Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: A BEACHED WHALE LIVING IN A FOOL'S PARADISE  (Read 22664 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:A BEACHED WHALE LIVING IN A FOOL'S PARADISE
« Reply #240 on: November 24, 2007, 08:16:44 PM »

Next came PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END. What a mishmash of ideas and plot stands this one is! Anyway, I didn't get quite two hours into it before I had to turn it off. I'll finish it tomorrow and also watch the second disc of bonus material.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #241 on: November 24, 2007, 08:19:16 PM »

Page Nine Albus Dumbledore Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #242 on: November 24, 2007, 08:21:44 PM »

And then came TORCHWOOD.

Good episode but the teasing of the gay audience in particular until we got our payoff was REALLY excruciating.

However, the payoff was more than worth it. Quite a beautiful and poignant love story. I just wish we could have had a lot more of it and less other stuff (though, of course that WAS necessary).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #243 on: November 24, 2007, 08:23:05 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, we never made it out of the apartment today - well, Steve's apartment.  The Richmond Men's Chorus is having their Christmas Concert next weekend, and Steve is the rehearsal and performance pianist for the group.  They are performing a choral arrangement of Brahms' "Geistliches Wiegenlied" - one of my favorite pieces of vocal chamber music (it's original score for alto, piano and viola).  Well, they're performing the number with a clarinetist instead of a violist, and "they" just realized that the scores they were sent did not include an actual (transposed) clarinet part.  Well... Since I'm familiar with the piece, and since a good chunk of the piece repeats, I went ahead and Finale'd the clarinet part.  -And got a good "reminder" of what it's like to deal with Alto Clef.

However, I did get a pretty good lunch out of the deal.  Steve had baked some Turkey Legs (not leftovers - he even brined them), and came up with a sort of free-form casserole with carrots, celery, onions and rice.  Quite good and healthy.

In any case, I was more than happy to help out - the clarinet player had sent a "I'm having a meltdown" e-mail earlier in the day to Steve and the leader of the RMC.  *And I also had a good time "proofing" part by playing along with the computer on Steve's new-ish baby grand piano. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #244 on: November 24, 2007, 08:23:33 PM »

DR Jose - thanks for mentioning the online Weight watchers. I'm seriously considering that. First I need to get my but cheeks 3 1/2 blocks down the hill to Curves and start getting this body into shape.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #245 on: November 24, 2007, 08:31:20 PM »

After putting the Brahms' clarinet part to rest, we headed over to Steve's sister's house for yet another Thanksgiving dinner.  Not all of Steve's family was there, but a good chunk of them were.  It was great seeing all of them.  And, yes, Steve's mother is doing quite a bit better health-wise now.  In fact, there were a few moments tonight when she seemed to be doing really well - gotta love those meds!  ;)

It was the typical Austin family spread: Smoked Turkey (Steve's father does wonderful smoked turkeys), Baked Ham, Fried Okra, Green Beans, Baked Yams, Cranberry Sauce, Rice, White House Rolls, and Gravy (I don't think I've ever seen such a large container of gravy in my life!).  And for dessert: Pecan Pie, Apple Spice Cake and some "Eggnog Puffs" from Costco (basically cream puffs filled with Eggnog flavored cream).  Oh!  And Steve's father also brought over some homemade Scuppernog and Muscadine Wine.  Tasty!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #246 on: November 24, 2007, 08:34:56 PM »

DR Jose - thanks for mentioning the online Weight watchers. I'm seriously considering that. First I need to get my but cheeks 3 1/2 blocks down the hill to Curves and start getting this body into shape.

You're welcome, DR Cillaliz.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #247 on: November 24, 2007, 08:38:59 PM »

See what we all missed:

http://www.cajungrocer.com/fresh-foods-holiday-dishes-turducken-c-1_15_24.html

Hmmm... Turducken... We had one last year at Christmas.  I liked it, but I think was more impressed with the concept rather than the execution.  Or something like that.  My favorite part of it was the Cajun Andouille-wild-rice stuffing.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #248 on: November 24, 2007, 08:48:11 PM »

I realized today that I never bought a DVD version of the Le Miz 10th Anniversary Concert.  I have the video, and I love it, so I thought I would treat myself.  I had no idea that it was out of print.

E-bay has copies going for between $56.00 to $150.oo for Buy It Now.  Amazon has used copies going as high as $299.00.

Wow!

Hmm... I think I may actually have an extra copy or two of this on my shelves. I know I have at least two copies of it on VHS.  -It's what happens when you have a friend who works for a local PBS affiliate and they need to clear out extra premiums.  Well...  I'll check to see if I do indeed have an extra copy or two, and if I do, I'll get it in the mail to you.

