Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BREATHLESS  (Read 25712 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BREATHLESS
« on: October 27, 2007, 12:13:49 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were Godardian, and now it is time for you to post until the breathless cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 12:33:10 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BREATHLESS
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 12:15:17 AM »

And the word of the day is: ANTITUSSIVE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 12:15:36 AM »

And a happy haineshisway.com birthday to wlajb.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 05:29:39 AM »

Good morning, all! Where is everyone?  

I will be E&T most of the day: an orchestra readthrough for Encores! and then some time in Toyland.

I have a headache.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 05:37:21 AM »

May your day be a stress free as is possible DR Elmore.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 05:55:55 AM »

Headache-be-gone vibes to Larry

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 06:19:01 AM »

And The Song Of The Day Is:  ADELAIDE'S LAMENT
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 06:19:49 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 06:54:43 AM »

Head On - apply directly to the forehead.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 06:55:18 AM »

Not working until 3 p.m today.....and hopefully the dingbats working early realize that the special pricing starts at 7 p.m. not ALL DAY!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 06:56:43 AM »

TOD:

Citizen Kane

Hmmmmm......difficult subject.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 07:06:24 AM »

Good morning!

Still kind of overcast, but not as chilly as yesterday. Very nice fall weather even thought the sun is hiding at the moment.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 07:08:31 AM »

I watched two more CSI episode this morning. One of them involved something that actually happened the actress Eva LaRue's sister which was incorporated into the episode. Obviously, LaRue provided the commentary along with the writer of the episode, so that was fairly interesting to watch and listen to.

The other involved a terrorist plot to blow up the nuclear station in Miami. This came out of nowhere since the majority of the episode seemed to be about a murder at a charity auction.

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 07:12:01 AM »

Having watched BREATHLESS last week, I was stuck immediately at how many techniques in the film have been stolen, incorporated, etc. by other filmmakers in the years since. So, it's definitely influential.

CITIZEN KANE, of course, used techniques that caught on with filmmakers afterwards.

As for me personally, the first film I ever saw as a kid that knocked my socks off and made me realize that films could be art as well as entertainment was GIGI. I came out of that movie with all that lovely music and all those beautiful costumes and that gorgeous Paris photography and knew that movies were about more than just fun. I'm not sure I ever watched movies the same way after GIGI.

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 07:13:18 AM »

Today I have the last ten minutes or so of MY NAME IS EARL to watch. Then, it's back to CSI: MIAMI. I'd like to get through disc 3 today and hopefully into disc 4 before I go to bed. There are no bonus features on disc 3, so it should go a bit more smoothly.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 07:14:44 AM »

Disc 2 actually had an interesting bonus feature covering the make-up department on the show and how they work with the special effects photography department in making those world famous CSI-internal shots. I really enjoyed watching these professionals talking about their work with such pride.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 07:18:03 AM »

DR td, I should have RATATOUILLE in hand on Monday, and I'm looking forward to it. I'm also getting that DVD of Pixar short subjects which is also to be released on November 6.

BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ keeps getting pushed back on the viewing list, but it doesn't come out until November 13, so there still seems to be time to get to it late next week.

td

• td
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 07:18:36 AM »

From personal experience, I would say that the two films which changed the way I looked at movies were THE SOUND OF MUSIC and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.  To me, both films, on a huge screen, essentially took me into the world of their tales with brilliant photography, editing and use of sound.  LAWRENCE also showed me how little actual dialogue is required to make a meaningful motion picture.
Though not and essential, Francis Ford Coppola's BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA demonstrated the joy of film-making through its in-camera technique.
Hitchcock films which made me see movies differently, REAR WINDOW, VERTIGO and PSYCHO.  With PSYCHO, I would have loved to have been in the theaters when it first opened.  I still find PSYCHO unsettling for those few silent moments following Marian's fatal shower for once the supposed protagonist is gone, until Norman starts the clean-up, we (as an audience) really don't have a character to give our allegiance to.
CITIZEN KANE, of course, should go without saying.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 07:19:51 AM »

DR td, I should have RATATOUILLE in hand on Monday, and I'm looking forward to it. I'm also getting that DVD of Pixar short subjects which is also to be released on November 6.

I'm hoping you enjoy RATAOUILLE as much as I do, DR Matt H;  I certainly enjoyed MEET THE ROBINSONS the other night, and I can't get that Rob Thomas song out of my head!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 07:23:54 AM »

THE JAZZ SINGER arrived today....I will watch it tonight....after midnight madness.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 07:24:24 AM »

Hitchcock films....of course.

