Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: CINCO DE MAYO  (Read 62740 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:CINCO DE MAYO
« Reply #240 on: May 05, 2008, 03:10:58 PM »

A band singer I used to know, Dolly Dawn.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:11:13 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #241 on: May 05, 2008, 03:18:07 PM »

Delta Dawn [what's that flower you have on?]

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #242 on: May 05, 2008, 03:36:31 PM »

I'm quite surprised DR George didn't get this one:  DOLLY DIMPLES!    :)

AARRGGHH!!  Dopey me. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #243 on: May 05, 2008, 03:38:19 PM »

Happy Cinco de Mayo Birthdays also to:

1813 Søren Kierkegaard
1818 Karl Marx
1914 Tyrone Power, Jr.
1915 Alice Faye
1925 Charles Chaplin Jr.
1926 Ann B. Davis (May 3rd??)
1927 Pat Carroll
1938 Michael Murphy
1942 Tammy Wynette
1943 Michael Palin
1944 Roger Rees
1944 John Rhys-Davies
1957 Richard E. Grant
1962 James Redford (Robert’s son)
1965 Shelley Bruce
1973 Tina Yothers
1987 Ian Michael Smith (Simon Birch)

;D

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:41:08 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #244 on: May 05, 2008, 03:44:23 PM »

Dirk Diggler

Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #245 on: May 05, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »

Oh!  I almost forgot...here's me at lunch today:

:D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #246 on: May 05, 2008, 03:50:10 PM »

Good Evening!

So...  After supping at Westway, we walked up to the Ambassador Theatre to see what kind of tickets they had for tonight's performance of Chicago.  -And, yes, I printed out the discount vouchers.  The first set of seats to come up were in the last row of the orchestra.. No.  Then I asked if there was anything in the mezzanine, and there were four seats available in the center mezzanine, fourth row.  Not bad at all.

After I made sure that my parents and their friends knew exactly where the theatre was - the corner of 49th & Broadway - I pointed them in the direction of Rockefeller Center/Top of the Rock/St. Patrick's Cathedral (I think they were going to try to make the 5:30 service before the show), and sent them on their merry way.  And I headed up to Columbus Circle to grab the train back uptown.

And, again, I think this was their first trip to New York City in the past year where they did NOT eat at Burger King!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #247 on: May 05, 2008, 03:50:48 PM »

Today is also my "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxay" birthday!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #248 on: May 05, 2008, 04:04:07 PM »

Have a good time with your towel, George!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #249 on: May 05, 2008, 04:04:46 PM »

Darkwing Duck!   ("Let's get dangerous!")
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #250 on: May 05, 2008, 04:07:14 PM »

Sorry if I didn't get the list up promptly, BK.  I've been busy at work.

Oh, wait, you attributed the list to der Brucer, not me.  Never mind.

Snark snark snark.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #251 on: May 05, 2008, 04:12:46 PM »

AARRGGHH!!  Dopey me. ;)

No, dopey me would be DM.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #252 on: May 05, 2008, 04:13:51 PM »

Droopy Dawg.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #253 on: May 05, 2008, 04:14:14 PM »

Here's some news about Skip's show, Herringbone.

:)  Thanks for the link.

George

« Reply #254 on: May 05, 2008, 04:16:24 PM »

Have a good time with your towel, George!

I intend to.  Acually, right now I'm leaving work early and a little later, I'll go to my parents' for dinner.  When I get home tonight, I'll need to do some laundry and my towel definitely needs to be washed, so thanks for the reminder.

:)

Until later!

George

« Reply #255 on: May 05, 2008, 04:16:44 PM »

:)  Thanks for the link.

My pleasure.

Jane

« Reply #256 on: May 05, 2008, 04:17:04 PM »

Thanks, Ginny, the Mexican Army has now retreated; but my back is so bad now that I am trying to decide whether I should go to the doctor or straight to the hospital.

I'm very sorry about your back.  Maybe it will feel somewhat better now that the army has retreated.  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #257 on: May 05, 2008, 04:19:57 PM »

Thank you Jeanne, Jennifer, and Jane for your good wishes.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #258 on: May 05, 2008, 04:24:16 PM »

Well, once when 3 generations of my family were traveling in 3 separate cars, that's the handle my father and brother-in-law gave me (the 3rd driver) when they were conversing over their CB radios.  As in, "Dewey Decimal's lagging behind, good buddy."

Cute :)

Jane

« Reply #259 on: May 05, 2008, 04:26:11 PM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

8)

Jane

« Reply #260 on: May 05, 2008, 04:29:54 PM »

DR George-The birthday photo is great! :D
I'm not sure how much you were enjoying having your nose frosted ;D

Jane

« Reply #261 on: May 05, 2008, 04:31:58 PM »

And, again, I think this was their first trip to New York City in the past year where they did NOT eat at Burger King!  :)

Thank goodness!  I find it nice to read they ate elsewhere. ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #262 on: May 05, 2008, 04:45:07 PM »

It's adventure time again.  I'm switching jobs.

