Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I CAN COOK, TOO  (Read 53527 times)

singdaw

Re:I CAN COOK, TOO
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2008, 10:02:56 AM »

I can just see you that way!

Thanks - I think!  :)

I cannot tell a lie.

It is actually E&T DR Cason.     ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2008, 10:04:57 AM »

TV Reminder:

Need I say it?      TORCHWOOD!!!
Oh, go ahead and say it.

[size=20]TORCHWOOD!!![/size]

(That's a Poodle!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2008, 10:05:10 AM »

And Happy Birthday to occasional DR Iris.
[/b][/size]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2008, 10:09:35 AM »

Kevin will be picking me up in less than an hour.
Oh, come on, BK, you're not so heavy that anyone being able to pick you up is remarkable.

Of course, if you squirm it might be more difficult to pick you up, but you're too much of a gentleman to squirm.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2008, 10:19:31 AM »

Thank you DR’s DakotaCelt, George, ArnoldMBrockman, Vixmom & elmore 3003.

DR elmore, the school that had the insight to recognize a great doctor in the making ;),  is The University of Illinois.

Jane

« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2008, 10:21:43 AM »

From Bruce:
I then went back to Nate 'n Al to have the pastrami sandwich that fellow Yelpers were raving about.  Well, it was hands down the best pastrami sandwich I've ever had - lean, hot, succulent and wonderful-tasting.  I had the New York, pastrami, cole slaw (on the sandwich) and Russian dressing.  Spectacular.  Had a side of kishka, and that, too, was brilliant.  And their pickles were the best ever.

I compare all new kosher pickles to theirs, and rarely do I find any as good.  When their coleslaw is on, it is by far the best.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2008, 10:25:41 AM »

Good Afternoon!

I've cleaned the kitchen, I've cleaned the bathroom, I will clean my bedroom ;-), and now it's time for me to get out of the apartment for a while.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2008, 10:43:24 AM »

Singdaw-- is that a picture of you?  I can just see you that way!

He (or someone) wisely removed the red dress first.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2008, 10:44:03 AM »

Re: Cooking

Whether or not people are cooking can not be judged by what is going on in restaurants.  That's part of the point of restaurants - to relieve the cook of the duties involved in cooking.

A far better gauge of whether or not people are cooking will be found in what they are buying at their local supermarkets.

Are they buying pre-prepared foods?  Stuff made by the deli department?  Weight-Watchers?  Healthy Choice?
Chey Boyardee?  Easy Mac?

That's not cooking, not by a long shot.  That's giving up on cooking, failing at eating correctly.

On the other hand, are their carts loaded with fresh fruits and vegetables, dairy, fresh cuts of meat and poultry and fish?  Instead of a boxed cake mix, have they included a bag of flour, another of sugar?

That's a person who cooks.  That's a person who is showing that she or he cares about the people she/he is feeding.

And, what about what they eat in restaurants?  This is a totally different question.  Are they eating things they don't eat at home?  Are they exploring their world?  Or are they sticking to the same-old same-old comfortable stuff, never varying from the common path?

For that matter, do you know where your food comes from, even when you are in a restaurant?  Does it come from a factory?  Or has the kitchen made the food themselves?  I would argue that much of California Pizza Kitchen's food (to name just one chain) has been pre-prepared, long before it gets to the restaurant's kitchen, all in the name of "a standardized product," which I would call conformity.

Give me a restaurant that makes it's own stocks on a regular basis.  

I'll accept out-sourcing the bread that is brought to the table - baking is a separate skill, one that takes a lot of time that many restaurants cannot spend - when that bread is at least created by a local perveyor.  But Subway, advertising that they bake their own bread - puh and leeze.  That stuff has been pre-formed in loaves and shipped to the stores, the actual making of the bread is not happening on site.  Hell, even our own bakery where I work gets par-baked bread from the LaBrea Bakery and then shipped to our store.  (I cannot express how disappointed I was when I learned that little detail.  Bleh.)

Maybe I'm being a little santimonious here - heck, I spent yesterday making chicken stock.  But paying attention to what we eat is important.  It makes a difference in our health, both physical and mental.  

