Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WET METAPHOR  (Read 34493 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE WET METAPHOR
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2008, 07:21:29 AM »

Still no sign of "Travels With My Aunt" on DVD.  (Somehow I went from "A Touch Of Class" to that).

There are also a couple of listings for single copies of "Kismet" with Amazon's other sellers. I certainly can't afford to buy the "set" when I'd would not watch the other films - and of course the postage will be so much to the land down under. I may investigate in a month or so and see if more individual copies of "Kismet" are available.

I'd offer to send you the DVD-R I made of the movie off TCM, but, of course, it's not anamorphic.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2008, 07:24:47 AM »

Page Four Wizard of Oz revelation Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2008, 07:27:49 AM »

Good morning!

We're going to be near 80 today with another gorgeous spring day. Supposed to get rain this weekend.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2008, 07:28:58 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - THE NOEL COWARD ALBUM

DVD - PSYCH, Season 1, disc 2
          PADDLE IN THE OCEAN
          NANCY GOES TO RIO

DVR - last night's MY NAME IS EARL

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2008, 07:29:22 AM »

Let me know what you think of ELIZABETH THE GOLDEN AGE. I found it the absolute weakest version of the Mary, Queen of Scots story I've seen on film. Clive Owen's Walter Raleigh is dashing enough but not enough is done with him. A fair amount of the history seems off.

I just found the whole movie kind of disappointing.

Speaking of history, what's with making Mark Smeaton gay in THE TUDORS? If it's common knowledge at court, then wouldn't Henry doubt the adultery charge between Smeaton and Anne when it's time for her head, Mark's, and all the Boleyns' to roll?

The writer of this series clearly believes that all musicians are gay: Thomas Tallis in the first season and now Mark Smeaton (Ed Evanko in REX). In fact, I keep hearing the REX score in the back of my head during most of the series.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 07:29:53 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2008, 07:30:40 AM »

TV Reminders:

CANTERBURY'S LAW (season and likely series finale)

MOONLIGHT returns to the net (CBS); its a rerun, but I'm going to watch anyway. I've missed the show a lot.

singdaw

« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2008, 07:31:14 AM »

Thanks for the film report, DR Ben.  The May lineup does indeed look spectacular!

singdaw

« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2008, 07:33:06 AM »

DR TCB - Thanks for the news of DRs Jed and Ann.

I'm wondering if the name Dinna arose because it was supper time?  ;)

Seriously, perhaps the older sister couldn't say "Ginny" and it came out "Dinna" instead, and that's what took.  Nicknames are often coined that way.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2008, 07:33:40 AM »

Speaking of history, what's with making Mark Smeaton gay in THE TUDORS? If it's common knowledge at court, then wouldn't Henry doubt the adultery charge between Smeaton and Anne when it's time for her head, Mark's, and all the Boleyns' to roll?

The writer of this series clearly believes that all musicians are gay: Thomas Tallis in the first season and now Mark Smeaton (Ed Evanko in REX). In fact, I keep hearing the REX score in the back of my head during most of the series.

I love that they have made him gay; it makes the charges of infidelity with Anne all the more ironic and preposterous.

I was also VERY turned on when he came on to George Boleyn last week. This is the kind of history alterations that I can live with. ;D

singdaw

« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2008, 07:34:41 AM »

Glad our very own DR JRand57 is safe & sound.      Earthquake!   :o

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2008, 07:35:43 AM »

I will continue watching the PSYCH season one episodes today. The transfers are very sharp, but the show certainly is grainy both on the network and on these transfers. I'm not sure exactly why they're filming it this way unless it's being filmed in 16mm for some reason.

singdaw

« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2008, 07:36:04 AM »

I've just read the page by DR DrinkStraw.

I am not to be left alone and unattended at HHW.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2008, 07:36:12 AM »

In completely unrelated, though somehow funny to me, news:  it turns out the grandson of a woman who is a Trustee at the church where my Pops choir rehearses is the new keyboard player for Mariah Carey.  In fact, it was he who accompanied her on Idol from what I'm told.  Anyhoo, having just reviewed the Carey concert DVD, where she is seen interacting with the band and calling them all by name and saying how much she loves them all, according to this woman, Carey has no clue who her band is, knows none of their names, and rehearses with them once before touring.  The music director told the keyboard player he had worked with Carey for years before she got his name right.  I find this sad, yet amusing.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2008, 07:37:14 AM »

I am not to be left alone and unattended at HHW.

Little known fact:  No One is Alone and Unattended was Steve's first draft title.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

singdaw

« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2008, 07:37:47 AM »

the day drag

The day drag is dreary, but...

