Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ADDITIONAL INFORMATION  (Read 47129 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2004, 08:10:19 AM »

I've got a picture from the 70's - but I don't want to be first!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2004, 08:11:01 AM »

I'll have to find them but I know I have some embarrasing pictures of me during my college years. I had a perm and a beard at one point (why, oh, why did I ever do that!!!). I'll try to find it. It may cause some spit takes, though so be warned.

Ben

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2004, 08:11:41 AM »

JRand, you started Page 2, why not go first. I will go home at lunch and see what I can find.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2004, 08:17:52 AM »

All right DRBen.  Prepare yourselves!  :o

Since I am home sickly today, I scanned this.  It is me, yes me, teaching a routine at the 1977 Indiana State Dance Convention.  It is my class of about 400 kids....and my friend Patty is assisting me.  We are demonstrating the art of the disco punch to "Enjoy Yourself" by the Jackson Five!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2004, 08:17:58 AM »

I have lots of favorite seventies tunes, but here are a few recorded by Sergio Mendes, during his "decade in pop obscurity":

Gone Forever (Paul Williams)
Love Music (Lambert & Potter)
Sunny Day (Michael Sembello)

Tomorrow, I will not be stuck in Tacoma, but will be close:  I will be doing some research at the State Archives in Olympia, Washington.  I hear they have the Ark of the Covenant up there somewhere on a shelf.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2004, 08:33:16 AM »

I know what you're looking for!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2004, 08:34:51 AM »

I've got a picture from the 70's - but I don't want to be first!

I hear echoes of "I'll show you mine, if you show me yours"!

der Brucer (who's shown enough already)

(Most of my pictures from the seventies are from whem I was in a Motorcycle Club)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2004, 08:54:57 AM »

DR MattH,

I too was thinking about the Broadway shows of the seventies. One other that I'd include is 70 Girls 70.

And here's another song fondly remembered from that decade:

"Who Can Turn The World On With Her Smile?"

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2004, 08:56:26 AM »

Yep, great choices, DR Dan.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2004, 09:00:59 AM »

I had an insight into the awfulness of auditions yesterday, at the Falcon Theater's Magic Flute call. Lots of people waiting in the lobby below, groups of three or four periodically sent upstairs to wait in the narrow hallway outside the main rehearsal hall, where fifteen or so actors waited ahead of us. Cramped space, recycled tension-and-fear-laced air. Suddenly, this old Trouper felt, quite inexplicably, my heart start pounding like Nazi's were chasing me.

Nota bene: this was an adaptation of Magic Flute, for an hour-long kids' show, at a very low pay rate. I san principal soprano roles in my seven seasons at New York City Opera, including THIS OPERA. I was well-prepared, and very much In Voice. And this heart-pounding, breathless thing was so unexpected and inexplicable.

(just btw - they were extremely nice to everyone)

I emerged from that audition feeling drained and shell-shocked, as if i had run two miles with bk. Only on my way home did I realize what had happened:
a famous scientific experiment puts rats in a cage and then shocks them repeatedly. They are removed from the cage. Other, calm rats from another, happier room get shoved into the BAD cage - and immediately freak out -- even WITHOUT the electricity. The very scent of the other rats' fear and panic sends them into Survival Mode.

I think maybe that's what happened to me -- and to the other folks, and then we passed it on. Worth a study. I do know a little about the benefits of aroma therapy... maybe we should bring our little plastic bags of lavender-scented cotton balls with us to auditions? Worth a try.

That is all!
PennyO

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2004, 09:12:02 AM »

... maybe we should bring our little plastic bags of lavender-scented cotton balls with us to auditions? Worth a try.

Why not, Alex Baldwin took his Schweaty Balls to his SNL audition.

der Brucer (suggesting the men do something a little more butch than "lavender" - Old Spice anyone?)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2004, 09:12:57 AM »

OK, here are two old school photos from my early years of teaching in the 1970s. The one on the left was taken after I had been teaching about two months.  The one on the right was taken five or six years later. I actually LOST weight as I got older! Boy, do I wish I had that problem now!   ::)

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2004, 09:15:21 AM »

Hey, DR derBrucer, I wouldn't mind seeing you in pics from your Motorcycle Club.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2004, 09:21:30 AM »

Now, Dear Readers, we cannot let the oeuvre of Miss Donna Summer go unmentioned in this collection of pantheonic music of the 1970s, can we?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2004, 09:23:04 AM »

Dear Reader PennyO:

What was the time frame of your seven years at NYCO?  I was quite a habitue of the place until I moved to sunny Southern California.  Perhaps I've heard you sing there.

Jay

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2004, 09:29:44 AM »

Our lives in the 1970s would have been considerably poorer, too, without the fine musical contributions of The Village People.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2004, 09:30:07 AM »

Nice pics MATTH.  I haven't mailed your packages yet MATT & TD....been away from work.  Hopefully tomorrow!

Another vote for the motorcycle pictures.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2004, 09:34:58 AM »

DR Jay, I mentioned "Last Dance" in my post, so I at least mentioned a song Donna Summer made famous even though I didn't call her by name. And those songs that the Bee Gees did for SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER shouldn't be forgotten either. I am not one to denegrate disco music. A lot of it may have been bubble gum pop stuff, but it was catchy and imminently danceable.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2004, 09:39:53 AM »

Pictures of ourselves from the 1970's...a scary thought, but I will if the other DR's will.   :o

Here is your Allison Hayes picture of the week - Gunslinger - wherein town sheriff Beverly Garland is getting the best of Allison in a saloon fight!  :P

Oops!  No Allison is on top now that I study the picture!  