I firmly believe that a meal that is created in the home is more likely to be enjoyed by a family (even a family of two) who are then more likely to enjoy conversing with each other, sharing ideas and memories and creating bonds, things I consider to be mentally healthy, than a meal that comes from a box.  I further believe that the better the restaurant, the more likely a group seated at a table at that restaurant will engage in those same behaviors than they would at some fast food jernt.

Food and society are linked.  And when we lose contact with our food, we weaken our social links.

(Bows politely, and gets off of soapbox.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2008, 10:45:11 AM »

Der Brucer wants to get on the computer.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2008, 10:53:09 AM »

It looks like a snow globe outside.  I'm happy to be toasty warm inside.  The wind as been blowing so we are appreciating every minute of electricity we have.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2008, 10:59:04 AM »

Re: Cooking

Whether or not people are cooking can not be judged by what is going on in restaurants.  That's part of the point of restaurants - to relieve the cook of the duties involved in cooking.

A far better gauge of whether or not people are cooking will be found in what they are buying at their local supermarkets.

Are they buying pre-prepared foods?  Stuff made by the deli department?  Weight-Watchers?  Healthy Choice?
Chey Boyardee?  Easy Mac?

That's not cooking, not by a long shot.  That's giving up on cooking, failing at eating correctly.

On the other hand, are their carts loaded with fresh fruits and vegetables, dairy, fresh cuts of meat and poultry and fish?  Instead of a boxed cake mix, have they included a bag of flour, another of sugar?

That's a person who cooks.  That's a person who is showing that she or he cares about the people she/he is feeding.

And, what about what they eat in restaurants?  This is a totally different question.  Are they eating things they don't eat at home?  Are they exploring their world?  Or are they sticking to the same-old same-old comfortable stuff, never varying from the common path?

For that matter, do you know where your food comes from, even when you are in a restaurant?  Does it come from a factory?  Or has the kitchen made the food themselves?  I would argue that much of California Pizza Kitchen's food (to name just one chain) has been pre-prepared, long before it gets to the restaurant's kitchen, all in the name of "a standardized product," which I would call conformity.

Give me a restaurant that makes it's own stocks on a regular basis.  

I'll accept out-sourcing the bread that is brought to the table - baking is a separate skill, one that takes a lot of time that many restaurants cannot spend - when that bread is at least created by a local perveyor.  But Subway, advertising that they bake their own bread - puh and leeze.  That stuff has been pre-formed in loaves and shipped to the stores, the actual making of the bread is not happening on site.  Hell, even our own bakery where I work gets par-baked bread from the LaBrea Bakery and then shipped to our store.  (I cannot express how disappointed I was when I learned that little detail.  Bleh.)

Maybe I'm being a little santimonious here - heck, I spent yesterday making chicken stock.  But paying attention to what we eat is important.  It makes a difference in our health, both physical and mental.  

I firmly believe that a meal that is created in the home is more likely to be enjoyed by a family (even a family of two) who are then more likely to enjoy conversing with each other, sharing ideas and memories and creating bonds, things I consider to be mentally healthy, than a meal that comes from a box.  I further believe that the better the restaurant, the more likely a group seated at a table at that restaurant will engage in those same behaviors than they would at some fast food jernt.

Food and society are linked.  And when we lose contact with our food, we weaken our social links.

(Bows politely, and gets off of soapbox.)

I agree with DR Woody's views and would like to see far more foods prepared from scratch, but I will make one little point of my own. A small deli near me used to make "homemade" rye bread. It made a great tuna sandwich! The deli changed owners--one of the former employees bought the place--and no more "homemade" rye bread. The new owner, Jack, used to tell everyone that the old rye bread wasn't "homemade" anyway--that it was mixed elsewhere and only baked on the premises. Now we get into the definition of "homemade." Whether you choose to call it "homemade" or not, I will say that it WAS fresher and better-tasting. Even though they now use the same supplier for the rye bread, it simply isn't as fresh--and it's noticeable.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2008, 10:59:49 AM »

Just don't ask what I'm having for lunch.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2008, 10:59:56 AM »

I've finally finished the essentials of the Lady of the Slipper history. I need a trek to the Library of congress to learn about the manuscript's acquisition by the Library, but the first draft is for all intents and purposes done!

