Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THEME FROM DRAGNET  (Read 24148 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THEME FROM DRAGNET
« on: February 08, 2004, 12:02:53 AM »

Well, you've deciphered the notes and you are ready to post until the cows come home, at least I hope and trust you are.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 12:03:22 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:THEME FROM DRAGNET
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 12:13:01 AM »

I thought the "Dragnet" theme would have been more appropriate for a Friday. It certainly was one of those TV show themes that has "stuck". So was "77 Sunset Strip".  I should check and see if there is a Don Ralke Cd available. Much of that early Warner Bros music has been hard to get. If I remember correctly, the "B" side of the Ralke single of "77 Sunset Strip" was a Cha Cha version. (Maybe Kookie could lend you his comb for that proof reading).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 12:37:05 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 12:43:44 AM »

Any updates on "Children OF Eden" Jed? Does anyone bother to video the shows? Next question of course is "would it be possible to see it?". I am used to School productions and their limitations but have always wanted to see the show produced somewhere and as yet have not had the opportunity.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 03:51:41 AM »

DR td:

Good to hear your Dad is recouping apace.  Hospitals are no fun for anyone.  Here come some vibes:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Speaking of which, Joe's mother has been in the hospital for the last week and just had a foot amputated (complications from diabetes) on Thursday--the day after our court date.  At least she seems to be in less pain than she has had lately.

And that's about all the Gloom & Doom I have for now.  Lurking here for the weekend has brightened things up for me a lot.  That and watching really cheesy monster movies with Joe--something that always takes us away from our troubles.  Last night's offering on SciFi was a total Aliens rip-off but minus the interesting characters--just one dark industrial hallway after another filmed in green-o-vision in a game of let's-split-up-so-it-can-kill-us-one-at-a-time.  Too much like the real world for my tastes.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Danise

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 06:06:25 AM »

Good morning all!

Glad to see the board is still here and didn't burn down from keeping the home fries burning.   :)

It's cold here in Florida!  Per my Weather Bug in the corner of my screen it is 37 degrees as I type this!  Burrrrr!  Did I ever mention that cold is a 4 letter word?  

Happy Sunday all!  I hope today is bright and warm and wonderful for everyone.  

Thanks, DR Jennifer, I'm glad you like my "new" look.    It's fun playing "dress up".  :) :D

I've been putting it off--don't ask me why--but I bought a computer teaching program yesterday.  I'm going to try to grasp Spanish.  I've always want to speak a 2nd language and Spanish would be a big help at work.  I would have liked to pick German (since I am part German)  but since I don't know anyone who speaks it, I would have a hard time practicing.  I'll have plenty of people to practice Spanish with on the job.

The odd thing is when I was a very little girl and my Grandmother on my Dad's side (the only grandparent I got to meet since my Mom was an orphan and my Grandfather on my Dad's side died before I was born) was alive, I spoke German with her.  She was German and spoke it all the time.  There's a tape of  us playing "Old Maid" and talking in German but I have no memeory of it.  I can barely say a word now.

So here's my question for everyone today.  Who on the board speaks another language?  If so, which ones?  Anyone else speak one as a child and then because you didn't have anything to keep it up, lost it?

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 06:23:18 AM »

Another TV theme that has stood the test of time: PETER GUNN. Just to hear those opening bass notes immediately lets those of my generation know immediately what show you're about to see.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 06:45:01 AM »

DR td:

Good to hear your Dad is recouping apace.  Hospitals are no fun for anyone.  Here come some vibes:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move][/b]

Speaking of which, Joe's mother has been in the hospital for the last week and just had a foot amputated (complications from diabetes) on Thursday--the day after our court date.  At least she seems to be in less pain than she has had lately.

Good vibes to Joe's mom for her speedy recovery, too.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 07:23:13 AM »

DR Danise: Only English and French. But I also wish I knew Spanish. Good luck!

Oh and I had Chinese food last night. Yeah for General Taos!

