber Orchestra when Tim was the conductor!  I'd met him several times when he used to live here in Olympia.  He wrote and recorded several new scores for silent movies that have since been released on DVD. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 03:53:10 AM »

Der Brucer will be so thrilled when I get him to drive me to work in a little bit.

Thrilled, NOT!

Back to bed.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 04:31:11 AM »

Good morning Tom and Jennifer

Ben

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 04:31:29 AM »

Long day ahead for me. At least the bowl is washed.

Ben

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 04:31:54 AM »

Today is National Coming Out Day. But I'm already out!

Ben

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 04:32:10 AM »

And About

Ben

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 04:32:47 AM »

As I try to push us to Page 2

Ben

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 04:34:05 AM »

Not a day off (except for Sundays) until Wednesday, November 21 when we close at 1pm for Thanksgiving

Ben

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 04:34:29 AM »

I need to return to the Paul G. Allen Family Foundation.

Ben

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 04:34:47 AM »

Au revoir, mes amis.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 04:48:04 AM »

Good morning, Jennifer.

Good morning, ArnoldMBrockman.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 04:49:54 AM »

And the word of the day is: PAWKY!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  ALWAYS TRUE TO YOU IN MY FASHION

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 04:51:01 AM »

Good Morning TCB

And a hearty Good Morning to All

FJL

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 05:10:29 AM »

I'm caught up.  That went quicker than usual.

singdaw

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 05:12:41 AM »

TIME IS THE GREAT[/size]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up