So, I'm outa here now.  Back tomorrow.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2008, 11:01:33 AM »

Jeanne, I'm sure you haven't been the only customer to complain.  Too bad you lost the good bread.

td

• td
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2008, 11:18:04 AM »

I give you a standing ovation for your wonderful speech, DR S. Woody!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2008, 12:12:09 PM »

Saturday morning greetings!  This is my weekend off - 3 days without much on the calendar.  I'm waiting for a call from the hospital, where my aunt went yesterday for an outpatient procedure.  They kept her overnight because of some complications and, if she's released today, I'll transport her back to the retirement community.

While awaiting that call, I'm puttering around the house and catching up on email and snail mail.

I am seriously considering putting myself in the hospital, just to be in a nice sterile environment, and where the medical staff can change by bandages every couple of hours.  I am afraid to touch the kitties, i am afraid to touch my face or my mouth or any food stuffs.  

Yesterday afternoon, I found what may become two more outbreaks on the same arm.  They were in the form of boils, but so far that is all they are.  I will keep watching them.

This whole thing is so depressing for me. Thank goodness for my friends at HHW, who I can chat with online, and not worry about infecting!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2008, 12:13:18 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=10]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR BEN!!![/size][/move]
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2008, 12:14:47 PM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And, strangely enough, I want to look at cookware today - even though I just sold a bunch of stuff.  Well, I really just want to see the new digs of Broadway Panhandler.  They moved from SoHo to a few blocks below Union Square more than a year ago(!), and I just can't believe I haven't been to their new location yet.  -And my friend, Michael, will be joining me since he really does need stuff for his new kitchen/apartment.

Michael has a kitchen/ apartment?  Where does he sleep?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2008, 12:18:45 PM »

That reminds me of the first place I ever stayed in New York back in 1969.  Our advertising agency had a very small walk-up in Greenwich Village. It had the bathtub in the kitchen.  They had cork-tiled the whole place, giving an odor that never came out of my clothing.  Also, they had painted the upright piano in the place  with some cheap paint that came off on everything that touched it.  What an adventure!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2008, 12:24:51 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]AN ALL-THE-TIME HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OCCASIONAL DR IRIS!!![/move][/b]
“One thing’s universal,

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2008, 01:12:28 PM »

I am seriously considering putting myself in the hospital, just to be in a nice sterile environment...

Consider carefully - the hospitals are hot beds of MRSA infections.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2008, 01:13:53 PM »

Still going strong at 70!

Sally "Hot Lips" Kellerman:

der Brucer

Ben

« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2008, 01:17:18 PM »

Thanks to all you wonderful people out there in the dark for the loverly birthday greetings!

It's been a great day so far. I slept late (7:30, that's late for me). I've spoken to 2 of my four sisters and one brother sent an e-mail. Other friends have called and sent e-mails so it's a full day. And I have all my lovely dear friends from this here site. I'm very blessed to have reached my Speed Limit (55) birthday surrounded by such wonderful folk.

We will be having dinner with a friend tonight. I don't know what the cake situation will be. I will let you know tomorrow.

But I did rise and see my shadow today so I guess that means six more weeks of cake!!!

td

• td
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2008, 01:18:24 PM »

I am seriously considering putting myself in the hospital, just to be in a nice sterile environment,

This whole thing is so depressing for me. Thank goodness for my friends at HHW, who I can chat with online, and not worry about infecting!

I keep telling you - come on a my house, DR TCB; mum is a registered nurse, albeit handicapped now, and I am skillfully trained in wound care, administering injections as well as dressings, antibiotics and bedside manner.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2008, 01:22:19 PM »

POLITICAL WIRE

Quote of the Day
"If you've got a Hillary and McCain race, you've got a third option: That's the pistol on the bed table."

-- Pat Buchanan on MSNBC.

I sure hope it's loaded!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2008, 01:24:39 PM »

I'm very blessed to have reached my Speed Limit (55) birthday surrounded by such wonderful folk.

Put your Christmas cap back on- it takes off ten years!

Enjoy the day.

der Brucer

singdaw

« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2008, 01:26:32 PM »

Appreciated your thoughts, DR SWW.

singdaw

« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2008, 01:27:47 PM »

DR TCB - Gad!  That sounds really awful.  Wish we could do something to help.     **HUGS!!**

singdaw

« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2008, 01:28:37 PM »

Ben - Have a wonderful celebration tonight.  And do "Kimmel Hands" before you tuck into your cake!  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up