Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY OF THE DO  (Read 29754 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE DAY OF THE DO
« Reply #360 on: December 24, 2007, 11:42:46 PM »

PAGE 13 DANCE!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #361 on: December 24, 2007, 11:45:29 PM »

So... As I was saying earlier, our first stop was the James Center in downtown Richmond.  Each year, they set up this great display of lights, and each year it seems to grow just a little bigger.  This is basically Richmond's Christmas Tree.  A few days after Thanksgiving, they have a their "Grand Illumination" where they flick the switch, and a good chunk of downtown Richmond lights up.  They even outline the buildings in lights - which you can see in the background of one of some of the pics.  -And which you'll be able to see clearly in the last photo post.

Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #362 on: December 24, 2007, 11:48:43 PM »

Nice pictures, Jose!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #363 on: December 24, 2007, 11:49:17 PM »

Today, I received a lovely card from TCB! :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #364 on: December 24, 2007, 11:50:20 PM »

Then we drove up to the Jefferson Hotel.  The Jefferson is a truly beautiful hotel, and even moreso at Christmas.  When we entered the lobby, we saw this:

And here's a view from the upper level:

*The staircase of the Jefferson Hotel has long been fabled to have been the inspiration for the staircase in "Gone With The Wind".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #365 on: December 24, 2007, 11:52:02 PM »

The upper lobby is where the check-in area is, as well as where you can see a statue of the hotel's namesake:

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 12:04:13 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #366 on: December 24, 2007, 11:54:37 PM »

If you look to the right in the pic I posted above, you can see the Gingerbread House that is set up in the lobby.  Alas, due to that pesky marble column in the way, it was hard to get a complete shot of the house, but here is a detail:

*I liked how they used Gummi-Worms for the icicles.

OH!, and it even came complete with it's own Dog House:

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #367 on: December 24, 2007, 11:56:56 PM »

Underneath the Christmas tree, there is a display of folk dolls - all of which can be purchased in the gift shop, of course.  There are some classic figures (Santa, The Three Kings, Nutcrackers, etc.), as well as some historical ones too:

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #368 on: December 24, 2007, 11:58:19 PM »

And before we leave the Jefferson Hotel, here are a few pics for some of our DRs in Arizona:

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #369 on: December 24, 2007, 11:59:37 PM »

And, finally - for tonight at least - here is a pic of the Richmond skyline I took from the rooftop deck of Steve's building:

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #370 on: December 25, 2007, 12:00:41 AM »

*And I owe a big Thank You to Steve for showing me how to set my camera up properly for night-time shots.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #371 on: December 25, 2007, 12:03:18 AM »

DR Jane - If you ever find yourself in Richmond, the main restaurant in the Jefferson Hotel, Lemaire, actually features some haute vegetarian cuisine.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #372 on: December 25, 2007, 12:05:56 AM »

A shopdropper at work?

der Brucer

Possibly.  Or maybe just someone who hit the "+" key too many times by accident on the purchase screen.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #373 on: December 25, 2007, 12:07:33 AM »

Great night pictures, Jose!  I wish I had a camera that could take pictures at night that well.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #374 on: December 25, 2007, 12:13:49 AM »

And while driving back from Steve's, I heard about the deaths of Michael Kidd and Oscar Peterson on the radio.  All I can say is that there must be some kickin' party with some great music and dancing going on somewhere right now.  :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 12:23:19 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #375 on: December 25, 2007, 12:19:09 AM »

Great night pictures, Jose!  I wish I had a camera that could take pictures at night that well.

I didn't think I did until Steve looked at my camera and asked what "that" did and what "that" meant.  Well, after exploring some of the menus I had never seen before, and after getting some guidance from Steve about setting my exposure levels, I was able to take those pics.

He also gave me a great tip in regards to keeping the camera steady while taking a pic with a long exposure: If there is a "solid" object nearby - a building, a pillar, a wall, etc. - and if you can still get the proper angle/view, just place your camera against it while you take the picture to help steady your camera.  It's not a foolproof method, but it does help immensely.  *However, if you have one of those new digital cameras with the anti-shake feature, well, then just make sure that that is turned on.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #376 on: December 25, 2007, 12:20:17 AM »

Second wave of people did, in fact, show up, so I'm quite behind and shall now attempt to write very fast notes.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #377 on: December 25, 2007, 12:22:40 AM »

bk - Sounds like you had another wonderful Christmas Eve Do!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #378 on: December 25, 2007, 12:23:03 AM »

I didn't think I did until Steve looked at my camera and asked what "that" did and what "that" meant.  Well, after exploring some of the menus I had never seen before, and after getting some guidance from Steve about setting my exposure levels, I was able to take those pics.

He also gave me a great tip in regards to keeping the camera steady while taking a pic with a long exposure: If there is a "solid" object nearby - a building, a pillar, a wall, etc. - and if you can still get the proper angle/view, just place your camera against it while you take the picture to help steady your camera.  It's not a foolproof method, but it does help immensely.  *However, if you have one of those new digital cameras with the anti-shake feature, well, then just make sure that that is turned on.

My camera was a Christmas gift from my parents last year.  It does have a night setting and I've set it on solid objects (my car, usually), but it's just not good enough to really make much difference for night pictures. :-\ But for the most part, it does take pictures during the day or with the flash that are good enough.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 12:23:43 AM by George »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #379 on: December 25, 2007, 12:29:47 AM »

My camera was a Christmas gift from my parents last year.  It does have a night setting and I've set it on solid objects (my car, usually), but it's just not good enough to really make much difference for night pictures. :-\ But for the most part, it does take pictures during the day or with the flash that are good enough.

Try turning off your Flash when in Night mode - my camera will still use the flash in night mode.  That will cause the camera to take a longer exposure.  Additionally, another trick I use is to use the self-timer, this way I'm not pushing the button down and moving the camera while I'm taking the pic.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 12:31:11 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #380 on: December 25, 2007, 12:46:04 AM »

Try turning off your Flash when in Night mode - my camera will still use the flash in night mode.  That will cause the camera to take a longer exposure.  Additionally, another trick I use is to use the self-timer, this way I'm not pushing the button down and moving the camera while I'm taking the pic.

Thanks for the info. :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #381 on: December 25, 2007, 12:46:47 AM »

Well, this creature is still stirring, and he really shouldn't be since he has to be up in five hours, so...  

Goodnight.

*Besides, Santa won't stop by until I'm asleep with visions of sugarplums dancing in my head.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #382 on: December 25, 2007, 12:52:08 AM »

Good night, Jose.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #383 on: December 25, 2007, 12:55:31 AM »

...a LOT of spaghetti was consumed, as well as tuna pasta salad, and our various and sundried desserts.  All in all - splendiferous.
Too stuffed to try the desserts, but they looked delicious. The spaghetti & tuna/pasta salad were wonderful, though. :)
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #384 on: December 25, 2007, 12:58:43 AM »

Home safe from singing at midnight mass (which actually starts at 10 so it can be done by midnight). Now off to dreamland, so I can be up in time to sing tomorrow morning!
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up