Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RIOT ACT  (Read 23572 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE RIOT ACT
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2004, 12:56:14 AM »

I need one of them little Japanese geishas to come over and step on my back.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2004, 12:58:38 AM »

Why, dear der Brucer, I don't know WHAT you're talking about, really I don't.

Oh, but in the hidden recesses of your hardened heart - you know!

der Brucer (thinking Bk doesn't fight fair)

(Wouldn't it be nice if we could edit your galleys that easily?)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2004, 12:59:47 AM »

It's okay - I'm just giving you the Gaslight treatment.

Jed

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2004, 01:02:05 AM »

I think the little Japanese geishas charge extra for that.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

DERBRUCER

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2004, 01:14:09 AM »

I think the little Japanese geishas charge extra for that.

DR Jed, does your therapist know about these fantasies?

Inquiring minds want to know.

der Brucer (thinking we need a posting frenzy on fantasies!)

Hmm..."Fantasy Frenzies" - sounds like a sequel to "First Nudie Musical")

DERBRUCER

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2004, 01:21:22 AM »

I'll bet I'll be an better Ingrid Bergman, than you'll be a Charles Boyer.

der Brucer (announcing the casting call for BK's remake of "Gaslight")

DERBRUCER

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2004, 01:51:44 AM »

Just in from Charles Pogue's secret Mini-cam:

der Brucer (who should be in bed!)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2004, 03:37:18 AM »

I need one of them little Japanese geishas to come over and step on my back.
I have a three-year-old grandlad who could do the job...no, wait, bad idea, he runs instead of walks.  Sorry, nevermind.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2004, 04:00:27 AM »

DR Panni: You never know about meeting in person!  Der Brucer and I may have a reason to travel west, you may have cause to travel east.  We could meet in St. Louis!  

As for the punks, rest assured, they are the exception, not the rule.  Cities seem to bring them to a critical mass, which makes them bold enough to be nasty without fear of getting their proverbial knuckles rapped, but they can be found even here in the rural areas.

Still, I meet more generous people than not, and even more who respond to a friendly word and a smile.  It sounds like a cliche, but it's true, at least for me.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2004, 04:01:33 AM »

Just in from Charles Pogue's secret Mini-cam:

der Brucer (who should be in bed!)
Now THAT looks a lot more like Delaware!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2004, 04:44:04 AM »

Congratulations, SS!   ;D

Thanks TomOVOZ & MBarnum.  :D

So many wonderful - and sad things - yesterday.  Yes we have drama and comedy here at HHW!

Jule Styne is a favorite of mine - DR Noel can dissect that rhyme.

"You'll Never Get Away From Me" of course, and "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend", and the score to 'Bells Are Ringing' but especially "Perfect Relationship", "I'm Going Back", and "Little System" - not sure of that title, but it's the song about the race tracks and classical music!

Here MR BK....enjoy!  :P
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2004, 04:44:14 AM »

BK, who are Peter Schneiderman and Arthur Alan Seidelmen and what do they do?

I'll be e & t - meeting my violinist at 8:30 a.m. and I'll be lucky if rehearsal ends before midnight.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2004, 04:47:16 AM »

And here is your Allison Hayes picture of the week.

As Tonda in 'The Disembodied', she gets the drop on Paul Burke.  :o

Ben

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2004, 05:01:56 AM »

Wow, 42 posts by 8am EST. That's a switch from the usual morning posts lately. I'll be back later with more thoughts on Styne (not Stein or Stine)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2004, 05:14:06 AM »

I also dislike the words "arc" and "journey" when talking about a show.  I dislike the word "texture" when talking about a movie.

Do any other DR's have description words that they think are mis-used, over-used, or inappropriate?

MR BK - do you think the writers of the show last night just chose the wrong starting point for the presentation?  It must have had some merit, or they wouldn't have chosen it, right?  Right?  

DRMATTH is right when he says that SUNSET BOULEVARD has never really been a hit - and he is also correct, I think, when he says a lot of the appeal of the original movie was Gloria Swanson....I love it when she tells the guard:  "And teach your friend some manners, tell him without me he wouldn't even have a job, because without me there wouldn't be any studio."   ....LOL...and she was right!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 05:40:42 AM by JRand53 »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2004, 05:19:23 AM »

Well, it had to happen at some point.

