Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WITH NARY A THING ON MY MIND  (Read 19371 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:WITH NARY A THING ON MY MIND
« Reply #210 on: November 21, 2007, 08:32:49 PM »

Was there some revelation that was supposed to be made by the designer Jack on PROJECT RUNWAY that was hinted at in the promo for the show, but which I somehow missed during the show?  Or did I imagine that in the promo?

That was in the previews for the season.  Jack's revelation is a few episodes away.  -A friend of mine is handling the publicity for the show, so... ;)   :-X
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #211 on: November 21, 2007, 08:33:49 PM »

PAGE EIGHT "ENCHANTED" DANCE!!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #212 on: November 21, 2007, 08:34:29 PM »

So is ENCHANTED  a kids movie or a grown ups movie...or both?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #213 on: November 21, 2007, 08:40:25 PM »

I haven't seen it, but it sounds like it has something for everyone a la MARY POPPINS. There are five songs in it, so DRs Elmore and Jose, is it right to call it a musical?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #214 on: November 21, 2007, 08:41:15 PM »

Must finish up with some writing. Then, I'll head down to bed.

Good night!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #215 on: November 21, 2007, 08:50:13 PM »

After the movie, DR Jason and I walked around the Upper West Side for a while.  It was crazy-busy!  Lots of people were on the streets, and the traffic was most definitely going at a snail's pace too.  Almost every single restaurant we passed by had people waiting for tables.  The Wednesday night before Thanksgiving... Who knew?

Since we were in the neighborhood, we walked up to Levain.  It was Jason's first actual trip there.  He resisted buying/indulging, however, I did not.  Jason also confirmed my "suspicions" that one of the clerks was "crushable", so...  Maybe next time I'll get a name.  ;)

Since we had passed Jacques Torres newest chocolate store on the way to Levain, we went ahead and stopped back in there on the way back.  I have to say, I was quite surprised at the prices, very reasonable.  In fact, almost "cheap" in some instances.  One kilo of his specially blended chocolate (dark, milk or white) is only $22, and the bags of treats start around $4.00.  Who knew?  I will most certainly be making a return trip there to sample some of their confections.

I also ended up stopping into Grandaisy Bakery.  GB just opened a location on 72nd Street - the original is down in SoHo.  I sampled their "Ossi di Morti" which are basically Almond Meringues.  Quite tasty, and only 2 for a $1.00!  -I think I have a new favorite cheap sweet treat.  :)

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #216 on: November 21, 2007, 08:51:36 PM »

Both.  But I'd say it leans more towards adult.  It's very Romantic.  And, frankly, a lot of the references to the classic Disney films will probably be lost on most kids.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #217 on: November 21, 2007, 08:57:51 PM »

After our Culinary exploration of some of the newest shops on the Upper West Side, we then proceeded to walk down to Lincoln Center to check out the tree on the Lincoln Center Plaza.  It won't be lit until next week, but it already looks beautiful.  -And, still, there were lots of people out and about.  Our guess was that since most of Broadway was shut down, that everyone was just exploring the rest of the city.  *We also then saw the signs directing people to where the Macy's Parade Balloons were being inflated.  Ahh.... And that would also explain the traffic since Central Park West was closed down.

We eventually ended up at Ralph's for a decent Italian meal, then down to Amy's Breads... Which was closing up shop as we approached.  Ah, well...  -They were out of Monkey Cake the night of Jason's birthday, so we were trying to right that wrong.  ;)

Then it was over to the Virgin Megastore.  I went ahead and picked up the new 2-CD edition of the soundtrack to "Hairspray", as well as the 2-DVD set.  -And I also spied the Locker Gift Set - what a hoot!  "Available in Penny Pink or Link Lime".  Oh, and the soundtrack for "Enchanted".  And since I had a couple of $5.00-off coupons, well...  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2007, 09:03:48 PM »

So, all in all, it really was quite a wonderful day.  DR Jason hits the road this weekend for his tour of "A Christmas Carol", so it will be a couple of weeks before I see him again.  He really has become quite a good and close friend over the past couple of years.  -And to think that we owe it all to HHW.  We met in person for the first time a few years ago back down in DC when I was working on South Pacific at Arena Stage.  However, it truly does feel like we've known each other much longer than that.  *Jason will be sending out word regarding his itinerary.  It turns out that only will be be in Dayton, OH, but he's also playing a few dates in parts of Indiana, so...  We'll see.

