Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIDAY FOOD THOUGHTS  (Read 70109 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:FRIDAY FOOD THOUGHTS
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2007, 10:41:38 AM »

EBAY:  I've had a couple of encounters with Sellers, JMK, who offer "Buy it now" items.  I "buy it now", I "commit" to the purchase and I "pay immediately."

I then wait and wait and wait.  I write an e-mail asking about my order.  

Order?  What order?  We get so many.  What was the item number? (My query is ALWAYS from the auction page and the item name/number is in the subject line).

Then I get, "We don't currently have that in stock.  Do you want us to order one for you?"

I fume and spew, but I ask for a refund and make it clear that as long as my money is refunded in full, I won't leave any type of feedback.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2007, 10:44:54 AM »

Question about last night's UGLY BETTY

I also did not like seeing Justin act out.  But why was he kissing a girl? I thought his character was gay?

DR Jennifer, there are any number of gay men, perhaps even on HHW, who have sexual relationships with women, just as there are many lesbians who were married and have children.  Nothing is completely black and white, and you're being naive to think so.  While I was at The Drama book Shop for 15 years or so, I knew many young actors straight out of college who arrived in Manhattan with girlfriends and ended up with boyfriends.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2007, 10:47:11 AM »

Question about last night's UGLY BETTY

SPOILERS

I also did not like seeing Justin act out.  But why was he kissing a girl? I thought his character was gay?

STRAIGHT GIRL SPOILER ALERT:

Gay men do kiss girls - some so a very fine job of it!

Justin (both actor and presumably character) are 13. At 13 not many young men are consciously homosexual (and those of us who were so aware were also very aware that one did not express these proclivities in public). The character of Justin has not been scripted as gay - if viewers perceive him to be gay, it is a result of their own stereotypical assumptions. 13 is a time of sexual awakening and discovery - even in real life, a Justin destined to be an "open and notorious" homosexual would most likely be going to school dances and kissing girls. Even men who carried on frequent sexual liaisons with other men at 13 went on the date for the senior prom, play football in college, join fraternities, serve in the Military, marry and sire children - and then, finally, settle down with the other man of their choice.

Also, even in today's more enlightened times, Disney owned ABC would not dare to present an openly homosexual 13 year old on an 8PM family hour show.

Even TV is to be permitted its closets.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2007, 10:47:45 AM »

Anyone here have any thoughts/comments/reactions/concerns about the SUPERBUG?

I'm glad to see Volkswagon bring it back.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2007, 10:48:06 AM »

I knew many young actors straight out of college

A euphemism if ever I read one!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2007, 10:52:10 AM »

Oh, I certainly do...loved those movies when I was a kid...although they really were just a European ripoff of the beloved LOVE BUG, you know.

I'm more specifically seeking input on this Superbug .

:D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 10:54:47 AM by Ron Pulliam »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2007, 10:53:11 AM »

Oh, I certainly do...loved those movies when I was a kid...although they really were just a European ripoff of the beloved LOVE BUG, you know.

I am so very afraid you are serious!

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2007, 10:53:19 AM »

I had an awful row at the post office with a total bitch at window 5 who became loud and hostile simply because I wanted to report the problem of a broken postbox at 82nd and Amsterdam.  She kept yelling at me to go the the window where one picks up held mail, which I had already done and waited for a clerk who never showed, and when I protested, she went ballistic and started bitching her head off at the top of her lungs.  I told her to havea good day but I wanted to tell her to go screw herself and the horse she rode in on.  Now I can't find an appropriate subkject on the US Postal site to complain about the damned harridan.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2007, 10:57:12 AM »

At least you're typing, Jane.  It gives me a smile to see the economizing on the luxuries of capital letters!  :)

spell check is making my life much easier-i make a lot of mistakes typing with one finger :D

DERBRUCER

« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2007, 10:57:31 AM »

I don't have a VCR player.   :'(

Maybe that's because there is no TV in your room :)

The kitchen TV has a built in VCR and there is a portable VCR next to the bedroom TV (which can be easily moved attached to the living room TV).