I guess the first one I was aware of was THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH....and the concert hall sequence.....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2007, 07:26:49 AM »

Ol' Unc Tussive hated driving on toll roads - it took what seemed like forever for AUNTIE TUSSIVE to cough up the change so they could get on with their travelin'.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2007, 07:27:31 AM »

Last night, on the recommendation of my Sam Morgan's boss, I watched TRANSFORMERS.  He was right on many counts:  it's definitely a show off your system disc with awesome sound and visuals.  I truly rattled the walls for a couple of hours.  If in the proper frame of mind, TRANSFORMERS is a fun, wild ride, though definitely worthy of its PG-13 rating - the parental discussion regarding Sam's (Shia LaBouef) "happy time" could have easily been cut making TRANSFORMERS a better movie for youngsters.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2007, 07:27:58 AM »

It is time for me to dash to work, already.

It's the last Saturday in October, so I'll be wearing my pink shirt.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2007, 07:29:24 AM »

...CITIZEN KANE, of course, should go without saying.
But that would have made it a silent film!

;D

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2007, 07:30:28 AM »

Fresman year in college:the Kimball cinemauditorium showed 'art' films on Wedneday; Over the course of the year, I remember seeing Seventh Seal, Virgin Spring, 81/2,La Dolce Vita, the extraordinary L'Aventurra, Agnes Varda's(I think) Le Bonheur,The Shop on Main Street and of course Bonnie and Clyde was at the 'regular' theater; Prior to this I had only seen USA and UK films.The Man from Rio I saw in a dubbed print and of course Hercules Unchained was also dubbed. But that fresman 'course was an eye opener-I've avoided seeing L'Aventurra a second time, because I'm afraid it won't live up to my memory of it(Ditto Sansho the Bailiff)

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2007, 07:45:13 AM »

I just can't summon up any interest in TRANSFORMERS. When it finally appears next year on HBO/Showtime/Starz, I'm sure I'll watch it just to be "in the know," but it just doesn't sound like my kind of movie (apart from being a reference home theater disc.)

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2007, 07:47:04 AM »

Of course, there's another episode of TORCHWOOD coming on tonight that I already have my DVR set to record. I've liked watching it back at 10 so I can zoom through coimmercials and finish the show more quickly.

That's one of the joys of watching these TV box sets, too. The story gets presented in a piece instead of piecemeal.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2007, 07:51:25 AM »

Fresman year in college:the Kimball cinemauditorium showed 'art' films on Wedneday; Over the course of the year, I remember seeing Seventh Seal, Virgin Spring, 81/2,La Dolce Vita, the extraordinary L'Aventurra, Agnes Varda's(I think) Le Bonheur,The Shop on Main Street and of course Bonnie and Clyde was at the 'regular' theater; Prior to this I had only seen USA and UK films.The Man from Rio I saw in a dubbed print and of course Hercules Unchained was also dubbed. But that fresman 'course was an eye opener-I've avoided seeing L'Aventurra a second time, because I'm afraid it won't live up to my memory of it(Ditto Sansho the Bailiff)

I took some master's degree courses on film history that introduced me to a lot of the movies you mentioned here. We didn't have any theater in my small hometown that ever showed foreign films, not even notorious ones like LA DOLCE VITA, so I didn't get to see foreign movies until I took that class.

Later, when I moved to a city to live, there were revival and art theaters that would play some of the more famous (or infamous ones) so I started catching up.

But I'd have to say that the home video revolution starting with VHS is where my foreign film education started taking serious dimensions, and with the advent of the Criterion collection on laser and now DVD, the fascinating world of foreign cinema is now available for anyone with an interest.

My horizons and world view have been SO enriched during this year watching and writing about the really wide collection of films that Criterion presents on DVD.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2007, 08:05:57 AM »

bk, yesterday's topic is still open...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2007, 08:15:56 AM »

Ken and Ric Burns' THE CIVIL WAR, like it or not, influences documentary makers even now, because it was so successful that people realized that a documentary could reach and be enjoyed by the general public. It's a mixed blessing, because for years after it aired, filmmakers either intentionally copied his style, or were forced to do cheap imitations.

Ken was able to make history, covering times when there is very little visual documentation, come alive for people, and supplements his work with a lot of outreach.
(Currently, for THE WAR, he's put together kits to teach people how to interview their own relatives about their memories of WWII.)

Although I'm more of a fan of Ric's films, I think Ken, along with D.A. Pennebaker, Frederick Wiseman, Barbara Kopple and yes, Michael Moore, have had a huge influence on documentary filmmakers.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up