Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: BAFFLED  (Read 33183 times)

Cillaliz

Re:BAFFLED
« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2008, 06:23:52 PM »

Or switch channels to FoxNews.

:o

;)

The scary thing is, I've considered it!! :o

Ginny

« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »

DR Elmore - I was trying to tell DH Richard about your 43 cartons and could not remember what they contain and where at Miami it's going.

Do you know where they are now?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2008, 06:25:12 PM »

Lovely photos Laura!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2008, 06:28:27 PM »

Re: Traffic Patterns.

In three of the four local grocery stores, the basic traffic patterns circles counterclockwise.  Only at the local Safeway does the traffic pattern circle clockwise.

Safeway is the store that is having trouble attracting customers.  Most people attribute this to how the store looks dark, and claustrophobic.  I don't.  I attribute it to how the anti-clockwise patterns confuses people.  We're so used to looking at stores, turning our heads from left to right (following the pattern of how we read), that when faced with a store that demands we turn our heads from right to left is bothersome.

Making things worse is how, at the Safeway, the outside wall has absolutely nothing there for stretches of walking/circleing time.  It's like staring at a blank page.  Lots of possibilities, but that's not what I'm shopping for.

At all four stores, btw, the customer is invited to start their shopping in the produce section.  Frankly, I don't shop in that pattern.  I start with selecting my protein (meat), followed by the veg and starch.  But that's just me.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #274 on: February 26, 2008, 06:32:19 PM »

DR Elmore - in your letter, use that middle paragraph from DR Ron's post.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I agree.  Be nice, even though they weren't.  Let them know how hard you have worked to get rid of your problem.  If you hadn't worked so hard they might not even know about it.  

Your neighbors concerns are understandable, their attitudes & nastiness are not.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #275 on: February 26, 2008, 06:33:03 PM »

Dinner tonight (in defiance of what I just wrote, because the protein was in the freezer downstairs) -

Venison steaks
Baked taters
Leftover onion soup
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #276 on: February 26, 2008, 06:36:42 PM »

Quote from: brian  They recently added some rotaries here in the Ann Arbor area, which has some people freaked out, but I got practice driving in and out of Boston as a teenager...I
[quote

They didn't :o  I also drove those in the Boston area.  In rush hour you could get trapped in them ;D

Where in Boston are you from?  We lived in Acton for two years.  The rotary I drove the most was the one outside Concord, near the prison.  I think that was the location.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #277 on: February 26, 2008, 06:37:31 PM »

DR Elmore - I was trying to tell DH Richard about your 43 cartons and could not remember what they contain and where at Miami it's going.

Do you know where they are now?

Given the length of Pennsylvania, they're probably on a truck somewhere between here and Oxford.  Tomorrow I'll track them again.

The ephemera, books, scores, scripts, etc., ands eventally posters, photos, whatever, will be going into this special collection:
http://spec.lib.muohio.edu/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:37:48 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #278 on: February 26, 2008, 06:38:38 PM »

DR Jane - at $14.95, here is a slightly less expensive option for DS Bryan...

If only we had known, before a small fortune was spent on school applications. ;D

Jane

« Reply #279 on: February 26, 2008, 06:39:40 PM »

My new chair cushions arrived.  Quite lovely, I must say.

I love Fed Ex tracking.  42 of the 43 cartons are in Lewiston, PA at the moment.  It looks as if one got delayed but is now in transit to join the others.  

:D :)

Ginny

« Reply #280 on: February 26, 2008, 06:39:59 PM »

For our dinner tonight, DH Richard tried out a new recipe:

Citrus Chicken and Rice

It was yummilicious.

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #281 on: February 26, 2008, 06:41:20 PM »

Quote from: singdaw on Today at 10:51:31am
DR Jane - at $14.95, here is a slightly less expensive option for DS Bryan...

If only we had known, before a small fortune was spent on school applications. ;D
Just keep in mind, a set of chef's knives does not make someone into a great chef.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #282 on: February 26, 2008, 06:43:27 PM »

For our dinner tonight, DH Richard tried out a new recipe:

Citrus Chicken and Rice

It was yummilicious.

Sounds good.

It'll be even better next time, when he uses his own home-made stock!

:D

Jane

« Reply #283 on: February 26, 2008, 06:43:51 PM »

Big power failures occurring in South Florida this afternoon: eight power plants seem to be out.  Any word about DRs Danise and Michael Shayne?

What is wrong with me. ::)  I meant to check on Danise earlier.  It is too late to call her now.  I did send her an email to make a quick post if she has power.  

Ginny

« Reply #284 on: February 26, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »

Sounds good.

It'll be even better next time, when he uses his own home-made stock!

:D

LOL - not likely, DR SWW!

Ginny

« Reply #285 on: February 26, 2008, 06:48:25 PM »

The ephemera, books, scores, scripts, etc., ands eventally posters, photos, whatever, will be going into this special collection:

Ah, yes.  I've been to many programs in the Havighurst room.  Are they going to have a big unveiling reception for you?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #286 on: February 26, 2008, 06:48:59 PM »

Here I am, live at the Chance Theater.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #287 on: February 26, 2008, 06:49:35 PM »

I left ten minutes earlier than yesterday and the drive, unbelievably, took a half-hour longer.

