Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BREATHLESS  (Read 25721 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:BREATHLESS
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2007, 08:18:24 AM »

A HARD DAYS' NIGHT was also so influential, especially Richard Lester's directing style, and the songs could be considered the first "music videos".
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2007, 08:19:08 AM »

Hope your headache goes away, DR Elmore!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2007, 08:20:02 AM »

I know what will eventually happen – if my plan works out

Would that be... PLAN 11?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2007, 08:20:42 AM »

Thanks for mentioning A HARD DAY'S NIGHT. I haven't seen it in ages, and I don't own a copy of it on any media, so it goes right on my CHristmas list!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2007, 08:21:26 AM »

I'm heading down now to check the mail, begin watching more CSI: MIAMI, and at the appropriate time, start fixing lunch.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »

A TRIP TO THE MOON---besides having amazing visual effects for the turn of the century, it also could be considered the first science fiction film. I am still in awe of what they accomplished back then!

Edisaurus

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2007, 08:33:30 AM »

SEX, LIES AND VIDEOTAPE---it proved that a low-budget indie could become a blockbuster and made more people willing to invest in films without big names or big special effects, essentially opening the way for more indie films to be made. It only took a few years before the major studios were creating smaller companies that "looked" like indies but had major studio backing. They were trying to look cool, and at the same time, paying filmmakers indie wages, even though the films were being distributed by a huge company. (There was a big protest about this when I was at Sundance in '91.)

Of course, it also paved the way for a lot of crap, but SODERBERG'S verité-style of directing was, and still is, imitated by many filmmakers and tv shows as well. (Even THE CLOSER!)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2007, 08:35:55 AM »

Off to work.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2007, 08:46:19 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And, yes, I'm back from the gym... And, man, oh man, did I have a good workout this morning!

Since today is my last workout day for the week, and since I don't have anything lined up for today - and since the gym was practically empty on a Saturday morning, I really took my time.  I did a brief cardio warm-up followed by some stretching.  Alas, my stretching session was a bit self-frustrating - it still amazes me just how tight the muscles in my legs are.  -Of course, making a living sitting down at the piano for the past 20 years or so will do that to you.  I have been stretching everyday for the past two weeks, and I just have to keep in mind that it has to go "little by little" rather than by "leaps and bounds" in regards to my flexibility (especially at this stage in the game).  Breathe!

Then came the abs circuit (lower, upper, obliques and back).  Then it was "strength test" time.  The gym has one of those online training programs which is customized according to what equipment is available at your gym location - and to you and your body, of course.  The strength test calls for really testing the upper limits of your strength just to get a measure of where you currently are so that your workouts can be planned accordingly.  Well, I have to say that I really surprised myself.  I just went ahead and adjusted the weight stacks a few pins higher than what I've been using the past two weeks, and, lo and behold, I made it through the weight circuit unscathed completing full sets of the exercises to "muscle failure" (a term that still sounds "bad" to me, but is apparently "good"). And feeling pretty pumped!

Then came some more stretching before heading back home.

WHEW!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2007, 08:48:25 AM »

DR elmore - I hope the read-down went well this morning.  Well, as well as it could have gone.  And I hope that your headache has subsided too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2007, 08:56:27 AM »

And I just received a wonderful call from Baayork Lee.  They finally have a date set for Thommie Walsh's memorial service, November 16, and she's asked me to come on board as part of the musical staff for the event.  Needless to say, I feel quite honored to have been asked to be a part of this especially since I never worked with Thommie.  Tommy Tune will be putting it together, and we'll be meeting tomorrow to start brainstorming and getting some sort of plan in place.  Color me humbled.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2007, 08:57:10 AM »

DR JRand - So, does your Midnight Madness actually happen at midnight?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2007, 09:02:54 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I've been enjoying everyone else's comments and observations so far, and I think I will just continue to keep doing so.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2007, 09:11:15 AM »

Elmore - Headache free vibes
Jose - congrats on being made part of the team
Tomovoz - loved the roos yesterday

Cillaliz

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2007, 09:13:06 AM »

DN Adam (DR Samantha's brother) arrived shortly after 10:00 PM last night - after his classes.   We drank some Harvest Moon It's Blue Moon's seasonal beer and has a slight flavor of pumpkin, allspice and clove.  It was just a hint of flavor - not over powering and was quite tasty

Cillaliz

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2007, 09:15:54 AM »

We then watched LEGALLY BLONDE - he loved it, but I must say after all the defending I was doing after the first broadcast, watching it the way MTV filmed it was so much less enjoyable than being there.