The End

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2007, 10:58:51 AM »

And while I'm kvetching, what's all this Vampire-Zombie-other invitation barrage on Facebook.com?  Every day I am pestered with invitations to be in my "top best friends" join a group called "I joined this Facebook Group so where's the T-shirt?," to be bitten and bite other Vampires and zombies! What the hell?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2007, 10:59:48 AM »

Ah...well then....I was shocked, I tell you, shocked when I saw that MBarnum actually knew who James Ivory is.  I then heaved a sigh of relief when I realized it wasn't because he'd ever seen "Howard's End" or "A Room With A View" but because Ivory had done some Bollywood films.

;D

;D

Jane

« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2007, 11:00:16 AM »

I noticed that, too. Jane, do you know the story of Archie and Mehitabel?

not really.  isn't one of them a cockroach

Jennifer

« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2007, 11:01:35 AM »

UGLY BETTY SPOILERS

[size=8] SPOILER [/size]

"Ugly Betty" -- I didn't much appreciate the writers having Betty take credit for someone else's story in her writing class.  Her character has been established quite well up until now, and that was totally out of character.

Thus far, this season, Henry has been a blank.  It's disappointing.

Mark and Amanda are totally coming into their own, though.  Mark is stealing ALL of his scenes.

Justin's sexual "bent", as it were, is not something that is exclusively one way or another at this point.  I've known a few "big ole sissies" who are happily heterosexual.   As for his age (re: BK's looking for a 12-year-old), I'm thinking he's about 14.

I'm totally loving the arc with Daniel's sister(/brother) having amnesia and recalling things pre-operation when She was a He!  She's doing a terrific job in the role, too.

I also found Betty taking credit for someone else's work a bit uncharacteristic. But i suppose they did show it at first happening by accident. and Victor Garber was mean!

I love love marc and amanda. They are so funny!

I checked i believe justin just turned 13. That is sort of what i thought (12-13).
I guess his behavior (acting out) and him kissing that girl just all took me totally by surprise. I mean he was working at Mode just last week and seemed to be doing well.  For some reason he seems to much more mature than other kids his age. I just thought that we were supposed to figure he was gay (the same way we are suppose to know marc is gay).

I think the ABC/Disney 8pm angle is an interesting one.  I guess maybe it was just me (here) who was surprised by the kiss.  I mean it's not that i would expect to have them showing him kissing  a boy.  But it was just the fact that they showed him kissing a girl. I was wondering if they were trying to make a point telling us he was not gay.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 11:14:27 AM by Jennifer »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2007, 11:01:59 AM »

I had an awful row at the post office with a total bitch at window 5 who became loud and hostile simply because I wanted to report the problem of a broken postbox at 82nd and Amsterdam.  She kept yelling at me to go the the window where one picks up held mail, which I had already done and waited for a clerk who never showed, and when I protested, she went ballistic and started bitching her head off at the top of her lungs.  I told her to havea good day but I wanted to tell her to go screw herself and the horse she rode in on.  Now I can't find an appropriate subkject on the US Postal site to complain about the damned harridan.

It's an epidemic in your city, apparently.

Can you not call the post office branch and speak to a supervisor?  If you get no satisfactionk, call the Postmaster General of the United States...stuff will start rolling downhill from there!

td

• td
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2007, 11:02:19 AM »

And while I'm kvetching, what's all this Vampire-Zombie-other invitation barrage on Facebook.com?  Every day I am pestered with invitations to be in my "top best friends" join a group called "I joined this Facebook Group so where's the T-shirt?," to be bitten and bite other Vampires and zombies! What the hell?

It's Halloween time, DR elmore!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2007, 11:02:30 AM »

One of the oft-overlooked aspects of renovation is the amount of cleaning needed afterwards.

i know far too well about that aspect. :-[

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2007, 11:04:47 AM »

My goodness but you have some interesting friends.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2007, 11:06:36 AM »

Quit yer grippin' - at least she didn't go postal, pull out her piece, and blow you away :D

der Brucer

PS:

Go HERE TO BITCH ABOUT USPS SERVICE

General Information / Complaints (24 Hour/Live Person)

The Integrated Voice Response (IVR) system is the telephone system that provides automated USPS information.Call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777) if you need to put your mail on Hold, if you would like to schedule a Redelivery, if you have a question, compliment, complaint, or suggestion , or help you find whatever you may be looking for, you go through the following options:

