Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: RIDDLED WITH TYPOS  (Read 57612 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:RIDDLED WITH TYPOS
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2008, 07:56:09 PM »

The Vixter and I were in a store last week and we found a baseball cap emblazoned with the logo

Cherry Coke

I immediately thought of  Sandra ... I should have bought it for her!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2008, 07:59:09 PM »

What store was that?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2008, 08:01:12 PM »

Finished watching a motion picture on DVD and shall now type up notes from today's run-through.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2008, 08:03:32 PM »

Back from the wilds of Hartford and the lovely Bushnell Center.  THE MUSIC MAN was wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, a beautiful production of a nearly flawless musical. Much as I love Rebecca Luker, this production, which was staged in 8 days, left Strohman's revival in the dust. The entire show was performed, including the entire score and all crossovers and all dialogue. The dances were all there, perhaps more polished with more rehearsal time, but all smartly staged and wittily performed. I love the "Marian the Librarian" Dance, which is like a whiff of libido wafting through Victorian halls. Harold Hill is the great god Pan stirring up trouble among the upright uptight citizens and bringing on the vapors.

Seeing the show agan, I'm reminded how apropos the title is: "sing 'ice cream.'" "Iiiiiiice creeeeeeeam." The show's not just about a con man using musical instruments but about the music we often pass up daily in our lives and how that music can heal, repair, laugh and dance through our day. The cast was quite wonderful, Jason Graae, the fierce Mary Stout, a wonderful Mayor Shinn and Charlie Cowell played by David Coffee and Bob Freschi, an adorable Winthrop and Amaryllis, every youthful and beautful Shirley Jones, brogue and all, and Patrick Cassidy as a smooth Harold Hill who reminded me a bit of his father Jack.

Lisa Vroman was wonderful as Marian but I think I prefer my beloved Ms Luker, who can do no wrong. The school board barbershop quartet was wonderful and, after their a cappella refrain, when they and the orchestra landed on the same key for Marian's part of "Lida Rose" I wanted to dance in the aisle and weep at how wonderful it was. It was great to hear the whole score played by a wonderful orchestra.

As a bonus, I got to spend a day with the wonderful FJL, see several friends I hadn't seen in some time: I hadn't seen Ric Ryder since he played Tom the Piper's Son in BABES IN TOYLAND at the Houston Grand Opera in 1991 or Buddy Crutchfield since he recorded "Italy In Technicolor" for LOST IN BOSTON 2. Mary Stout had dinner with DR FJL and me, and I got to see Jason briefly, as well as Patrick and Miss Jones, who signed my CDs of BRIGADOON and her duets with Jack Cassidy.

Nursie Jane, I already communicated about meeting Marc Acito before the reading. He thought he'd be tied up with family and friends.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2008, 08:05:34 PM »

Glad you had such a great time DR Elmore

vixmom

« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2008, 08:08:29 PM »

I have been going to the gym every morning fro 30 - 60 minutes (as  my schedule will allow) before work and on Saturday I took the offer of a free 2 hour meeting with a personal trainer.

Byron an extensivly tatooed,   6'3" black man in his mid thirties, with shoulders as wide as I am tall  had me throwing medicine balls and lifting weights and do "squats' and "lunges" and using weight machines.  nealry 48 hours later and my thighs and upper arms still feel as if someone had taken a baseball bat to them

I must have become really and truly addicted to this idea of a "healthy lifestyle" (or perhaps I have become a masochist in my dotage) since I plan to get to the gym again tomorrow morning to inflict some more pain on myself.  I have also decided to try the  Saturday morning  "body sculpting " classes to see if they can sculpt  me into something that will a less resemble a lump of clay

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2008, 08:10:27 PM »

I have been going to the gym every morning fro 30 - 60 minutes (as  my schedule will allow) before work and on Saturday I took the offer of a free 2 hour meeting with a personal trainer.

Byron an extensivly tatooed,   6'3" black man in his mid thirties, with shoulders as wide as I am tall  had me throwing medicine balls and lifting weights and do "squats' and "lunges" and using weight machines.  nealry 48 hours later and my thighs and upper arms still feel as if someone had taken a baseball bat to them

I must have become really and truly addicted to this idea of a "healthy lifestyle" (or perhaps I have become a masochist in my dotage) since I plan to get to the gym again tomorrow morning to inflict some more pain on myself.  I have also decided to try the  Saturday morning  "body sculpting " classes to see if they can sculpt  me into something that will a less resemble a lump of clay

DRvixmom, you are an amazing lady! Good for you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2008, 08:11:57 PM »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2008, 08:12:22 PM »

IF I am watching a 16:9 enhanced DVD and using the 16:9 setting on my up convert DVD - is that why the picture fills up the screen on my HDTV and I don't have to look at the black widescreen bars?

It will fill up the screen and not have letterbox bars if the movie was shot in any aspect ratio from 1.66:1-1.85:1. If it's shot in a scope process, you'll still see letterbox bars because scope aspect ratios are still wider than the aspect ratio of modern widescreen TVs.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2008, 08:15:39 PM »

After cleaning my bathroom tonight and putting away the folded laundry, I settled in for an evening of viewing.

