Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FORTY-EIGHT D'S  (Read 40279 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE FORTY-EIGHT D'S
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2007, 08:54:26 AM »

Well, this should do it....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2007, 08:57:04 AM »

And it appears it did do it...

Welcome to Page Three!!!

Everyone Do The Elliptical Dance!!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 08:57:46 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2007, 08:59:09 AM »

DR MattH, BOSTON LEGAL was not on last night due to a news update on the California fires.

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2007, 08:59:53 AM »

I'm trying to click on that link that DR Der Brucer gave last night (re: the fires). it's probably just me but when i click i get nothing. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2007, 09:00:17 AM »

I mean it won't click at all (not that the page turns up blank).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2007, 09:03:06 AM »

In other news, it appears I will be spending a bit of time with the upcoming Boston production of White Christmas next week.  Alas, I will be rehearsing here in Manhattan, but I'm looking forward to some "Irving Berlin Immersion". :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2007, 09:05:50 AM »

DR Jennifer - If you Google for Los Angeles and San Diego area TV stations, you should be able to pull up their sites, and most of them have Evacuation Zone updates.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2007, 09:07:02 AM »

Wow, DR Cillaliz we are still agreeing on DANCING WITH THE STARS? :)

So who are your favorites?

I would say my clear favorite is helio and julianne.  I am impressed with sabrina (i think she's good but i'm not voting for her). I am starting to like Cameron.  I think jennie is improving a lot. I also think mel is good. But i'm also not voting for her.

Who do you think will be F3?  And how much longer do you think marie osmond will last?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2007, 09:12:11 AM »

Hmm.. Maybe you are in retrograde?

;)

In the meantime, sip some green tea.

Perhaps I am.  I've been told that Geminis are particularly sensitive to Mercury retrograde.

Right now I'm sipping some tomato bisque soup.

Oh, and one of the phone lines isn't working. sigh. See?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2007, 09:14:43 AM »

Want to join me out in the rain for some pancakes?

Thank you, Laura. Believe me, if we were closer I'd say YES!

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2007, 09:16:33 AM »

Thanks DR Jose. I did do what you suggested. But i see updates and random places for evacuations. For some reason i do not see an entire grid or anything like that.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2007, 09:19:07 AM »

Everyone Do The Elliptical Dance!!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

My stationary bike is just a few feet away, workout towel neatly resting on the chair back, bottle of water conveniently nearby--and Jeanne saying, "No way today, Jose."

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2007, 09:19:51 AM »

I'm trying to click on that link that DR Der Brucer gave last night (re: the fires). it's probably just me but when i click i get nothing. :(

Same for me, Jennifer--nothing.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2007, 09:22:04 AM »

I know what I need: CHOCOLATE!

wbb in a few minutes.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2007, 09:29:49 AM »

LATIMESder Brucer

And did Dumbledore miss an opportunity, ever, to ask the developing Potter:  "Is there something you want to tell me, Harry?"
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 11:15:53 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2007, 09:37:55 AM »

DRs Jennifer and Jeanne - Here's the most recent Fire Map from CNN.com:

CLICK HERE
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2007, 09:40:10 AM »

My question for ASK BK day....

Have you seen MAD MEN yet?

You haven't lived until you have seen the prettiest mom in the neighborhood out in the backyard in her peignoir, Salem hanging from her mouth, making short work of the neighbor's pigeons with a shotgun.

I haven't seen it.  Do I get the channel it's on?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2007, 09:40:54 AM »

DR Jennifer

[size=8]SPOILER[/size]

In "Heroes" on Monday evening, Kristen Bell's character "murdered" Ricky, brother of Caitlin, in his own pub just to extract information from him.

I don't quite know how you interpreted this act on her behalf, but if a red-hot poker were pointed at me, I'd have to say her character is e-v-i-l!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2007, 09:41:40 AM »

I haven't seen it.  Do I get the channel it's on?

Do you get AMC?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »

It's on AMC - but I watch it the next day ON DEMAND from Comcast....if you have ON DEMAND it's usually under TV ENTERTAINMENT.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2007, 09:43:24 AM »

WOW!

I just finished watching the season finale of "Damages" courtesy of the DVR...

WOW!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2007, 09:45:41 AM »

I believe we have had some informed opinion on the transfers in the new Kubrick box set - by me, who is a hell of a lot more informed than most of the people who write for these websites - not you, MattH, but the kids who have no idea what these films looked like when they were originally shown.  Instead, we get comments like "black levels are pitch."  The blather about The Searchers' transfer told the tale a lot more eloquently than I could - with everyone tripping over themselves to say how brilliant it was because it was SHARP.  Sharp doesn't mean a transfer is great, it means it's sharp.  But for almost every "reviewer" at these sites, that's all it took to get a rave, and they said the color was magnificent.  Only people who actually knew what The Searchers' color is supposed to look like stood up (me included) and loudly proclaimed the transfer a four-star disaster - the color being a sad joke and looking nothing like the IB Tech prints of that film.  Same with The Nun's Story, same with Breakfast At Tiffany's and the same with others.  If those are informed opinions, I'll eat a chocolate donut.  

