Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THEREFORE AND THUS  (Read 20839 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THEREFORE AND THUS
« on: January 24, 2004, 12:06:55 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know there innermost meanings, you know what's expected, therefore let's have loads of lovely posts, shall we?  Thus it is spoken, therefore it shall be done. ::)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 12:02:57 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THEREFORE AND THUS
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 12:24:05 AM »

Good. "Therefore and thus" is much easier to say than "vile epithet"...  On that note - Good-night.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 12:25:56 AM by Panni »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 12:35:28 AM »

Oooh I had to come back to say I'm MORTIFIED that I spelled that stupid word "epithet" wrong in my late-night posting yesterday. And now I can't go back and modify it and I will be out there for ever and ever for all the world to see as a bad speller. I'm a GOOD speller who can't spell that ridiculous word "epithet."  No word should end in "thet"... What kind of a sound is that?? Thet. It's a spit. Thet.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 12:42:45 AM »

Good late evening all.
Just finished reading Wicked.  What an interesting read.  Poor DR Jed had to endure a few mintues of my philosophically-minded thoughts on the book, until I realized what I was doing and shut up.  But if anyone HAS read the book and is interested in hashing it over a bit, I'm here! :)
Well...not at the moment...now it's almost sleepy time

Jed

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 12:54:21 AM »

Now hold on a minute, DR Ann.  I didn't mind talking about the book at all.  I merely pointed out the fact that you were obviously a philosophy major. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004, 04:14:53 AM »

I just voted in the RONDO AWARDS!   8)

Beef dishes...hmmmm...does a hamburger with lettuce pickles tomato and mayo count?

I really like beef and noodles!  Beef stroganoff is the BEST!!!  ;D

Saturday.  A major snowstorm is predicted for Indiana tomorrow as well!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2004, 04:50:18 AM »

I would like to clarify something in the trivia question. Is the academy awarding actor the producer of the play or the author?
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2004, 05:27:37 AM »

Even if I get the answer to THAT DR Michael Shayne - this week's question is puzzling me...LOL

Kerry

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2004, 05:46:42 AM »

Could you please tell us again how to vote in the Rondo awards?  Wasn't "Rondo" one of those WB westerns with someone like Ty Hardin?
I like boat races.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2004, 06:06:18 AM »

BK asked us to post whilst wearing a cravat or dickie.

I shall wear both, and be known as Dickie Cravat - perchance get my own TV show.

der Brucer (who's found a way to waste time whilst awaiting BK's return from under the spell of the Evil Eye - try The Time Waster)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2004, 06:20:35 AM »

DRtd posted the link yesterday...and I think he will post it again on Monday.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2004, 07:04:28 AM »

I have to agree about beef stroganoff. Absolutely the best beef dish there is: sinfully delicious. You know when you're eating it that it's just loaded with calories and is probably not good for you, but there are certain things that you just don't let worry you, and eating beef stroganoff is one of them. If I can find the recipe I use (doubtful since I haven't made it in awhile), I'll post it.

After spending two days with the wonderful Joan Hickson as Miss Marple, I put in SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON yesterday and watched about a half hour of it. May I say that James MacArthur was a delicious serving of beef stroganoff on his own?  ;D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2004, 07:16:50 AM »

Helmut Newton Killed in Car Crash
Friday, January 23, 2004

LOS ANGELES  — Acclaimed fashion photographer Helmut Newton (search) died Friday after his car sped out of control from the driveway of the famed Chateau Marmont hotel and crashed into a wall, police said. He was 83.

Newton, whose work appeared in magazines such as Playboy, Elle and Vogue, was best known for his stark, black-and-white nude photos of women.

The German-born photographer, who was Jewish, fled his homeland for Singapore in December 1938, a month after Nazi-led persecution programs began. He eventually settled in Australia and became a citizen, then took up residence in Monte Carlo, overlooking the Mediterranean — a frequent backdrop for his nude images.

A hosiery ad he shot, featured on a giant billboard in Times Square for a time, was banned from the side of New York City buses in 1998 because it was deemed to be too racy. It showed a rear-end view of a woman lying face-down, wearing only a pair of stockings. A side view of her bare breast also was visible.

(Above extracted from Fox News)

Both Fox and the LA Times downplayed Newton's Aussie roots.

In the Melbourne Herald Sun we learn:

Opening a small photo studio in Melbourne after the war, Newton began contributing fashion photos in 1961 to French Vogue, a magazine he made his own for a quarter of a century.

Edmund Capon, director of the Art Gallery of NSW, which has more than 20 Newton prints – including Woman in Chains and Nude in Seaweed – said: "He was perhaps the great immortaliser of the body beautiful, but he gave images a kind of contemporary sensuality."

"Even though he might have been primarily an image maker of fashion and contemporary taste, he put that genre firmly into the litany of 20th century photography."

