Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DELVING  (Read 20635 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:DELVING
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2004, 11:43:35 AM »

What kind of paper show?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2004, 11:46:47 AM »

Oh, and this is a DVD release week not for the meek or timid.  I glanced at about seventy new releases today, out of which I chose a few, including the new SE of Planet of the Apes and My Fair Lady, Mutiny on the Bounty, The Great Ziegfeld, Return to Oz (happiness - enhanced for widescreen TVs!), and a couple of others, including Mr. Hubert Cornfield's supremely surreal Pressure Point with Sidney Potier and Bobby Darin.  Even though MGM/UA continues to do these 1:66 movies non-enhanced which, to my mind, makes them reprehensible, I am happy to see that there is a full-length audio commentary from Mr. Cornfield, a truly unique director.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2004, 11:47:52 AM »

Talk to me not of deadlines!  I have yet another note session on Monday...a little diversion is demanded as the order of the day before once must toil in harness yet again.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2004, 11:51:05 AM »

I'm not sure...if it's just postcards and magazine clippings, I'll be making a quick exit.  But I often find these things have old magazines and ocassional books.  I saw it listed in Weekly.  It's the Elks Lodge on Colorado, I believe, right there where it begins, as you come off that first exit.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2004, 11:54:24 AM »

How about George C. Scott in "Patton" for a pantheon performance ... actually I'm not sure what you mean by "pantheon performance," but I gave it a shot.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 11:54:55 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2004, 11:55:08 AM »

Pantheon: Dirk Bogarde in "Death In Venice", Maggie Smith in "Travels With My Aunt". James Dean in "East Of Eden".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2004, 12:00:17 PM »

I have to leave now to go into work today to finish up some stuff then tonight I'm going to be ushering for a concert by jazz singer Dianne Reeves.  I've heard a couple of her CDs and she's very good.  It'll be a fun evening!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2004, 12:02:42 PM »

Also, I bought (with my income tax refund money--a pure impulse buy) a pair of binoculars with a digital camera attached!  The few test pictures that I've taken are totally blurry.  Hopefully I'll be able to steady my hand and maybe (shhh!  don't tell anyone) take pictures of Dianne during the concert.  If not, at least I finally have a great pair of binoculars.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2004, 12:09:20 PM »

What?  No one has yet mentioned Rosalind Russell as Auntie Mame!

Harrison Ford, in any of the Indiana Jones movies.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2004, 12:22:55 PM »

Add to the list:

Julie Andrews, The Sound of Music
Clark Gable, Gone With the Wind
F. Murray Abraham, Amadeus
Anthony Perkins, Psycho
Bert Lahr, The Wizard of Oz
Gene Wilder, Young Frankenstein...steen...

And I'd personally add
William Daniels, 1776
and Steve McQueen, The Great Escape (although others would probably say Bullitt)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2004, 12:24:14 PM »

FIFTY TO GO!!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2004, 12:46:46 PM »

Too late to ask Mr Brockman senior as to the whereabouts of young Craig who has not posted since January 1st. Has he emigrated?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 12:48:36 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

William E. Lurie

« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2004, 12:50:36 PM »

If you include Steve McQueen you have to mention Butterfly McQueen in all her films as well.

BK - Which "Return toOz" did you get?  The animated one with the voices of Liza, Merman et. al. or the live action Disney from the mid-80s?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Tomovoz

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2004, 12:53:26 PM »

Butterfly riding a motorbike. Great scene.
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2004, 12:55:15 PM »

DR Danise: If you happen to hit "post" before you are ready, you are still able to fix it, by modifying your post (use the modify button you will see for YOUR posts only).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2004, 01:02:34 PM »

DRTOMOVOZ thanks for the CD.  I tried to email you but it came back to me.....  

Anyway...I had that album when it first came out - even before I bought the soundtrack!  I wore it out playing it and playing it....and now I have it again.  THANKS!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2004, 01:07:43 PM »

Only one WRONG guess on the mystery photo!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2004, 01:10:43 PM »

JRand: I am impressed with International mail services this week. Was that only 5 or 6 days?
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2004, 01:17:20 PM »

I guess the actor was a child movie star JRand but I can't think of anyone old enough in TV today. But then we don't get every American TV show. Bill Bixby was my first thought or even Peter Boyle but I don't know enough about either.
James Thurber 1957

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2004, 01:20:36 PM »

To the Pantheon I would add Jack Lemmon in The Apartment, Judy Holliday in Born Yesterday, and Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot.

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2004, 01:21:00 PM »

Just remembered Jack. That Cd was posted on January 27 OZ time. Today is February 1st. Amazing.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2004, 01:25:55 PM »

Craig has been spoken to but he is simply to busy for the likes of the website that MADE him.  However, he still is helping out with getting the occasional Juliana's Journal up, and the Unseemly Interviews up.

I think the Liza Oz is Journey back to Oz, but maybe I'm wrong.  In any case, what I got is Disney's Return to Oz which was formerly available on Anchor Bay but not enhanced for widescreen TVs.  The film is a guilty pleasure of mine, and is worthwhile to get if just for the David Shire score, which is amazing.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2004, 01:26:47 PM »

TOMOVOZ-

Craig certainly is not in the Land of OZ..although you never know about Craig.

He's been very busy , I gather.

Since the beginning of the year? That is truly amazing.

I will speak to the lad and ask him to post haste!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2004, 01:36:05 PM »

Thanks BK & Arnold.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2004, 02:33:54 PM »

Almost an hour between posts: I have been busy listening to such delights as Sophia Loren singing "Bing Bang Bong". I have such an exciting Sundays.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2004, 02:35:47 PM »

Good afternoon!

I'm back home in Richmond, and about to head out to dinner... with a cocktail, beer, and/or a glass (or bottle) of wine... or two.

What a crazy weekend!?!?!?!?!

I'll post details later....

Oh, but as a teaser - I got my car started... But now it won't stop running - ?!?!?!?!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2004, 02:44:45 PM »

We don't like an hour between posts.  An hour between posts leads to bitch-slapping.  First off, with a mere twenty-five more posts we reach 24,000 posts.

td

• td
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2004, 02:47:19 PM »

I also like RETURN TO OZ and its score, but, there's also Piper Laurie who should be considered for the Acting Pantheon for her work in THE HUSTLER and CARRIE.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jed

« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2004, 02:49:56 PM »

THE MUSIC MAN... How unfair that it and WEST SIDE STORY had to compete against each other at the Tonys that year. Argh!

While I say how unfair that we can't get 2 shows of this quality in five or ten seasons now, let alone one!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2004, 03:00:29 PM »

td: Where is your evil twin lurking these days?
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up