Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: UNWIND TIME  (Read 24613 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:UNWIND TIME
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2008, 10:50:53 AM »

Okay, Jose....name the opera, and the aria, that begins...:

Ya vas lyublyu, lyublyu bezmerno

Extra points if you can identify the movie which has, as its main thematic movement, a note-for-note development of this aria, sans words, with no credit anywhere for its "actual" composer.

Well, the opera is the easy part of the answer for me: Tschaikovsky's "Pique Dame" ("The Queen of Spades") -Gambling actually figures into a couple of Russian operas, including Prokofiev's "The Gambler" which is about to be remounted by the Met - the set is basically one giant roulette wheel!

As for the movie.... Hmm... Let me pull my recording of the opera off the shelf to get reacquainted with it...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2008, 10:51:41 AM »

FJL, thanks for the link.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2008, 10:54:19 AM »

I'm up, after a pretty good night's sleep - I can't remember if my dreams were odd or not.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »

My current favorite salad and dressing is served at Ruth's Chris - their thousand island is incredible, and I rarely have thousand island because it is done so poorly.  My mother made the best thousand island in history.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2008, 10:55:16 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - My minor in college was "Vocal Performance".  And, in fact, by the time I graduated, I was singing in five languages: English, Italian, German, French, and Russian.  -Oh, and I guess a little Catalan too.  -Those "lispy" S's came easy to me.  ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2008, 10:55:53 AM »

Welcome eleven GUESTS.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2008, 10:58:04 AM »

Well, the opera is the easy part of the answer for me: Tschaikovsky's "Pique Dame" ("The Queen of Spades") -Gambling actually figures into a couple of Russian operas, including Prokofiev's "The Gambler" which is about to be remounted by the Met - the set is basically one giant roulette wheel!

As for the movie.... Hmm... Let me pull my recording of the opera off the shelf to get reacquainted with it...

Big Hint:  It was a "big" production of a classic (made in the past 15 years) with one of Britain's leading actor-directors (noted for said big productions) collaborating with his "house" composer.

Most of the film's main thematic material was based upon Yeletzky's Aria.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 11:00:20 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2008, 10:58:56 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - My minor in college was "Vocal Performance".  And, in fact, by the time I graduated, I was singing in five languages: English, Italian, German, French, and Russian.  -Oh, and I guess a little Catalan too.  -Those "lispy" S's came easy to me.  ::)

Oh, Jose....I always KNEW you were a "cunning linguist"!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2008, 11:00:23 AM »

Big Hint:  It was a "big" production of a classic (made in the past 15 years) with one of Britain's leading actor-directors (noted for said big productions) collaborating with his "house" composer.

John Doyle?
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2008, 11:00:49 AM »

Branaugh/Doyle?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2008, 11:05:15 AM »

OOPS!!!!!! I meant Patrick Doyle!  NOT John!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2008, 11:10:39 AM »

I agreed to play one rehearsal of a local production of The Light in the Piazza.  I picked up the score last night - the MD told me he doesn't know what will be covered at the rehearsal I'm playing at - So... if I'm e/t (more than usual) the next few days, you'll know where I am... OY

(side note:  for those pianists that know the vocal selections of the show know that most of it seems impossible to navigate, however, the score is easier to read as the melody is not in the accompaniment... thank God for some small favors)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »

I agreed to play one rehearsal of a local production of The Light in the Piazza.  I picked up the score last night - the MD told me he doesn't know what will be covered at the rehearsal I'm playing at - So... if I'm e/t (more than usual) the next few days, you'll know where I am... OY

(side note:  for those pianists that know the vocal selections of the show know that most of it seems impossible to navigate, however, the score is easier to read as the melody is not in the accompaniment... thank God for some small favors)

Agreed!  "The Beauty Is" is rendered unplayable in the vocal selections.  Why Adam Guettel(?) approved(?) that format for the vocal selections is beyond me.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2008, 11:13:49 AM »

OOPS!!!!!! I meant Patrick Doyle!  NOT John!

That's correct!

And the film that he scored, apparently "inspired" by Tschaikovsky's very specific aria from "Pique Dame"?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2008, 11:14:49 AM »

Branaugh/Doyle?

Yes, Kenneth Branagh and Patrick Doyle.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2008, 11:26:30 AM »

I gotta tell you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2008, 11:27:02 AM »

Make that fifteen GUESTS.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2008, 11:30:11 AM »

Well... I need to run some errands, so...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2008, 11:36:07 AM »

the score is easier to read as the melody is not in the accompaniment...

Perhaps.  But there's still a lot of notes!  Oy!!!

