Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THEME FROM DRAGNET  (Read 24146 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:THEME FROM DRAGNET
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2004, 09:35:50 PM »

Oh, no doubt the galley is the cause of said grumpiness.  And it does appear that we'll eke by this evening, so all will probably be well.

Isn't it strange that they call them galleys, which just happens to, also, be the name given to Roman slave ships?  Hmmmm.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2004, 09:41:26 PM »

Before I go to bed...

Very interesting Grammy Awards - at least the part that was televised.  Besides Beyonce walking home with five of them, the rest of the awards seemed pretty evenly distributed.  -And I actually enjoyed some of the musical segments where they combined a "classic" artist with a current performer.  There were a few names I didn't know, a few I know but don't care for, and a few names that I was happy to hear either as just a nominee or as a winner.

-Wow, that's kind of vague...  but as I was saying, before I go to bed...

TV Themes: Happy Days, Gilligan's Island, The Jeffersons, Three's Company (just because the "sound" intrigued me, as well as some of the lyrics), Mary Tyler Moore, Sesame Street, Electric Company, M*A*S*H*, Dr. Who (at least when I used to watch it, I'm not sure if it changed along with the various Dr. Who's),... -yeah, I know most of those are theme songs, but.... As I was saying, before I go to bed...

DR Jay - Varekai totally blew me away when I saw it in LA in September.  Truly a beautiful show.  And what I liked most about it was that it was/is a return to their original concept - truly showcasing the performers, a not so dark and gloomy "story", and having funny(!) clowns!  -That whole "Ne me quittez pas" sequence... ;D  And the firefly effect - so simple, yet so effective, had me in tears with it's "wonder".  -Oh, and the "curtain speech" too!  And when that first acrobat goes flying off the Russian Swings...  WOW!  And... And.. And...

And, MBarnum - I have Cinemax - I'll check the listings and set my VCR for ya'.  *On my local cable system, Cinemax is automatically bundled with HBO now, so...  Otherwise, I wouldn't "subscribe" to Skinemax. ;)

And now, Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2004, 09:54:11 PM »

I have to say that I don't mind the slowdowns...mainly because there is so much to read during the week (when I'm at work ;) ) but on the weekends I don't feel like I have to secretly rush through all the posts while no one's looking.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2004, 09:57:08 PM »

Now I have to bake cookies for a bake sale in the morning.  Hey, I'm starting them before midnight!  This is a good thing!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2004, 10:03:49 PM »

Good vibes to:

td
WFO, Joe, and Joe's mom
Jane
BK (may your mood improve)
and, finally,
to all the rest of the wonderful Dear Readers

(May we never have to face a day without our HHW)

Good Night, My Friends!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2004, 10:09:58 PM »

Johnny Crawford presently fronts a 1920's-30's dance band that plays terrific music from those decades, with a lot of emphasis on movie and show music...ala Gershwin and Porter. Johnny is the band leader and singer.  His voice is eminently suited to the period and he and the band are great.  I've seen them play and have danced to their music on several occasions.  Great stuff!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2004, 10:19:04 PM »

Just watched CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM - which was actually funny this week. Especially Shelley Berman as Larry David's father. It's good to see him again.

I'm not in a great mood, myself. Maybe there's some kind of lousy mood virus spreading around Studio City. Good night, all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2004, 10:51:49 PM »

Back, and feeling a bit better, but I won't be totally out of this mood until I finish my conversation in the morning with the publisher - I need to vent with them and I need their assurance that things will go exactly as I need them to.

On a happier note (Eb), tonight we completely finished two more Kritzer Time tracks and laid down a basic track for one more, so I think one to two more sessions in the next two weeks should do it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2004, 10:52:40 PM »

Oh, and on the way home I stopped and got an In and Out burger - protein version.  It's their classic cheesburger, but wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun.  It was actually VERY tasty.

Tomovoz

« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2004, 11:00:19 PM »

I have returned from the "Return Of The King". Whatever your tastes in movies, a remarkable piece of cinema for Mr Jackson. I look forward to the DVD.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2004, 11:05:06 PM »

I came back for a minute even though I've already said g'night. Feeling incredibly restless. I think I'll clean up the little house so I wake up to neatness and order. Once again --- Good night.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2004, 11:07:39 PM »

Well, der Brucer and I are finally back from grandladsitting, which would be a whole lot easier if they didn't squirm so much!

::) ;D

No, things went pretty well.  Of course, with the older lad (aged 6) if anyone asks him to help do something his automatic response is "It's not my fault!" or "But I didn't do anything!"  And the younger lad is aged 3, which gives him boundless energy that bounces off of everything.

Still, der Brucer got dinner (aka breakfast for dinner) on the table, with younger lad's help.  Games were played.  Videos were watched.  The parents were out of the grandlads' hair and off their case for a few welcome hours.  We even got them to bed without too much of a ruckus.