Bernard Leser founded Vogue Australia in 1959 – Newton's launching pad to immortality. He achieved superstardom shooting for the group's Vogue and Vanity Fair magazines.

The sun uses this pic to lead into the story:

which is a crop-job on this book cover:

A criminal edit, IMHO! The bird gives the photo character and a stylistic balance.

Newton did ads for VW:

and his work is the subject of the worlds heftiest tome:

The publisher (Taschen) claims:

The biggest and most expensive book production in the 20th century

SUMO is a titanic book in every respect: it is a tribute to the twentieth century's most influential, intriguing and controversial photographer. Measuring 50 x 70 cm (20 x 27.5 inches) and weighing approx. 30 kg (66 lb.), the book contains 480 pages, breaking any previous record. SUMO is a truly unique publication.

The site gives you a pic like this:

where you can click thru various pages of the book - fun!

der Brucer (imagining a struggling art student lugging a 66lb book in her backpack)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 07:17:34 AM by DERBRUCER »

td

• td
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2004, 07:24:49 AM »

DRtd posted the link yesterday...and I think he will post it again on Monday.

I think I shall post the link EVERY morning UNTIL the voting ends!
(td, who is only able to be online because his call for rehearsal was changed from 10:00am to 1:00pm).

http://rondoaward.com/
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2004, 07:25:00 AM »

I have to agree about beef stroganoff. Absolutely the best beef dish there is: sinfully delicious.

"sinfully delicious" - especially if you keep Kosher!

der Brucer (hoping we don't learn that Hungarians make strogonoff sans sour cream) ;)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2004, 07:28:48 AM »

I think I shall post the link EVERY morning UNTIL the voting ends!

http://rondoaward.com/

I want to go there and do what - why?

der Brucer (suffering from frequent senior moments)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2004, 07:31:44 AM »

What I want to know is this:

How come, on the days I need to get up early, all I want to do is sleep in?  And, on the days I can sleep in, I awake bright-eyed at 5 a.m.?  Why?  Is this fair?  Is this just?  Oh, the humanity.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Danise

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2004, 07:32:08 AM »

Good Morning all.  Sorry I was E & T yesterday but I was so tired, I came home, ate supper and went straight to bed.  

I'm excited that I'm going to see "TMM" in just a few hours.  I wish Juliana was going to be Millie but I guess I try to pick her out.  Also wish I could try to go to the stage door to say hello but I'll have my Mom with me and she'll be tired by then.  I also have that drive both ways across that bridge to look forward to **shutter**.  

I want to be out of Dodge way before sunset and back on the home range.  Hummm, going to see a show set in the 20's and I'm talking Westerns.  Go figure?

I will tell you all about it tonight when we get home.

I had fun at a Wedding Shower for a gal at work yesterday.  They had a game where every one got a safety pin.  If you crossed your legs at any time, you lost it and any you had won to the person who caught you.

I hooked my left leg around the leg of the chair so I wouldn't forget.  NO ONE was going to get my pin!  I also kept an eye on this other lady who was gathering them left and right.  And right and left.  She soon had a very nice long chain of them.  

Well, as the Bride and Groom to be were cutting their cake, the lady crossed her legs.  I leaned over and said, "Give me your pins!" She screamed, "I CAN'T BELIEVE it!"  and made everyone jump!  But everyone got a good laugh when they realized what I had done.    

Needless to say, I won the contest and received some nice writting paper and envelopes.   :)

Jay--I loved the "Sleeping Bee" song.  I shall have to try to find it someplace.  To bad it isn't true.

Beef Strogonoff.  Lord, I LOVE that dish.  I don't think I have ever met a version of it that I didn't like.  Even the very simple Cambell's soup kind.  

I'm sure there's more I ment to comment on but I've gotta run for now.  I've got stuff to do before I get ready for Millie.

See ya'll later on today.  Have a good one, posters and lurkers.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

td

• td
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2004, 07:33:18 AM »

I want to go there and do what - why?

der Brucer (suffering from frequent senior moments)

You want to go there and vote for JEEPERS CREEPERS as the cd of the year, of course!
Check out the notes from last night's late night denizens, too. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jay

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2004, 07:41:15 AM »

Dear Reader Danise--

You could pick up a copy of House of Flowers.  Better yet, purchase Miss Barbra Steisand's debut album.  "A Sleepin' Bee" is on there, and this is a must have recording.  Everyone should make his or her debut in such fashion!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000029BE/ref=pd_sim_music_4/103-7763912-4810243?v=glance&s=music

I should mention, too, that the song appears on one or more of Miss Streisand's compilation albums.

And, in the spirit of full disclosure, I should say that it was Miss Diahann Carroll who introduced the song in House of Flowers.  By suggesting that you purchase Miss Babs' version of the song does not mean that I think Miss Carroll's rendition is poor.  In fact, it is transcendant.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 07:47:04 AM by Jay »

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2004, 07:51:11 AM »

I cannot get to the notes...no matter how many times I click the link in my favorites, and refresh, and type it into the address bar, etc., they won't come up! All I am shown is yesterdays notes....how annoying!
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jay

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2004, 07:54:31 AM »

Click on the "Today's Column" link at the bottom of this page, Dear Swish.

