Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: FIRMWARE  (Read 30969 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:FIRMWARE
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 06:26:48 AM »

Regarding Gypsy,

Jose, glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Whew!  We'll tawk.  ;)

*I'm sort of tempted to check out some of the theatre boards just to see what other "dissenting" opiners might be out there, but I just dread having to slog through some of the inevitable drivel.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 06:29:57 AM »

I'm hoping to get down to Signature to see The Happy Time -  hopefully, next weekend.

Speaking on tin-eared critics, one of the DC reviewers knocked the HAPPY TIME score, which I think is one of Kander & Ebb's best.  I was lucky to see the Goodspeed production in 1979, which had a large - for Goodspeed - orchestra of around 15 players, and a good cast except for the Robert Goulet role. It was a wonderful production that put back material that Gower Champion foolishly cut and there were three more songs, as I recall, that helped the show a lot.  I told Michael Price they should have brought it in so all the little boys who couldn't be in ANNIE would have a show running in New York.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2008, 06:46:41 AM »

You can now pre-order this from Ghostlight Records:

singdaw

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 06:47:21 AM »

Didn't Frank Loesser write The Fugue for Tin Ears?

Ben

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2008, 07:01:35 AM »

Right now I'm listening to Disc 1 of the 1989 Candide directed by Mr. B. himself. Disc 2 after that and then the Donna Murphy Wonderful Town revival.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2008, 07:01:58 AM »

DR George - a DVR that can burn DVDs!  

What a handy thing!  :)

I have one of those as well, though I rarely use the DVR part of it unless the DVR in my cable box is busy with two other shows. The hard drive isn't nearly as big as the one in my cable DVR box.

When I want to burn a DVD-R from something in my cable DVR cache, I already have that hooked up, too, so it's an easy matter to record from the cable DVR box.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2008, 07:06:30 AM »

Speaking on tin-eared critics, one of the DC reviewers knocked the HAPPY TIME score, which I think is one of Kander & Ebb's best.  I was lucky to see the Goodspeed production in 1979, which had a large - for Goodspeed - orchestra of around 15 players, and a good cast except for the Robert Goulet role. It was a wonderful production that put back material that Gower Champion foolishly cut and there were three more songs, as I recall, that helped the show a lot.  I told Michael Price they should have brought it in so all the little boys who couldn't be in ANNIE would have a show running in New York.

If they knock THAT score, then they are blasted idiots; it is one of the greatest scores ever from a flop show. I saw the original Broadway production and was transfixed by it. Grand showstoppers, Robert Goulet at the height of his matinee idol appeal, the superb Michael Rupert in an early showcase role for him. This show had everything but an audience, and I lay that at Gower Champion's feet for not letting the show exist in a smaller theater. It was not the HUGE blockbuster that DOLLY was, and it shouldn't have been made to be in (then) Broadway's largest theater.

I often wonder how long it would have run if it had played the Booth and IF all that brouhaha with the curtain being held on opening night for one late critic didn't rile the others into dumping on the show.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2008, 07:06:56 AM »

March of the Toys!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2008, 07:07:17 AM »

Good morning!

It's going to be 80 here today! Gorgeous day that I've already gotten off to a rousing start.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2008, 07:09:06 AM »

How did I get the day off to a rousing start? Well, by mowing my back yard, of course.

YUCK!

But though it seemed like it took me an hour to mow it, it was actually only 25 minutes!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2008, 07:09:26 AM »

Good morning, all!

You too, Ben!   ;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2008, 07:10:00 AM »

HELP!  I'm being held captive assigned to work this hour at the Computer Services Desk  :P
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2008, 07:10:08 AM »

Have a dentist appointment in less than an hour.

Urg!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2008, 07:11:06 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - GARLAND AT THE GROVE

DVD - A BLAST OF SILENCE
          THE RED VIOLIN
          HIT THE DECK

DVR - nothing! I watched it all last night. Amazing how skipping commercials can save you 20 minutes per show.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2008, 07:13:36 AM »

TV Reminders:

GHOST WHISPERER and NUMB3RS new episodes tonight.

Miss USA PAGEANT

CANTERBURY'S LAW

(BONES is not a new episode tonight, but it's a superb season two episode with the recurring serial killer character Howard Epps, Brennan's nemesis. Highly recommended!)

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2008, 07:15:11 AM »

Yes, I have to reenter the reviewing mode again this afternoon. Actually looking forward to it since some of these are films I've never seen but look really interesting.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2008, 07:19:30 AM »

About Michael Johns' elimination. Although I could see him getting as far as to third place, I never felt he was one of the favorites. At this point, I could see the three guys: Castro (ugh!), Cook, and Archuleta as the final three (not based necessarily on talent but in overall popularity down through the weeks).