And I'm also glad I got to spend a bit of time with Larry today as well.  Another near and dear friend.  *And I do have to wonder how it would have been if he had joined us to see "August Rush".  Something tells me he would not have been as "entertained" as I was.  ;)

I truly am Thankful for them and everyone else here at HHW.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #219 on: November 21, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »

And, of course, Miss Juliana Hansen premiered the A Happy Working Song in our benefit and brought the house down.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #220 on: November 21, 2007, 09:07:21 PM »

Will we never get to page nine?  After all, it's nine o'clock.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: November 21, 2007, 09:09:59 PM »

As for PROJECT RUNWAY, I can't find any fault with the two designs that ended up as the bottom two, and I think the one who was found wanting probably deserved it.

But I wasn't enthusiastic about either of the top two designs. Of the two, I liked the one that won better than the second place finisher, but I thought some of the others that were in the "safe" group were better designs and prettier to look at on the runway.

What is with that strange designer who looks and acts like Agnes Gooch? Nelly is as nelly does and that young queen makes Sanjaya look positively masculine.  Is he wearing one of Ann Miller's old hairdos?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 09:16:52 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #222 on: November 21, 2007, 09:10:46 PM »

And as if my day could not get any better...

I had made a reservation to take a bus tomorrow morning down to DC.  However, I then realized that the bus pick-up spot is right down at 8th Ave and 34th Street - right by Penn Station, and right by Herald Square and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  And I also have a feeling that this bus line is sort of "first-come, first-served", and I really don't want to end up stranded down at Penn Station tomorrow morning, so...

I had checked JetBlue the other day, and saw an early morning flight, 6:45, going for $150.  Well, when I got back tonight, it was still there, and still had seats available.  So, I went ahead and checked Delta and USAir to see if they had any comparable deals.  They didn't.  However, when I went back to JetBlue's site, the fare had dropped to $140.  Cool!  And then when I went and confirmed my reservation, the priced dropped again to $130!  I guess it was meant to be!

-Of course, I still have to pack as well as organize some things here around the apartment, which means I probably won't sleep tonight - I need to leave here around 4:00am :-\  BUT, I can sleep once I'm down at my brother's house in Fairfax.  Dinner won't be served until around 5:00, so Uncle Jojo should be able to get a good nap in.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #223 on: November 21, 2007, 09:14:24 PM »

I haven't seen it, but it sounds like it has something for everyone a la MARY POPPINS. There are five songs in it, so DRs Elmore and Jose, is it right to call it a musical?

ENCHANTED is a lovely musical. It has two big dance sequences, the one in Central Park particularly endearing, and about the same number of songs as SWINGTIME, another of my favorite movie scores.  I never would have guessed that James Marsden would blossom into such a wonderful performer: his Prince is a hoot.

DR MBarnum, I think you will love ENCHANTED. Your niece will as well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #224 on: November 21, 2007, 09:16:31 PM »

Regarding the reveal by Jack on Project Runway in the coming weeks - SPOILER - if you want to be kept in the dark until the show reveals it, don't read further and don't click on the link to the Daily News, but I hope this is not what they're building up in this "sensationalistic" way

SPOILER ALERT

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/bwiddicombe/2007/10/15/2007-10-15_hiv_bias_charge_hits_runway.html

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #225 on: November 21, 2007, 09:21:33 PM »

I had checked JetBlue the other day, and saw an early morning flight, 6:45, going for $150.  Well, when I got back tonight, it was still there, and still had seats available.  So, I went ahead and checked Delta and USAir to see if they had any comparable deals.  They didn't.  However, when I went back to JetBlue's site, the fare had dropped to $140.  Cool!  And then when I went and confirmed my reservation, the priced dropped again to $130!  I guess it was meant to be!