BK: Today's notes made me realize how many either truly stupid there are out there, or how many people are incompetent.

If you really want the people to put the titles in italics I would start or end with:

VERY IMPORTANT: PUT TITLES IN ITALICS. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 07:28:26 AM »

DR Jose: I LOVE your long posts. So interesting. Although sometimes I feel like a peeping tammy :)

Btw, at your auditions, do you ever get to give any imput?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 07:50:16 AM »

Waves of good thoughts and prayers to Dear Reader William F. Orr, Joe and Joe's mom during this trying time.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 07:51:14 AM »

One of the best TV series theme music has to be "Mission Impossible."

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2004, 07:55:46 AM »

Good morning , all. Here I am in lovely Bristol, PA. I am ensconced in the Artist Residence - the theater owns an apartment building for artist housing, right on the river - there are geese honking right outside my window as I write. Oh, the view!!! My apt. has two bedrooms, kitchen, huge living room with a piano, YES A FORMAL DINING ROOM! and wonderful little alcove in a bay window to sit and read. Wonderful views out every window.

I went to their current show last night - Thornton Wilder's Skin Of Our Teeth. Huzzah!! It had all the problems the original production had -- folks just don't get it. Well, cuz it's about the whole history of the human race, what resilient little animals we are, the millions of years of knowledge in our very DNA. Well, I cried at the end of the third act. So moving. And director Keith Baker used slides of history since 1942 or so, when Tallulah Bankhead created Sabina - so there was lots of stuff Wilder could not have imagined - A-bomb, liberation of The Camps, Viet Nan, Trade Towers, y'all know the highlights... and still we go on, still that ember burns inside, some of us just never give up. And Earth abides. Very moving. The first time I saw that show, I think, Bruce Kimmel was Antrobus. I'd love to see him play it now...

So it's a dream come true - the Artist community, living "together" in separate housing, all working on their Art, and my show imminent, and a beautiful sunlit day here on the river. Ahhhhh.... Wish you were here.
PennyO

Jay

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2004, 07:56:17 AM »

Esidesbay lishengay, hetay lyonay anguagelay I peaksay is atinlay.  Igpay atinlay.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2004, 07:57:04 AM »

Love MISSION IMPOSSIBLE and also love Mancini's MR. LUCKY for its lushness.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Robin

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2004, 08:30:17 AM »

Okay, I have a theme for the day, since the theme seems to the drifting off into the theme of TV themes and theme songs.  What are everyone's favorites?

A few of mine own:

Star Trek
Mission Impossible
The Adventures of Superman
Bonanza
Dragnet

And a few favorite theme songs:

It's Gary Shandling's Show--Bar none, the best lyrics of any TV theme song.  Ever.
Mr. Ed
Green Acres
The Addams Family
--And on the eighth day, God created Vic Mizzy.

And my least favorite TV theme song:

Star Trek: Enterprise--Gag me with a spoon!  Who the hell ever thought STAR TREK would need a theme song?  It replaced that horrid Friends thing in the Pantheon of Shame the first time I heard it...!  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2004, 08:35:52 AM »

Good morning. This will probably be my only post for a while today. Have much writing and (work) reading to do. Then to the theatuh for a matinee of CLUTTER, a new play about the mysterious and strange Collyer brothers, then back home to write and read some more.

Languages, Danise: I speak Hungarian, German (understand it better than I speak it, but I do okay) and French - but haven't spoke it in such a long time that I'm really rusty.  And Latin. Semper ubi sub ubi.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2004, 08:50:33 AM »

DR DANISE your Valentine's garb is perfect!  

I speak Spanish....English and that's about it.

Favorite television themes:

77 Sunset Strip, Peter Gunn, Shotgun Slade, I Love Lucy, Honey West, Dick Van Dyke

Lyrics:  Green Acres, Beverly Hillbillies, Addams Family

Least favorite:  Will & Grace, Life With Lucy, Donna Reed Show
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2004, 09:16:32 AM »

TV series song:  "Gilligan's Island."  Love it or hate it, I bet you can still sing every word.  How's that for "sticking" power?