Der Grampa Brucer has been called to be the ladsitter today.  His daughter's daycare's kids are all sick, or enough of them are that she was called earlier to be told "Don't bring your li'l ones in," so der Brucer is dashing off to take care of the younger one all day, and the older when he gets back from school.  

I'm staying home.  I've got to get this kitchen back in working order, if only because we're out of cookies!

::)

Kerry

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2004, 05:21:02 AM »

Panni-

Your incident last night at the coffee place is one that has happened to other people I know of-- usually outside of bars (so the accusers could say the person was drunk).  It's a scam.  If anything comes of it, get a good aggressive attorney, pics of both cars, etc.   Hopefully it won't go any further, but either way, it's a pain in the neck.  The main thing is don't let it throw you.

Maybe you and Bruce should BOTH get someone to walk on your backs.

Bruce, go get a massage and be happy.

Yes, Ben and Ant-- I loved the pic yesterday-- cute as ever!!!!!!!!

"Be a Santa," "It's A Perect Relationship," "I Fall in Love Too Easily,"  "Long Before I Knew You" and all of GYPSY.

Now, how could a man who wrote all those do something as awful as "Prettybelle"?  You get Jule Styne, Angela Lansbury, Gower Champion-- you'd think you'd have a hit.  But then it was the mid-60's, and no one knew what they were doing with musicals then.  Do you go traditional like "Hello Dolly," or do you try to be hip and appeal to a younger crowd?  There was some real drek in those years (mixed in with some great stuff, of course).
I like boat races.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2004, 05:28:32 AM »

I also hate the words "arc" and "journey" when talking about a show.  I hate the word "texture" when talking about a movie.

Do any other DR's have description words that they think are mis-used, over-used, or inappropriate?
Don't get me started on the word "hate."

Too late, you've already pushed my button.

My problem with the word is that it suggests an extreme emotional reaction, while so many people use it to mean things like "dislike" or "don't care for."  There are so many other words that can be used, but instead at the drop of the most casual hat people resort to saying "Hate it!"

Bleh.

This is made even worse by the introduction of the phrase "hate crime," which is a very real thing.  Unfortunately, because "hate" is also used to deplore the most trivial of dislikes, what "hate crime" is becomes hard to explain.  Thus, there are lawmakers who insist that "Well, every crime is a hate crime," when that isn't true.  (Typically, these lawmakers are more inclined than others to be derogatory of some of their constituents because of race, class, gender, you get the idea.)

Of course, when I point out to people the problem with the word "hate," I usually get thrown in my face that I'm trying to dictate how others use words.  Gawd, how I hate that.

:P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2004, 05:41:53 AM »

Even though the "quote" reflects the original, I have modified my post and your point is taken DR SWW.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2004, 06:24:55 AM »

Some Jule Styne favorites:

Let's See What Happens (Darling of the Day)
Long Before I Knew You, Just in Time, The Party's Over (Bells Are Ringing)
Fireworks (Do Re Mi)
Sunshine (Gentlemen Prefer Blondes)
Once in a Lifetime (Subways Are for Sleeping)
Don't Rain on My Parade (Funny Girl)
You'll Never Get Away from Me and Everything's Coming Up Roses (Gypsy)
When It Happens to You (The Red Shoes - thanks, Unsung Musicals)

And two from the movies:
I'll Walk Alone (Cahn), and on the flip side
I Don't Want to Walk Without You, Baby (Loesser)

Ben

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2004, 06:29:15 AM »

Even though I used this very word at this very site yesterday, I do think the word "brilliant" is overused. When everything from Zsa Zsa's performance in that 1950s sci-fi movie (the name escapes me but I'm sure there are many here at HHW who know to which film I refer) to 1970s television shows is labeled as "brilliant" the word loses it's special quality. It becomes just another adjective. And yes, I have a friend who insists that Zsa Zsa's performance in that movie is brilliant and he's serious about it. The word brilliant now, for me, seems to be on the same level as a standing ovation. Broadway shows routinely get standing ovations, deserving or not. People seem to think that if you don't stand you're being rude. Miss Stritch, in my humble opinion, was deserving of a standing ovation. The recent revival of Gypsy, as much as I enjoyed it, was not. But that's just my humble opinion.

