Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE I WANTED TO START WRITING THESE HERE NOTES AN HOUR AGO SYNDROME  (Read 19990 times)

FJL

Re:THE I WANTED TO START WRITING THESE HERE NOTES AN HOUR AGO SYNDROME
« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2008, 09:35:57 PM »

Interesting info, MattH, about LAST STARFIGHTER in HD.   We haven't gotten it yet.

FJL

« Reply #211 on: March 30, 2008, 09:37:01 PM »

The HD-DVD version, that is.

Cillaliz

« Reply #212 on: March 30, 2008, 09:39:04 PM »

Hmm... Well, the four I'd pick from would be:

In the Heights
Gypsy
Passing Strange
Sunday in the Park with George

Although, if you can snag a ticket to the Patrick Stewart Macbeth....

I've been thinking about In The Heights and Gypsy.   What's Passing Strange about?

Cillaliz

« Reply #213 on: March 30, 2008, 09:55:18 PM »

Cilla - If you're thinking musicals, I'd suggest IN THE HEIGHTS, among the new musicals.  The story is a little preposterous at (rare) times, but what an exciting show.

If you want something Greenwich Villagey and funky, and if you don't mind a show being a real downer as long as it's brilliant, I'd suggest off-Broadway's ADDING MACHINE.  Discounts are sure to be had, but I thought it was a slit-your-wrists dramatic musical gem.  And it features the excellent Joe Farrell, whom some may remember from TRADING SPACES FAMILY.

Thanks for the suggestion. There is a big Gala the Friday I'm at the meeting and I just refuse to pay $275 for dinner, so unless someone bought a table, has an extra seat and offers it to me, I may have Friday night free and being downtown, the Village would be fun.  

I really don't know how much I'm going to hang out at the meeting. I will go to the CLE sessions that I need to go to, but other that that??? I went to NACDL meetings 3-4 times a year for almost 10 years, so I have a lot of friends there. After getting off the board of directors, I haven't gone to a meeting in 2 years. Things change rapidly in an organization like that and sometimes if you're not around you're really out of the loop. I have no idea how it's going to go down.  So I'm either going to have a great time with my friends there and want to stay or I'll be ready to go to a show by Friday night and will be looking for HHW friends who may want to play.  That Saturday and Sunday night I'll be at the Edison Hotel.

My friend Pam, from here, will be sharing a room with me at the Downtown Marriott. She goes to see a friend of hers from college and we just share hotel expenses. She's got tickets to a Central Park birding walking tour on Saturday AM and has invited me along. Has anyone taken that tour?

Cillaliz

« Reply #214 on: March 30, 2008, 10:03:50 PM »

Well, RENT is still playing, isn't it?

Actually, Yes it is. It will be playing through the summer now.  I've seen it 5-6 times. The first time was the very first stop on the very first tour. Then I saw it a couple months later on Broadway with most of the original cast.  It's really sort of been downhill from there as far as the productions I've seen (different tours) and after the last one I decided I really don't ever need to see it again.  I did go to the movie with DR Samantha when it first opened and we both loved it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #215 on: March 30, 2008, 10:05:14 PM »

Had anyone heard anything about THURGOOD?  That looks interesting to me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #216 on: March 30, 2008, 10:27:59 PM »

I seem to have chased everyone away.....guess it's time to sleep.  Night

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #217 on: March 30, 2008, 11:23:48 PM »

Paul's green hair, lol. He says it's much better than gray.  It's permanent dye.

One of my suite-mates in college bleached his hair, dyed it green and went to Mardi Gras in New Orleans!

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:08:57 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #218 on: March 30, 2008, 11:24:02 PM »

Love the pictures, Cilla! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #219 on: March 30, 2008, 11:25:15 PM »

The field trip to Zombie Prom was a success. For the most part the kids enjoyed the show and the experience- there was some disappointment that I would not buy them unlimited snacks at intermission. A few were very into the show and later said that they had never been to a live show before, so I'm glad I went to the trouble of organizing.

Good for you!  I have the cast recording and I really like it.  I'd love to see the show, someday. :)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #220 on: March 30, 2008, 11:36:35 PM »

Good for you!  I have the cast recording and I really like it.  I'd love to see the show, someday. :)

I MD'd the show a few years ago.  It's a really great show, hopefully, it will come around again.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: March 30, 2008, 11:56:44 PM »

Finished watching some more Rookies episodes.

George

« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2008, 11:59:12 PM »

I am now watching the Courtney Cox show, "Dirt." :)

George

« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2008, 12:02:13 AM »

We had a very good show this afternoon and a very good audience.  We found out officially that we will NOT be having a Wednesday night performance.  We were told to plan on a Thursday show, but they might contact everyone if it's not to be.  

George

« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2008, 12:14:39 AM »

Next, I put in THE LAST STARFIGHTER on HD-DVD. I haven't seen this film since I reviewed it way back in 1984 for the newspaper syndicate that employed me. It was nice revisiting it, and I didn't remember a whole lot about it. Yes, the special effects are cartoonish in the extreme (one of the earliest examples of computer graphics), but it's still a lot of fun.

Did ya know that there's a musical based on this movie??  It's pretty good, too.

;)

George

« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2008, 12:29:24 AM »

Well, I am going to bed.  We have three days off from the show and I want to enjoy them...and one of the cast members is having a Brisket-O-Rama at her house tomorrow night, and it starts earlier than when I normally leave work, so I want to get to work early.

Good night, all. :)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #226 on: March 31, 2008, 12:59:58 AM »

I had decided to watch COLD CASE "live" and record JOHN ADAMS and THE TUDORS. Of course, no sooner do I get to CBS than I see BIG BROTHER is still on, so obviously a basketball game must have run late. Rats!
I hope you still recorded it - one of their better episodes.

The show had a guest spot by Shoshannah Stern, the deaf actress who played Bonnie in Jericho.

der brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up