Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: I CAN COOK, TOO  (Read 53488 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:I CAN COOK, TOO
« Reply #240 on: February 02, 2008, 08:51:20 PM »

I am baking cookies. I plan to put them out after the service and hope to encourage folks to linger and chat.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #241 on: February 02, 2008, 09:06:48 PM »

And that is how cooking (or, in this case, baking) can help create/foster communities.

There is a lot more to food than just eating.   :D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #242 on: February 02, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »

I need to get some rest.  I'll be working during the Super Bowl, so I want to make sure I won't be falling asleep while I'm on the job.  It's going to be a very dull shift.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #243 on: February 02, 2008, 10:15:55 PM »

I am baking cookies. I plan to put them out after the service and hope to encourage folks to linger and chat.

are you making enough to share with us?  ;)
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

MBarnum

« Reply #244 on: February 02, 2008, 10:24:58 PM »

Dog Bosco and I are back from a day of babysitting little Taylor and Ben and I am now caught up HHW-wise.

No off to bed...but first many, many vibest to dear DR  TCB!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #245 on: February 02, 2008, 10:29:40 PM »

Ended up writing just over five pages, and knew I didn't like the last page, so I took a break and a drive and I think I've got a way to fix it so I like it better - the very end of the chapter worked really well - it's the page or so leading up to it that didn't really do it for me.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #246 on: February 02, 2008, 10:29:56 PM »

I then watched The Ritz, about which more later.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #247 on: February 02, 2008, 10:30:27 PM »

And in the next hour I may look at my pages and start fixing, or I'll just wait until I'm fresh tomorrow.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #248 on: February 02, 2008, 11:00:59 PM »

TV Reminder:

Need I say it?      TORCHWOOD!!!

I just watched today's episode!  It was very good. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #249 on: February 02, 2008, 11:02:23 PM »

Will we never get to page ten?

George

« Reply #250 on: February 02, 2008, 11:02:48 PM »

Saturday morning greetings!  This is my weekend off - 3 days without much on the calendar.  I'm waiting for a call from the hospital, where my aunt went yesterday for an outpatient procedure.  They kept her overnight because of some complications and, if she's released today, I'll transport her back to the retirement community.

While awaiting that call, I'm puttering around the house and catching up on email and snail mail.

~~~Quick Recovery Vibes for Ginny's Aunt!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #251 on: February 02, 2008, 11:03:24 PM »

Just fixed a few little things, but I'll save the major page till tomorrow.  I think I know exactly how to fix it now and it will be better.  And then, if all goes according to Hoyle, it's on to the last two chapters.  

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #252 on: February 02, 2008, 11:30:31 PM »

Whilst driving to a gig tonight I heard the most alarmingly brilliant piano version of Bobby Timmons' "Moanin'" and thought to myself "That has got to be Eldar," which it turned out it was.  I began looking for a convenient cliff to drive off since there is obviously little use for any other pianist on the planet.

However, upon arriving at my gig I was pleased to be introduced to Donny Osborne, who some of you jazz aficianados may know was Mel Torme's drummer for over 25 years.  Donny makes Portland his home when he's not touring.  Not only was he very nice, he actually stayed for the entire 3 hours of the gig and sat in on a tune and was very complimentary which gave me a little hope.  :)  It also turns out he's best friends with Octavio Bailly, who was Sergio Mendes' bassist for a long time, so he had some nice stories to share about my favorite Brasilian.

Then upon arriving home I had a kind of amazing synchronicity email from a Board member of a theater troupe that I'll be writing a revue for this summer.  He had gone to my website and it turns out he went to school with one of Frances Farmer's nephews, and later was the nephew's next door neighbor in NYC for many years, ultimately moving into the nephew's apartment when the nephew moved out.

So, cliff be damned, I say.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 11:32:02 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #253 on: February 02, 2008, 11:42:28 PM »

DR JMK - Well, who knows?  If you had found that cliff, maybe the EMT attending to you could have been the son of Frances Farmer's nephew who happened to grow up in Brazil!
Make Your Own Luck.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #254 on: February 02, 2008, 11:48:21 PM »

I love to cook & bake, but I hate the cleanup afterward.
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #255 on: February 02, 2008, 11:55:05 PM »

Been busy working on a collage & purging my computer of superfluous stuff.
And rehearsals start tomorrow for Mozart's Requiem, Ave Verum & Holst's arrangement of Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence. Yippee!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 11:55:32 PM by singingnymph »
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

George

« Reply #256 on: February 02, 2008, 11:56:02 PM »

Today, I ushered at The Washington Center for the Performing Arts for a fund-raiser and they had putt-putt golf!  I was there for a couple of hours and the people seemed to have a lot of fun.  With your $7 ticket, you also got a hot dog, bag o' chips and a drink.  We ushers got free food. :)

George

« Reply #257 on: February 03, 2008, 12:00:44 AM »

After putt-putt golf, I met my friend Margo at the movies and we saw "Michael Clayton" with George Clooney.  It was very good and I will admit (big surprise) that George Clooney is very nice to look, HOWEVER the very obvious eye-liner was just too obvious.  They didn't even try to make it look like anything other than eye-liner...and he's in practically the entire movie with many very, very close close-ups.  That was the only thing that I didn't like.  Otherwise, it was a very good movie. :)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 12:22:50 AM by George »

George

« Reply #258 on: February 03, 2008, 12:04:16 AM »

The problem with the movie was that instead of "Michael Clayton" starting after the previews, "27 Dresses" started!  At first people thought that it might be a preview, but it didn't take long for us (and it was a pretty full showing!) to figure out that the wrong movie was playing.  Very quickly, a couple of people went out to tell the management and someone came in and said that they'd start the movie in a few minutes.  It did start about 25 minutes late, but all was well until...

George

« Reply #259 on: February 03, 2008, 12:11:12 AM »

...the big scene at the end [POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!] where George Clooney confronts Tilda Swinton (I won't say any more than that), when all of a sudden, several ads or something like that were projected at the same time as the movie that we were watching!!  It only lasted about a couple of minutes, but it happened at the worst possible time. :P People grumbled until it stopped, and we watched the end of the movie.  

But then if that weren't enough, when the credits started, they only lasted about 30 seconds and then them movie stopped and the lights came on!  How Rude!  They start the wrong movie, then start the correct movie almost a half hour late, then they start some other stuff WHILE THE MOVIE IS STILL PLAYING and then they end it all to get us out quickly. :P

Well, a bunch of us went to the manager's office (just to the door, actually) and got free passes for another movie.  My friend Margo was actually able to snag TWO free passes. ;) All is well now.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 12:26:50 AM by George »

George

« Reply #260 on: February 03, 2008, 12:14:24 AM »

I would love to see the 1990 production shown by PBS, starring Sally Ann Howes, released on DVD.  Dang those clearance rights issues.

YES!!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up