Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UNEVENTFUL EVENT  (Read 20832 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE UNEVENTFUL EVENT
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2004, 11:44:40 AM »

Chinese Appetizer

**Another Chinese Dish:  Ken Wanatabe

TCB, I am afraind you have your Asian dishes mixed up. Ken is actually Japanese...so have him over for some sushi! (not over sushi...over for sushi)

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2004, 11:47:35 AM »

I don't think orange chicken is big here. Most places I go to don't even serve it. Yet everyone I know from other cities talks about it as their favorite.

I love everything about Chinese food. I think it is my favorite. Love pineapple chicken. Love wonton soup. Love it all.

Okay now I'm gonna be craving it all day.

Oh in good news, I've done pilates twice this week. The funny thing is the only thing that motivated me, was seeing the infomercial again on tv (it's for winsor pilates). Seeing all these celebs i know say how great it was - and how it gives you a dancer's body, made me start again!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 11:51:14 AM by Jennifer »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2004, 11:48:39 AM »

I have the say that the clothes for ON THE TOWN were ugly.  And the "new" songs were mostly pretty bad.  And the last ballet was kind of like an ON THE TOWN megamix....the whole show again in 10 minutes!

Give me EASTER PARADE or KISS ME KATE anyday!  Or of course 7B47B!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2004, 11:48:59 AM »

Hey, those healthy vibes is was sending out earlier were also for you DRJose! I didn't realize you were also under the weather (I must read posts more clearly)

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2004, 11:52:17 AM »

I have the say that the clothes for ON THE TOWN were ugly.  

Now JRand53, I was thinking that the clothes in ON THE TOWN were beautiful! The color coordination of Ann Miller's frocks were fun, and the dress that Betty Garrett wears when they are on the Empire State Building was cool with those butterflies pinned on! And Gene Kelly certainly fit into his sailor uniform quite nicely IMO.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 11:54:14 AM by MBarnum »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2004, 11:57:56 AM »

Of course, the most popular dish in LA is Chinese Chicken Salad, which isn't even Chinese.

Ben

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2004, 12:01:36 PM »

I'm back from a meeting that went much longer than expected. I have an hour left here at the office. Can't wait to go home!!!

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2004, 12:12:58 PM »

Sorry I've been E&T for a few days...I have been trying to catch up but just when I'm getting close, I get interrupted!  I'm at work now, but I've had several auditions lately and another one tomorrow, two on Monday, and one on Tuesday.

As for today's topic, I don't really enjoy Chinese food anymore, although I love Chinese chicken salads and pu-pu platters.

Ask Noel to tell you about his song "Moo-Goo-Gai-Pan".
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2004, 12:14:00 PM »

Pupu platters are the coprophiliacs favorite Chinese dish.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2004, 12:17:12 PM »

An hour ago it was 17 degrees and now it is 11 degrees!  That is six degrees of separation.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2004, 12:17:33 PM »

Oh, yes, Panda Express!  It really should qualify as a guilty pleasure for me, because it's mall food, but back when I was working in Glendale I'd head down to the Galleria for lunch almost every day.  For one thing, it was fast, and for another thing, it wasn't McD's or any of the other burger chains, which always leave my mouth feeling sludged.  (I'd kind of alternate between Panda Express and La Salsa, which was also healthier than Ronald and his ilk.)

Favorites?  Orange chicken, sweet and sour pork, black pepper chicken.  And I'd always doctor the chow mein noodles with hot sauce.

In a different direction, I'd head over to a place called the Bamboo Palace, which knew how to serve up good food fast.  I'd usually have the Kung Pao Three Kinds, which was spicy and loaded with chicken, pork, and shrimp.  They'd always start their lunches off with a bowl of soup, which was usually hot-and-sour or egg drop.  Oh, and there's be a crispy won-ton and rice (steamed or fried, I'd always ask for the latter).  Even with tip it came to less than $10, and I always over-tipped because the people there were so nice.

