Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIG SQUARE HOLE  (Read 29834 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE BIG SQUARE HOLE
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2008, 09:34:11 AM »

Must go tend to the dryer--and other Saturday chores.

(All those people who claim that "chores" is an antiquated word haven't been to my house!)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2008, 09:40:57 AM »

And, speaking of turn-ons, Frank Bruni writes about one of DR Jose's favorite turn-ons in his blog today.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2008, 09:43:04 AM »

Yesterday, Matt wrote:
No sir, I meant what I said. For example, I had never heard of Judah Benjamin, second to Jefferson Davis in the Confederacy hierarchy

I read long ago, that Lew Wallace, the Union general and novelist, used the name of the Confederate plitician Judah Benjamin as the basis for the name of his most famous ficitonal character - Judah Ben-Hur.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

singdaw

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2008, 09:56:01 AM »

Is anyone else reading the new John Barrowman autobiography?

Of course, the idea that anyone this young feels compelled to write their autobiography is a bit strange...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2008, 09:58:05 AM »

I read BEN-HUR when I was in high school (which I believe was the same year it was published).  Since during the time I was growing up, I hated to read books; I imagine that I obtained that bit of trivia from the Cliff Notes that I purchased for my book report.  I can think of no other reason that I would still even remember the name of Judah Benjamin.
“One thing’s universal,

singdaw

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2008, 09:59:43 AM »

I wonder if DR elmore3003 has time to look at the new Letters of Noel Coward:

It got a great write-up in The New York Times.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2008, 10:05:22 AM »

Of course, the idea that anyone this young feels compelled to write their autobiography is a bit strange...
Is it a kiss and tell?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2008, 10:05:39 AM »

Perhaps Mr. Barrowman is lobbying to take over the lead on Broadway when Miss LuPone leaves the show?
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2008, 10:10:56 AM »

It is time, alas, for me to get ready for work.

I have no idea what I'll be cooking for dinner tonight.  I just know it had better be simple and quick, because between din-din, Torchwood, and an early start time on Sunday there simply will not be enough hours in the day, no, not enough hours in the day at all.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2008, 10:15:57 AM »

I can't for the life of me remember why I know this, but there was a big photo spread on Hurry, Sundown in either The Saturday Evening Post or Look at the time of its release.  Since I collected SEPs in those days (I have them back into the 19th century), my gut is it was a SEP photo essay.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2008, 10:18:38 AM »

Hugo Montenegro is of course best known for his arrangement of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.  It was his version which charted in the U.S.  In fact, I remember how shocked I was when I got the OST of the film and the theme was different than the one I had been hearing on the radio.  I'll have to raid the memory cells, but I know Montenegro was discussed on an old listserve I belonged to dealing with arrangers and I want to say one of his children is very active in music right now, but I just can't remember.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2008, 10:23:44 AM »

Speaking of children of entertainers, here's last night's gig strange audience member report:  there was a very attractive woman sitting in front of me who was obviously doing some sort of sales presentation with the theater/restaurant owner.  As we were nearing the end of a set, I announced we'd be doing "Girl from Ipanema," and she turned to me and said, "Oh, that's from Junior's favorite album of his dad's."  I, of course, said, "Huh?"  And she said, "Frank Sinatra, Jr.--his favorite album of his father's is Jobim & Sinatra."  So of course I then asked her if she knew about Sinatra & Company, the second album of Sinatra doing Brasilian material (this time with Deodato arrangements) that never received a real U.S. release, or his never released single of Jobim's "Sabia."  Well, in the weird but true department, it turns out she's the Sinatra family's licensing guru and she presented me with a huge folder of images she licenses, and then during our break regaled me with some pretty funny stories of the Sinatra kids.  I asked her if she had heard the commentary track of "You Only Live Twice" where Nancy's singing is not exactly discussed in glowing terms by John Barry and the director (27 or 28 takes to get a finished product, IIRC).  It was all kind of surreal--Frank, Jr. has a DVD of his Carnegie Hall remembrance concert that he's having trouble finding a distributor for, and I told her she should pitch it to PBS as it seems like a perfect thing for one of their pledge weeks, so if it pops up there, you can blame me, not Jose.