Ben

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2004, 06:30:23 AM »

Ah, yes. Long Before I Knew You. What a wonderful song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2004, 06:30:55 AM »

'Queen of Outer Space"

Ben

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2004, 06:36:43 AM »

Thank you, JRand. I knew someone would be able to name that movie. It's a hoot. I laughed and laughed at it, but brilliant. I'm not so sure about that.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2004, 06:41:49 AM »

Page 2 this early in the day!

BK, didn't The Riot Act play on the same bill as George Burns and Fink's Mules on the Orphium circuit?

As I said with Sondheim, there are so many Styne songs it's hard to pick.  From his early pop-oriented movie years I'd say "I Fall In Love Too Easily"; from his Broadway years either "It's A Simple Little System" from BELLS ARE RINGING or "Don't Rain On My Parade" from FUNNY GIRL.

To those of you who mentioned "You'll Never Get Away From Me", when Styne first wrote it for the television special "Ruggles of Red Gap" it was called "I'm in Pursuit of Happiness".  He then gave the music to BK's personal friend Mr. Sondheim who wrote new lyrics to it for GYPSY.  Mr. Sondheim later said that if he had known it was a recycled song he would not have written the new version.

Last night was the first Broadway by the Year for the season... 1926.  What can you say about a year with songs and shows by George & Ira Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Rodgers & Hart (4 shows on Broadway, 1 in London and 1 nightclub revue!), Sigmund Romberg, Oscar Hammerstein II, & DeSylva, Brown & Henderson?  Only that it was impossible to sing them all in one evening.  And more and more they are doing away with the amplification.  They tried this last year with one song and the response was so great that by last night they did six or seven songs unmiked, and with Sutton Foster doing "Someone to Watch Over Me" or Marc Kudish doing selections from "The Desert Song" the results were wonderful.  The rest of the cast (Nancy Anderson, Bill Daugherty, Eddie Korbich and Nancy Opel) all had their un-miked moments too, and were just as good.  I hope that this trend will continue and by the end of the season at least half the songs will be sung that way. [The miked songs were for the most part good too, but not quite as special]
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2004, 06:43:41 AM »

After reading last night's late posts, I am reminded again that HHW is a community.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2004, 06:54:54 AM »

Sorry to say I can't really contribute in a meaningful way to the topic of the day.

ITA with Ben about the overuse of certain adjectives like "brilliant."  Another one that gets me is "genius," as in "he/she is an absolute GENIUS!!!" when speaking of, for example, someone who does window treatments on one of those ubiquitous home and garden shows.  Puh-leeze.  The person in question may be talented, or skilled, or "have an eye" (though on these shows, imo, these things probably aren't true, either), but "genius?"  Remember when that word was reserved for Albert Einstein or Copernicus or Madame Curie?  Someone who combined extraordinary intelligence with genuine contributions to the knowledge base and progress of humankind?  It might be a cute idea to put mosquito netting over your bed, but is it truly a stroke of genius?

NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2004, 07:42:33 AM »

My favorite Stynes:

"Make SOmeone Happy"

all of GYPSY but particularly "If Momma Was Married" and "You'll Never Get Away from Me"

all of BELLS ARE RINGING but especially "Long Before I Knew You" and "Just in Time."

"Bye, Bye Baby"

"Neverland"

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2004, 07:50:25 AM »

Golly, I forgot to even mention FUNNY GIRL - "The Music That Makes Me Dance," "I Want to Be Seen with You," and "Cornet Man."

Forgot to mention HALLELUJAH BABY = "My Own Morning"

I have to admit that I've never heard the scores of LOOK TO THE LILIES, TREASURE ISLAND, or THE RED SHOES, so I can't comment on them. I have PRETTYBELLE here, and I enjoyed listening to it YEARS ago, but I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable about it now to comment on any songs as favorites.

I do like "Once in a Lifetime" from SUBWAYS, and probably one or two others from that show, but again, it's one I need to take down and refamiliarize myself with.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 07:51:58 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2004, 07:57:42 AM »

I read today that the STAR WARS trilogy will be coming to DVD on September 21st with the transfers being from George Lucas' updated 1997 versions of the films.

I guess that means those widescreen laserdiscs and videotapes of the originals will really become prized collectors' items since they contain the original versions of the films which Lucas doesn't want to ever be seen again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up