I will be very surprised if we don't see a succession of ladies going in the next several weeks.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:20:35 AM by Matt H. »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2008, 07:21:02 AM »

Hmm...  Well, it seems that the fourth hour of "The Today Show" has become the equivalent of a traffic accident that you can't look away from. :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2008, 07:29:21 AM »

Hmm...  Well, it seems that the fourth hour of "The Today Show" has become the equivalent of a traffic accident that you can't look away from. :-\

Now I'm gonna have to watch it on Monday, my day off.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2008, 07:35:00 AM »

photo:   Satyagraha rehearsal

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2008, 07:43:28 AM »

I'm heading down now to take care of some financial matters (write some checks), then get cleaned up so I can run my usual Friday errands.

WBBL.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2008, 07:51:24 AM »

RE: last night's AMERICAN IDOL ELIMINATION

SPOILERS

jlkdjfld jfld jfkldj fkljdfjdlfjdlfjkljdflkdjflkdjfkljdfd fkljdfklj dlfjdfdfljdfjdl
I was pretty surprised. Not really with the B3. But more with who went home. I suspected Syesha would be bottom 3. And with carly's reviews and performance this week i was not surprised that she was B3 either. I guess since Kristy is now popular. And since the judges praised Jason Castro so much this week, someone else had to be in the bottom. So i was not totally shocked to see michael there. Maybe that is what the judges meant when they said they were okay with the bottom 3. Probably a lot of it was based on this week's performances only.  I thought it was interesting/sort of mean that ryan said "well last year during idol gives back the person with the lowest votes did not go home (pause) ... but this year michael you're leaving!". I guess that was to add to the suspense since everyone (myself included) was wondering.

jlkfj dljf ljdfl jdfj dfj djfd fjdfjkljdfkljdflkdjfdl  kljld fjldj fldjf ljdfdlfj l
I will say that i liked the person that went home. Well actually i think he had a lot more potential than he showed. I remember that Bohemian Rhapsody during Hollywood week and it was incredible. I just wish he had done as well during the actual show.
jldfj kljdfkljdfkldfjdljdfk dlfjdfkl dfj f lfj dlj dlfjdfjdlfj dlfj dlfjdlf jdlf jl
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:52:20 AM by Jennifer »

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2008, 07:55:51 AM »

Media Check:

CD: Soundtrack to the Punjabi film WARIS SHAH

DVD: Episodes of HIGHWAY PATROL

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2008, 07:56:59 AM »

I'm having an infuriating time with the LoC Music Division these days and I'm starting to regret sending my manuscripts to them.

On a happier note, the "King's Barcarolle" from the Bill Burden-Anna Christy-Kim Criswell-Lambert Wilson CANDIDE at the Paris Opera.

DR George, I'm sure of one thing about CANDIDE: Kim Criswell has to sound better in the role for a legit mezzo than the over-parted Lupone. Also, I believe this production was based on the Scottish Opera libretto and not the 1973 Broadway Theatre version.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:58:51 AM by elmore3003 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2008, 08:00:38 AM »

DR ELMORE there is a great Vitaphone clip of Elsie Janis doing her particular brand of singing and dancing from the early 1920's on THE JAZZ SINGER dvd....the soldiers she was singing for from the back of a truck thought she was great, and she seemed to be having a good time!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2008, 08:00:42 AM »

So where the hell is the photo?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2008, 08:02:42 AM »

KISMET.....I have only seen the VHS, but I like the movie.  It did take me a moment to get used to Howard Keel being Ann Blyth's father, but then I was fine.

My favorite moments - well the set designer really should have talked to Tony Doucette (I think he did the costumes) - every time Sebastian Cabot comes through a door, he has to duck to get his hat through....it becomes fun to watch for!  And he can walk, talk, and duck all at the same time.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2008, 08:03:23 AM »

DR ELMORE - I liked your photo from yesterday much more than the one above.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2008, 08:03:49 AM »

Thanks for the GYPSY report DR JOSE.......

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2008, 08:04:31 AM »

DR ELMORE there is a great Vitaphone clip of Elsie Janis doing her particular brand of singing and dancing from the early 1920's on THE JAZZ SINGER dvd....the soldiers she was singing for from the back of a truck thought she was great, and she seemed to be having a good time!

I've heard.  I need to get it from Netflix and watch it.  She released two recordings from her 1911 show The Slim Princess and she's really a lousy singer, but neither she nor Montgomery & Stone recorded anything from The Lady Of The Slipper.  Elsie's mother hung out with the Elsie de Wolfe-Bessie Marbury lesbian theatre crowd. Marbury was one of the producers with Ray Comstock of the Princess Theatre shows. Elsie was involved with Eva LeGallienne for a while, as were many other ladies.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up