Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I CAN COOK, TOO  (Read 53492 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:I CAN COOK, TOO
« Reply #210 on: February 02, 2008, 07:29:06 PM »

I suppose I'd better get der Brucer fed.

On the table tonight: chuck steak, fries, wedges of iceberg lettuce w. dressing.

Dressing from a bottle.  Manufactured.  Fries from a bag.  So half of the meal is processed food, not really from scratch.

For that matter, I don't know where the cow came from.

The lettuce was farmed in the area around Salinas, CA.

This is what is referred to as a meal's "footprint".

At least I'll know who cooked the meat, and fried the fries, and poured the dressing on the wedge of lettuce.  So I'm not entirely disconnected with the food.  I'm at least making some contact with the ingredients.

I'm more comfortable with this than I would be popping a "Healthy Choice" microwave dinner (gotta love that name) into the nuker, with little if any awareness of what chemicals were used to preserve the meal, or what cooking processes were used prior to it being shoved into the plastic tray and frozen for thawing at a later date.

When I think of how many of the customers I meet on a daily basis, who are so totally disconnected from their food that they are unaware of what they are eating...

On the other hand, there was one customer today who admitted that she can't stand football, but was looking forward to making a hot crab dip, and some chili, and a few other dishes for the company that will be coming over tomorrow.  And another customer was buying avocados and other fresh veg, and was going to make guacamole for the very first time, and was proud and excited about that.

So there's good news at the same time that there is less good news.

At least no one is exactly starving.  I just wish there were more that knew how to set the banquet.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #211 on: February 02, 2008, 07:29:09 PM »

And td, have Judy Kaye give you a big kiss from me!  

Should I take a crate for her to stand on, or do you want her to take a flying leap at me?  ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2008, 07:38:10 PM »

Re Torchwood and Doctor Who: SPOILERS-ish.

Last season, Torchwood didn't have anything that ultimately tied everything together by the end of the thirteen episodes.

The three seasons of Doctor Who, on the other hand, have had threads that have run through each batch of thirteen.  There are things that have been learned, which show up again later.  Take, for instance, the first season of Doctor Who, where Rose went back in time and met her father in the story "Father's Day."  It seemed like a stand-alone episode.  But, suddenly, in the final episode of the season, "The Parting of the Ways," Rose told her mother of the events of the earlier episode, giving them as part of the reason for the decisions she was making, and convincing her mother to take action, as well.  That final story drew upon other the stories told through the season, as well, creating a final, satisfying story from the whole.

Torchwood has yet to create that kind of story arc.  The potential is there.  And hopefully what we saw tonight will be part of what is to come.

And that makes for good television writing.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2008, 07:38:53 PM »

Lordy, I'm taking everything too seriously today.  I've got to lighten up!

::)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #214 on: February 02, 2008, 07:40:40 PM »

I would love to see a re-make of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #215 on: February 02, 2008, 07:46:38 PM »

Lordy, I'm taking everything too seriously today.  I've got to lighten up!

::)

Ianto:  Just when I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse.    ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #216 on: February 02, 2008, 07:50:27 PM »

How about using the power of positive thinking to help you find a solution and a speedy recovery?

I am trying, but it isn't always easy.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #217 on: February 02, 2008, 07:55:53 PM »

T.O.D.

I would like to see a remake of INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE.  It was such a wonderful book, and it ended up being such an awful film.  Better yet, let me direct it.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #218 on: February 02, 2008, 08:03:47 PM »

BRIGADOON has a score that has seldom been matched by ANY musical. That's reason enough to adore it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #219 on: February 02, 2008, 08:06:56 PM »

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, your suggestions, your ideas, and your positive vibes.  There is that word again - positive.  I am trying to stay positive, but it ain't easy.  Good night!
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #220 on: February 02, 2008, 08:08:46 PM »

Happy Birthday DR BEN!!!!!!

Happy Belated Birthday to DR KERRY!!!

Happy Birthday to IRIS!!

Matt H.

« Reply #221 on: February 02, 2008, 08:09:17 PM »

I watched three episodes of SOUL FOOD. If I had recorded the other shows I watched and then watched them off the DVR and fast forwarded through commercials. I could probably have squeezed in another episode tonight, but three was plenty. (17 more of these things to go. Ugh)

None of the drama is exacly earthshaking. It's couples stuff: breaking up-making up. Some with secrets, some with children.

