Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOLLYWOOD COLLECTORS SHOW  (Read 102941 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:THE HOLLYWOOD COLLECTORS SHOW
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2008, 07:00:40 AM »

1040....don't remind me!!!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 07:05:58 AM »

We are going to use a new accountant this year. I have been going to the same one for over 20 years, but the past few years she has made mistakes that we have had to pay interest for and she still charged us for her labor to fix her mistake.

The past tax year she pawned us off on a new accountant who didn't speak English very well and the meeting took twice as long and was twice as expensive.

Now that we have moved, it would be inconvenient to try and use an accountant in Marietta, so it's a good time to change, and a good excuse so that we don't hurt her feelings.

I think we will try working with a friend who has a thriving home accounting business. Her husband us the artistic director of the Shakespeare Tavern, so she will be more familiar with the needs of freelancers and people in the arts than our previous accountant.

Too bad FJL is so far away...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2008, 07:06:22 AM »

Oh, I went and started page 2!

Edisaurus

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2008, 07:12:35 AM »

DR Jane, my CLOSER post didn't say much more than the fact that it will return in July. But I can add this: every year, creator James Duff chooses a theme for the season. Last season it was  "family". The squad as a family, Brenda's family, Brenda and Fritz, and the season finale, with the boy who lost his brother but was taken in by Brenda's parents.

This season, the theme is "power" and we will be seeing some power struggles between Brenda and Taylor, among other things.

Also, there may be a character who is no longer with the squad. That's all I'm sayin'... Although savvy TV viewers may be able to hazard a guess...

Edisaurus

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2008, 07:19:28 AM »

Yesterday we did a lot of research in the deed room in Marietta, preparing to protect the antebellum house next to ours from the latest fiasco the chinchy bassa developer has up his sleeve. It's a long and boring story that I won't go into. But I do have to mention one of the documents the city gave us. (We told them our plan and they were more than willing to help us achieve it.)

One of the documents was a letter from the developer's wife (he often deeds property over to her when it becomes "inconvenient" for him to have them) in which she said that she wanted to designate him as her "reprehensive".

Wow! That gave us the laugh of the year, and the whole staff found it hilarious. We all decided that after years of battling the bassa, we could finally agree on something!

The fact that you could tell that the bassa wrote it, because it is almost illiterate, makes it even funnier!

FJL

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2008, 07:20:43 AM »

Edi - She charged you for her labor to fix HER error?

Sounds outrageous.  Maybe her office billing person just charged the time on through without her knowing about it?  

Did you "protest" that it was her error?  Or did you just not want to make waves?

Edisaurus

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2008, 07:21:00 AM »

Hugs to Elmore!! Wish we were there to help you! I admit, I laughed at the "roof" quip.

You know, I'm sure that the loft has a beautiful view from the roof, 5 floors up.

5 floors...just enough...

Edisaurus

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2008, 07:26:30 AM »

Edi - She charged you for her labor to fix HER error?

Sounds outrageous.  Maybe her office billing person just charged the time on through without her knowing about it?  

Did you "protest" that it was her error?  Or did you just not want to make waves?

We did call her about it, but didn't protest too much, just wanted to giver her the chance to see if she would offer to fix it. Since she didn't, we thought maybe it was something we shouldn't expect. Anyway, it's a good time to change, since we've moved. I like her a lot, but she doesn't have any other clients in the "biz", so I think someone who understands it might be more helpful to us. We aren't good business people. We always pay our taxes on time, over pay them even, since we can't predict our work load, but I think there are probably things we don't know about that might save us some $$.

Edisaurus

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2008, 07:31:20 AM »

Another thing that happened last year was that the state income tax bureau made a mistake and thousands of people here had to hire accountants to deal with the error. Obviously not her fault, but i felt that the govermnet should have covered the cost of straightening that out, or at least let us take it off our taxes.