I'm still at the store, but I'll be working upstairs in the office for three days every week.  I'll be handling the store's billing.

What's happened is that Super Giant has opened another store nearby, in Long Neck.  Over the last few months, while the Long Neck store was being built and while our store was being remodeled, we've been helping train many of the people who will be working at the new store.  A number of our people have also switched to the new store - it's much closer to where they live.

One of the people switching stores is Sandy, a merry and crotchety soul who has been handling our billing for the last couple of years.  About a month ago, it was decided that Larry, one of our front-end managers, would take over Sandy's job, and he started training for it at about that time.

It was not to last.  Larry's long-time partner, David, died suddenly last fall.  His mother has had serious health problems.  And in the last month, Larry started to develop back problems.  The spasms were so bad that he had to go to the hospital once.  And he's been complaining about how unhappy he is with the job assignment, and that he wants nothing more than to retire (something that he'd been talking about before David died).

Well, the Long Neck store opened last Friday.  We've new hires taking the place of the checkers and front-end people who made the move, while those of us who have stayed with the Rehoboth Beach store have moved up.  I was a little puzzled by some of the upwards movement - a couple of people who have been with the store for a while, but were still junior to me, were booted up into front-end supervisory jobs.  I actually mentioned this to our new front end boss, Stacey, who reminded me of the wierd and long hours those people have.  No, I probably wouldn't be too happy with a position like that.

I then mentioned that I would like to be trained for the billing desk, thinking that I could be Larry's back-up, that I might get the training sometime later during the summer.  Stacey said she'd take it up with the store manager.

That was Saturday.

Yesterday, Larry was back in the hospital, stressed out and in agony.  I got in to the store and Stacey was waiting to see me - could I start training to take over the billing desk on Monday?

So, today I started training.

It's more than a little daunting.  I haven't shuffled paper like this for years.  There's a lot of it, with lots of numbers on invoices and dollar signs in the appropriate boxes.  Just making sure the appropriate bills get paid on time would seem to be a full-time job.  I'll also be dealing with errors in billing that the vendors sometimes make, and double-checking the orders that the various department heads receive.  And it's not full-time - instead it's three eight-hour days a week.  I'll still be working as a checker on the other days.

The training Sandy is giving me started today, and will be continuing through the week.  She's happy that I'm already computer literate (Larry was not), and have some experience with filing and organization.  Still, the best word I can think of to describe what I'm feeling is daunted.  I know I can do the job, I just don't know how fast my learning curve is going to be.

I've already had to make one change.  I haven't worn a watch for years, but the room I'll be working in doesn't sport a clock on the wall.  Tonight, after work, der B and I went to WalMart where I found something cheap to put on my arm.  Unfortunately, not a euphamism.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #263 on: May 05, 2008, 04:47:10 PM »

Oh, our grand re-opening is Friday.  Just in time for Mother's Day.

Be nice to your Mom.  Buy her a steak.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #264 on: May 05, 2008, 04:48:41 PM »

Hmm... For just $2.65, I can get from the Long Beach Airport to Los Feliz on the Metro Rail Blue and Red Lines.  The trip is only supposed to take an hour and a half.  If I take the Super Shuttle Shared Ride service, it would be $46.00 each way, and could take up to two and a half hours to get from the airport to Los Feliz depending how many other passenger drop-offs there are.  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #265 on: May 05, 2008, 04:56:10 PM »

Hmm... For just $2.65, I can get from the Long Beach Airport to Los Feliz on the Metro Rail Blue and Red Lines.  The trip is only supposed to take an hour and a half....
But the Long Beach Airport is nowhere near the Metro Rail Blue Line.  And I don't remember any busses stopping right next to the airport terminal, either.  Still, a taxi from the terminal to where you can catch the Blue Line shouldn't be that destructive to your budget.

(Neat, knowing someone who knows what public transportation is like in Long Beach, isn't it!   :D)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #266 on: May 05, 2008, 05:14:12 PM »

But the Long Beach Airport is nowhere near the Metro Rail Blue Line.  And I don't remember any busses stopping right next to the airport terminal, either.  Still, a taxi from the terminal to where you can catch the Blue Line shouldn't be that destructive to your budget.

(Neat, knowing someone who knows what public transportation is like in Long Beach, isn't it!   :D)

There are two busses that run from LGB - well, at least a nearby corner (Lakewood & Spring) - to Willow Station on the Blue Line.  And according to LGB's website, the average cab fare from the airport to the metro station would run around $12.00.  Not bad.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #267 on: May 05, 2008, 05:28:49 PM »

I know you don't have any problems with walking, Jose, but getting from the airport terminal to the corner of Lakewood and Spring is more than a little hike.  Take the taxi.

singdaw

« Reply #268 on: May 05, 2008, 05:29:08 PM »

DR SWW  -  What an exciting development!   CONGRATULATIONS.  Yes, change is a bit scary.  But good for you!  :)

singdaw

« Reply #269 on: May 05, 2008, 05:29:19 PM »

Dippity Doo.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up