Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UNEVENTFUL EVENT  (Read 20834 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE UNEVENTFUL EVENT
« on: January 29, 2004, 12:01:22 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what happened and what didn't happen, you know what must be done so do it and do it with elan (nale, spelled backwards).  Let's post until the cows come home, shall we?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 12:07:57 AM by bk »

Laura II

Re:THE UNEVENTFUL EVENT
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 12:21:38 AM »

Chinese Food! Yay! I always get beef with mixed vegetables and a side of fried wontons. Yay for steamed rice!

Hope everyone is doing well! Tomorrow, well, today, I'll be going to La Salle to visit a friend for a couple of days. I saw the Broadway Showstoppers with Peter Nero and the Philly Pops tonight. I had an amazing time. :D So far, Philly has been wonderful!

"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jed

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 12:46:27 AM »

Probably my favorite Chinese food to prepare myself is peanut chicken.  Just saute some onions and peppers, then some chicken (lightly floured or not), add in some lovely peanut sauce from a jar, and serve over chow mein noodles or rice.  Yummilicious.

Also loves me some almond-fried chicken, mongolian beef, sweet & sour chicken, and a good chow mein, particularly of the pork variety (don't waste my time with sub-par chow mein).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 12:47:57 AM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 12:50:05 AM »

Oh, and an appetizer of barbecue pork with lots of sinus-clearing hot mustard is a must.  I'm a mustard masochist.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ben

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 05:37:30 AM »

Don't have much time this morning. I have two meetings which will take me to lunch so I won't be able to post the final London pictures. I will do that tomorrow.

Chinese. I love chicken with cashews and I also love things with Chinese eggplant.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 06:14:17 AM »

I love all kinds of Chinese foods... especially the various appetitizers... egg role, steamed dumplings, etc.  There are several decent (not exceptional) Chinese restaurants near my office so I eat a lot of Chinese fod for lunch.  What surprises me, though, is that usually I am the only one eating Chinese food in these restaurants... everyone else is eating chicken wings and fries!

Congratulations Michael Barnum on the interesting article you wrote about Richard Harrison for the February issue of Classic Images.  Although I did not know the name, I recognized him instantly from his scenes in "South Pacific".
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 06:19:09 AM »

Now that you have succeeded in having "Chinese Food In Bed" stuck in my head for t he rest of the day, guaranteed...

I love everything Chinese, especially when it's hot. Hot General Cso's (or however you spell it), hot lo mein, hot fried rice...deeeeeeelicious.

Two hour delay for school today, so I have another hour before I'm forced to suffer! Today is actually a good day, I have Biology, which is a bird class, Study Hall, Chorus, and History which is becoming a fun class :). I'm not sure what they're doing about Camelot auditions, which were supposed to be Tuesday/Thursday...he can't have them Friday, so I'm guess they're bumped to next week. Great! Less time for rehearsals!
...Walk in the sunshine...

MBarnum

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 07:13:54 AM »

DR WEL, thanks for the congrats on the Richard Harrison interview! He was a lot of fun to do an article on...had some pretty spicey stories too!

Mmmm...Chinese food...I am partial to sweet and sour chicken or pork...but I like the kind that is actually cooked in the sweet and sour, not the kind that just has it poured over the top just prior to serving.

When I go to Kim's Chinese restaurant in Medford Oregon I always order the Pressed Duck, Kim's Foo Yung, and Pea Pod Chow Yuk....delicious!!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2004, 07:14:16 AM »

Good morning. The first event of this so far uneventful day, is that my nose isn't running and I'm not coughing. That may not mean much to you, but it's an EVENT for me. I feel gooood (a James Brown reference). For the second event, I will take the wonderdog for a walk. then I shall go for a brisk walk on my own, while listening to my Walkman. That's TWO walks - two events. So far we've had four events and it's not even 7:30 AM. What a BUSY life!
As for Chinese food - love it, but have never made it myself. I suppose I could if I wanted to. But I don't want to. For me, one of the charms of Chinese food is going to a restaurant to eat it.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2004, 07:32:06 AM »

I go to a Chinese buffet almost every Saturday afternoon, so they don't have super creative things on their buffet. Of the things they do have, my favorite is Chinese pepper steak. I also love the salt and pepper pork, spare ribs, chicken, beef, or pork with broccoli, and chicken teriyaki.