And then the parents returned.  Chaos in less than ten minutes.  It's really too bad the parents can't watch der Brucer in action, to see how he exerts control.  

Now there's a debate going on in the family, because der Brucer's daughter is reacting to our dogs.  "The younger lad is allergic to them!  And so am I!" she has decreed.  Exactly how allergic either she or he are is unclear, but it is obviously the fault of the dogs; she would not take kindly to anyone suggesting that she take an allergy medicine.  (I will admit that having younger lad take medicine at his age without advice from a doctor is not a good idea.)  I can't help having the feeling that she would be very happy for us to get rid of the dogs.  Not gonna happen, dearie.

There's also a debate about how quickly the basement is to be finished as a living space.  Frankly, I don't see the rush, as there's plenty of living space for the two of us in the upstairs.  But daughter wants the basement fitted out to her specifications for when she and family visit.  

Enough.  Der Brucer and I have plenty to do, with unpacking and bookshelving and sorting and such.  I can't wait until my over-tall kitchen table arrives, to create that extra workspace I've been longing for.  And the boxes are on their way from Dad, with all the CDs and DVDs.

On the drive to babysitting the grandlads, there were flocks of birds dappling the sky with moving spots of grey, some in geese arrows, some in random flocking.  I thanked der Brucer for moving me to such a beautiful part of the country.  His smile made my day.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2004, 11:09:02 PM »

And thanks to those who were here today and kept the home fries burning.

I want to make something perfectly clear: a) I was in a really foul mood today, and it just irked me seeing the low number of posts.   It was stupid, but when one is in a really foul mood that sort of thing happens sometimes.  NONE of my snippy posts were directed at people who were here today, I would hope that was obvious.  Someone e-mailed me and told me that a couple of people were alarmed that I might shut down Sundays and that those people would never return if I did such a thing.  First of all, the site wouldn't shut down, I just wouldn't put up a new topic - but I'm not going to do it.  I'm happy that the people who bother to show up on Sundays show up and I'm certainly not going to punish them if the numbers suck (which they did up until about six tonight).  I will be fine and back to usual as soon as I get this galley stuff rectified.  Part of the problem is they sent it to me on Saturday so that there was no one I could vent to and I just got angrier and angrier yesterday and today as I had to go through and catch all their ridiculous mistakes, most of which weren't even IN the last galley.

Tomovoz

« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2004, 11:11:56 PM »

I was interested to read Jay's post re February 9 2003. I had no idea my visits to LOTR were a year apart - and with the same group of people (5 of us  -Not all the people in the cinema).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2004, 11:17:51 PM »

And I hope, my dear BK, that it's the quality of posts, and not the quanitity, that will be part of your final decision on whether to continue the Sunday HHW.  I, for one, would miss the missives from DRJose.  I look forward to the comments from Jay, and Panni, and Pogue, and Tomovoz and all the rest.  This is another form of family that has collected here, and even my ever-cool scorekeeper's distancing habits have been shattered by the warmth.  

I'll have to tell the tales of scorekeeping at another time.  For now, let me simply say that I am grateful to you for being our host, our friendly uncle/brother.  You have helped so many of us through difficult times.

Damn, you make me wish I weren't disdainful of being maudlin!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2004, 11:19:28 PM »

Of course it's the quality of the posts and always will be.  Everything is fine, Sundays will stay and what will be will be.

Tomovoz

« Reply #166 on: February 08, 2004, 11:22:17 PM »

Car service day for me tomorrow so I shall be away from home (and the computer) for quite a while. All very complicated but I drive to a mechanic about an hour away and then spend most of the day with a friend who lives in that area.  Thus I may be truant for a large part of the day. No doubt the world shall continue to turn. As usual, I shall be back in an hour or so for a post for the new day.
Final themes: "Medic". I don't think "Blue Star" was written for the show but that is where I know it from. "The Homecoming" (The Waltons) was also a lovley piece of music. Goodnight John Boy and everyone.
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #167 on: February 08, 2004, 11:24:55 PM »

I also want to make clear that my posts to BK earlier were not intended to be snippy, if they came off that way.  They were an attempt to voice my opinions on the whole subject in a reasoned, respectful tone... if they possibly came across otherwise to anyone, I apologize.  I've been in a rather foul mood myself all weekend.

Here's to a week of better moods for all HHW denizens!!!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2004, 11:37:04 PM »

Add to favorite TV themes: The Avengers,particularly with the trumpet counterpart when they rewrote it after introducing Tara (Linda Thorson).  The third season theme (except for the break) for Lost In Space.  And for some reason I keep flashing back to the theme from The Scarecrow and Mrs. King, probably because der Brucer was addicted to the reruns at one point.

And Buster has decided he likes popcorn.  I'll nuke up a bag, and he's right there, watching and listening to the popping.  He doesn't pest, but sits by my feet here at the computer, happily munching on the popped kernels I give him.  I do so love a happy dog!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up