Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: OUTRE PLUS  (Read 29870 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:OUTRE PLUS
« Reply #330 on: December 11, 2007, 08:25:42 PM »

Spoo! The only thing I forgot to do, and I'm I forgot it, was to introduce SDR Jose to Joanna Gleason.  We did have an elevator ride with Kelli O'Hara who was absolutely gorgeous with a tiny, tiny waist and absolutely glorious gown.  The concert went well, I thought, and moved bvery quickly.  I caught our DR Jose weepy at one point after the "Silent Night," but the number - which they've done for the past ten years or so - used to make me weepy, too.  Now I just marvel at the beauty of it.

I'll let DR Jose say more.  I'm glad it went so beautifully, and there were several absolutely wonderful moments.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #331 on: December 11, 2007, 08:25:49 PM »

DR EDISAURUS is a PREDITOR!!!!

You talkin' to me? I'm the only one standin' here!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #332 on: December 11, 2007, 08:26:31 PM »

Didn't find very much of interest in tonight's BOSTON LEGAL. We know the public school system is in trouble, and we know the National Guard is occupied in places other than stateside. The Lorraine storyline has bugged me for weeks, and it doesn't seem to be letting up. So, it was a miss for me this week.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

« Reply #333 on: December 11, 2007, 08:29:11 PM »

I guess we all get a taste of that here.  We all live decidedly different -- differently motivated and differently inspired...lives, and yet we come together anyway.

Well, we do get a taste of fancy chandeliers whenever DR Laura goes to Vegas!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Kerry

« Reply #334 on: December 11, 2007, 08:29:48 PM »

DR KERRY - I don't remember hearing the Ramon Navarro story before.

How is the foot?
I'm glad my stories are new to someone!

The foot's getting better, I can get around most of the time with just the lace-up ankle support.  But i still wear the big boot when i drive or go out in public.  I've worked too hard to chance a re-injury.  I was telling someone earlier that if I'd had a job, i could go back to it this way with limited walking.  However, appplying for a job with this soft cast on and limited abilities are not real great selling points!  It's all good though, and I know i'm lucky!
I like boat races.

Edisaurus

« Reply #335 on: December 11, 2007, 08:46:07 PM »

We had to go up north so we got to have dinner at my favorite Vietnamese restaurant which grills meat in grape leaves. I always get grape lead salmon...sooooo goooood!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #336 on: December 11, 2007, 08:48:10 PM »

I have some writing to do, so I'd better get to it. Then, it's downstairs to bed.

Good night!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #337 on: December 11, 2007, 09:18:23 PM »

Good Evening!

Yes, as DR elmore stated, I did get weepy during the Gay Men's Chorus concert earlier this evening.  And, yes, I did get to meet Ms. Kelli O'Hara in her beautiful gown and small waist.  And, yes, I did not get introduced to Ms. Joanna Gleason, but, no worries - we've actually met before, so...  ;)

I also got to shake hands with the chorus' new music director, Dr. Charles Beale.  Tonight's concert was his inaugural concert with the organization, and I have to say that I really did have quite a wonderful time.  -And I "blame" him. ;)

I've basically shied away from gay men's chorus concerts for the past couple of years due to some very "unfortunate" concerts I had attended in the past.  Sometimes the inherent kitsch factor just gets to be a bit too twee for me.  Tonight's concert did have a few touches of kitsch, but they were pulled off with class and knowing tongue-in-cheekiness.

The repertoire selection was quite varied - which also contributed to my enjoyment of the concert.  And DR elmore's contributions were well-received by these often too-critical ears.