***REHEARSAL VIBES***[/size]
to you, DR Matthew!  :) [/size]

singdaw

« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2008, 11:36:55 AM »

I gotta tell you.

You gotta.  But are ya gonna?     :)

Jennifer

« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2008, 11:47:58 AM »

What did the BIG BROTHER watchers make of last night's show and turn of events?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2008, 11:48:57 AM »

I do a pretty mean french dress myself!

Ah yes, memories from your Salad Days.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2008, 11:49:04 AM »

Since i started making my own salad dressings i do not like or use the store bought ones anymore.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2008, 11:51:16 AM »

What did the BIG BROTHER watchers make of last night's show and turn of events?

Oddly, I found myself delighted with the results...of both the eviction and the HOH competition.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2008, 11:52:32 AM »

And that's unusual for me.  But since I don't care about any of them, in general, I found myself being annoyed by the evictee's voice and brassiness...to the extreme.

Jennifer

« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2008, 11:54:48 AM »

RE: last night's BIG BROTHER for me ...

jlf dlfjdlfjdlfjdl fjdf jdfj j  dlfjdlfj dlfj dfj dfj dlfjdfjldfj dfj kldfj ldjfljdf klj
It was interesting to me because on last night's show they actually updated us with what had really happened. Usually when it is eviction night they don't show us all the discussions beforehand.
But i felt like last night they really showed us that nat et al were planning to screw over james/josh.
jildfjdjfdfj dlfj dfjkldfjlkdjfkldjfkldj flkjdfkldj flkdjf kldj flkjdfkljdfld

jlfkjdklfj dkfj lfjkldj flkjfkljfkd fkljdlfk kjkl j ldf jdfkl dfkljdfkljdlkfj dfd
I was happy to see josh go. I felt bad watching his parents. I'm sure he can be a nice and decent guy. But he just behaved so poorly so much of the time. I did not like him.  I was happy to see adam win hoh (don't especially like him). But did not want to see james win. It was interesting to see sharon blow it (she really had it but blew it big time). I'm curious if she lost on purpose or not. I'm curious to see if adam will nominate sharon/james. I'm guessing so.
hjljdfjdlk fjdf dlkfj ldjfkld fildj flkjdfkljd lfjdklf jdlkfj dfj dfjdfj dlfjd lf

Jane

« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2008, 11:57:02 AM »

GROAN!  When Bryan put his loft on the market he became the 4th one in the building for sale.  As of today there are now 7 lofts for sale, the latest being close in size & price to Bryan's. :(

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2008, 11:57:14 AM »

...I prefer to have my salad served undressed.

At times, I prefer to have my salad server undressed.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2008, 11:58:12 AM »

It is almost time to leave for the dentist.

Jennifer

« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2008, 12:08:29 PM »

PROJECT RUNWAY SEASON 4 FINALE DISCUSSION

SPOILERS

fdf jd lfjd fjkdfj dfjkdfj kdfj j jfj djfkdfjdfkjdfdfklj dfjdfkldjflkdfj kldfj jldf
Well i'm probably the only one who did not get to watch the show when it was on. But i'm just now reading some of the posts here. It's a shame we get it delayed in canada, since this is one of my favorite shows and i would enjoy discussing it here. :(
df jdlfj dlfj d dj kdlfk jdfjdfj fdljfkldfjklfj fjlfjl fj dlfkjdlfjf lfjfj dlfj dlfj

jkldjf kldj flkjdflkjdfl djff ljfljf ljdflkdjfl fj ldfjl fj jdl fjdlf j fj dlfjdfklj dlf
I just wanted to add that i was not at all surprised with the winner. Both on the US version and on PROJECT RUNWAY CANADA they often try to choose who they think will be the next big talent. Not totally just who has the best runway show.  I think that the winner was consistently strong and he was my bet to win for a while.
jlkdj fkldj fkldjfkljd fkljd fkljdf dlf dlfj kldfjkdfj kdfj fj dlfjdlfj dlfjd jfkdfj

jfdlfj dfj klfj lfjkdfjfjdlfjdlfk dlfjlfjfjkljdlkfj j ffjdlfj j dlfjdlfjdlfjfdlfjdlfjdlfj
I did not really like the 2nd place finisher. I loved Jillian. And i actually loved victoria and kevin (who i thought got eliminated way too early). I think christian and jillian were my favs though. I was not surprised christian was fan favorite. I thought he was sweet! :)
I actually found myself disappointed chris did not make to fashion week as one of the final 3. I thought what he showed looked quite interesting.
jlfkdjfjd fkljdfklj dfklj dlfjdlfj lfjklfj kdfjdkjlk lkjfdl fjdl fj kdfj fj dlfkj lkj
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up