Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FULL REPORT  (Read 23056 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE FULL REPORT
« Reply #300 on: November 06, 2007, 09:19:02 PM »

Good Evening!

Alas, I did not see Cymbeline tonight.  Instead, I saw Rent.  Or at least what they're calling Rent nowadays.  I mean, it's at the Nederlander on 41st Street.  The set is the same one that was there a couple of years ago.  The costumes are more or less the same.  There's a band.  There's lighting.  But that's where the similarities end.

I went in expecting to be disappointed, and, unfortunately, I left the theatre a bit more disheartened than I had planned for.  The show is just not in good shape right now.  The casting - well, the cast... well, some of the cast just have no idea how to project nor how to enunciate.  -Yes, a mic will "help" you project, but there's only so much the guy at the sound board can do if you're basically whispering most of your talking and singing.  And there was lots of "whispered" acting on stage tonight too.

Surprisingly, there were some muffed and sloppy technical elements.  None of the phone call/answering machine cues went off in the first sequence.  -And the lights were also a bit late too.  I had even started to think that they had reworked the show since the flubs were so consistent.

Etc., etc., etc.

Of course, there were the usual screamers in the audience.  And the people texting each other on their cellphones and Blackberries.  And the husband who would fill in the blanks for his wife after each time she returned from the bathroom - or wherever she went - she left three(!) times in the first act!!!  However, thankfully, and mercifully, no one sang along.  At least not in my earshot.

I have always liked the show, but also acknowledged some of its problems and pecadillos.  However, when I first saw the show during the second of third years of it's run on Broadway - the second cast had just started - I remember being enveloped in this Bohemian world, and just allowed myself to be taken on the journey.  Tonight, I just sat there wondering what the hell went wrong, and how would anyone let this happen.  If "they" want to continue to honor the memory of Jonathan Larson, the best thing to do would be to close show.  Tomorrow.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #301 on: November 06, 2007, 09:19:28 PM »

-Ain't that a fine and dandy way to start Page Eleven!

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #302 on: November 06, 2007, 09:21:52 PM »

In other news...

My bedroom window is not back yet.  Apparently, the silicone sealant needs a couple more hours to set up before it's placed back in the window.  -I got that message as I was heading into the theatre.  Right now, the black plastic trash bags are still in my window, as well as some moving blanket and a piece of plywood.  Needless to say, I am not a happy camper right now.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #303 on: November 06, 2007, 09:30:26 PM »

OH!!!

And when I asked the landlord about why the radiators seemed to go on at weird times and seemed to be set too high...

It was 86 degrees last night in the living room.
-So, your radiators do work then.
Yes, they work.  I never said they did not work.
-Well, it must be just your room then.  I'll have to call the radiator guys tomorrow to come look at it.
NO!  The radiators are working fine.  They're just giving off too much heat.  And they're not on overnight when it's coldest.
-Well, they are on a timer, and they're also controlled by the thermostat.
What? You told us last year they were NOT on a timer.
-Well, the thermostat will tell the radiators to go at the set times if it's too cold.
Oh... Well, then they need to be reset to come on during the night, and not just at 8:00am and 8:00pm.
-Well, I'll have the radiator guys look at it again.  Maybe it needs to be reset.  Then maybe that will fix the extra heat.
No.  I think the radiator is just set too high.
-Well, I the thermostat is on the third floor of the building (out of five), and I have it set to 78 degrees.
WHAT?!?!?!  That's too hot.
-Really?
YES!  That's why we keep saying we have to keep our windows open.  But if keep our windows open, and then the heat goes off overnight, then we wake up cold.
-Well, I think it must be just your units then.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

-That's when I hung up.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #304 on: November 06, 2007, 09:43:35 PM »

And then when I was in Virgin after the show...

I was at the register, when one of the clerks came running... "There's a woman who's fainted, fell down over there.  I think she's unconscious."  -Well, call 911.  "I don't want to call 911.  Why do I have to call 911?!?!"  Well, she looks bad, right. "Yep, but I'm not sure what I have to tell 911."  Call them.  "No, you call them."  Have you called a manager yet? "No." Well, call them and they can call 911.  "But what do I tell them?"  Tell them some woman has a medical emergency.  "OK... So I should tell them she had a seizure, and they her friend said she was a diabetic too."  -Yeah.  I think so....