Greg sorted it out for us with the tax dept. so we didn't have to use the accountant, but it seemed really unfair to be that so many people had to pay for a mistake that they didn't make. (The new accountant said many of her clients had the same problem---you have to wonder sometimes if it really WAS a mistake!)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 07:31:52 AM by Edisaurus »

Edisaurus

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2008, 07:34:34 AM »

Feel better vibes to DR George!

Edisaurus

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2008, 07:35:22 AM »

Off to find breakfast/coffee! O, Pain Quotidien, wherefore art thou??

FJL

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2008, 07:45:28 AM »

Who's Got the Pain?  (a Damn Yankees reference, or a baked goods reference, take your pick)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2008, 07:56:43 AM »

Good morning!

A cool (but not cold) morning to what promises to be a gorgeous day for February. Highs should be near 60 again today. Really, this winter has been as mild as one could have asked for.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2008, 07:58:52 AM »

Hmmmm....not happy about any members of THE CLOSER squad not being there. I love them all and would miss anyone who wasn't around any more.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2008, 07:59:45 AM »

As I mentioned last night, I have an animated cartoon to watch today. It's called JAKERS! but other than that, I know nothing about it.

I'll be on more solid ground tomorrow with BEOWULF.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2008, 08:00:59 AM »

Another disappointment: NO MAIL ON MONDAY!

BOOOOoooooooooo!!!!!!!

Kerry

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2008, 08:05:18 AM »

Good Morning, Dear friends.  Be back later.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2008, 08:13:53 AM »

I just did some quick research of JAKERS! at Variety, and it seems to be a PBS children's animated series which has won both the Emmy and the Humanitas prize during its run. So, it should be interesting to watch, certainly different to the films I've been watching this week.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2008, 08:14:58 AM »

Sounds like you're really enjoying yourself in LA, DR MBarnum, and I'm so glad, especially since the person you wanted to interview had to cancel out on you. Sounds like the trip was still well worth your time and expense.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2008, 08:15:07 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm having a morning of leisure.  No one else in the apartment is up yet, and I've already had my breakfast (swiss cheese omelet and an English muffin), and, right now, I just "pulled" an espresso for my latte.  Quiet and caffeine - it's a good combination. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2008, 08:24:41 AM »

I'm up.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2008, 08:24:53 AM »

I have shaved.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2008, 08:25:19 AM »

Shortly I shall shower or, conversely, I shall shower shortly.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2008, 08:28:05 AM »

Oh yes DR MattH, the trip has been well worth it, absolutely! And today is another sunny day.

Soon I will get cleaned up and make myself presentable to the movie stars. Then I will scrounge for some breakfast. I am not going to eat at the hotel because I just do not want to spend $20 again for scrambled eggs (their prices are really high). I think there is a McDonald's across the street.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 08:28:48 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2008, 08:30:07 AM »

Before attending the show today I must run over to North Hollywood and pick up my photos at Eddie Brandt's Saturday Matinee..I may search for a few more stills while I am there.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2008, 08:31:48 AM »

Don't blame you a bit about that. When I go places on my own, I always eat either fast food or try to find the cheapest place possible. I might treat myself to one expensive meal out. If I'm with a group, I go along with group decisions about places to eat.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2008, 08:32:30 AM »

Now, I'm going to head downstairs and check the mail (the last for a few days), and then I'll start fixing some lunch.

WBBL.

FJL

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2008, 08:57:09 AM »

I have shaved - almost a King and I song reference

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2008, 08:59:45 AM »

Hugs to Elmore!! Wish we were there to help you! I admit, I laughed at the "roof" quip.

You know, I'm sure that the loft has a beautiful view from the roof, 5 floors up.

5 floors...just enough...

Hello, DR edisaurus! I wish you were here in NYC so that I could recommend my entertainment tax accountant to you and Greg.  He's wonderful.

Yes, I've arrived safely back from Toyland with a bag full of work and a nice visit with the Mighty Matthew.

I printed out 50 labels for these cartons so I can begin labeling everything  for shipping, and I'll try to get through another 16-20 cartons today.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2008, 09:04:53 AM »

I shall now be on my way to the Hollywood Collector's Show.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up