Oh, good - I'm now eating a chocolate donut.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2007, 09:46:07 AM »

MAD MEN:

Joan: (top secretary to Peggy, new secretary)  And here is your typewriter.  I know it looks very complicated, but it's actually easy to use.

Peggy: (looking) Oh, dear.

Next post to see what she was looking at.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2007, 09:46:22 AM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2007, 09:46:45 AM »

And now on to "The Young & The Restless: Out of the Ashes"..  From the sublime to the ridiculous.

*Although, I have to say that it looks like CBS splurged on this disaster scenario.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2007, 09:48:05 AM »

I never liked a typewriter that had a moving typing ball instead of a moving carriage.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2007, 09:49:06 AM »

What movie, if any, are we looking forward to as the BIG MOVIE SEASON approaches.

I am intrigued of course by SWEENEY TODD.....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2007, 09:49:42 AM »

I believe we have had some informed opinion on the transfers in the new Kubrick box set - by me, who is a hell of a lot more informed than most of the people who write for these websites - not you, MattH, but the kids who have no idea what these films looked like when they were originally shown.  Instead, we get comments like "black levels are pitch."  The blather about The Searchers' transfer told the tale a lot more eloquently than I could - with everyone tripping over themselves to say how brilliant it was because it was SHARP.  Sharp doesn't mean a transfer is great, it means it's sharp.  But for almost every "reviewer" at these sites, that's all it took to get a rave, and they said the color was magnificent.  Only people who actually knew what The Searchers' color is supposed to look like stood up (me included) and loudly proclaimed the transfer a four-star disaster - the color being a sad joke and looking nothing like the IB Tech prints of that film.  Same with The Nun's Story, same with Breakfast At Tiffany's and the same with others.  If those are informed opinions, I'll eat a chocolate donut.  

FWIW, few people who enjoy "The Searchers" on DVD -- and it looks absolutely vibrant and colorful to them because it IS -- have any "memory" of what it "might have" looked like in Technicolor.  

And, of course, no one whose memory of it says otherwise will ever be able to prove how much more brilliant it was because, to date, no Technicolor print seems to exist.

Perhaps if those who have the perfect memories of colors more vibrant, more thrilling, more revelatory than those on the current DVD were to actually do a proper restoration, then maybe that would show "us" how terribly stupid "we" are.  After all, "we" can only discuss what we see with our own eyes.

We cannot possibly view the DVD through the eyes of 50-plus-year-old memories.

The color that IS there, however, is dazzling compared to the washed-out crap we get today.

I, for one, apologize to all and sundry here on this board for having any positive opinion upon which you have already pronounced yourself the one and only expert whose opinion is the only one that matters
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:01:31 AM by Ron Pulliam »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2007, 09:59:05 AM »

And the word of the day is: LEXIPHANES!
I like my friend Roget.  HE EXPLAINS what he means concisely and clearly, and never resorts to LEXIPHANES.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2007, 10:00:53 AM »

FWIW, few people who enjoy "The Searchers" on DVD -- and it looks absolutely vibrant and colorful to them because it IS -- have any "memory" of what it "might have" looked like in Technicolor.  

And, of course, no one whose memory of it says otherwise will ever be able to prove how much more brilliant it was because, to date, no Technicolor print seems to exist.

Perhaps if those who have the perfect memories of colors more vibrant, more thrilling, more revelatory than those on the current DVD were to actually do a proper restoration, then maybe that would show "us" how terribly stupid "we" are.  After all, "we" can only discuss what we see with our own eyes.

We cannot possibly view the DVD through the eyes of 50-plus-year-old memories.

Sorry, Ron, you can get as defensive as you like, but I don't look at these things through fifty year old memory - I know what I'm talking about, having owned both 16mm and 35mm IB Tech prints.  If you are happy with vibrant greenish skies, great.  I am not.  If you are happy with the color yellow being predominant, great.  I am not.  Winton Hoch was one of the greatest color cameramen ever and this transfer is a travesty of his work.  Those skies should be bluer than blue - they should be ACHINGLY blue.  Look at the original DVD transfer.  No, it's not as SHARP and DETAILED as the new transfer, but the COLOR is what it should be.  Why?  Because the people who DID that transfer back in the laserdisc days USED an IB Tech studio print (yes, Ron, Warners has an IB Tech perfectly-colored studio print and guess what - THEY DIDN'T USE IT when they were doing the new transfer - they forgot - they didn't care - and that comes right from Mr. Robert Harris' mouth), and they got the color as close as possible back in those days.  Had those people done this new transfer we'd ALL be raving.  

It's like Warners' new transfer of Singin' In The Rain - people rave.  It's all brown and looks nothing like IB Tech prints of that film (of which I've owned several) - they rave because it's SHARP.  And I'm telling you, SHARP is wonderful, but color is more important.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up