Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FLICKERING FLAMES  (Read 25013 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE FLICKERING FLAMES
« Reply #180 on: February 04, 2004, 08:51:01 PM »

That IS a big eye.

My goodness, we MUST be becoming the most popular site on all the Internet if we are being mentioned at such sites.  I would advise that our young readers or more sensitive readers might not want to visit, but that is just a parental advisement.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #181 on: February 04, 2004, 08:53:36 PM »

Just a test post....
...Walk in the sunshine...

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #182 on: February 04, 2004, 08:58:51 PM »

I look like I have a black eye...weird!

So you finally have a picture of me...well...part of me, anyway :)!

Oh, how I wish I had brown eyes...
...Walk in the sunshine...

td

• td
« Reply #183 on: February 04, 2004, 09:01:04 PM »

That IS a big eye.

My goodness, we MUST be becoming the most popular site on all the Internet if we are being mentioned at such sites.  I would advise that our young readers or more sensitive readers might not want to visit, but that is just a parental advisement.

AND I HELPED (with the big eye, that is).

I, of course, would never allow my mouse to click onto such a site as that one!  (But did you see the guy on page _   _  _  YUMMILISCIOUS!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #184 on: February 04, 2004, 09:08:38 PM »

So whose mouse did you use td?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2004, 09:10:25 PM »

So whose mouse did you use td?

Now, Tommy-boy, you know I NEVER kiss and tell.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #186 on: February 04, 2004, 09:16:01 PM »

In no professional audition* is anyone asked to sing a capella.  My advice to anyone being asked to do this is: run! - you're not dealing with an upstanding company.

The ability to sing a capella is a specialized skill.  There are many people who sing wonderfully who can't sing without accompaniment at all.  There are also some who have the ability to sing a capella but can't sing with accompaniment.

Since the part being cast will always be singing with accompaniment, and a capella audition shows nothing.

* There's an exception.  Sometimes, a straight play will require a small amount of a capella singing, and you might find a reputable director asking for this in an audition.

The musical Rent had people lining up around blocks out doors to "audition" a capella in front of underlings, assistants-to-assistants to casting people.  As far as I know, nobody ever got cast this way.  This wasn't a reputable audition, but something else entirely: It was a publicity stunt.

So, contestants on the "reality" game show American Idol were asked to sing a capella?  Well, this proves that the show is completely about embarrassing normal people who have dreams of stardom.  In the real world, singers aren't asked to sing a capella.  In the wholly unreal realm of "reality" TV - however... Well, this is a genre that trades on humiliation.

And I mean no criticism of those who enjoy the show.   To each his own.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Tomovoz

« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2004, 09:18:35 PM »

Now, Tommy-boy, you know I NEVER kiss and tell.
Do you tell all if you have refrained from kissing?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2004, 09:28:44 PM »

Wow...thats a really big eye.
The Better to See You With, My Dear!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2004, 09:39:51 PM »

DR Noel - Actually, I have two very dear friends who got cast in Rent from singing a capella during the initial phase.  -Of course, there were about six or seven stages after that, and they were all accompanied.  It wasn't a publicity stunt at all.  They made a very concerted effort to find unknowns early on... and they also knew that most of the "unknowns" would not have a "book" to bring into an audition pianist.  And even now, they still stress no "traditional Broadway music"...  Of course, now, they hardly ever have an open call anymore... And since it's AEA members auditioning, I'm not sure if they are truly "unknown" any longer. ;-)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2004, 09:41:18 PM »

I should think that even the most innocent, cornfed ngenue might know EXACTLY what SilverDaddies.com is a site for, Dan.  

All kidding aside, Someone I met there told me about this site. Sorry if this offends. But, you asked.
I think it's wonderful that there is a site for needy older gentlemen who, having been generous in their younger years, are now impoverished to the point that they cannot afford accoutriments!  Particularly in this harsh winter, when their lack of...

Huh?   :o   Der Brucer is telling me this is simply a bunch of old gents just showing off.  Will wonders never cease!   ::)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 09:43:17 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #191 on: February 04, 2004, 09:50:38 PM »

I notice that td is back. He must have his mouse back under control.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #192 on: February 04, 2004, 09:53:07 PM »

And I think Mr Barlalot is with us too. You have been missed Mark. Hope your New Year is going well. So what song is going to win the Oscar - at least now the field has been narrowed.
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2004, 10:01:12 PM »

Jane, if I knew how to post pictures here, I could show you the library.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #194 on: February 04, 2004, 10:08:41 PM »

I'm signing off - eyes tired. 'Night, all

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: February 04, 2004, 10:18:07 PM »

Pogue, if you call me I'll tell you how to post pix.  It's REALLY simple.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #196 on: February 04, 2004, 10:37:06 PM »

And I'm afraid I must say, "Goodnight" now too...

See you in the morning!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #197 on: February 04, 2004, 11:32:08 PM »

Before I left work tonight, a friend called me asking if I wanted to see a local production of Songs for a New World.  I actually have a ticket to see it next week, but I love the CD.  Anyway, she had a ticket and her daughter (her 7 year old daughter) didn't want to go.  I actually sat in a seat and wasn't ushering!  Isn't that exciting?  Isn't that too too?

Anyway, I had seen these performers in other shows and knew that they would all be very good...and they were.  Wow, can they sing!  The only negative was that the sound was up too loud.  It must be an Olympia thing.  But I didn't know that the original cast CD had practically the whole show on it.  That's cool.

The theater group is getting ready to decide what to do next season.  I suggested either Brownstone or The Spitfire Grill, mainly because the CDs are new to me and I've been listening to them a lot...and they're both small shows.  The theater holds only about 120 people.  No one that I talked to knew either show.  Soon they will. ;)  I saw a production of The Spitfire Grill in Seattle last year and it was a wonderful show.

That was my night.  Now I must go to bed.  Goodnight all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up