If I'm in a Chinese restaurant and ordering off a menu I can eat just about anything as long as it's not TOO hot and spicy (digestive tract can't handle it well). Love Peiking duck, love seseme chicken, almond chicken. Love just about everything - oh, egg rolls with shrimp inside are to die for.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2004, 07:32:33 AM »

YOUR DAILY CHUCKLE

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2004, 07:41:40 AM »

A sad note for MAD Mag lovers:

Mad magazine artist Woodbridge dead
Longtime contributor known for detail

(Extracts from CNN)
NEW YORK (AP) --George Woodbridge, an illustrator for Mad magazine for nearly 50 years whose exquisitely detailed pen-and-ink drawings were featured in nearly every issue, has died. He was 73.

Woodbridge died of emphysema Tuesday, said his wife, Deborah Woodbridge.

"He had a tremendous eye for detail that showed up in his drawings," Mad Editor John Ficarra said Thursday. "We especially played to his history knowledge. When we gave him a piece on World War I, he would draw the exact gun and belt buckle they were using then."

One of Woodbridge's most memorable illustrations was for the 1965 sports satire "43-Man Squamish," about a nonsensical game in which the equipment included shepherd's crooks and diving flippers.

der Brucer (for a fun look at "43-Man Squamish", go to MAD Coversite)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2004, 07:47:04 AM »

On a happier note:

LONDON, England (AP) -- Peter Pan has outlived generations of children, but the boy who would not grow up remains as youthful as ever.

(Extracts from CNN )
This year marks the hundredth anniversary of J.M. Barrie's Never Land fantasy about fairies, pirates and staying forever young, a magical tale that still captivates children -- and adults -- around the world.

Flying with fairies and battling pirates may be what draws younger audiences to the story, but for adults it's the references to death and lost youth that shine through Barrie's tale.

(Unfortunately the article is marred by bringing up references to Barrie's alleged pedophia)

der Brucer (who will stick with "fairies and "pirates" - fie on death and lost youth)

MBarnum

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2004, 07:48:02 AM »

Last night I tried to watch KISS ME KATE and HIT THE DECK. I say tried because for some reason or another I just couldn't get through either one. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood or something. Maybe it was the cast, I dunno. I so enjoyed watching ON THE TOWN the other night.

So last night I taped NIGHT NURSE with Barbara Stanwyck, along with some other very early 1930s melodramas that all sound quite fun.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2004, 07:52:04 AM »

Another thought about Chinese food... I said in my previous post that eating it in a restaurant is the best. Well, take-out or delivered is also good. Yes, delivered rules. And lots of it.
BTW -- I don't like the trend these days in fortune cookies of spewing New Age homilies ("The man who gives of himself, gives of all mankind.") Hey, I just made up a pretty good New Ageism... Anyway, I want the real thing: "You will soon meet a tall dark stranger who will make you incredibly wealthy." That's a fortune.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2004, 07:52:14 AM »

I'm surprised about KISS ME KATE, DR MBarnum. THough the opening scene varies greatly from the stage version, the rest of the piece is fairly close to the original work, and I think the actors are all splendid, even someone like Kathryn Grayson who has never been a favorite of mine. The dancing is great, and Howard Keel and Tommy Rall in their tights, well, it just doesn't get much better than that.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2004, 07:53:47 AM »

BTW, I've never eaten Chinese food in bed though it sounds like somethng that might be fun IF there were someone there to share it with.

MBarnum

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2004, 08:10:15 AM »

DR MATTH, I probably should have given Kiss Me Kate more of a chance...I do like Howard Keel and Kathryn Grayson, and of course the wonderful Ann Miller, and the scene where Ann and Kathryn first meet was pretty funny...again, maybe I was not in the right frame of mind last night to watch it. Hit the Deck, however, I just was not enjoying...despite Jane Powell, who I adore. I found Russ Tamblyn to be somewhat irritating.

Next time Kiss Me Kate is on I will give it another try...sadly, I have taped over it already!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2004, 08:18:43 AM »

Good morning!