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2004, 09:23:50 AM »

I can speak the language of music, but just barely.

Yes, I agree, DR Jose.  Giving four tempos is a waste of everybody's time at an audition.  Be like everybody else and give one tempo, and don't do a brown song, so as to maximize the amount of time spent considering you and your suitability for the role.

I love Mannix.  I'm fond of a lot of jazz waltzes (Walk Away, anyone?) but Mannix is the cool guy I want to be.  Sometimes, literally, it's the music that wakes me up in the morning.

DR WEL - That Caesar story was most valuable to me and my writing.  I'll have to get his book.  Actually, can DRs recommend any other material about what it was like to televise a variety show in the early 1950s?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2004, 09:26:31 AM »

Not even one page of posts for my mental delectation?  That is heinous (heinous, do you hear me?).  Let's get some postin' goin' on or I shall be ever so depressed as I type up my correction sheet.

Danise

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2004, 09:42:21 AM »

Thanks, JRand.  Glad you like my dress.  Now what to do about St. Patricks day?  Hummmm.  I think I have a "jump" on the "wearing of green" if you noticed my little frog friend.   :D

And my least favorite TV theme song:

Star Trek: Enterprise--Gag me with a spoon!  Who the hell ever thought STAR TREK would need a theme song?  It replaced that horrid Friends thing in the Pantheon of Shame the first time I heard it...!  

Really?  I love the theme song--can't stand the show.  I think "Faith of the Heart" is beautiful--I even have it on my PDA.  

It's funny I have tons of TV theme songs I love/like but right at this very moment, I'm pulling a blank.  I can't think of single one!  Don't you HATE that when it happens?  I can only think of Earth:Final Conflict.

Gosh, we have a LOT of multi lingal (did I spell that right?) people here!  I listened to a part of the first CD.  Mostly words I already know--which I guess is a good start!  I know more than I think.  Amazing.

Noel--I wish I could speak it.  I have tried and tried to learn how to read music but it's like something blocks me,  It should be so simple--A, B, C, D, E, G. How hard is that but I can't DO it! I get all mixed up.   For example--How do you know what an "A" sounds like without hearing it?  If I told you to hum/sing an "A" or whatever note--could you do it?  If so, I envy you.

Before you say it, I know about Every Good Boy Does Fine and FACE but I don't have time to remember that when you trying to sing at the same time.

Sigh.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Kerry

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2004, 09:48:40 AM »

Can we do a roll call of pets again?  I know some of them, but can't remember all.

We have no cats, and we have (as most of you well know) a sweet Border Collie mix named Sugar.  Her last name was Kovalchik, but she changed it.
I like boat races.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2004, 10:01:27 AM »

Nobody got my Latin joke?... It used to crack us up in high school -- not known as a breeding ground for sophisticated humor, that's true. Mind you, it says something that I went to a high school where we cracked wise in Latin. For those of you in TO -- Harbord. A great school.

Pet: Abie, the wonderdog. He's a Lab-German Shepherd(?) mix. Very smart, very sweet. A year and a half old.

I said I wouldn't post and look at me!

Jay

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2004, 10:10:33 AM »

Two purebred black cocker spaniels, father and son:  Roller (13 year old in April) and Blackjack (turned 8 years old this past October.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2004, 10:50:17 AM »

DR Noel - Milton Berle's biography talks a lot about his experiences, and Lawrence Welk's biography also deals with his early days of television.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2004, 10:54:35 AM »

Archie - an apricot cocker spaniel. We think he's about 12 (he's from the pound, so we're not sure). And he thanks everyone for their ongoing good vibes. (He spent a couple more days at the vet's last week, and is now on a new med and a special diet. He's doing nicely, but we were told to be vigilant about his "dietary indiscretions.")