Let's get a recipe in here, too, something I was able to do at home (to der Brucer's delight, once I figured out how to do it right).

Sweet and Sour Pork  Serves six (easily halved)

Cut 2 pounds pork butt (shoulder) into 1-inch cubes.  In a bowl, combine 1 egg, 1 T cornstarch, 1/2 t salt, and 1/2 t black pepper; add pork and toss to coat evenly.

Heat 2 c vegetable oil in a wok (or use a deep frier) (but not a deep friar) to 350 degrees.  Add pork cubes and cook until crispy and golden, about 7 minutes.  Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels or a rack.  (This can be done in batches.)

Pour off almost all of the oil, saving 1 1/2 T in wok.  Return to high heat, adding a slice of fresh ginger for flavor (about 5 seconds); discard ginger.  Add 1/4 c diced bell peppers (red, green, or mixture), 1/4 c carrots, sliced thin, and 1/4 c diced white onion, stir-fry for a minute to soften.

In a small bowl, combine 1/4 c sugar, 1/4 c cider vinegar, 2 T soy sauce, 1 T ketchup, 1 T cornstarch and 1/3 c cold water.  Add to veggies in wok, bring to boil and stir until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.  Return pork to wok, heat through, transfer to a platter and serve.

(Chicken can be substituted for pork.  Or shrimp, which cooks much faster.  I strongly advise having everything ready before you start cooking, because this obviously moves fast once you start applying the heat.  And that oil you poured off?  Strain it, and it can be used several more times before it breaks down and has to be thrown out.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2004, 12:25:11 PM »

TCB, I am afraind you have your Asian dishes mixed up. Ken is actually Japanese...so have him over for some sushi! (not over sushi...over for sushi)
Just take a nice little dab of wasabi, behind the ear perhaps... :D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2004, 12:25:52 PM »

What is chinese chicken salad?

Tomovoz

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2004, 12:41:48 PM »

I do not like Chinese food in bed or any other place. I can stand to listen to the Monty Python record "I Like Chinese" but I do not remember ever really enjoying a Chinese meal - Thai and Mayasian yes. Chinese and Japanese no.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2004, 12:43:10 PM »

If Betty Boop were a coprophiliac, instead of boop-boop-a-doo, she would say Poop-Poop-a-doo.

Don't blame me!!! BK started it!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 12:43:44 PM by Ben »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2004, 12:43:27 PM »

CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD (serves 4)

Roast a 3 1/2 to 4 lb chicken.  When it is cool enough, remove and discard the skin and bones, and shred the meat.  Set meat aside.  Also shred 6 c iceburg lettuce, thinly slice 4 scallions, and lightly toast in a dry pan 1/2 c sliced almonds.  Set these aside as well.

In a large skillet or deep frier (not friar), heat oil to 375 degrees.  (Hey, we can re-use the oil from the Sweet and Sour Pork!)  Break 1 oz. rice sticks into pieces, and add to oil in batches, frying untill puffed, maybe 5 to 10 seconds per batch.  Drain on paper towels.

In a bowl large enough for tossing the salad, whisk together 1/4 c plus 2 T creamy peanut butter, 3 T dry sherry, 3 T rice vinegar, 1 T sugar, 1 T minced ginger, 1 minced garlic clove, and 1 t chili paste or Tabasco.  You may have to add a little water, up to 2 T, to get the dressing to a pourable consistancy.

Add the chicken, lettuce, scalions, and rice sticks to the dressing and toss until everything is well-blended together.  Divide on 4 plates, sprinkle with toasted almonds, and serve.

(Golly, I love having some of my cookbooks handy, even if they aren't all here yet!)

(Heck, you could just buy the roasted chicken.  And it's a great way to use up leftovers!)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 12:51:00 PM by S. Woody White »

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2004, 12:43:58 PM »

Question for anyone who watched American Idol last night.  The skinny guy with the tie/who was referred to as the pencial salesman. Did you guys hear him sing? I must be going crazy. But on the channel I was watching, they were only talking about him. But he never sang.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 12:46:04 PM by Jennifer »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2004, 12:49:36 PM »

But I haven't found a recipe for Orange Chicken...yet.  So far, I remember that it has a thicker coating than Sweet and Sour Chicken, not nearly as crunchy.  And it is dressed with a sauce made from orange juice, orange zest, and red pepper flakes (which gives it a good kick).