*However, I also think I just saw the DVD of the Anniversary Concert at Virgin the other night.  They just repackaged and repriced most of the Les Miserables recordings, so...  -Once I'm back in NYC...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #249 on: November 24, 2007, 08:53:36 PM »

If anyone is looking for some inspiration to get back to the gym, to get in better shape... Or if you just want to look at some Ford Models doing exercises... ;D

Model Fitness
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 08:57:10 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #250 on: November 24, 2007, 08:55:26 PM »

Heading down to bed now.

Good night!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #251 on: November 24, 2007, 10:02:59 PM »

MattH, I rather enjoyed that episode also.

I had seen many of the eppies earlier this year but out of respect for others who had not seen it I wanted to wait to comment.

I am becomng a fan of John Barrowman.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 10:08:02 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #252 on: November 24, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »

I am really curious to see how Catharine Tate will do as the doctors companion in the next series. They are bringing Martha back. That could get intesresting.

A freind sent me a clip as a cheering up bit. The BBC had a program called Children in Need and they had a small skit from Doctor Who and it had David Tennant and Peter Davison. It was nice to see Peter again.

BTW, the Christmas special should be interesting. It is about the Titanic. It is called Voyage of the Damned.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #253 on: November 24, 2007, 11:07:42 PM »

The Twin Peaks marathon continues.  Such a good cast.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #254 on: November 24, 2007, 11:09:03 PM »

I got a very sweet e-mail from my cousin Dee Dee, who'd given Murder At Hollywood High to her mother - her mother gave it to a ninety-something year old man who loves mysteries and he told her that he thought it was one of the best he's read.  I love that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #255 on: November 24, 2007, 11:09:16 PM »

Will we never get to page ten?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #256 on: November 24, 2007, 11:49:49 PM »

Do you know when the last post was made (besides my three?) - ten o'clock.  What has happened to our late-night denizens.  Why would they be here like crazy for three months in a row and then just disappear like so much fish?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #257 on: November 25, 2007, 01:19:14 AM »

I've only been to Outback once and I loved the Bloomin' onion.  Just reading your post makes me want to go there just to get it. :D

Head on over here tonight and pick me up, and we'll go to one together. That's a great plan!

;)

I wasn't able to go tonight.  I ushered for a tour of Late Nite Catechism and afterwards, I went to a birthday party for one of the cast members of Nite of the Living Dead! The Musical!  That was fun, but I just got home about a half hour ago...too late of The Outback. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #258 on: November 25, 2007, 01:21:48 AM »

Right now, I put in the second disc of the 2-disc DVD for the movie "Hairspray" and I'm watching the documentary, "You Can't Stop the Beat: the Long Journey of Hairspray."  It's quite fascinating and informative.  It's most of the people who worked on the show and not just people talking about the people who worked on the show. :)

See how late I was able to modify this message:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 02:15:00 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #259 on: November 25, 2007, 01:34:15 AM »

Evidently, today is not yet locked. ::)

;)

George

« Reply #260 on: November 25, 2007, 01:55:24 AM »

I realized today that I never bought a DVD version of the Le Miz 10th Anniversary Concert.  I have the video, and I love it, so I thought I would treat myself.  I had no idea that it was out of print.

E-bay has copies going for between $56.00 to $150.oo for Buy It Now.  Amazon has used copies going as high as $299.00.

Wow!

Wow! is right!  I also don't have the DVD, but if you have a region code free DVD player (as I do), you could get it brand new from Amazon.co.uk in England for 13.48 GBP (about $28 or so), or as little as 5.66 GBP from a Marketplace seller.  

George

« Reply #261 on: November 25, 2007, 02:16:03 AM »

I'm thinking about donuts.

"From Dollars To Donuts"??

;D

George

« Reply #262 on: November 25, 2007, 02:16:44 AM »

I got a very sweet e-mail from my cousin Dee Dee, who'd given Murder At Hollywood High to her mother - her mother gave it to a ninety-something year old man who loves mysteries and he told her that he thought it was one of the best he's read.  I love that.

Tell Ask him to write a review on Amazon! ;)

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 02:17:02 AM by George »

George

« Reply #263 on: November 25, 2007, 02:17:26 AM »

Good night...guests. 8)

Matt H.

« Reply #264 on: November 25, 2007, 07:29:12 AM »

You're right, DR George!

Saturday isn't locked yet!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #265 on: November 25, 2007, 09:08:16 AM »

If I were a Rabbi, we'd have very irreverant sermons, original plays and musicals, and we'd all say "What is it, fish?"

ROTFLOL.   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up