BK - Good luck with the final proofs. The difficulty I find is that when one spacing problem is corrected, a new one sometimes pops up. That's because there could have been an undected spacing problem at the end of a line; and you only become aware of it when the lines reflow, which they usually do when a correction is made.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2004, 11:17:03 AM »

Pets:  Culley, the black cocker who's a sweet old  loving lump (and who, this last week, I've suspected is slowly going blind), about 10-11 years old, I'd have to check his birth certificate.

Cat: Mosby, the Grey Ghost, aka Mr. Moto, aka Moser, aka Grey, aka "you ornery little shit".  Terror of the plains who alternates between being an affectionate, doting, seeming innocent to a vicious, evil monster.  It were he who put me in the Emergency room last week and still has me on antibotics.  Mulitple deep cat-bites on my right hand.  I was trying to sequester him a room.  We had a disagreement about whether he was going or not.  He won.  

Mourned pets:  Humbug, our golden cocker foundling who passed away a couple of years back.  And Hotspur, the perfect dog, a Yorkshire Terrier that I had for fifteen years and used to toured with me.

Jennifer, regarding people's incompetence and stupidity, I have a 1/3 theory.  That 1/3 of humanity keeps the rest of humanity from imploding on its own incompetence.  One really high-functioning third makes it so at least another 3rd can function in their jobs and necessary tasks, and the last third is just hopelessly, utterly incompetent.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2004, 11:22:37 AM »

~~~~~~~
GOOD VIBES FOR JOE'S MOTHER
~~~~~~~

Languages:  my mother is German but I never learned to speak it at all.  My sister took two years of German in high school, but for some reason, I didn't take a foreign language but still managed to graduate.  I did take one quarter of Spanish in college, but all I can remember is "yo tengo hambre"...I am hungry (literally, I have hunger).  For a while I forgot about the "a" in the word and was saying "yo tengo hombre" (I have a man), which was not true...just wishful thinking. ;)

TV Theme Songs:  One of my absolute favorites was "The Theme from The Nanny" which was written by Ann Hampton Callaway and sung by Ann and her little sister Liz (a close and personal friend of BK's).  Also, I like (not love) the theme from "Enterprise" as well as the show.  They have had some pretty good episodes lately...in my humble opinion (IMHO in Internet lingo).

Pet Roll Call:  I don't have a pet, but my sister and her daughter (with whom I used to live) has a cat named Casper (9 years old) and a dog named Murphy (who's 10).  I don't know what kind of cat Casper is...maybe some kind of Siamese mix, but Murphy is a Sheltie (sp?)/Jack Russell terrier mix.  He's like a fat, short lassie dog that's never been trained.  He'll bark at any noise that he can't see...at any hour of the day.  Ugh. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2004, 11:33:04 AM »

Okay, this is bordering on pathetic, although what's here is cherce.  This will not do, oh, no, this will not do.  I have been, as you know, bordering on shutting Sundays down (with Monday a close second) - this just makes me want to do it right now.  Call me crazy, but this has really only been like this for about five weeks.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2004, 11:38:54 AM »

LauraII enjoyed Casablanca-not surprised at all, just pleased.  

SSW thank you for the mint tea suggestion.  I had tried it earlier without too much success.  I might have some again tonight.

Panni I saw your suggestion of chamomile tea just in time last night.  I passed on the honey since I’m slightly allergic to it.  I’m not sure it wasn’t a combination of the tea & watching the “tear jerker” Hallmark movie, but my cough loosened up last night and I SLEPT.  :) :) Well, until Bogie, our cat, woke me up at 4:30 this morning.  He likes to put his whiskers (they are very long) in my face and let out a loud cry.  His goal is for me to lift the covers and let him snuggle next to me.  After awhile he leaves me & does a repeat performance for Keith.

JoseSPiano I have never heard of Zicam products.  I will check them out.

William F. Orr good vibes to Joe’s mother.  Diabetes is such a tough decease.

Penny your housing sounds very nice.  Have a good time.

I think we should have room in our bio’s to include information on our pets.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up