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2004, 12:53:52 PM »

I decided I did not have enough un-watched DVDs at home so I just ordered a slew of new releases from Alpha's website (www.oldies.com) including THE INNER SANCTUM and two early Gale Storm movies: FRECKLES GOES HOME and CITY OF MISSING GIRLS. LOL! Why do I do this to myself?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 12:54:25 PM by MBarnum »

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2004, 12:57:43 PM »

But I haven't found a recipe for Orange Chicken...yet.  So far, I remember that it has a thicker coating than Sweet and Sour Chicken, not nearly as crunchy.  And it is dressed with a sauce made from orange juice, orange zest, and red pepper flakes (which gives it a good kick).

Your recipes are making me so hungry. I want sweet and sour chicken now!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2004, 01:03:58 PM »

Perhaps some of the original Robbins choreography from ON THE TOWN is missing, but a major portion of it was in JEROME ROBBIN'S BROADWAY in the late 80s, recreated by Robbins himself.  There are many people who took part in that show who could recreate it for an ON THE TOWN revival and then at least part of the show would be faithful to the original.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2004, 01:07:05 PM »

Ken on a bed of sushi? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2004, 01:12:27 PM »

I miss the Indian place in the Glendale Galleria.  I used to eat there whenever I in the mall.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2004, 01:16:47 PM »

I really like SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS a lot; I think it's a really fine opriginal movie musical.

But for the score and witty dialogue, I still prefer KISS ME KATE.

Now, maybe if the brothers hadn't shaved off their beards, it might have been a different story.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2004, 01:20:42 PM »

The pencil salesman did indeed sing on AMERIUCAN IDOL last night. He had an OK voice, not breathtaking or earthshattering, but a pleasant, mellow crooning voice.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2004, 01:28:12 PM »

124 years old.  That would make W.C. Fields about ten years younger than my ex-wife......... and twice as attractive.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2004, 01:31:06 PM »

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't care. I LIKED the Roger Edens/Comden and Green songs added to ON THE TOWN. Were they as musically sophisticated as the songs they replaced by Leonard Bernstein - nope. But as I said last week when I picked ON THE TOWN as one of my five favorite MGM musicals, the new songs fit the Hollywood stars who were appearing in the film much better than the deleted songs would have. I would not have wanted to hear Gene Kelly sing "Lonely Town" or especially "Lucky to Be Me." Garrett, Miller, Sinatra, and Munshin could have handled "Some Other Time" quite well, and that is definitely missed, but I can't fault the songs that were dreamed up for the stars and their solo spots.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2004, 01:32:46 PM »

........I have been trying to catch up but just when I'm getting close, I get interrupted!  

If I had a quarter for every time I have said that!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2004, 01:38:07 PM »

Perhaps some of the original Robbins choreography from ON THE TOWN is missing, but a major portion of it was in JEROME ROBBIN'S BROADWAY in the late 80s, recreated by Robbins himself.  There are many people who took part in that show who could recreate it for an ON THE TOWN revival and then at least part of the show would be faithful to the original.
I wish you were right, WEL, but the portion of JR'sB that was devoted to On The Town was limited to "New York, New York" (combined with "Sailors On the Town") and "Ya Got Me."  There was simply too much material in Robbins' career for that show to include much of any one work.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2004, 01:41:20 PM »

I really like SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS a lot; I think it's a really fine opriginal movie musical.

But for the score and witty dialogue, I still prefer KISS ME KATE.

Now, maybe if the brothers hadn't shaved off their beards, it might have been a different story.
Ah, but one of the brothers kept his beard (and a fine red one it was, at that!).  Woof, Woof!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up