-Of course, I still have to pack as well as organize some things here around the apartment, which means I probably won't sleep tonight - I need to leave here around 4:00am :-\  BUT, I can sleep once I'm down at my brother's house in Fairfax.  Dinner won't be served until around 5:00, so Uncle Jojo should be able to get a good nap in.

DR Jose, what fantastic news! Which terminal do you fly from?

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Safe travel vibes for DR Jose and all DRs on the road this weekend!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 09:22:07 PM by elmore3003 »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #226 on: November 21, 2007, 09:24:56 PM »

DR Jose, what fantastic news! Which terminal do you fly from?

I'll be flying JetBlue out of JFK - which is why I have to leave sort of early(!).
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #227 on: November 21, 2007, 09:29:14 PM »

SAFE TRAVEL VIBES TO ALL~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FJL

« Reply #228 on: November 21, 2007, 09:29:25 PM »

Does anyone know whether cabs on the street are plentiful at Boston South Station these days?  I'm taking the train to Boston on Saturday for a memorial service in Framingham on Sunday afternoon, and wondering if getting a cab from South Station in Boston is just a matter of going on the street and hailing a cab, or if I need to call a car service ahead of time.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: November 21, 2007, 09:29:38 PM »

I'll be flying JetBlue out of JFK - which is why I have to leave sort of early(!).

Lordy! The trip to JFK is as long as your bus ride to DC.

FJL

« Reply #230 on: November 21, 2007, 09:32:30 PM »

I've gone to Framingham from Boston and I could not find a cab - almost a "1776" reference

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2007, 09:34:18 PM »

We'd best have lots of detailed Thanksgiving Day festivity and food reports tomorrow.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: November 21, 2007, 09:34:31 PM »

I'm on my third motion picture on DVD.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #233 on: November 21, 2007, 09:35:55 PM »

Bedtime viewing will be the first episode of Love, American Style.  I didn't realize the first season was in 1969.  There were two popular shows that I always wanted to do and never got to - Room 222 (I certainly read for about ten episodes), and Love, American Style (which I never ever even had a reading for, despite having worked on the Paramount lot a bunch of times).

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #234 on: November 21, 2007, 09:37:22 PM »

Pray Tell-What are The DVD's ??

Cillaliz

« Reply #235 on: November 21, 2007, 09:39:54 PM »

Bedtime viewing will be the first episode of Love, American Style.  I didn't realize the first season was in 1969.  There were two popular shows that I always wanted to do and never got to - Room 222 (I certainly read for about ten episodes), and Love, American Style (which I never ever even had a reading for, despite having worked on the Paramount lot a bunch of times).

I watched both shows every time they were on... my, I was a little young to be watching Love American Style...

Room 222 was one of my favorites. It's theme is one of the first songs I memorized on the piano

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #236 on: November 21, 2007, 09:40:29 PM »

Lordy! The trip to JFK is as long as your bus ride to DC.

Tell me about it.  Now I'm pondering whether or not to splurge on the taxi or car service out there in a few hours.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #237 on: November 21, 2007, 09:41:01 PM »

And speaking of a few hours...  I guess I should start packing!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #238 on: November 21, 2007, 09:42:16 PM »

Well, I should get some sleep. I have promised to try to be on the road by 8:00 AM so I can do some chores around the house for my parents before the family arrives for dinner.  I'm looking forward to going up tomorrow but am SOOO glad I'm coming back home.  

I'm recording the Macy's parade. I'm curious to see what the Legally Blonde cast is wearing.

Cillaliz

« Reply #239 on: November 21, 2007, 09:42:54 PM »

They're doing "What You Want" I think, that will certainly look different without band uniforms
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up