Greeting - "Thank you for calling the United States Postal Service."
Language Choice Press 2 for Spanish; if you press nothing, it defaults to English.
You then go into the main IVR menu. The system prompts you for a verbal response (where you state the phrase and the system translates the vocal choice).
The five (5) main IVR menu options and a couple of sub-options are as follows:
Find a ZIP Code
Get Mailing Rates
Track and Confirm a Package
Delivery Services
Hold Mail
Change of Address
Request a Redelivery
Post Office Information (Post Office Hours and Locations)
Delivery Assistance (For Assistance With Delivery of Your Mail)
More Options
Change of Address
Passport Information
Buy Stamps
Post Office Information (Post Office Hours and Locations)
Other Information (For Complaint, Compliment or Suggestion) [this transfers to an Agent]

(They also have data For Email, and snail mail - including writing the Inspector General.)

der Brucer

td

• td
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2007, 11:07:43 AM »

. . .all I gotta say is that Donna Lynne Champlin started it with a zombie and I retaliated with a vampire. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Cillaliz

« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2007, 11:08:36 AM »

Well, the news isn't too good for Callie. It's a full blown relapse. We went 2 1/2 years after the first one and now 4 weeks since the last one.  She had an enema this morning already (I think she's having a worse day than I am).  I have a feeling she won't be coming home tonight.  Her condition isn't quite as bad as a month ago, so maybe it won't take as much to get her back on her feet. I'm hoping.  

The office girl (not a term I normally use, but she was rude to me, so there) was quite rude again so I told her I just need to speak to the doctor, now, thank you.  He answered right away and he explained all the treatment that was underway. I did ask him if he had new staff out front, he said there are two need staff members. I said I felt she was very rude to me.  He said she was just in training, and I told him I thought that he needed to know.  

Then I called the tire place, they hadn't gotten around to picking up my car yet.  Hopefully they have gotten it by now, but I don't know.  

My nephew Adam, DR Sam's brother, should be here any minute.  We're still going to do that late lunch, then he said he'd take me to the vet and I'm hoping to the tire place where, since I know I ran over a screw and I know the sidewalls look trashed, I'll be buying my 5th tire in 2 days.  

I've been in tears a few times about Callie, but other than that I've really kept my sense of humor today.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 11:12:16 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2007, 11:09:19 AM »

The appointment with my client went very well and I called to make sure my parents made it to my sister's house where they are visiting for the weekend.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2007, 11:09:51 AM »

Yes, Archie is a cockroach who uses his boss's typewriter at night by jumping on one key at a time, and thus cannot do caps (apparently there is no CAPS LOCK or it's broken). He writes charming stories, many of which include Mehitabel the cat. They're quite fun. Rosalie Sorrels used to sing a song about Mehitabel.

EDI, do you know these stories? (something tells me EDI would know them)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2007, 11:10:15 AM »

It seems Barnum is contagious!

der Brucer

Jennifer

« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2007, 11:11:40 AM »

Thanks for the comments re: justin DRs Elmore, Der Brucer and RonP!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2007, 11:12:56 AM »

Often said about one half of a partnership about the other ;D

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2007, 11:12:59 AM »

Yes, Archie is a cockroach who uses his boss's typewriter at night by jumping on one key at a time, and thus cannot do caps (apparently there is no CAPS LOCK or it's broken). He writes charming stories, many of which include Mehitabel the cat. They're quite fun. Rosalie Sorrels used to sing a song about Mehitabel.

EDI, do you know these stories? (something tells me EDI would know them)

They are great, we read them in high school

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2007, 11:13:10 AM »

It's an epidemic in your city, apparently.

Can you not call the post office branch and speak to a supervisor?  If you get no satisfactionk, call the Postmaster General of the United States...stuff will start rolling downhill from there!

A couple years ago I tried calling my local PO, only to learn that they now only publish an 800 number, which is nationwide or regional or something and you can't even talk to that branch! Interestingly, you can still call another branch that's a bit further away.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2007, 11:14:29 AM »

Just got an interesting e-mail from the head of the LA Festival of New Musicals, saying she'd placed the Brain at a theater in Anaheim, and that I'd be contacted about the details.  I don't know what "placed" means exactly, whether this theater does its own production with its own creative team or just pays for the show and we come and do it (as I understand it, each theater must pay for their production) - if it's the former, I'll have to meet with them and be comfortable that they'd do the show proud, if it's the latter, I have to look at the theater.  Still, grand to be offered.

Cillaliz

« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2007, 11:18:14 AM »

Well, I spy Adam out my window so I'll sign off now....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up