Ah!  Wait until you see the night drag!    :D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2008, 07:44:17 AM »

I love that they have made him gay; it makes the charges of infidelity with Anne all the more ironic and preposterous.

I was also VERY turned on when he came on to George Boleyn last week. This is the kind of history alterations that I can live with. ;D

It's common knowledge that the charges of adultery were false, but I'm curious as to why Smeaton's being openly gay at court has been developed. It's one thing for the viewer to know it, but I doubt Smeaton, even if he were gay, would have been so open about it. Unless the plot here is being maneuvered that the person who ends up accused of adultery with her is Thomas Wyatt, who clearly hopes the earlier affair will continue. It wouldn't be the first major historic lie the series has pulled, since they killed off Mary (whom they combined with Margaret) last season, I suspect, because she had been offered better money to do BURN NOTICE!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2008, 07:44:37 AM »

Yep, they totally screwed up and the supplies weren't going to be here until next Wednesday or Thursday.  So, I did immediate damage control and ordered a new order of stuff that will be here tomorrow.  When they get the other package back they'll credit me back that money.  In the meantime, having to expedite has cost me fifty bucks more, which I'll call a supervisor about, since it was their screwup and I don't feel I should have to pay all of the expedited shipping charges, since I thought everything was going to be expedited.

singdaw

« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2008, 07:47:47 AM »

It's a red-letter day at Kritzerland!

This new pressing plant seems like they're turning the work around a lot more quickly than the old one did.

singdaw

« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2008, 07:50:01 AM »

*NOTE TO DR Ron Pulliam*

Please be sure to use your new camera, and post a picture of you drooling on yourself after the whole ordeal is over!      :-*

JMK

« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2008, 08:01:15 AM »

TOD:

DVD:  well, I finished the massive BBC Natural History Collection, then moved on to the patently bizarre indy feature "The Guatemalan Handshake," which you'll probably like if you enjoyed "Napoleon Dynamite."  Next up is "Fall of the Roman Empire," which I'm really looking forward to.

CD:  listening to early polyphonic works in a Middle Ages boxed set.  Don't they know parallel fifths are wrong?  ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2008, 08:01:18 AM »

Well, I guess I need to head on down and get cleaned up so I can go out on my usual Friday errands.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2008, 08:10:57 AM »

Good Morning, once again...

One hour down... And, alas, that hour crept apace... And will probably keep doing so until 5:40 - which is our "legal" time to leave today.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2008, 08:30:47 AM »

Just lost one of our helpers due to flakiness.  We're trying a backup now, but if that doesn't work, our first helper will probably be an hour late.  I gotta tell you.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2008, 08:40:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: INVEIGLE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  ALL OF YOU

singdaw

« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2008, 08:42:03 AM »

That will be the title of my autobiography:   Due to Flakiness.

JMK

« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2008, 08:42:51 AM »

Just lost one of our helpers due to flakiness.  We're trying a backup now, but if that doesn't work, our first helper will probably be an hour late.  I gotta tell you.

I keep telling you:  you must not hire people from the Motion Picture Retirement Home.

JMK

« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2008, 08:43:24 AM »

That will be the title of my autobiography:   Due to Flakiness.

They have a shampoo for that, y'know.

MBarnum

« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2008, 08:45:24 AM »

A busy weekend ahead for me as this is the weekend of the 3rd Annual Salem Independent Film Festival....http://www.salemfilmfestival.com/2008/index.html

This has become quite the celebration here in Salem, Oregon, and quite an unusal festival for our normally quite, conservative state capitol...but people are coming from far and away to attend.

My buddy Jim and I will be seeing KARL ROVE, I LOVE YOU which stars FRASIER'S Dan Butler, who will also be in attendance introducing the movie and taking questions afterwards.

Tomorrwo we are seeing the IndieKids short subjects and then DRIVING TO ZIGZAGLAND which is a comedy about a Palestinian actor who hopes to make it big in Hollywood...but instead ends up a cab driver.

MBarnum

« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2008, 08:49:04 AM »

Media Check:

CD:
A compilation CD from the land down under (thanks Mr. Oz!) titled MISTY...I know not what these songs will have in common as the only MISTY I am familiar with is the book about the colt.

DVD:
Episodes (If I get to them) of the 1950s tv show JUDGE ROY BEAN

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2008, 08:49:21 AM »

I keep telling you:  you must not hire people from the Motion Picture Retirement Home.

That's DR MBarnum who keeps doing that.  Who else do you  think is organizing all his Bollywood CDs and DVDs?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up