Most importantly, tonight's concert was just the kick in the pants I needed to get into the Christmas Spirit.  The past couple of weeks have been busy, scattered, and at time unfocused for me.  It was just nice to smile tonight, and to be in the company of a dear friend.  Thank you, Larry.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #338 on: December 11, 2007, 09:21:13 PM »

Oh... And tonight's audience participation number was "The Twelve Days of Christmas".  Each section of the audience - up in the top balcony - was assigned a day, and the whole audience was "Five Golden Rings".  So, each time your day came up - along with the Fifth Day - your section of the audience stood up and sang along.  Quite the aerobic workout!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #339 on: December 11, 2007, 09:23:45 PM »

I loved playing Senex!!   ;D

I was once cast as Pseudolus, but the show never went beyond a second rehearsal as cast members just didn't show up.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #340 on: December 11, 2007, 09:26:06 PM »

Happy you got all those treasure before you go away for the holidays, DR Ron. Why don't you take one of those DVD sets home to SC with you? Surely you'd have a spare moment to watch something during the time you're there.

I'll watch "The Bourne Ultimatum" before tomorrow night.  As for taking anything home, it never works out.  There's never sit/watch time during the day...and something "seasonal" attracts my mom's attention in the evenings.  Besides, I enjoy watching FMC and TCM while I'm home.  

The DVDs will keep.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #341 on: December 11, 2007, 09:26:16 PM »

We had to go up north so we got to have dinner at my favorite Vietnamese restaurant which grills meat in grape leaves. I always get grape lead salmon...sooooo goooood!

Hmm... I haven't had grape-leaf salmon before, since I usually stick with the grape-leaf-grilled pork.  There was a place in Fairfax, VA, that combines a few different Vietnamese cooking methods in one.  They do the ground pork and shrimp wrapped around sticks of sugar cane, then wrap that all up in grape leaves before grilling.  I love putting it all together at the table with the lettuce leaves, noodles, shredded carrots and cucumber and nuoc nam.

Did you go to the Grape Leaf Grill?  If so, I've actually been there before.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #342 on: December 11, 2007, 09:27:01 PM »

...And I've always enjoyed playing in the pit for A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #343 on: December 11, 2007, 09:27:55 PM »

Well, we do get a taste of fancy chandeliers whenever DR Laura goes to Vegas!

But are they out on the streets as decorations?  :)

I think BK should do a drive down Rodeo with Cason and Adriana and get some pictures to post here at the site just to show us what a Beverly Hills Christmas looks like!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #344 on: December 11, 2007, 09:28:50 PM »

DR TCB - Ditto!  I'd see a doctor sooner rather than later.  Or at least call one up, or even consult with a pharmacist at your local drugstore.  Stay well!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 09:29:08 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #345 on: December 11, 2007, 09:29:44 PM »

I've been invited to two, count em two, Christmas shindigs down south...one in San Diego and one in the greater LA area.  Both from internet acquaintances!

I'd love to go, but I'd rather be in South Carolina with my mom!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #346 on: December 11, 2007, 09:30:54 PM »

Why, we could be reported for having a photograph of a naked bare-assed child on the Internet, don't you know.

What makes you think I that someone hasn't already done that?

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #347 on: December 11, 2007, 09:34:06 PM »

Oh, and, lo and behold, when I got back to the apartment tonight, there was a Christmas tree set up in the living room.  A rather large Christmas tree - even she was surprised at how big it was after she had taken off the netting. But, heck, it's a Christmas tree.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #348 on: December 11, 2007, 09:35:35 PM »

Good evening!  I had a good time at the Temptations concert.  There is only one original Temptation left...Otis Williams.  The sound could have been better. One of my pet peeves is the way everything is amplified in the Orpheum. It has great acoustics naturally, but when they set up the giant speakers, there are dead places and I was sort of in one. So, some of it was hard to hear.   When they sang a capella, the harmony was fabulous and I adored them

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #349 on: December 11, 2007, 09:36:44 PM »

And speaking of the internet... It appears that I will not be playing the EPAs for Gypsy tomorrow.  Instead, I will be playing the EPAs for Passing Strange.  So, it looks like it will be an R&B day for me.  :-\  I love listening to R&B, but I always feel uncomfortable playing it.  -In auditions at least.  I always find myself wishing a bass player and drummer were in the room with me.  However, I suspect it will be a fun call, and it will also be my first time working for the Public Theatre too.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #350 on: December 11, 2007, 09:43:41 PM »

Jose &/or Larry - Any further Boston thoughts?  Or is that just not going to work out this year schedule-wise?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #351 on: December 11, 2007, 09:46:42 PM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Ditto.