Then I showed him all the photos from the trip.  DR Samantha - he said to let you know he is very jealous and it looks like you had a lot of fun.

FJL

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2007, 09:24:14 AM »

Skip will be seeing BAKER'S WIFE this afternoon.  

Anyone from here going today?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2007, 09:38:29 AM »

Last night, on the recommendation of my Sam Morgan's boss, I watched TRANSFORMERS.  

Thank you for the report.

Considering ALL the fun, time, energy and hours I spent finding Transformers and Gobots for the boys, I really must see this moving.  Friends began recruiting my assistance in finding these, often scares, toys.  

Jane

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2007, 09:41:22 AM »

Jane

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2007, 09:42:39 AM »

dr elmore, hope you are feeling better.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2007, 10:22:52 AM »

Skip will be seeing BAKER'S WIFE this afternoon.  

Anyone from here going today?

Well, I was hoping to snag a last-minute ticket, but since it seems there are none to bed had, well...  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2007, 10:22:58 AM »

The girls were very glad to have company last night. They like Adam.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2007, 10:25:23 AM »

...However, I think I may go ahead and TKTS something tonight.  It's been a while, and there a still a few shows I wouldn't mind seeing from a cheap seat.  Although, a friend of mine has invited me to some club/theatre in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) tonight for a show by a gay hip-hop artist.  Hmm...  Needless to say, I am intrigued, but we'll have to see about that one.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2007, 10:39:37 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

For me, the Hitchcock films were pure entertainments, and I didn't realize until much later how influential they were.  So, whilst I enjoyed them and loved them and revered them, they did not make me see movies differently.  Here are some that I saw as a youngster that did (all on their first release):

Psycho (yes, a Hitchcock film, but one that had sport with all the rules - after Psycho, I trusted no film to play by the rules.  In terms of structure and style, one of the most imitated films ever made).

Sundays and Cybele - I'd never seen a film quite like it - weird, poetic, with images so beautiful and stark and with a plot so peculiar that it introduced me to a whole new style of cinema.

The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg - really a one-off film that created its own unique world in a way that hadn't been done before - and succeed in doing so by not only being a marvelous film, but by being a huge hit.

A Hard Day's Night - again, so influential, style-wise, that it's been copied by so many people for so many years that it's hard to watch it and understand just how radical it was.

Bonnie and Clyde - again, its style and way of presenting its "heroes" was completely unique for the time, and its ending influenced many filmmakers.

Cillaliz

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2007, 10:43:28 AM »

Well, I'm off to a Home/Farm/Yard supply store that moved from it's downtown location to one closer to my house.   They are having a big sale and I need a new furnace filter and some other things to do a few projects around the house.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2007, 10:43:49 AM »

Who eats all the food they make on Food TV?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2007, 11:02:05 AM »

Edi, last night you were talking about what to do for the parent's 60th Anniversary.  You talked about the Atlanta tour, but decided Mom would not be up for it.  Why not film all those places that you would have driven them, EDIT it, put on a bit of commentary by the two of you, and use the music of 1947 as the background music.  Then they could watch the DVD anytime they wanted.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2007, 11:18:20 AM »

tcb, what a great idea.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2007, 11:43:41 AM »

Hello, everyone.

Marvelous Matt is here again today, doing little touch-up things and also helping me with some of the cleaning chores that I intended to do, but just haven't gotten to. I'm also doing major cleaning chores myself. And I'm TIRED!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2007, 11:47:03 AM »

I decided to throw out foodstuffs that have long ago become no good - it was an amazingly big bag o' stuff - juice from 2005, soup from 2004 - blechhh.  Now everything is all nice and neat.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up