I began by watching the second disc in BIG GAY SKETCH SHOW set. Interviews, deleted sketches, some backstage stuff, and a bunch of previews of other Logo series available on DVD. Not as much content as I was expecting.

vixmom

« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2008, 08:16:17 PM »

DRvixmom, you are an amazing lady! Good for you.

Not really  just  determined  to be presentable for my neice's wedding this August

In my living room is the formal photgraph from the last time the entire family (on Vixdad's side) was together  several years ago... init I look like the fat lady from a sideshow.  I am determined to do my niece the honor of looking passable on her big day  

Matt H.

« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2008, 08:18:25 PM »

Next, I put in the DVD of THE VIRGIN QUEEN. I didn't start with the movie, however. I began with the documentary THE MAKING OF THE VIRGIN QUEEN. Much longer than the usual featurettes on Fox DVDs, and interesting.

Alas, no Dr. Drew Casper.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2008, 08:18:28 PM »

Perhaps I should check out my local WalMart soon.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

vixmom

« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2008, 08:20:06 PM »

Elmre the show in Hartford sounds wonderful...will it be running for a while?  The Vixter's birthday is Tuesday and I have been toying with the idea of suprising her with tickets for one show or another

I has been considering, Curtians, Xanadu and Legally Blonde as possible choices but perhaps Music Man would; be a better choice
what do you advise?

Matt H.

« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2008, 08:21:08 PM »

I then watched about 30 minutes of THE VIRGIN QUEEN. The transfer looks very nice. Not stunning like SOUTH PACIFIC or THE KING AND I, but very nice indeed.

The directionalized dialog is fairly irritating, however. Doesn't make for a natural front soundstage when someone is standing only a few inches to the right or left of another person, but their voices are coming from the left or right front speaker which seems miles away from the center channel speaker.

Matt H.

« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2008, 08:22:40 PM »

I adore THE MUSIC MAN's score. I saw the Stroman revival with Eric McCormack and Rebecca Luker, and I found it simply wonderful. It was so entertaining and directed so fluidly that I truly didn't notice the cuts, etc.

But that score! There's really nothing like it anywhere else in musical theater.

Matt H.

« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2008, 08:25:23 PM »

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES had some monumental events occur tonight.

Can't say I was surprised at all about who set the fire. We saw them eavesdropping when Tom and Lynette were arguing. Glad Edie finally got Gaby to think with a little sense. Loved the speech Susan had with Bree near the end of the episode. Very touching. Gary Cole will make an interesting addition to the cast, at least for the time being. (No one can replace Nathan Fillion, of course. He's filming a pilot for a new series, so I doubt he'll ever be back as a regular again).

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2008, 08:26:46 PM »

BROTHERS & SISTERS:

Oh, I was afraid they were going to go there with Rebecca. Stupid decision. Wonder if this is one of the reasons Robbie Baitz left the series? And lots of problems ahead for many of the Walkers, too. Wow!

vixmom

« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2008, 08:27:41 PM »

Oh-  a quick internet search shows me I have missed my chance as the last performance is now over

vixmom

« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2008, 08:30:26 PM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2008, 08:50:21 PM »

Good Evening!

After I left the birthday party, I met up with my friend, Andy, to see "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"... F-U-N-N-Y!!!!

-Jason Segel is a very talented - and very brave(!) - actor and writer.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2008, 08:50:37 PM »

DR vixmom - Brava!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2008, 08:51:59 PM »

DR elmore - Glad to hear that you and DR FJL had a wonderful time in Hartford today.  Sounds like it was just what you needed after the past couple months of mishugas.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2008, 08:57:02 PM »

In other news...

I think I'm going to hang out here in Fairfax until Tuesday evening, maybe even Wednesday morning.  There are just a bunch of people I want to catch up with up here.  Even if I head down to Richmond on Wednesday, that will give me a good day and night to catch up with everyone down there.  -I booked my flight back out of Richmond, so...  I also want to spend a little more time with my nieces and nephew tomorrow night.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2008, 09:00:51 PM »

It will fill up the screen and not have letterbox bars if the movie was shot in any aspect ratio from 1.66:1-1.85:1. If it's shot in a scope process, you'll still see letterbox bars because scope aspect ratios are still wider than the aspect ratio of modern widescreen TVs.

I don't know about you, but I get small black bars on 1.85:1 (and even 1.83:1, when it's not matted quite so widely).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2008, 09:04:44 PM »

And speaking of TVs...

I'm currently watching the Food Network on my brother's newest technological purchase: a 52" Sony LCD TV.  It's a BIG TV!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2008, 09:13:40 PM »

I don't know about you, but I get small black bars on 1.85:1 (and even 1.83:1, when it's not matted quite so widely).

Yes I do, and I get slivers of black on the sides for 1.66:1. But why confuse him with a lot of techno stuff?

Lots of people have TVs with 3%-5% overscan and don't see bars with any of the flat widescreen ratios. Luckily, I have a TV that can do 1 to 1 pixel mapping with 0% overscan.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 09:14:51 PM by Matt H. »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2008, 09:17:07 PM »

We're STILL on page six?  Most unseemly.  I've typed my notes and sent them off to the stage manager.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2008, 09:17:44 PM »

Glad to hear Music Man was stellar - our very own Adam Cates was the associate choreographer.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2008, 09:18:09 PM »

Welcome thirteen GUESTS.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up