DR Panni - Don't you just love that first day where you wake up, and you're actually back to "normal"?!?!  I have a semi-chronic, very low-level sinus condition throughout the year - a.k.a. dust allergies.  Really, it's nothing major, and doesn't impede my daily performance, but when I have those days - and sometimes weeks(!) - where my head is clear and non-stuffy - it's amazing!  I also do that "double take" on that first day of normalcy because I think something is "wrong", when, in reality, everything is all "right".  I just get so used to having to deal with some nasal congestion, that that begins to feel "normal".

And on that note, I seem to have woke up today a bit stuffy and drippy.  Time for the Emergen-C!  I just love those fizzies!

As for Chinese food - The only thing I tend to cook is some sort of stir-fry.  Put some oil in a hot(!) pan, throw in some meat (beef, chicken, pork and/or shrimp - scallops if I'm feeling generous), add some veggies (at the very least onions and broccoli), then finish off with some sauce "stuff" - chilies, soy sauce, tamari, "rooster sauce", orange juice... whatever I may have in the cupboard and fridge.  Then serve with steamed white - sometimes brown - rice.

Now when I go out, there's not much I don't like - and I even venture over to the "traditional" side of the menus from time to time if I'm feeling adventurous (if the menu has a traditional side).  My old stand-by is Hunan Chicken.  It's usually a safe bet on any menu.  At various restaurants, I have a few favorite house specials - The Crispy Beef at Tony Cheng's (it's twice cooked, and flashed fried the second time to crisp it up, and the sauce is soooo good!); The Shrimp-Stuffed Bean Curd at Eat First (triangle wedges of tofu stuffed with ground shrimp and a small whole shrimp, then deep-fried until crisped, served with a spicy dipping sauce);  Eat First also does a variation of this where they add slices of Chinese Eggplant.  If a place makes fresh noodles, I will usually give those a try - chow-fun and chow-foon being my favorites.  And then there are the dim sum places...Oh, and I also like General Tso's Chicken and/or Beef, Orange Chicken, Cashew Chicken, Salt and Pepper Squid, Imperial Prawns (the type that are flash-fried so that the shell becomes edible), Home Style Bean Curd, Peking Duck... etc., etc., etc...

-Well, I guess I know what I'll be having for lunch today!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2004, 08:31:03 AM »

Another thought about Chinese food... I said in my previous post that eating it in a restaurant is the best. Well, take-out or delivered is also good. Yes, delivered rules. And lots of it.
BTW -- I don't like the trend these days in fortune cookies of spewing New Age homilies ("The man who gives of himself, gives of all mankind.") Hey, I just made up a pretty good New Ageism... Anyway, I want the real thing: "You will soon meet a tall dark stranger who will make you incredibly wealthy." That's a fortune.

Hey, I've always wanted that fortune too!  -And I'm sure other Hainsies and Kimlets would love to get it too... and have it come true!

Now, if you ever go to West Side Cottage (I or II) in New York - they have great "adult" fortune cookies if you "nod" to your waiter.  Lots of fun!  I'm sure there must be other places around the country where you can end your meal with a gasp and a laugh.

-My favorite non-raunchy one was: "That was not chicken you just ate."

Now the question is:  To eat or not to eat the cookie?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2004, 08:55:32 AM »

I’m out the door and headed for the airport in a few minutes, so very quickly..

Panni I’m pleased to hear you are feeling better.

Jose constant allergies are bad enough but sinus problems-you need to live in a warmer climate.

Jay-a very delayed ouch.  Hope your mouth heals quickly.

I like Chinese food, especially mixed vegetable dishes with tofu.

I buy fortune cookies at the market which are surprisingly very good.  They have the nicest fortunes.  If I’m feeling down I just have a cookie & read one of my happy sayings inside the cookie.

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2004, 08:58:52 AM »

Good luck on your trip Jane! We will miss you whilst you are gone. Be safe!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2004, 09:04:51 AM »

Thanks.  Bye.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2004, 09:11:45 AM »

Yes, a safe journey to Jane.  