JMK

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2008, 10:24:51 AM »

Oh, and she was wearing a full length mink coat and the biggest frigging diamond ring I have ever seen (and that includes Betsy's grandmother's several carat monster which resides in our safety deposit box).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2008, 10:26:23 AM »

Hugo Montenegro is of course best known for his arrangement of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.  It was his version which charted in the U.S.  In fact, I remember how shocked I was when I got the OST of the film and the theme was different than the one I had been hearing on the radio.  I'll have to raid the memory cells, but I know Montenegro was discussed on an old listserve I belonged to dealing with arrangers and I want to say one of his children is very active in music right now, but I just can't remember.

I believe you are thinking of Britney Montenegro.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 10:36:35 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2008, 10:33:34 AM »

...Or perhaps "Britney Montenegro"?

But that could just be her stage-spelling.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2008, 10:35:43 AM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm back from running my errands, and as well as from putting another load of laundry in the dryer.  Again, just so you know.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2008, 10:37:53 AM »

And speaking of Levain...

Oh, nevermind... :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2008, 10:38:38 AM »

I wonder if DR elmore3003 has time to look at the new Letters of Noel Coward:

It got a great write-up in The New York Times.

Well, I know he has a copy, so... ;)

(Alas, it might be sitting in a plastic bag right now.  :-\)
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2008, 10:39:27 AM »

We just got back to the hotel to drop off some stuff, after walking from 46th to 66th and over and back and forth between 7th and 9th, seaching for a necktie for Mr. Linton.

I underestimated how dressy a Bat Mitzvah would be, based on past experiences of events in NY and elsewhere, where I was very over-dressed. Weddings, film premieres, Broadway shows...I always thought people got dressed up for things more than they do.

Oy!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2008, 10:39:56 AM »

I wonder if he mentions his preferred method for cutting his birthday cakes?

:o
 ::)
 :-X
 ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2008, 10:42:54 AM »

I did speak to DR edisaurus earlier, as well as DR elmore, and, hopefully, we'll all be able to meet up tomorrow for breakfast/brunch.

-And I really do hope DR elmore's bedbug woes soon come to an end.  Or, at the very least, he's able to get a good night's sleep sometime soon.  Sleep is good.  Anyone have any spare Ambien? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2008, 10:43:19 AM »

I wonder if he mentions his preferred method for cutting his birthday cakes?

:o
 ::)
 :-X
 ;D

I have been wondering if he addresses his exhibitionistic tendencies and inability to stay clothed.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2008, 10:44:07 AM »

Greg couldn't beleive that neckties could cost 40 bucks. (This says a lot about how often he has bought ties!) I told him that I thought that was pretty reasonable, especially for NY, and when we went in Pink and Hugo Boss and he saw ties that were from $85 to over $100, he realized he may have been living in the past. But he couldn't find anything he liked, from $100 ties to $4 ties.

I sent him off on his own while I take a shower. I hope he finds something he likes.
DR Jose mentioned Daffy's, so maybe he'll give that a try!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2008, 10:45:23 AM »

I did speak to DR edisaurus earlier, as well as DR elmore, and, hopefully, we'll all be able to meet up tomorrow for breakfast/brunch.

If we figure out where we're going, might FJL/Skip like to join us?

Edisaurus

« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2008, 10:46:43 AM »

We had lunch at Le Pan Quotidien...best quiche I've ever had in my life---crust was made fresh. Yum!

Edisaurus

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2008, 10:47:11 AM »

DR Elmore, I love the new bed!

Edisaurus

« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2008, 10:48:03 AM »

And you can always feel free to vent, as well as taking a long weekend of R&R in Atlanta! We have a spare room. No bugs, just cats...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2008, 10:48:20 AM »

Toyland time is over for the day. I need either to find a site for the  historic Philadelphia Inquirer and other Philly newspapers online or to make another trek to the NYPL microfilm division.

For now, I will head for home, stopping to pick up various cleaning supplies, and I will clean off all possible surfaces that might be contaminated from yesterday's bomb.  I think I may put some of this morning's laundry into drawers and closet before I fall over this evening.

Back tomorrow!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 10:54:25 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2008, 10:48:53 AM »

We had lunch at Le Pan Quotidien...best quiche I've ever had in my life---crust was made fresh. Yum!

OH!  You found Le Pain Quotidien!  Guess that's one place you can cross off your list!  :)  *And Petrossian is basically across the street from there, isn't it?
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2008, 10:48:54 AM »

I think if I had gone through what DR Elmore has, I would be a basket case.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up