You wouldn't want to miss the trivia quiz.  It's an easy one today.
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

NOT!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2004, 07:55:07 AM »

And wouldn't you know it that RIGHT after I post about my troubles, I can get to them. Even more annoying!

Agreeing with BK, here is my recipe for great steak:

Dress nicely.
Get in the car.
Drive to a large city near you.
Stop the car at Ruth's Chris.
GO in, order, and eat.
Do previous steps in reverse.

:)
...Walk in the sunshine...

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2004, 08:05:09 AM »

I just read Barrie Maxwell's DVD column at THE DIGITAL BITS and learned that Warner Bros. controls Hitchcock's SUSPICION.

Now, why in the name of all that's holy hasn't the studio gotten around to releasing a Hitchcock boxed set of SUSPICION, STAGE FRIGHT, THE WRONG MAN, DIAL 'M' FOR MURDER, and I, CONFESS?

Yes, I'm grateful that they have given us STRANGERS ON A TRAIN and NORTH BY NORTHWEST, obviously both of them superior to the above films that I want, but I think the Hitchcock name sells even if it's one of his lesser works (and I actually like all of those other titles.)

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2004, 08:10:37 AM »

Good  morning all!  I am sore and stiff from yesterday's dance marathon, but I feel happy...and hungry!  I can't think of any beef recipes off the cuff, because that is exactly how I usually cook.  I don't generally use recipes.  I did once, however, make a delicious beef stroganoff using a low-fat and reduced calorie recipe.  It was actually really, really good!  I have no idea where I got it, though, so I can't share.

Now I'm off to do my stuff for today, which includes going BACK to the theatre dance class at 3:30.  She's doing the same Le Jazz Hot combo today, and now that I know it, I can really have fun with it today.  Yay!
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Danise

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2004, 08:12:21 AM »

Jay, I'll check that out!  Gotta run!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2004, 08:20:11 AM »

I'm wondering if one of the DVDs that bk is going to tell us about is Francis Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART.

I was friends for a time with a critic who wrote for City Paper in Washington, DC, and ONE FROM THE HEART was his favorite movie of all time. It came and went so fast in theaters that I never got a chance to see it, so my curiosity about this movie is profound.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2004, 08:25:26 AM »

DR Jay - that is a rule....if we want to sleep, we have to get up.  If we can sleep, we are compelled to rise.  It is part of Heidelberg's Uncertainty Principle, correct, Dr. White?

HAVE fun DR Danise....I think you will love the show.  It is great fun!

DRMattH - I missed ONE FROM THE HEART as well...is Terri Garr in that?  Or am I thinking of something else?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2004, 08:30:06 AM »

Dear Reader Danise--

You could pick up a copy of House of Flowers.  Better yet, purchase Miss Barbra Steisand's debut album.  "A Sleepin' Bee" is on there, and this is a must have recording.  Everyone should make his or her debut in such fashion!
Or, if you can no longer stand Ms. B. S., I can recommend Ms. Audra McDonald's second album, How Glory Goes.  She includes several songs by Harold Arlen on the disc, and an interesting mix of other composers as well.  Her back-to-back renditions of "Somewhere" from West Side Story and "How Glory Goes" from Floyd Collins is particularly transcendant.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2004, 08:31:16 AM »

Speaking of steak...

Everyone should go to Lawry's in Beverly Hills for prime rib at least once in their lives.  

Some of the characteristics of this restaurant--and the dining experience--would make you doubt the quality of the food, but their food is most excellent!  The place is huge, and when your table is ready, your name is called on a P.A. system, a device that will send me running from any other restaurant.  The waitresses are dressed in cockamamie cleavage-baring uniforms that look like they are right out of the 1950s.  

Before your main course, you are treated to the spinning salad bowl.  While the waitress spins a large bowl filled with a mixed salad on a bed of ice, she pours bottled Lawry's dressing from way above her head onto the rotating greens.  A chilled salad fork is brought to you for this course.  Hokey, you say?  Yewbetcha.

Come time for the main course, what looks like a huge silver coffin is rolled to your table.  With great flourish, a man in a toque who happens to carry a big knife opens the coffin, and several sides of prime rib are exposed.  Your order of prime rib (you select the size of cut and degree of doneness) is carved for you at tableside.  Along with it comes the world's best Yorkshire pudding and some yummilicious creamed horseradish.  Other sides, like creamed spinach, potatoes in any number of variation, etc. are also available.

The prime rib is quite outstanding.  (Other main course items are available, but ordering anything other than the prime rib at Lawry's would be like going to Ruth's Chris and ordering the fish.)  Relative to prices at other restaurants in L.A., Lawry's is rather moderately priced, too!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up