Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE ROLLER SKATE COVERED WITH 1000 ISLAND DRESSING  (Read 64037 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:ONE ROLLER SKATE COVERED WITH 1000 ISLAND DRESSING
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2008, 07:29:55 AM »

After that fairly dreadful CAMELOT last night, I, too, will take DR Elmore's lead and pull out the Original Broadway Cast recording and listen to the songs the way they were meant to be sung.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

singdaw

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 07:31:59 AM »

Aunt Edna suddenly found herself one sandwich short of a picnic.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2008, 07:33:48 AM »

Just another anonymous Abercrombie & Fitch live store model...  Yawn!    ;)

No phone number! - Will you never learn....

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2008, 07:35:37 AM »

Page Two Cowardly Lion Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2008, 07:36:24 AM »

TV Reminders:

MOONLIGHT!

GHOST WHISPERER!

NUMB3RS!

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2008, 07:38:14 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - CAMELOT (OCR)

DVD - NATIONAL TREASURE (Blu-ray)
          NATIONAL TREASURE: BOOK OF SECRETS (Blu-ray)
          J.A.G. - Season 6

DVR - last night's SMALLVILLE
          last night's THE OFFICE
          last night's 30 ROCK
          last night's CSI
          last night's GREY'S ANATOMY
          MORAN OF THE LADY LETTY

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2008, 07:40:40 AM »

No phone number! - Will you never learn....

der Brucer

All he needs to do is make a 1-900 call.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:49:34 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 07:46:08 AM »

What little I saw/heard of "Camelot" last night, I have to say that the OBC and the movie on DVD are tons better.  The OBC is perfection for the vocals.  For orchestrations and proof of the sheer glory of the score, nothing beats the magnificent Alfred Newman supervision of the movie soundtrack.  I barely recognized the Investiture sequence, musically.  The phrasing was a bit off, IMO.  The film's investiture sequence is one of the astounding glories of musical film.  Oh, well...

And what was anyone thinking when they thunk of Gabriel Byrne for Arthur?  (And what was Lerner thinking with al those nicknames liberally spread throughout the book?  Lance, Ginny, Pelli, Lance, Pelli, Ginny, etc., etc.).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2008, 07:47:01 AM »

It's finally Friday here in Oakland CA.

I can't speak for anywhere else, though.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2008, 07:48:43 AM »

I watched "Survivor" (stupid Erik, stupid, stupid, stupid), "Gray's Anatomy" (good episode, except for what seems to be a "cop-out"), and "Lost" (GREAT episode, IMO) last night.

I have "Smallville", "Ugly Betty", and "Supernatural" waiting patiently in my DVR cache.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2008, 07:57:47 AM »

NOT REALLY SPOILAGE, BUT FOR YOU ULTRA-SENSITIVE TYPES, HERE'S SOME SPACE ANYWAY DEPARTMENT:

Yes, I think this "Survivor" will go down as the one with the stupidest group of men ever.  And that's saying a lot.

"Lost" was interesting.  I'm wondering if "Emily" is going to pop up again.  What are various theories re:  Christian & Claire?  Ghosts?  And I think this now confirms that Richard Alpert (does anyone get that joke?  Or am I the only Baba Ram Dass/Timothy Leary aficianado here?) is "ageless."  I know we talked about this when he appeared to the young Ben some time ago.

MORE SPACE SO THAT JOSE'S HEAD DOESN'T EXPLODE.   :o
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:58:23 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2008, 08:00:52 AM »

TOD:

CD:  Capercaillie (DakotaCelt, are you listening?)
DVD:  just finished up a bunch of review stuff, including a 3 DVD set called "Women & Spirituality," a set of late 80s early 90s Canadian documentaries where I was surprised to see Gabe and Zach's former Sunday School teacher listed as a Production Assistant!  Now I'm on to something called The Ruth Rendell Mysteries, which so far is proving to be less than Christie-tastic.  :)  I also have to finish up John Dexter's production of Twelfth Night.  Tommy Steele is actually quite charming, against all possible odds.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2008, 08:02:06 AM »

MORE SPACE SO THAT JOSE'S HEAD DOESN'T EXPLODE.   :o

Given his reports out of L.A. the past couple of days, it's not his head that is in danger of exploding.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2008, 08:07:14 AM »

"So...what do YOU think of DR MBarnum?"

photo:   Rafta, Rafta

(Note: no clue on who the names of the individuals are but here goes poetic license...)