-That's when I headed over to the area where the lady was... Thankfully(?), store security was there.  Alas, they were all standing around not having a clue what to do.  I asked if someone finally called 911.  Two other people in the crowd said they had just called.  There were even people offering to look after the lady before the ambulance arrived, but the security guard kept telling people to go away since the ambulances had already been called.  I told her that I've dealt with diabetics before... I asked her if her friend knew what type of diabetes she had... Then I saw some other security guard from the building going to toward the woman who was laying on the ground... Then he walked right by her....

That's when I ran to the front of the store - where more security people were just standing there with "What they fuck do we do?" looks on their faces...  I TOLD one guy to call up to the DJ booth, and ask them to turn down or turn off the music - and maybe even page the store for any medical personnel...  "What for?"...  Then I saw three(!) ambulances pull up... And that's when I left the store.  Disgusted.

Needless to say, since I'll be working a Equity tomorrow, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go back to Virgin during my lunch break and speak to a manager in person.  The behavior and attitude of the store personnel tonight was careless, unprepared, and, frankly, life-threatening.

*And if I'm remembering my workplace rules/laws correctly, someone on staff should have at least been trained in CPR - and should have been the first or second person called during a medical emergency.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #305 on: November 06, 2007, 09:44:01 PM »

OK.  Four rants.  That's enough for now.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #306 on: November 06, 2007, 09:58:34 PM »

Aww... I just got this e-mail from my brother, Jay.  The timing could not have been more perfect...

All,

For once I felt like writing a long, mass email about something...  I felt like writing ALOT, too.  Also, I know that some of you hope to run NYC in the near future.  So, here my NYC Marathon 2007 report.

SUMMARY: My NYC Marathon 2007 was an awesome experience!!!  Although I've had 2 better times, it was definitely my 2nd best managed run of the 6 marathons I've done, but only my 3rd best time @ 4:17:22.  I couldn't have run much faster based on how far back I started and my pacing was pretty consistent throughout.  There were definitely some sneaky, sneaky hills throughout.  Also, based on my new philosophy for marathoning training - "less is more" - I won't complain one bit.  I may not be back anytime soon, but I feel very fortunate to have received a lottery entry on my 1st try and run this past Sunday.  I won't go into the benefits I've felt from embracing Chi running or Hellerwork unless you ask.

RACE MORNING: Waking up at 4:45 AM for a 10:00 AM start was definitely a new and different experience. The week before I left, this was all I could think about and I was quite panic'd that I would plan incorrectly, especially the night before I left for NYC.  However, race morning went well.  I met my friend Alma from SD at the Subway in Lower Manhattan at 5:30 AM.  Then, waited for the subway, hopped on the subway for 2 or 3 stops, boarded a shuttle bus to the Staten Island Ferry terminal, rode the Staten Island Ferry for 30 mins or so, rode another shuttle bus to start area, lastly, a short walk to our designated starting area 3 hours before start time, along with 39,000 plus other people and countless volunteers.  Needless to say, people were everywhere. Some sleeping on grass (one full size air mattress with a tarp covering a runner or two), others just chillin, some eating, some using the more than ample porta-potties, some speaking French, Spanish, Swedish, etc.  After seeing some other SD folks in another start area (Joe, Arlene and James) and grabbing a bagel with a hot beverage, I spread out my Disney Half shock blanket on the concrete and we just chilled while sipping on water and Gatorade.  Rather quickly it was time to put on my throw away clothes and check my bag which was a mess because everyone waited till the last minute to check their bags.

THE START: As the sun shined and the corrals were gathered to begin the shuffle towards the starting line, all the throw away clothes were thrown all over the place.  I almost wished I had brought other old clothes just to dump them at the start area for charity.  I started with 32,000 to 32,999 group with my friend Alma.  My number was 26028.  So, what's another 5,000 people...  We were moving to the start and still about 10 mins from the start when we saw the Verazzano bridge already PACKED, I mean PACKED, with runners.  The start for the Blue course was 10:10 AM and we didn't get across the start till 10:30 AM. Then, we were off.

