Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: 5000 MEMBERS  (Read 91897 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:5000 MEMBERS
« Reply #300 on: October 17, 2007, 05:36:39 PM »

As usual, one of my favorite things about auditions is getting to see some old friends, albeit briefly.  And I saw many familiar faces today...  Including DR Ben's ever-loving Ant, as well as DR td's Evil Twin, and sometimes/former DR Janet.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #301 on: October 17, 2007, 05:39:10 PM »

And since I've caught up on the day's posts...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #302 on: October 17, 2007, 05:41:30 PM »

So did I - let's adopt each other!  We both love our sons dearly, but from watching how my guy cousins interact with my aunt and how Richard and his brothers interacted with their mother, I'm pretty sure we daughterless mothers are going to need girlfriends in our old age!

Or daughter-in-laws like us :)

Ginny

« Reply #303 on: October 17, 2007, 05:43:54 PM »

Or daughter-in-laws like us :)

Well, yes, there's that, too...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #304 on: October 17, 2007, 05:43:55 PM »

I am reading Seth Rudetsky’s riotous new book: .

In it, he describes a maddening situation where he’s playing an audition for a young girl who is not prepared.  She gives him the music in the wrong key.  He sight-transposes it flawlessly; however, since the girl is not prepared, she does not do very well, with lots of wrong notes.  And after each one, she glances over at him, like HE’s causing HER to make all the mistakes.  Afterwards, she says to him, “Thanks, anyway!” as she picks up the music.  And the person conducting the audition says to him, “Transposing at sight is very difficult.  Not everyone can do it.”  The young girl's glances at her accompanist had apparently fooled the director, as well!!

So, DR JoseSPiano, has anything like this ever happened to you?

Well...  I don't think anything like that has ever happened to me.  However, I have been "stumped" a few times by some pieces of music (I freely admit to that), but I've made it quite known that if anything went wrong it was most definitely my fault.  In other words, they could Blame Jose.   ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #305 on: October 17, 2007, 05:46:51 PM »

Edi, your kitty in the bed photo makes me miss having one of my own to snuggle in bed with.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #306 on: October 17, 2007, 05:47:30 PM »

Gosh, you can barely see them but they are there, next to the yellow fire hydrant-and no, Sherlock does not use it.

Well, its damn well time he learned how!

der Brucer

Well, I don't think that you demonstrating how would be the best way for him to learn!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #307 on: October 17, 2007, 05:48:37 PM »

I know none of these songs, save for Pink Fish, which is indeed being done.  If you can send me mp3s I can check them out.

Hmm... A couple of those songs are from Weird Romance - which gives me a nice, little cry when I listen to the OCR.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #308 on: October 17, 2007, 05:49:24 PM »

LOL-NOW WAY!!  If he begins to lift his leg I yell.  I told Keith if we have a leg lifter he is never getting a male dog again ;D

I guess we know what Keith is not allowed to do.
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #309 on: October 17, 2007, 05:53:43 PM »

Well, I've just spent the morning trying to avoid a charge against my checkcard.

The result was to cancel the card.

That led to contacting folks with whom I have orders pending and giving them all new credit card information.

The reason for this:  "Grill Daddy"

That's right.  "Grill Daddy".

I ordered a Grill Daddy three weeks ago.  Yesterday, I tried contacting the good folks (thillco.com) who sent me an order confirmation to inquire as to the status of my order.  I felt I should have my Grill Daddy by now.

To my surprise/dismay, my e-mails were returned with a note that the addressee was "no longer a valid e-mail address."  I went online and, to my horror, found many entries about scams, including a local TV news report on the Grill Daddy....one part saying the item didn't work well and the other part saying that few people who order it ever get it, but do get multiple charges against their credit cards.

I am happy to report no charges for "Grill Daddy" were applied to my now-cancelled checkcard.  It will take about a week to replace the card, but there it is.

And another huge lesson learned....always check online before ordering from "infomercials".

Damn Grill Daddy!  Damn him to hell!

Hmm... Is this another "danger" of Hi-Def/Plasma TV?  Do people with such televisions tend to buy more stuff from informercials?  Do the products being hawked "pop" more on the big screen?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #310 on: October 17, 2007, 05:54:05 PM »

;D  

Keith is standing next to me, I'm trying to decide if I should tell him what you said.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #311 on: October 17, 2007, 05:55:05 PM »

Together?  At the same time?  Singing the same song?

(One can always dream. . .)

Of course, having seen Mr. Smith onscreen in Pirates of Penzance, the title of today's Column makes a lot of sense. . . .

Two Words:  "Solid Gold"
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #312 on: October 17, 2007, 05:58:34 PM »

DR TCB - That production of Sweeney Todd with Jarrod Emick is not based on the John Doyle revival.  That production is currently on tour with Judy Kaye as Mrs. Lovett.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #313 on: October 17, 2007, 05:59:29 PM »

Congrats to DR Noel, and all the NYMF honorees and participants.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #314 on: October 17, 2007, 06:10:15 PM »

Based on the recent Broadway production?  I love Jarrod Emick, but I am glad I didn't buy a ticket.

