Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THEREFORE AND THUS  (Read 20851 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THEREFORE AND THUS
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2004, 08:36:40 AM »

Dear BK, I must agree that placing The Trials of Oscar Wilde within two years of 20000 Leagues and Star is Born is nonsense.  Six years is more accurate.  It would have served the writer better to say that James Mason had starred in North by Northwest and Journey to the Center of the Earth the previous year, because he had.  Busy fellow!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2004, 08:37:11 AM »

DR Jay - that is a rule....if we want to sleep, we have to get up.  If we can sleep, we are compelled to rise.  It is part of Heidelberg's Uncertainty Principle, correct, Dr. White?

DRMattH - I missed ONE FROM THE HEART as well...is Terri Garr in that?  Or am I thinking of something else?

Absolutely correct, JRand!  And always have a full plate for breakfast, which one should eat while wearing a bathrobe - - and nothing else!  God help me if I sit with my legs wide open!

Terri Garr is indeed one of the stars of ONE FROM THE HEART, and she's constantly taking off her blouse, or her shirt.  Nastassia Kinski remains clothed.  Raoul Julia is quite good in the film, as is Frederick Forrest; but to me, the star of the movie is the incredible song score sung by Tom Waits and Crystal Gayle. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2004, 08:40:05 AM »

THough modern day Barbra Streisand doesn't thrill me, those early recordings from her first decade as a star still make for very exciting listening. And I do love "A Sleepin' Bee."
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2004, 08:41:23 AM »

Or, if you can no longer stand Ms. B. S., I can recommend Ms. Audra McDonald's second album, How Glory Goes.  She includes several songs by Harold Arlen on the disc, and an interesting mix of other composers as well.  Her back-to-back renditions of "Somewhere" from West Side Story and "How Glory Goes" from Floyd Collins is particularly transcendant.

Excellent recommendations, DR SWW.  What prompted the conversation, however, was a story that DR Danise related the other day about how she held a bee in her hand (and later released it into some bushes.)  I asked her if it was a sleepin' bee, but she was unfamiliar with the song I was alluding to in my question.  

I was just doing my part to educate a Dear Reader that all of our experiences in life come to be strictly to serve as the context for some song or other from the Broadway stage.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 08:56:08 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Emily

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2004, 08:42:01 AM »

Ugh.

I spent yesterday sicker than I think I have ever been in my entire life.

I woke up at 6am (!!!) threw up and then continued to vomit once an hour (on the hour) until 8pm.

Luckily, it appeared to be a 24 hour bug because now I feel perfectly normal - with maybe just a little achiness in my legs and arms.

Andrea and I are going to go get my hair cut on Thursday.  I still have no idea what I want to do to it.  I'm leaving that up to her.  CYGOPP is off in New Hampshire volunteering for Dean so she has time to spare ;)

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2004, 08:42:43 AM »

Thanks for providing the answer DR td. I meant to and got sidetracked on Barbra.

Robert Osborne really should have known better in his comments about James Mason. But 1954 certainly WAS a banner year for him!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2004, 08:57:54 AM »

Strange, everyone is talking about beef stroganoff and no one is posting anything resembling a recipe.  I've been doing a variation using hamburger for years, which I call HAMBURGER STROGANOFF.

Start by heating some vegetable oil in a large skillet.  Over medium heat, cook a chopped onion until softened, about 3 minute, then add a half pound of sliced mushrooms and cook until they are nicely browned, figure another five minutes.  Add a pound of ground beef, the leaner the better, and cook until the meat loses it's pink color, stirring to break up the meat.

To this, add about a teaspoon of Worcestershire Sauce and freshly ground pepper and salt, but not too much of these, a quarter teaspoon should do.  Stir in two tablespoons of flour, and cook for another minute so that the flour loses it's starchy taste.  Add one can beef broth, about 1 1/4 cups if you make your own, and bring to a simmer, cooking for another minute while the flour thickens the sauce.

Taking the skillet off heat, add 1/2 cup sour cream, stirring to blend.  Put back on heat for just a half minute or so to heat the sour cream (don't bring back to a boil, or the sour cream will curdle).  Serve over hot egg noodles or rice, and sprinkle with fresh chopped dill.  Serves four, unless you really love this stuff like der Brucer and I do, in which case it only serves three.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2004, 08:59:46 AM »

Swishy, you might have to clear your cache - for some reason it's holding yesterday's notes - that happens to me sometimes - or use IE.  

