Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: OPERATING ON ALL CYLINDERS  (Read 68491 times)

singdaw

Re:OPERATING ON ALL CYLINDERS
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2008, 05:03:13 AM »

[size=10]PAIGE, TOO![/size]

Ben

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2008, 05:06:36 AM »

Well, we will cope. He will have housing with a phone so we will talk frequently. I'm thinking it may even be time to break down and get a pre-paid cell phone since he'll be driving to Wisconsin (the theatre is about 90 minutes from Chicago) and if something happens he will not have to look for a phone.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2008, 05:16:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: EPIGONE!

And The Song Of The Day Is: YOU'RE NOTHING WITHOUT ME

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2008, 05:50:52 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Today's an information-waitressing day for me and then I get a 3-day weekend  :D

DR Ben - congratulations to Anthony on his gig in Wisconsin!  He will be not far from where Richard's seminary is located, but will be gone from there before we go for graduation week at the end of October.  I'd recommend that Ant also put

Ten Chimneys

on his tourism agenda.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2008, 06:53:59 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept in again and now I'm moving around, thinking about a second cup of coffee.  I wish there were an accompanying piece of pie, to paraphrase Mr Irving Berlin.

I think I've discovered a bit of recording fraud on the part of the Fat Conductor of Limited Talent and Limitless Ego, and I sent my evidence out to everyone on the project.  The dilemma is that, while he's passing something off as original when he himself created it - as he may have done a couple of other times in the past - and what he's written isn't bad and sticks closely to the abbreviated text found in the vocal score, it's grammatically a mess and needs adjustment.  And after that last sentence, I'm ashamed to be throwing rocks. For the nonce, I'm calling it the creation of a madman and letting the chips fall wherever.

DR singdaw, I miss Paige O'Hara! I've known her since around 1981, and I'm very fond of her. My late great friend Bill Tynes adored her, and the last time I saw him was the December 1986 evening after the dying man, assisted by friends at strategic locales, walked blocks from his apartment on West 45th Street to the Saturday matinee of THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD, in which Paige was playing the title role. That evening, Bill held a farewell Christmas party and gave us gifts: mine was a pair of argyle socks. The next day he flew back to California for the holiday and to die. He died on Jan 9, 1987.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE5DE133EF933A25752C0A961948260

Bill was the original producer of JUBILEE, and I wear the argyles to every performance of the show I can attend. He was a great great friend.

TOD:
   DVD:  several Netflix including THE JAZZ SINGER so I can watch the footage of Elsie Janis
   CD: THE CHOCOLATE SOLDIER, Guy Haines, THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X, Offenbach, toujours les Offenbach!
   VCR:  home movies of someone's home much more lively than mine!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 07:05:02 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 06:56:04 AM »

Congratulations to DP Anthony, DR Ben!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 06:57:57 AM »

DR elmore3003, you always have the best stories!

That memoir of yours is gonna be a real page-turner!   :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2008, 07:07:51 AM »

DR elmore3003, you always have the best stories!

That memoir of yours is gonna be a real page-turner!   :)

The lesbian writer Mercedes d'Acosta wrote a biography titled HERE LIES THE HEART in which she mentions, in rather lurid and oblique purple prose, her affairs with Eva le Gallienne, Marlene Dietrich, and Garbo. Louise Brooks' comment was the book should have been called HERE LIES THE HEART AND LIES AND MORE LIES.  I can only aspire to Ms d'Acosta's level of reminiscences!

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 07:17:26 AM »

TOD - CD(car) - continuing with audiobook, Diane Ackerman's The Zookeeper's Wife, narrated by Suzanne Toren.

...Offenbach, toujours les Offenbach!...

The signal for the people being sheltered at the Warsaw zoo to hide was when the zookeeper's wife played a particular Offenbach selection loudly on the piano.  Can't remember the title of the piece, but will look it up when I can get to a copy of the book.

DVD - Atonement
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2008, 07:18:17 AM »

DR derBrucer, I always hope you will post a backyard birdfeeder photo.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2008, 07:22:34 AM »

Only 40 more minutes left in my sentence assignment at the Computer Services Desk.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2008, 07:23:48 AM »

We've had to dial local numbers with the area code for several years now. One gets used to it. (And if one has a programmable phone, that annoyance only has to happen once for each number you want to save.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

singdaw

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2008, 07:24:37 AM »

Will we have to start posting photos of pin-up girls to balance out the beefcake on Pogue's behalf?  ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 07:26:52 AM by singdaw »

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2008, 07:26:47 AM »

Good morning!

Another gorgeous day here with a high predicted to be 80. Then we're supposed to have four days of rain and eventually cooler temperatures.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2008, 07:27:31 AM »

Will we have to start posting photos of pin-up girls to balance out the beefcake on Pogue's behalf?  ;)

As he stays very busy and doesn't post much, I don't think so.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2008, 07:31:26 AM »

I am looking to get THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA on Blu-ray today. Disney supposedly sent it to me in overnight mail. A review needs to be posted ASAP, so I'm keeping an eye out for the mail/UPS/DHL/FedEx. I have no idea if it will get here in time.