DR TCB - That production of Sweeney Todd with Jarrod Emick is not based on the John Doyle revival.  That production is currently on tour with Judy Kaye as Mrs. Lovett.

No, it has nothing "officially" to do with the John Doyle Broadway revival.  From what I understand, they basically copied the concept of the setting, the costumes and a smaller cast.  But I think that they have a separate orchestra/band playing...not the actors as orchestra.  I'll find out in an hour and a half!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #315 on: October 17, 2007, 06:10:52 PM »

;D  

Keith is standing next to me, I'm trying to decide if I should tell him what you said.

Tell him.  Then report back to us what he said.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #316 on: October 17, 2007, 06:13:08 PM »

No, it has nothing "officially" to do with the John Doyle Broadway revival.  From what I understand, they basically copied the concept of the setting, the costumes and a smaller cast.  But I think that they have a separate orchestra/band playing...not the actors as orchestra.  I'll find out in an hour and a half!

Well, then it could be like the "Teeny Sweeney" that was done in NYC a couple of years ago at Circle in the Square, or like Signature Theatre's in Arlington, VA.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #317 on: October 17, 2007, 06:18:55 PM »

I'm listening to John Fogerty singing "Long Dark Night".

The protest/political comment song is still alive!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #318 on: October 17, 2007, 06:19:28 PM »

This has actually been an okay day, sort of.  Only one really annoying thing, and that thing was so outrageous as to be laughable, when an agent (a complete - forgive my language - ASShole) of one of our Brain cast members sent Equity a copy of a private e-mail volley with me, in which I'd responded to a thoroughly obnoxious e-mail and told him how much this show had cost me to produce.  Since the number I quoted, really in anger at him, was way above what is allowed by Equity to be spent on the production, he thought he'd be cute and try to cause us trouble.  I got a note from Equity saying they were instructing NYMF to hold our box-office monies until we showed proof that we spent what we were supposed to.  Needless to say, I responded to this idiot from Equity immediately, asking her a) why she felt it necessary to go to NYMF first, based on a third party private correspondence without calling the general manager and asking US first, and b) I informed her in no uncertain terms that we spent exactly what we were supposed to and that we have a paper trail a mile long to back it up.  I then informed her that when you factored in the actor and stage manager money, the rehearsal hall money, my living expenses for seven weeks, flights, my lodgings for seven weeks, the NYMF advance fee, NONE OF WHICH ARE PART OF THE PRODUCTION BUDGET, that the number I spouted off in anger to the agent adds up perfectly - you take all those numbers and add them to the allowable production budget and voila - it's the number I spouted.  I told her I expected a response to my e-mail, and I copied NYMF (who were shocked by Equity's letter and totally understood my response to it).  Furthermore, my GM has written her own accusatory letter to them and basically told them they will NOT be holding ANY monies of ours and that all they had to do was ask for our expense sheet.  They will have that tomorrow.  Meanwhile, I'm going to do whatever I can to cause this ASShole agent grief, including filing a formal complaint against him with Equity and NYMF.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #319 on: October 17, 2007, 06:19:46 PM »

On my way to rehearsal, after which I'll return.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #320 on: October 17, 2007, 06:35:51 PM »

I'm off to see the Sweeney!
The creepy ol' Sweeney of Todd!!

;)

I'll have a report when I get back.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 06:36:04 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #321 on: October 17, 2007, 06:46:20 PM »

I don't think I have ever seen a James Spader movie.

You never saw STARGATE?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #322 on: October 17, 2007, 06:57:24 PM »

Tell him.  Then report back to us what he said.

I did, and decided not to post his response ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 06:57:40 PM by Jane »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #323 on: October 17, 2007, 06:58:38 PM »

"Well, I could have told you, Vincent
The world was never meant for one
as beautiful as you..."

I think he is kind of strange looking........ and I'm desperate.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 07:29:24 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #324 on: October 17, 2007, 07:02:16 PM »

George, looking forward to that report.

Ginny

« Reply #325 on: October 17, 2007, 07:02:31 PM »

When our DS Rob was about 10 years old, I went away on a business trip and came back to find him totally enthralled with ancient Egypt, including having chalked hieroglyphics on the chimney in our garage.  Come to find out, he and Richard had watched Stargate while I was gone and that's what piqued Rob's interest.

Not long after that, we got our one and only pet, a sweet parakeet who received the ferocious name, Horus-The Egyptian Falcon God.

I just checked, and, yep, the hieroglyphics can still be seen out in the garage.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #326 on: October 17, 2007, 07:02:51 PM »

You never saw STARGATE?

Shocking, isn't it.  :o ;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #327 on: October 17, 2007, 07:04:06 PM »

This picture may be too shocking for HHW:

ROTFLMAO
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #328 on: October 17, 2007, 07:07:12 PM »

Hmm... I guess I should have some dinner, but I'm really not hungry... Now that's shocking!
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #329 on: October 17, 2007, 07:08:43 PM »

DR Jane ~ Your fall photos make me wish I was there to take Deuce for his walk in your park.

Is Deuce your husband?
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up