My favorite Chinese restaurant was a place called Ting Ho on Highland just north of Hollywood Blvd.  I was introduced to it when I was shooting a TV program called Doctor's Hospital, and the star of the show, Mr. George Peppard, took us all out to lunch there.  I became hooked that day, and used to go quite often.  I had many parties there, I took out from there regularly and never had a bad meal.  My favorite dishes there were the Kung Pao Beef and the Kung Pao Chicken - they did the beef with peanuts and the chicken with cashews.  I have had both dishes many times since in many restaurants and they've never come anywhere near Ting Ho.  

Currently, my favorite dishes are Orange Chicken (if its done well), a good Wor Won Ton Soup always makes me happy, and I love a good black bean sauce with either chicken or beef.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2004, 09:14:10 AM »

The dancing is great, and Howard Keel and Tommy Rall in their tights, well, it just doesn't get much better than that.

Oh? How about:

der Brucer (who had to go all the to Australia for these pix)

« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 09:53:40 AM by DERBRUCER »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2004, 09:16:05 AM »

For the second event, I will take the wonderdog for a walk. then I shall go for a brisk walk on my own, while listening to my Walkman. That's TWO walks - two events. So far we've had four events and it's not even 7:30 AM. What a BUSY life!

Ah, Panni, you are so Bohemian!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2004, 09:20:12 AM »

This one's for Jay:

(Extract from LATimes):

Bummed Brooklynites Took Dodgers for Granted
By Michael Shapiro

January 29, 2004

When we hear the Dodgers are being sold, Brooklyn people like me dream of having them back. It never happens. The Dodgers left Brooklyn 47 years ago, and you would think that after all this time we have come to accept that they are gone. We have not.

Instead, we pine. We long for Brooklyn's good times, when the Dodgers played at tiny Ebbets Field and every single day for, oh, 50 years was sunny.

We can be a tedious lot; people wonder why we can't let go.

But lately I have been wondering whether I had missed something, that our endless rage at O'Malley and our more recent bitterness toward Moses blinded us to something even more painful: that it is our sin that cost us the Dodgers, that this unresolved hurt is, in fact, an act of divine or supernatural retribution for our collective responsibility for our arrogance, our blindness, our conceit. Did we lose our Dodgers because we did not sufficiently love them, and what they meant?

The conventional wisdom has it that by the mid-1950s Ebbets Field was empty and that Brooklyn was a changed place, and not for the better. This is not true. White people were moving to the suburbs; blacks and Latinos were moving in. But Brooklyn circa 1955 was still much as it was a decade before. This meant that perhaps 15,000 people came to Ebbets Field to see a game. Not a sellout in a ballpark that seated only 32,000, yet well above attendance averages at the time.

But O'Malley noted these numbers and then looked at the far larger crowds the Braves were drawing in Milwaukee and decided he could not compete without a new ballpark. "New" is the operative word here. In the post-Depression and postwar view of the good life, new was infinitely more alluring than old. Old was your parents' house. Old was your neighborhood. People wanted new.

So they left the row houses of Crown Heights and Park Slope and drove out along the Sunrise Highway (yes, there is a metaphor here) to split-level homes in towns with inviting names like Valley Stream and Oceanside.

They left behind friends and neighbors and relatives and the Dodgers, most of whom, it should be noted, still lived in the middle-class Brooklyn neighborhood of Bay Ridge, where boys rang their doorbells for autographs and the players' wives shopped locally.

People returned to visit their parents and maybe see the Dodgers, doing so in the belief that the team and their folks would somehow always be there. And if the new lives they had fashioned looked out on the backyard and not the street, that was OK. The street was always too loud and the neighbors too nosy. Then one day their parents got old, and the Dodgers were gone, and with the team went the last vestige of the old world that they had, in fact, abandoned. All O'Malley had done was to turn out the lights.

der Brucer (Still a Philadelphia Blue Jays fan)

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2004, 09:21:58 AM »

Mmmm...yes, Orange Chicken is another favorite!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2004, 09:23:04 AM »

MBarnum -- Is there anyway to read your interview from Classic Image if we don't currently subscribe to the magazine?  I would love to read it, and / or see a picture of Mr. Harrison.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2004, 09:26:05 AM »

der Brucer: Can you please edit your big picture post down to one photo - these take up too much space and really slow people down.  Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up