The main reason I switched over from a PC to a Mac a couple years ago was that Microsoft/Windows was gearing their products towards ALWAYS being connected to the net.  There was just too much stuff always going on in the background.

I use my computer for e-mail and word processing and, yes, surfing and chatting via the net.  I'm not a video-computer-gamer, so I don't use it for that.  I'm also not much of a music downloader.  And HHW is the only "chat board" I read and contribute to on a regular basis.

As others have stated, I just don't want to be that connected.  There's just no need for me to be "available" all the time, professionally or personally.  I even downgraded my cellphone last spring to a non-camera one.  I simply wanted a phone that was a phone, not a camera, MP3 player and web-browser.

Are there times when I wish I had more features on my computer (or my cellphone)?  Yes, of course.  But then when I find myself having to recharge my iPod because I haven't used in a week.. or even two... well...  *I even think now that I may have left my iPod on the plane when I flew home for Thanksgiving.  Yes, I'm sort of mad at myself for losing it, but, frankly, I don't really miss it.  -Although, I think I'm going to buy a new one next week.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #352 on: December 11, 2007, 09:48:33 PM »

Jose &/or Larry - Any further Boston thoughts?  Or is that just not going to work out this year schedule-wise?

Well... The only time I know I can go up at this point is this Thursday, and that would be just for the night.  -Or I could go up next Thursday, but again, that would just be for the night.  So, I think I'm going to have to go another Christmas without seeing White Christmas this year.  *Although, I do reserve the right to head out on my own at the last moment should the spirit move me.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #353 on: December 11, 2007, 09:53:06 PM »

...And I've always enjoyed playing in the pit for A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum.  ;)

I have played 1 (count them) 1 performance of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forun.  My pal Mark was in a bind and begged me to come in.  I didn't know the show well and I had about 36 hours to even look at the score.  In the end, the first violinist said "You're the best sub we've had yet".  It's something I don't wish to do again :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #354 on: December 11, 2007, 09:54:27 PM »

Oh... And as for what I love about the net: People.  And as for what I hate about the net:  People.  ;)

However, I have to say that I've made many friends over the years via the net.  I like chatting, and, yes, I'm one of those people who tends to be shy in person, but very non-shy via a chat window.  I'm very inquisitive by nature, so I tend to ask a lot of questions of people.  Sometimes too many questions.  It's just my way of screening people who I eventually want to meet in person.  And contrary to popular belief, I do not meet everyone at The Reservoir.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #355 on: December 11, 2007, 10:01:14 PM »

I have played 1 (count them) 1 performance of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forun.  My pal Mark was in a bind and begged me to come in.  I didn't know the show well and I had about 36 hours to even look at the score.  In the end, the first violinist said "You're the best sub we've had yet".  It's something I don't wish to do again :)

:)

I've done a few shows where I was called in at the last minute, and I've always had a wonderful and exciting(!) time in those situations.  It amazes me just how much my concentration comes into focus.

*I still remember basically having to read the Piano 2 book for Side By Side By Sondheim on six hours(!) notice... And then the total shock and surprise and amusement when the reviewer from The Washington Post mentioned the two pianists by name in the closing paragraph of her review - we were one of the few things she really loved about the production!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #356 on: December 11, 2007, 10:02:24 PM »

Well, since I have to be up in a couple of hours to play some auditions...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #357 on: December 11, 2007, 10:04:24 PM »

I think we should do a HHW production of Side By Side By Sondheim  :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 10:50:34 PM by Matthew »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #358 on: December 11, 2007, 10:18:31 PM »

...Or even Side By Side By Sondheim.  ;)

-And maybe bk could get Mr. Sondheim to structure a new "Conversation Piece" for our production.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 10:22:12 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #359 on: December 11, 2007, 10:39:56 PM »

Are we STILL on page twelve?  I'm finished viewing for the evening.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up