Ramya: Mr. Barnum is a charming individual
Kal: Really, what about me?
Ramya:  Well....... You are nice too!
Kal: But can he dance and sing?
Ramya; I dont know.... but he is still a charming person

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2008, 08:08:50 AM »

TOD:

DVD:
MAN OR GUN
TWINKLE IN GOD'S EYE

DVR:
Last nights Survivor and The Office
Monday nights Rules of Engagement

CD:
Bollywood Disco
Bollywood Jazz

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2008, 08:10:35 AM »

TOD:

CD:  Capercaillie (DakotaCelt, are you listening?)

One of my favorite groups. They did some of the music for "Blood is Strong" documentary a number of years ago.

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2008, 08:12:23 AM »

I have survived the last 6 weeks of brutality... The paper and the final are done. I feel brain damaged, drained, etc...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2008, 08:14:58 AM »

Media check....

DVD: A Mighty Wind
VCR: Search for Tomorrow...
CD: Capercaillie, 20th Anniversary Collection from Green Linnet REcords.
Computer: Brain from Planet X

singdaw

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2008, 08:16:14 AM »

I was surprised to see Gabe and Zach's former Sunday School teacher listed as a Production Assistant!

The fact that they had to "quit the business" immediately after they worked with your sons is merely a coincidence.   ;)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2008, 08:16:49 AM »

ATTN: Doctor Who fans.....

In the next episode airing in the UK, one of the guests on the show is Peter Davison's daughter Georgia Moffett.

singdaw

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2008, 08:17:38 AM »

The paper and the final are done.

CONGRATULATIONS, DR DakotaCelt.  May you find rest and rejuvenation!

singdaw

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2008, 08:19:06 AM »

it's not his head that is in danger of exploding.

;D

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2008, 08:20:56 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS, DR DakotaCelt.  May you find rest and rejuvenation!

I shall.. Relaxing this weekend... and reading a fun book...

JMK

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2008, 08:21:21 AM »

The fact that they had to "quit the business" immediately after they worked with your sons is merely a coincidence.   ;)

Vice versa, actually.  The films were done between 89-92.  Gabe was born in 1996 and Zach in 1998, so they probably started Sunday School around 2001 or 2002.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2008, 08:22:22 AM »

What little I saw/heard of "Camelot" last night, I have to say that the OBC and the movie on DVD are tons better.  The OBC is perfection for the vocals.  For orchestrations and proof of the sheer glory of the score, nothing beats the magnificent Alfred Newman supervision of the movie soundtrack.  I barely recognized the Investiture sequence, musically.  The phrasing was a bit off, IMO.  The film's investiture sequence is one of the astounding glories of musical film.  Oh, well...

And what was anyone thinking when they thunk of Gabriel Byrne for Arthur?  (And what was Lerner thinking with al those nicknames liberally spread throughout the book?  Lance, Ginny, Pelli, Lance, Pelli, Ginny, etc., etc.).

To be honest, I think I will likely delete CAMELOT on the DVR without watching the rest of it. I was just so disappointed and irritated with the whole mess.

I do love Newman's Oscar-winning orchestrations for the film (wish the singers were up to their level of expertise).

In fact, CAMELOT is another musical I'd love to see redone correctly on film. I have no clue who'd be the right director for the project, however.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2008, 08:23:21 AM »

Heading down now to clean up to do my Friday errands.

WBBL.

JMK

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2008, 08:25:08 AM »

I do love Newman's Oscar-winning orchestrations for the film (wish the singers were up to their level of expertise).

In fact, CAMELOT is another musical I'd love to see redone correctly on film. I have no clue who'd be the right director for the project, however.

Oooh--oooh--Baz Luhrman?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2008, 08:27:46 AM »

After that fairly dreadful CAMELOT last night, I, too, will take DR Elmore's lead and pull out the Original Broadway Cast recording and listen to the songs the way they were meant to be sung.

I think one of the reasons I'm so outraged over the CAMELOT debacle was that you lucky viewers saw it for free. My ticket cost $225! I think the entire audience should demand the Philharmonic refund the money.  Everyne was so excited after last year's MY FAIR LADY, which was well-cast and did most of the score, but James Brennan directed the MFL, not the unclassy Mr Price.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2008, 08:27:50 AM »

I, too, love the Camelot orchestrations (and the gorgeous vocal arrangements by Ken Darby).  I think Camelot and Finian's Rainbow are the apex of Darby's film achievements.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2008, 08:32:13 AM »

Well, DR Ron Pulliam, for the investiture, you heard my beloved Trude Rittman's underscoring from the original production. Loewe adored her so much that he provided for her in his will; she'd worked with him from BRIGADOON through the end of Lerner & Loewe.  Someone yesterday produced on Broadwayworld.com a sound tape of the entire Morgan le Fey sequence from 1960 with M'el Dowd and Roddy McDowell, including all of Trude's dance music for the court of Morgan le Fey and a complete "Persuasion" and it was a sheer delight to hear it all conducted by Franz Allers.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up