I have only seen it once when the DVD came out a couple of years ago (I borrowed it from a friend; I didn't buy a copy for myself), so I really can't even write the movie review part of the critique since my memory isn't sharp about the movie (and I've seen quite a few other movies since then!) I see that DIsney has ported a good many of the special features from the DVD release (two commentaries, a handful of featurettes), so it will likely take me a good portion of the day to watch everything.

That means I may be recording tonight's TV shows and not be able to watch them until the weekend.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2008, 07:32:38 AM »

TV Reminder:

MOONLIGHT!

GHOST WHISPERER!

NUMB3RS!

CBS seems to be the only network left programming something other than news shows and reality stuff on Friday night.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2008, 07:34:51 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER (OCR)

DVD - THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA (Blu-ray)
          THE BIG GAY SKETCH SHOW, Season 2
           PSYCH, Season 1, disc 3

DVR - last night's SUPERNATURAL
          last night's SMALLVILLE
          last night's MY NAME IS EARL
          last night's THE OFFICE
          last night's 30 ROCK
          last night's CSI

singdaw

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2008, 07:35:51 AM »

TOD:

CD: new albums by Kelli O'Hara, Maureen McGovern, and Karen Mason
       yet another version of Bach's B Minor Mass
DVD: "The Tudors," Season 1
DVR:  last night's "Lost"

FJL

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2008, 07:36:51 AM »

Cute Paige O'Hara story:

When Skip's show Time and Again was playing in San Diego, there was one production number where the cast was decked out in green costumes, the one minor blip in an otherwise really excellent costume design.   But the green costumes (which I hear everyone thought had been an interesting idea for that number in concept) didn't work, and there was no way of coming up with entirely new costumes in time for the opening.  Indeed, the green costumes ended up being mentioned online as a surprising exception to the costume designer's fine fine work and great taste, and IIRC there were even pictures on the internet (even way back in 1996).  

So Paige O'Hara shows up at the show one matinee wearing an outfit with the exact green color of the costumes in that number; Skip talked to her, laughed, and said something like "That's the exact color of..." and she completed his thought "the costumes in the second act.  I know.  I'm wearing this in solidarity." Skip said something like "I wouldn't have imagined you'd even have something that color in your closet." Paige said, "Well, it was a bridesmaid dress"  - and both of them laughed and laughed.  

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2008, 07:37:56 AM »

Congrats to your dear Ant, DR Ben, on his casting. Those two roles are great fun in the show. (I always wanted to play Bud Frump, but, alas, time has passed me by).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2008, 07:44:13 AM »

DR CharlesPogue doesn't show up every day. Perhaps you might want to look at his posts and figure out his schedule?

I looked for one of Amy Adams' rather nude bathtowel shots but couldn't find any to post, so here's today's cheesecake.

singdaw

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2008, 07:47:26 AM »

I was at that wedding!   ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2008, 07:50:52 AM »

I was at that wedding!   ;)

Always the bridesmaid!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2008, 07:58:32 AM »

I am listening to Evening Primrose as I type.  Sounds great, though, a la All of Me, I believe Tony Perkins' vibrato migrated to Josh Groban after Perkins' demise.   :-X  When the first song started this morning, Zach asked, "What are you listening to, the "Da Da" channel?"   ;D

Here is the absolutely stunning pastel of Farmer I received yesterday--it is huge, about 3 feet by 3 feet.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2008, 08:02:43 AM »

There are a scary number of F16s flying very low over our neighborhood right now--the roar is deafening.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2008, 08:04:30 AM »

Lovely Frances art, DR JMK.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2008, 08:04:54 AM »

Heading down to get cleaned up for my usual Friday outing to do errands.

However, I got the kitchen mopped this morning before I came upstairs, so at least that awful job is done for another week!

WBBL.

JMK

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2008, 08:05:18 AM »

LOST SPOILAGE:

jkadlkdjaf peoiu adsk eafp;ija;lfjd;lsaj qpotu q5qt q94u5t dqfg ;ladkfjd;saglk ad;slkjsd g;lkadj ;dlsagjad fjkda;lfjsd ;lskgjd;sjk      wow         asd;ldjsa;ldg j;dlksgjpoqtupgjl sdkjg;lkdjqglkad jsgo;weiuqpofb d;lakjd;lgj;eltupoqeiu ad;lkgj

JMK

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2008, 08:06:19 AM »

Lovely Frances art, DR JMK.

I'm having a heckuva time getting info on the artist.  She evidently was a staff artist for the Washington Post, but Woodward and Bernstein are not returning my phone calls.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up