The Rondos are named after strange horror actor, Rondo Hatton.

I think I did spell out what the Academy Award-winning thespian had to do with the play - author.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2004, 09:00:27 AM »

[size=20]IT'S SNOWING!!!!![/size]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :D :D :D :D :D[/move]

Jay

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2004, 09:00:32 AM »

Still waiting for Dear Reader Panni to weigh in as to whether Hungarian Beef Stroganoff, at least according to her family's tradition, includes sour cream or not.  Though she probably spells it "suor craem."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2004, 09:07:50 AM »

Well, MY famous Beef Strogonoff includes sour cream and puhlenty of it.

I was just thinking, if someone makes a post tonight, it will be a Saturday Evening Post.  If Emily does one it will be an Emily Post.  If Jane makes some of her usual warm and sweet posts they will be Post Toasties, and if someone berates someone it will be a Roast Post.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2004, 09:11:42 AM »

And a quick note would be written poste haste!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2004, 09:15:27 AM »

Excellent

Jay

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2004, 09:15:50 AM »

And if someone misses the midnight cutoff and his or her Saturday night post hits the site on Sunday, it would be an ex post facto.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2004, 09:17:41 AM »

And if one of the DR's goes crazy - they will have gone Postal.

Jay

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2004, 09:19:50 AM »

If Clara Bow were to make a contribution to the site, she'd be the Post It Girl.

Jay

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2004, 09:21:14 AM »

If AMPAS allowed Oscar to contribute, it would be A Post Trophy.

Jay

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2004, 09:22:42 AM »

A note from Mr. Bakalor would be a Post Mark.

Panni

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2004, 09:23:29 AM »

Still waiting for Dear Reader Panni to weigh in as to whether Hungarian Beef Stroganoff, at least according to her family's tradition, includes sour cream or not.  Though she probably spells it "suor craem."
I'll have to look into the Stroganoff recipe as I have no idea what the Hungarian equivalent (in our family) was. We had no problems. BTW, with mixing milk and dairy - in fact there is a stuffed cabbage beef dish which is just drowned in sour cream. I'll get back to you on this. I have to eat breakfast now and go and get my beauteous blonde locks trimmed ever so slightly.

Jay

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2004, 09:24:57 AM »

If my message gets garbled and only half of it appears on the board, it would be a Post Partum.

Panni

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2004, 09:25:33 AM »

Of course, if one our our dear members has a baby, her first post will be Post Partum. ...Somebody stop me!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2004, 09:26:06 AM »

Oh, and der Brucer has a hankering for hamburger chile tonight.  That's essentially hamburger, onions, bell pepper, and chili powder.  Maybe some tomatoes, which isn't very purist, and beans, which isn't purist either, but I don't consider using hamburger purist so what the heck.

If I wanted to be really purist, I'd be soaking some dried red chilis and making a puree instead of using powder.  And I'd be cutting some beef round into 1/2 inch cubes, instead of using hamburger.

Of course, I could use some corn meal as a thickener, which is traditional.  And I need some jalapenos, to add a fresh pepper taste.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about this!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2004, 09:26:09 AM »

Excellent "post" jokes!  All right, I now have to leave the home environment - keep the home fries burning and I'll be back when she of the Evil Eye has gone.  

Panni

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2004, 09:26:45 AM »

Hey, DR Jay - we came up with different versions of the same one! Interesting - the male and female take.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2004, 09:26:53 AM »

And if you're not sure how to respond to someone, it's a sitting on the fencepost.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2004, 09:27:23 AM »

Or if you're a Monday morning quarterback, it's a Post Mortem.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2004, 09:28:32 AM »

Der Brucer reminds us all that a post made by a coyote would be a Wiley Post!

Jay

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2004, 09:30:39 AM »

If you ask a Dear Reader a pressing question and he or she does not respond until next week, you'd call it a  postulate.

Jay

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2004, 09:32:47 AM »

When BK says "Kiss my ass," you could call it a posterior.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2004, 09:39:59 AM »

When you're trying to get from "Full Member" to "HHW God" and you only have one post to go, you can make a Goal Post.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up