Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: IT TOOK MORE THAN ONE MAN TO CHANGE MY NAME TO SHANGHAI LILY  (Read 25738 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:IT TOOK MORE THAN ONE MAN TO CHANGE MY NAME TO SHANGHAI LILY
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2008, 08:20:46 AM »

Just as my roommate, Jim, and I were heading into the subway stop at 50th and 8th Ave., a vaguely familiar man came up to me and asked, "Excuse me... Do you have children?"  -Umm.. No, I don't....
What, you didn't tell him that you prefer to have their daddies?

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2008, 08:23:38 AM »

Hi all!   I’ve been on antibiotics the entire week.  Man, do those things do a number on me.  I get so tired on them.

I’m so sorry to hear that  Edi's Greg! Has kidney stones.  I just had my yearly KUB yesterday to see if I have any.   I can never tell that I have them—no pain at all.  

I also saw the sleep doctor.  I thought I was doing really well with what ever it was that I had last week until he asked me if I was on any kind of antibiotic.  When I told him I was he said that was a good thing because my throat is red and if I wasn’t on them , he would have put me on some.  

I didn’t even know my throat had anything to do with having an allergic reaction but there you are.  I just know that I have been very tired this week.  

I was going to work outside but I guess I need to take it easy this weekend and get all the way well before I do anything.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2008, 08:24:14 AM »

Two other Dietrich favorites: Maximillian Schell's documentary MARLENE is mesmerizing. Love the way it was put together.

AMC also did a special on her at least a decade or more ago with her daughter and grandson providing commentary and clips (Sean Young began as narrator but thankfully faded from view after the introductions.) It was called something like "A Study in Shadows." That's not exactly right, but the actual title escapes me at the moment.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Danise

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2008, 08:25:33 AM »

I've got a lovely beef roast in the slow cooker.  I haven't been eating very well and thought I could use a good meal.  I'm looking forward to the roast and some lovely home made mashed taters.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2008, 08:25:38 AM »

Unless I get something to review in the mail today, I may put in a Marlene movie today to watch. I also want to get to one of my Blu-rays or HD-DVDs to try to get those stacks down to a more reasonable level.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2008, 08:26:36 AM »

TV Reminder!!!

[size=10]TORCHWOOD!!![/size][/glow]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2008, 08:28:54 AM »

It's from too few work hours to a surfeit.  My shift for today has already been extended by two hours.  And next week I'm scheduled to work forty-one!  (But, since five of those hours are on Sunday, which does not count as part of the regular work week, the forty-first hour doesn't count as overtime.)

Speaking of which, it's already time for me to go.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2008, 08:30:10 AM »

TV Reminder!!!

[size=10]TORCHWOOD!!![/size][/glow]
Well, of course!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2008, 08:31:25 AM »

Good morning, fellow Dear Readers. Busy day today. Board meeting, bridal shower, and then Oprah Winfrey Presents The Color Purple this afternoon.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Danise

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2008, 08:32:27 AM »

Did I tell you all that I switched the dogs food to a brand called "Bil-Jac".  No more store brands for them.  I can't really afford to buy bags of food and can food to with it so I decided that I would buy one food but a good one.

Much to my suprise, they LOVE it!  And I've noticed a huge difference in the pair of them.  Not just their coats but Bear is not having half as hard a time getting up and down like he was.  

I get the Large Breed version of it and it has lots of Glucosamine in it for the large dogs.  It does look funny--like rabbit food.  But hey, if it works...

My thought has always been that it doesn't matter how much the food costs, a dollor or fifty dollars, if the dog won't eat it then what good is it?

Last night, when I was at the pet store, they had something else new call Whole Meals.  It looks something like a bone but is equal to giving them two cans of food.  I bought a sample pack and both Bear and Sheena loved it.

Not sure if I can keep getting it, I like the Bil-Jac better but if nothng else, it will make a good treat.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2008, 08:37:15 AM »

In other news it looks like I will be a Great, Great Aunt again!

Baby Jonathan will be born, Thursday, April 17. Missy  is scheduled for c-section at 7:30am.  Hailey is my other Great, Great Niece.

This is my Niece, Maries, daughter, Missy who is having the baby, not Debi.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2008, 08:39:58 AM »

I'm still upset that I missed my chance to spend the weekend with Debi last weekend because I got sick.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Cillaliz

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2008, 08:45:31 AM »

Thanks for the vibes! Mom is feeling better today. She asked me to print off the rhyme from DR JRand for her so she can put it in her scrap book.

Danise

« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2008, 08:47:49 AM »

One last bit of new news.  I bought a new cell phone.  Same phone number, just an upgrade.  It's a Virgin Cyclops.  I like clamshell phones because I've heard so many stories about someone having their phone turn on in their purse.

This isn't the most fancy phone but I don't look for that.  I just want it to ring and be able to answer it.

