Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FORTY-EIGHT D'S  (Read 40278 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE FORTY-EIGHT D'S
« on: October 24, 2007, 12:11:04 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you d-voured the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're not very d-pendable.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 12:07:05 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE FORTY-EIGHT D'S
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 12:11:50 AM »

And the word of the day is: LEXIPHANES!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 12:12:04 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 12:37:53 AM »

Oct. 23: A scarecrow and Halloween pumpkins are seen in front of a burning house at the corner of Highway 330 and City Creek Road in Running Springs, Calif.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 12:44:55 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 12:43:59 AM »

`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 01:43:28 AM »

LATIMES

Seven clues that 'Potter's' Dumbledore was gay
By Deborah Netburn, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
October 23, 2007

1. His pet. "Fawkes, the many-colored phoenix,
is 'flaming.'

2. His name. "While the anagram to 'Tom Marvolo Riddle' is 'I am Lord Voldemort,' as my good friend pointed out, 'Albus Dumbledore' becomes 'Male bods rule, bud!'"

"No matter how many 'clues' I can put down that Dumbledore was gay, no matter how many millions of people have read these books again and again, Rowling surprised even the most die-hard fans with the announcement that Dumbledore was gay. And in the end, the fact that we never would have guessed is what makes Dumbledore being gay so real. So many times I have encountered friends who are gay that I never would have predicted. It has shown me that one's sexual orientation is not some obvious 'lifestyle choice,' it's a precious facet of our multi-faceted personalities. And in the end whatever the differences between our personalities are, it is time that our world heeds Dumbledore's advice: 'Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.' Today as I write this, I believe that it's time for our aims to be loyal to what the greatest wizard in the world would have wanted them to be: love."

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 02:50:38 AM »

DaVinci Meets Dante

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 04:03:36 AM »

Good morning!  It's bright dark and early here, but I have much to do today and since I don't seem to get it done when I bring work home at night, I'm going to try to get my day started before everyone realizes I'm awake.

Cillaliz

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 04:03:58 AM »

So, I'm off to start my day.  Laters

singdaw

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 04:13:13 AM »

Greetings, all.

The choral concert in NYC last night was utterly wonderful.  I am taking the day off to go back into the city to spend time with my friend Richard.

Smooches, kidz!

Ben

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 04:36:54 AM »

Morning all.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 04:40:04 AM »

And the word of the day is: LEXIPHANES!

And The Song Of The Day: BRING ME MY BRIDE

Ben

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 05:01:26 AM »

I saw Young Frankestein last night.

I had a very good time. It was a lot of fun. It's not a "blow me away" show but it's lots of fun and full of laughs. There are some very nice effects (the horses are funny) and Puttin' on the Ritz is a standout. I don't know how much it's changed since George saw it in Seattle but it's now running at a little less than 2 and a half hours. I sat in the next to the last row of the balcony in the old Apollo and Lyric Theatres, then called the Ford Center for the Performing Arts and now called The Hilton Theatre. I had no problem seeing with and without my binoculars.

Roger Bart is out for an undetermined amount of time due to a back problem but I was very happy with Matthew LaBanca (making his Broadway debut). I would like to see the show with Roger Bart but if I don't I won't be disappointed. He was quite good and I think they have a good cover if Bart is out for a while.

The show is basic Brooks, full of rat-a-tat jokes, some funny and some falling flat (of course Thomas Meehan had a hand in that also, being the book writer). Lots of the jokes come straight from the movie. Happily, we did not have the stupid and annoying behavior of the film fanatics who come to a show and scream when a favorite scene is about to take place (can you tell how much I dislike that infantile conduct ;)).

The weakest part of the show (IMHO) is the score. It's not bad by any means, but it's not particularly memorable. There are some very funny numbers (besides POTR) but I don't see them surviving outside the show.

My other "complaint" about the show is Megan Mullaly. She's fine in the the show and I know the role in the movie is small but she doesn't do a lot AND (my real complaint) for me, she was channeling Karen Walker (her character from Will and Grace) a lot. The role seems to be written that way to take advantage of the audience familiarity with her but it doesn't always work for me.

All in all, I had a good time. I left the theatre with a smile and what more can you ask for for $51.50 nowadays.