Jane

« Reply #288 on: February 26, 2008, 06:49:54 PM »

Tomorrow at 8 AM JJ will be delivered to the local Pet Supply Store where he will meet up with an agent from "Just Us Animal Rescue" who will transport him to a shelter in Maryland where he will be fixed and then paraded to various suburban Petsmart stores for adoption. They assured me that if they can not place him a a good home, he will be returned to us.

:'(  Vibes to JJ.  I hope there will be happy news very quickly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #289 on: February 26, 2008, 06:49:57 PM »

Supposedly, there are some really good folks coming tonight.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #290 on: February 26, 2008, 06:50:28 PM »

Aw, but Ginny!

No, more seriously, I don't care for Swanson's any more.  The stuff tastes like it comes from a tin can, even when it's from the box.

There are better brands out there.  My personal favorite is Kitchen Basics.  It's pricey, but worth it when it comes to the flavor.  And Kitchen Basics doesn't have all the additives I regularly find in the other brands.  Not to mention it's salt content isn't as high.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #291 on: February 26, 2008, 06:51:33 PM »

Supposedly, there are some really good folks coming tonight.
I hope some of them will be auditioning!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #292 on: February 26, 2008, 06:52:20 PM »

Re: Traffic Patterns.

In three of the four local grocery stores, the basic traffic patterns circles counterclockwise.  Only at the local Safeway does the traffic pattern circle clockwise.

Safeway is the store that is having trouble attracting customers.  Most people attribute this to how the store looks dark, and claustrophobic.  I don't.  I attribute it to how the anti-clockwise patterns confuses people.  We're so used to looking at stores, turning our heads from left to right (following the pattern of how we read), that when faced with a store that demands we turn our heads from right to left is bothersome.

Making things worse is how, at the Safeway, the outside wall has absolutely nothing there for stretches of walking/circleing time.  It's like staring at a blank page.  Lots of possibilities, but that's not what I'm shopping for.

At all four stores, btw, the customer is invited to start their shopping in the produce section.  Frankly, I don't shop in that pattern.  I start with selecting my protein (meat), followed by the veg and starch.  But that's just me.

I've noticed that not all stores as part of the same chain arrange their stores the same way.  There are three Harris Teeter stores in Arlington, and each one is set up differently - although I think that has to do where the bakery and freezers ended up getting set up.  I've noticed the same thing with Safeways, Giants, etc.  Even my beloved Ukrop's has different set-up for their stores.  -Although, I sort of discovered that Ukrop's design their stores around the placement of their in-store cafes and grills.  Do I find it confusing? No, because...

As for my own personal shopping pattern, I always start with any canned and boxed goods, basically nothing that needs refrigeration or freezer-ation.  Then I make a quick round of the more perishable items before heading to the check out registers.  Gotta keep the cold stuff cold.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #293 on: February 26, 2008, 06:52:45 PM »

There are better brands out there.  My personal favorite is Kitchen Basics.  It's pricey, but worth it when it comes to the flavor.  And Kitchen Basics doesn't have all the additives I regularly find in the other brands.  Not to mention it's salt content isn't as high.

Now, that might be a possibility.

Jane

« Reply #294 on: February 26, 2008, 06:54:24 PM »

OH... And back to Oscar Night... Well, after the Oscar Ceremony...

Did anyone else catch the new video that Jimmy Kimmel and Ben Affleck put together with all those guest stars (Harrison Ford and Josh Groban among others)?  Truly one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.  -Yes, it's a bit creepy and crude at times, but, still, I was most definitely laughing out loud.  I shall refrain from posting a link here, but I'm sure it could be found by entering the appropriate search engine terms.  ;D

Yes ;D  First you should watch the clip with Matt Damon & Jimmy Kimmel's girlfriend.  The Kimmel/Affleck video was sweet revenge ;D

Ginny

« Reply #295 on: February 26, 2008, 06:55:19 PM »

A high school classmate of mine is a library honcho at Cleveland State University.  I wonder if he's in the audience at this debate?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #296 on: February 26, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »

OH!  And NYC grocery stores...  OY!

However, I think I'm in love with the "cold room" at the big Fairway up near my 'hood.  Instead of refrigerator cases, they literally have one big cold room: dairy, meats, etc.  In the summer, they even hand out coats when you go in! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #297 on: February 26, 2008, 06:58:18 PM »

We're having an onslaught of horrific weather here!  Rain.  Freezing rain.  Sleet.  Snow flurries.  Snow showers.  Snow accumulation.  Accidents.  Traffic back-ups.  More snow.  More snow to come overnight.

On the brighter side, I received a commendation from Borders corporate for my "outstanding work in January;"  I got a nice certificate, letter, gift card (money to spend at Borders) AND, in the near future, LUNCH with our store's general manager!

Safe traveling vibes to you and DS Craig.

Congrats on the commendation & perks that go with it!

Jane

« Reply #298 on: February 26, 2008, 07:01:40 PM »

Very nice!

Ginny

« Reply #299 on: February 26, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »

A high school classmate of mine is a library honcho at Cleveland State University.  I wonder if he's in the audience at this debate?

Oops, just Googled and found out that he retired last summer!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up