Faye Dunaway played the head of a law firm who hired back one of the stars after she had left the firm last season.

Suffice to say that Faye has had her upper teeth capped or veneered, but she's done nothing to her bottom teeth which look simply rotten. Sorry to be gross, but I couldn't stop looking at the contrast between her top and bottom teeth in every scene where she appeared.

Matt H.

« Reply #222 on: February 02, 2008, 08:10:18 PM »

I enjoyed GHOST WHISPERER tonight. I was right; I hadn't ever seen it before. Very moving episode with a little girl ghost who wasn't aware she had drowned.

Cillaliz

« Reply #223 on: February 02, 2008, 08:10:36 PM »

Here's a movie I'm really looking forward to. http://amazon.imdb.com/video/user/me707511751/

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #224 on: February 02, 2008, 08:10:43 PM »

DR TCB, whether you like it or not, a small congregation in Arizona will be praying for you.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2008, 08:10:54 PM »

And then tonight's TORCHWOOD was exciting and different. It really comes in handy that Jack can't die!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2008, 08:12:11 PM »

Ianto:  Just when I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse.    ;D
Oh, but it can, it can!

This Tuesday is both Super Tuesday and Fat Tuesday, at the same time!

Be afraid, be very afraid!

;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #227 on: February 02, 2008, 08:16:56 PM »

I would love to see a re-make of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
I would love to see the 1990 production shown by PBS, starring Sally Ann Howes, released on DVD.  Dang those clearance rights issues.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #228 on: February 02, 2008, 08:18:21 PM »

I am trying, but it isn't always easy.
You are in my prayers, TCB.

Cillaliz

« Reply #229 on: February 02, 2008, 08:21:20 PM »

I love to cook

Cillaliz

« Reply #230 on: February 02, 2008, 08:23:41 PM »

Today I went to There Will Be Blood and The Savages with a couple friends.   I didn't really like There Will Be Blood. The acting was fine etc, I just didn't really like the story. Guess I have to blame Sinclair Lewis for that.

The Savages was good. The topic of putting a father suffering from dementia in a nursing home isn't the top of the hitlist, but I really liked it and it was nice to see Debra Monk in another movie.  I adore Laura Linney and Philip Seymour Hoffman, so I knew I would like it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 08:25:15 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #231 on: February 02, 2008, 08:24:13 PM »

Oh, but it can, it can!

This Tuesday is both Super Tuesday and Fat Tuesday, at the same time!

Be afraid, be very afraid!

;D

Does that make it Super Fat Tuesday?

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #232 on: February 02, 2008, 08:24:54 PM »

How are the gals, Cillaliz? Still responding well to the tuna?

Cillaliz

« Reply #233 on: February 02, 2008, 08:28:12 PM »

How are the gals, Cillaliz? Still responding well to the tuna?

Yup. It's working. The litter box gets full much faster than I'm used to, but I'll adjust.

Boo hasn't wanted to eat much of anything lately. She isn't sick, it's just she doesn't want the tuna and doesn't want to eat her crunchies when I set them down. She's getting better about it. I can't leave them out or Callie will get them. But I have gotten her to eat everday and it's been a long time since she puked.  She's sleeping on my lap right now.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #234 on: February 02, 2008, 08:30:28 PM »

Around here, I just put the food down. You'd better not be picky if you are a feline, or you won't get anything.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #235 on: February 02, 2008, 08:30:59 PM »

It is supposed to rain tomorrow night. LOL.

Cillaliz

« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2008, 08:33:56 PM »

Around here, I just put the food down. You'd better not be picky if you are a feline, or you won't get anything.

Well, I live with 2 divas who have me trained quite well

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #237 on: February 02, 2008, 08:34:48 PM »

:)

Matt H.

« Reply #238 on: February 02, 2008, 08:36:40 PM »

Well, I think I'll be heading down to bed.

Good night!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #239 on: February 02, 2008, 08:41:43 PM »

I also notice, from the same reference (quite a handy book, by the way), that spirulina is "an excellent detoxifier" and full of minerals. I'm thinking of DR ELMORE here. Spirulina can be purchased in a powder and mixed with water or juice to make a "green drink" or can be taken in capsule form.

I have also read that...

A few years ago there was a show called "A day with" and it was with various actors or actresses in daytime nad it was hosted by Wally Kurth. He did a show with Matt Ashford where he talked about it and proceeded to drink some. He even encouraged Wally to drink some.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up