Is this a picture from the famous lesbian love scene that was edited out of the Gunslinger until being restored for the Director's Cut?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2004, 09:41:06 AM »

Confidential to Dear Reader der Brucer:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]Vroom, vroom!!![/size][/move]

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2004, 09:43:49 AM »

Good morning.  Good song choices.  Of course, songs written in other eras and covered in the seventies do not count.  I was very fond of Donna Summer's On the Radio, too.  And let us not forget Mr. Randy Newman's seventies output, which features many classic songs.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2004, 09:44:16 AM »

Goodness!  I turned 1000 (posts, not pounds) without even noticing the change.  They say that, life begins at 1000!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2004, 09:47:16 AM »

Ben Kingsley and I agree!

When I filed a brief review of House of Sand and Fog here, I said it played like Shakespearean drama, and that the main characters would have been a perfect fit in the Bard's tragedies.

Here is Ben Kingsley on his role in HoSaF, in today's New York Times:

"I read Behrani as an archetype," he continued, "as a character in dramatic terms who would stand shoulder to shoulder with King Lear in terms of what he says to the audience, in suffering and failure."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2004, 09:47:42 AM »

LOL TCB.....I don't think so, but the subtext could always have escaped my notice.

Emily

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2004, 09:55:21 AM »

Am I the only person who thinks this has to be one of the scariest situations to be in?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/02/03/student.death.ap/index.html

They have LOCKED the students in their classrooms.  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jay

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2004, 09:57:11 AM »

From the review in today's New York Times of a 70th birthday celebration for Miss Marilyn Horne at Carnegie Hall:

"...Ms. Horne undercut some of the reverence by telling the story of how she and Ms. [Barbara] Cook first met to their mutual embarrassment at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting at Lenox Hill Hospital.

"The legendary divas then sang two duos, including the highlight of the afternoon: "The Grass Is Always Greener" from Kander and Ebb's "Woman of the Year."

Now that must have been fun!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2004, 10:15:09 AM »

Here's a bit of recording trivia most everyone won't remember (but then, I'm not "most everyone"):

Back in the early '70s, when the trio Peter, Paul and Mary broke up and went their separate ways, they each started off with solo albums with covers that sort of tied their new directions to their previous incarnation.  Mary came first, with an album called Mary.  Very simple cover, sunshine yellow with her name in pink, using the same font the team had used on all their earlier albums.  Peter came next, with Peter on the front of his cover, vanilla on chocolate, but using a non-shiny, textured paper.

Paul, of course, was third.  Royal blue background, red lettering.  Always the humorist of the trio, he called his album Paul and...

(It was the better of the three albums, in my opinion.  The following album he released made for a larger break from the past, as he started using his full name, Noel Paul Stookey.  But I'm pretty sure it was on his first album that he introduced "There is Love," aka "The Wedding Song".)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2004, 10:15:10 AM »

Emily that is just very, very sad. :(  I guess the police don't want to risk destroying evidence.   Though my first impulse is for the students to be home with their families, emotionally it might be more beneficial for them to stay together for now.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2004, 10:15:27 AM »

Penny---
Can you tell my why NYCO insists on doing MAGIC FLUTE in English while they do other operas in the language in which they were written ?  I know that when the current production was new it was sung in German (I have the tape from PBS) but when I went to see it last fall it was back to English.  Thanks.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2004, 10:18:24 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!  Wherever you are!

Ah, the 70s!  I still fondly remember my time next to my Radio Shack radio/cassette combo... And, yes, I would record my favorites - and near favorites - whenever I had the chance.  And I would call and bug the DJs to get the titles of the songs if I didn't know what they were.  Hmm... I guess that meant I was singing lyrics over the phone...  OH, and I always made sure to get the name of the groups or singers too!

-Of course, I can't remember the names of the singers right now...  In any case, here's a random list right off the top of my head:

"The Night Chicago Died"
"S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night"
"Jump Shout Boogie", "I Write the Songs", "Mandy"
"You Needed Me"
"Bonaparte's Retreat" - ???
"On the Radio" - My favorite Donna Summer song!
"Love Will Keep Us Together", "Muskrat Love", "Shop Around" - Have to have my Captain & Tennille!
"Kung Fu Fighting"
"Your Mama Don't Dance", "Whenever I Call You "Friend"", "House At Pooh Corner", "Danny's Song" - Good ole Loggins and/or Messina.
"Takin' It To the Streets", "China Grove", "Listen to the Music", "Black Water" - Hmmm.. I think I may have to put Best of the Doobie Brothers CD in this afternoon...
"With A Little Luck", "Listen To What The Man Said", "Live And Let Die", "Silly Love Songs", "Let 'Em In" -And, Yes, I do know Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings!
"Vincent", "American Pie"
"One Tin Soldier" - I think it technically came out in the late 60's, but I remember it from the 70's.  What an amazing song!
"You Light Up My Life"
"Take Me Home, Country Roads"
"Afternoon Delight" - Ah, the Starland Vocal Band - and I remember when Eskimo Nell's burned down.
"Knock On Wood" - The Disco version.
"Blinded By The Light" - Complete with that mystery lyric.

-Eclectic, huh?

-And, many, many, many more... :-)

Wow... This is bringing quite the trip down Memory Lane.  I remember religiously listening to Casey Kasem's Top 40 Countdown... Oh, and, of course, "The Donny & Marie Show", "The Sonny & Cher Show"... "Tony Orlando & Dawn"...

;D
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up