I wanted to buy a souvenir for my nephew but they were all out of the Young Frankenstein baseball cap, all they had left were the Abby Normal hats. I will go back and see if I can find a Young Frankenstein hat before Christmas. What I would really like to get is the new book by Thomas Schumacher. I saw it advertised in the Playbill. It's called "How Does the Show Go On: An Introduction to the Theater". It's geared toward kids and I think builds on the success of "High School Musical". My nephew has discovered the joys of musical theatre (he's 12) and I think he will enjoy this book. It's not due out until December 18th. I suppose I could get it that day and mail it out so it arrives before Christmas. We shall see. I'm getting my niece (his sister) something from Little Mermaid, which I see on November 14th.

And that, dear friends, with a slight detour, is my brief report on Young Frankenstein. I don't know that it will be a blockbuster but it should do well and I hope it does do well.

And now, back to the Willard L. Eccles Charitable Foundation.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 05:01:44 AM »

Ah, Forum! I love that show.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 05:02:17 AM »

Good Morning and au revoir Mr. Brockman and Mr. Simbulan

td

• td
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 05:21:21 AM »

Good Morning.   That is all.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 05:22:20 AM »

Good morning, everyone.  Have a nice day.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 05:30:52 AM »

Good Morning All

The other people in my house persist in hogging the whole computer and the boss persists in his belief that I should be working while at work so my E & T ness continues

VIBES for all... you are all inmy prayers particularly you  dear TCB that your pain be relieved, you dear Elmore that the McBeths will cease to be a thorn in your side, and that everyone in safe from flames, floods tornadoes, hurricanes and illness, bad fortune and  mean people

and off to work I go

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 05:31:47 AM »

Good morning, all!  I am back to Encores! this morning, but I've been asked to not show up until 11 am, and I've got work to do here.  This is also my last day on the project before Saturday's read down, and I want it to go as well as possible for the conductor and the orchestra as well as the editrix, who will have to face the problems she's generated.

DR Jose, thanks for the offer but I have to go it alone: this is a project that can hardly afford my exorbitant demands.

So, I have a couple of hours to work on the David Burnham orchestra parts and I can use it.

BK, I emailed you the info you requested.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 06:57:35 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 05:35:40 AM »

Good Morning All

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 05:56:19 AM »

Today - now - I get to pick up my car from the shop!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 05:56:30 AM »

Thanks for the Frankenstein Report, DR BEN.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 05:57:56 AM »

Quick Wednesday morning greetings!  Came in early this morning, because I was not ready for the October edition of Grantseeking Basics, which starts in 36 minutes.  Handouts are now assembled, props are gathered, and I'm about to head up to the Auditorium to try to get the AV to work.  Pray for Rosemary's baby.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 06:38:58 AM »

I am taking the day off to go back into the city to spend time with my friend Richard.

Taking a day off work? How will you keep up with HHW??

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 06:42:45 AM »

Good morning, everyone.

The window washer is here today. Of course, that means we're getting the first rain we've had in months of near-drought conditions. Sometimes I feel like my life is a permanent Mercury retrograde. What say JRAND to that?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 06:46:54 AM »

I'm tired. I didn't sleep well last night and it shows. I find that when I'm worn out even ordinary chores can seem daunting. Don't mind me; I just need a break.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 06:59:48 AM »

I had a rock bottom situation with Artie's last night: some idiot behind the counter got a bit of the macaroni salad mixed in with the rice pudding.  It was god-awful.

Well, I can work another 30 minutes here before I head downtown.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 07:26:45 AM »

Good morning!

The deluge of rain that we were hoping for hasn't come. It drizled just a bit eysterday, and so far today, it's humid but not raining, and the overcast from this morning seems to be clearing a bit. So who know what will eventually happen. It should start to get cooler starting tomorrow, however. I had to sleep with both the attic fan and the ceiling fan last night because the house felt a bit clammy.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 07:27:59 AM »

I got the den cleaned this morning (may have a friend drop by after lunch), and I got another L-WORD episode watched. I thought I only had two left, but actually NOW I only have two left. There are also a couple of bonus features on the disc.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 07:31:37 AM »

I haven't yet bought the Blu-ray versions of 2001 or THE SHINING (the two Kubricks I plan on getting). I thought I'd wait for a sale since I like both movies but don't often revisit them (not as much as I revisit certain musicals or the Harry Potter or James Bond films).

Just to have THE SHINING in an anamorphic widescreen (1080p) version rather than an open matte nonenhanced standard version should be quite wonderful.

I'll be looking to see some informed reviews of what the discs look like, say from JMK's review site rather than the fanboy stuff on imdb.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up