It does have a camera, mobile im, mobile email, pix messaging, web browsing, txt messaging, etc.  I'll still put "Tubular  Bells" on it as my ring tone.  I think it's a good joke.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 08:56:49 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Cillaliz

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2008, 08:47:58 AM »

We are going to the craft fair at the mall today then down to Tubac and some restaurant that has a giant chicken outside or something like that.  I have taken many photos and will post some when I get back to high speed internet. Maybe while waiting in DIA tomorrow. The high-speed is free at the airport

Cillaliz

« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2008, 08:49:17 AM »

Vibes to all who need them.

DR Edi- I'm glad you posted. I was really concerned about you and Greg after seeing the TV reports of the tornados.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2008, 08:50:34 AM »

"I've been looking high,
 I've been looking low.
 Looking for my Shanghai Lil"

James Cagney (with a little help from Al Dubin) - FOOTLIGHT PARADE
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Cillaliz

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2008, 08:51:07 AM »

Edi- In case you didn't go back and catch up (I know I am way behind) I'm actually in Green Valley, Arizona, staying with my parents at the place they rented for the month of March. It's a nice 2 bedroom condo. Nothing real fancy but nice in the retirement community kind of way. It's in an area called Desert Hills.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2008, 08:54:06 AM »

Heading down now to check the mail and then think about something for lunch.

WBBL.

Cillaliz

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2008, 08:54:20 AM »

We went to Nogales yesterday, where the infamous hole in the sidewalk was located.  We did find the brother of one of my clients. They gave us very good directions to his restaurant. My parents and their friend Helen were a bit leary about going to a restaurant in Nogales, but it was a really cute cafe in El Triangulo.  Armando made us wonderful tacos with avacado on them.   We aslo ate at La Roca and had a big meal there - garlic shrimp, rice, margaritas.  I think I wrote about this yesterday.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun. One more day and then my suitcase and I will head home. Hopefully on the same planes this time

Danise

« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2008, 08:55:44 AM »

Vibes to your Mom, Cill!  I had to go back and find the post about it.  

And I thought you had to watch out for the water in Mexico !   :-X  ;)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Cillaliz

« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2008, 08:55:50 AM »

I'm really gald we found Armando. He was so glad to hear news from his family in Sioux City and he was so hospitible and his cafe was clean and the food wonderful.

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2008, 08:58:13 AM »

DR Cillaliz - Glad to hear that your mom is feeling OK today.  

I'm enjoying your AZ travelogue - I kind of miss our vacations out there since my mom moved back here (don't get me wrong, I like having her close by...).  Tubac was one of her favorite places, but we never managed to get there.  She lived in Phoenix and we'd take her on a little trip away whenever we visited her.  Tucson was one of our favorites - Old Tucson Studios was DS Rob's first experience at a theme park .
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2008, 08:58:29 AM »

I did have fun speaking Spanish. My clients and assistant keep telling me that I'm the only one who doesn't believe I'm fluent in Spanish. After yesterday, I believe them now. I can't find all the words, but I did really well. My dad couldn't believe it. Oh ye of little faith.:)

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2008, 08:59:54 AM »

Hi, DR Danise!  Nice to be here at the same time you are.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2008, 09:01:42 AM »

DR Cillaliz - Glad to hear that your mom is feeling OK today.  

I'm enjoying your AZ travelogue - I kind of miss our vacations out there since my mom moved back here (don't get me wrong, I like having her close by...).  Tubac was one of her favorite places, but we never managed to get there.  She lived in Phoenix and we'd take her on a little trip away whenever we visited her.  Tucson was one of our favorites - Old Tucson Studios was DS Rob's first experience at a theme park .

My dad and I went to Old Tucson years ago. There was a fire there at one time, but mom thinks they may have rebuilt it.  I lived in Phoenix for 5 1/2 years, but never got south of Tucson, so this has been fun. I never pictured Nogales to be mountainous or at least very hilly, so my preconceived ideas were quickly thrown out the window.  

There is a definite fence lining the border.  We were just waived through at the border and at the check point on the interstate. Of course we didn't drive into Mexico, we parked and walked across the border, so I'm sure that's a lot easier than taking a vehicle through

Danise

« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2008, 09:02:55 AM »

Hi, DR Danise!  Nice to be here at the same time you are.

Hi Ginny,

It's good to be here with you too.  I am going to start posting again.  I've missed you all.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2008, 09:04:08 AM »

Mom just gave me the 15 minute warning for going to the craft show.  I'm lucky, if I buy anything they can take it back in the van when they go back to Iowa and since they are stopping at my house for the night. So far I bought a ceramic cat that was chipped when mom fell - I was carrying her huge ceramic fish, so she carried my cat.  I think it may have broken her fall and a little yellow paint and it will look as good as new

Cillaliz

« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2008, 09:04:41 AM »

Hi Danise!  Good to see you, would love to chat but I've been told to get my shoes on, lol

Danise

« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2008, 09:05:09 AM »

I only passed high school Spanish on the condition that would never take another language as long as I live.   I just wasn't very good at it.  At all.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up