THE RACE: After a quick "goodbye" to Staten Little, we jumped on the Verazzon Bridge.  Unfortunately, a trash bag tripped up another runner to start her race.  The sound of the fall wasn't pretty, but her friends got her going again.  Then, it was time to weave.  Little did I know that I would waste alot of energy and time weaving in and out of some of the 32,000 people who started in front of me for the entire race.  There were some 5K sections between mile 7 to 15 where I thought I was easily sub 9:00 mins per mile, but stayed in the 9:30 range.  Brooklyn was awesome and really welcomed the runners.  Sometime between mile 7 and 8, I lost Alma at an aid station.  Queens was OK, but the crowds thinned during the last portion through there.  The Queensboro bridge with the slight uphill gradient at mile 15 was tough as advertised.  It was dark, too, on the lower part of the bridge.  NOTE: The last part of Brooklyn and all of Queens would have been two parts of the course where someone could have ran with you.  Then, the first time through Manhattan. The crowd was loud, but the energy was different there because the course was wider which I needed to catch my breath from all the weaving.  However, I saw a long stretch of people in front of me at a higher vantage point.  Mind bubble, "Another F@#$-ing hill!!!

Relax your body...  Steel and Cotton[a Chi running thing]"  Blink, the mile in the Bronx and two bridges were gone.

THE REAL RACE: From the Bronx, Manhattan welcomed me again, but with a louder, more packed crowd and more narrow course with runners fighting the good fight, including myself.  Thankfully, my Rock'N'Roll marathon experience back in June, allowed me to push through the pain.  Central Park is in site and says hello with a crowded hill.  I'm trying to push, but still have to weave in and out of so many people.  Finally, to the top of the hill and mile marker 24 is beautiful. Then, to the South Side of Central Park where I'm looking out for the 800 yards left sign.  Earlier on the course, I had listened to my voice mail from my friend, Neil, who said that's where he was with my girlfriend.  They had missed me at mile 16, but I left them a message earlier.  YES.  I ran with my phone which I stored in my only running shorts with a pocket made for that purpose...  Anyway...  I see the 800 yards left sign and then see Maria and Neil cheering me on and trying to snap a picture.  Now, I can't wait to see the finish line, but then at the 400 yards left sign I see the short climb to the finish.  I remembered from past races to enjoy the finish and look around at the crowd.  "300 YARDS." "200 YARDS." "100 YARDS."  AWESOME!!  (BIG SMILE ON FACE)  "FINISH" the signs read.  So, I stop on the timing mat with my hat off to make sure I get my finish line picture (as
usual).

POST RACE HERDING: SWEET!!  I get a NYC Marathon Finisher Medal!!!  Next a shock blanket is wrapped around me, then its taped in the front with a sticker to keep it around me.  Then, a small bag with a little food and water.  What else could you expect for 38,000 plus finishers in such a small space...  The herding begins...  I thought the course was crowded...  The standard post race carnage.  My back and feet hurt the most.  The finish line for NYC is on 67th at the Tavern on the Green.  My baggage check truck was #58 which turns out to be up the hill around 82nd St. Finally, I get to exit my part of the finish area at 86th Street.  Ouch all over as I tighten up.

Down the hill I stammer to meet my gal, Maria who I can't hear calling out my name, my good friend, Neil, and my oldest bro Jose who lives in NYC.  AWESOME!!!

SUMMARY: The NYC Marathon is as advertised.  Its not a PR course.  The little hills will test you.  The crowd on and off the course are crazy.  The start of race day is really, really f-ing early.  The Central Park Finish is perfect.  New York City is unlike any other place.  The NYC Marathon is unlike any other marathon.
ASTERISK: Congrats Alma on your PR in NYC!!

SELF PROMOTION: I'm thankful to have had a great running year, great year in general, and am blessed to have stayed healthy through 2 Fulls, 4 Halfs, a 10K, my first Tri (all between April 22nd and Nov. 4th) with PRs at every distance (3:57:04 full; 1:48:15 half; 45:20 10K; 1st Sprint Tri).

!!THANK YOU!!  Thanks to all of you for being part of my 2007 event and training year which is done.  There will be no Turkey Trot and no Christmas/Holiday run.

Take care and happy running, swimming and/or biking to all.

-Jay
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #307 on: November 06, 2007, 09:59:09 PM »

And on that somewhat lengthy (my apologies) and much happier note...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #308 on: November 06, 2007, 10:43:57 PM »

...I'll just switch over to these DVDs I have sitting here. I will never have a lack of things to watch.

"As God is my witness, I'll never be without TV Media again!"

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #309 on: November 06, 2007, 10:47:26 PM »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #310 on: November 07, 2007, 12:10:01 AM »

Is it a pop opera? Through-sung? Curious if I need to add it to my Christmas list.

Matt, I think it's a book musical.  The CD is only about 56 minutes long.  Comparing the CD track list with the songs according to IBDB, it seems pretty much like it's the whole score.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #311 on: November 07, 2007, 12:13:16 AM »

That's definitely a positive review!  Congrats!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up