Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BODICE RIPPER  (Read 54869 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE BODICE RIPPER
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2008, 09:47:34 AM »

I've just reminded der B that DR Jose is currently in Los Angeles, and therefor visiting a different Union Station.

You are correct, DR SWW.

Additionally, it is Union Square Station in NYC, but just plain ole Union Station in LA (and DC too).
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2008, 09:49:31 AM »

Well, if it's a food festival, DR Jose, the decision is made!

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »

I'm don't this have been posted here before... But if it has... Keep moving...  ;)

The Ack Attack's "Lost" Season 3 Recap

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2008, 10:02:03 AM »

Yesterday's grand re-opening went well enough.  There were plenty of suits from the regional office taking a break for officizing but not in intimidating everyone else.  There were plenty of compliments about how nice the store looks now - much brighter and somehow larger.  The one negative was a DJ equipped with too many disco-arranged hits from the past and a volume knob that had no settings lower than eleven.  There were a number of complaints from our older customers about him.

I should get myself to the store, for next week's schedule and the stuff I'll need for tonight's dinner.  Dang, that soup recipe sounds good.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2008, 10:14:42 AM »

Congrats on the successful re-opening, Woody!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2008, 10:15:45 AM »

I'll pass on the congratulations, George.  Thank-you.

George

« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2008, 10:16:48 AM »

Let me just say one thing:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!![/size][/move]

>:(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2008, 10:28:15 AM »

Hmm, would you care to elaborate, DR George?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2008, 10:34:23 AM »

So on Thursday, I recorded the concert version of Camelot on my new hi-def DVR, but there was a two-minute section that went black and was silent. :P So, I set the hi-def DVR to re-record the re-broadcast this morning but when I woke up, it had a "Hard Drive Full" message on the screen!!  It didn't record ANY of the re-broadcast!  I checked my non-hi-def DVR that I have in my bedroom (I set it to record the exact same program...but not in hi-def) but it didn't record the first 40 minutes or so!!!  What's that all about??  The only consolation is that the non-hi-def DVR started recording the re-broadcast at a place before the original hi-def broadcast screwed up, so I should be able to patch together a complete (if not completely hi-def) version. :-\

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2008, 10:35:32 AM »

DR George - Maybe your DVR didn't like Camelot either?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2008, 10:36:18 AM »

OH!

I just remembered that since it's Saturday, they have tamales at Yuca's!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2008, 10:48:03 AM »

I got up at eight-forty-five, decided that was foolish and went back to bed and just got up fifteen minutes ago.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2008, 10:48:15 AM »

Will we never get to page five?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2008, 10:48:56 AM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.

George

« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2008, 11:05:02 AM »

DR George - Maybe your DVR didn't like Camelot either?  ;)

Well...there is that. ::)

;D

George

« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2008, 11:06:53 AM »

Now, I'm leaving for work.  I want to get in a couple of hours, even though I won't be able to make up all the time from this week. ::)

Later this afternoon, Larry, my sister's boyfriend and I are going to a Seattle Storm women's basketball pre-season game.  It should be fun. :)

Have a good day, all!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2008, 11:36:12 AM »

Goodness, I think I gained 5 pounds just looking at those photos. ;D  Keith would love those fat onion rings.  I wouldn't say no to them even though I prefer the skinny ones.  The cake looked scrumptius.  

I enjoyed the shot of the theater, Jose you looked good too ;)

Jane

« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2008, 11:37:33 AM »

Yea! for DD Sherlock's paw!   :)

The antibiotic powder has sped up the healing process.  Today the "whatever" is about half the size it was on Monday :D

Jane

« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2008, 11:46:27 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR SAMANTHA!

HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY!

Jane

« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2008, 11:50:39 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I don't believe I shall be heading to Pasadena today... I'm really just not up for meeting 40-50 "cousins" whom I've never met before. :-\

*If my brother, Jay, was coming up today from San Diego, I would probably hop on the Gold Line this morning, but... Eh...

I'm sorry your brother won't be there.  I won't be surprised if you enjoy yourself & meet some nice cousins.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2008, 11:59:17 AM »

My DH makes a mean summer squash soup in a crock pot.

Woody makes his soup in the kitchen; he's too large to fit in the crock pot.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2008, 12:15:33 PM »

It's interesting that it's for people to whom spelling comes easily that spelling by others becomes so important.

No one can be more critical than I about spelling errors, and I was basically a terrible speller; it has only been through years of hard work that I have become fairly proficient - my salvation is that I can usually spot a potentially misspelled word and can check on it. Spending years doing crossword puzzles helps.

When I was involved in hiring, a resume with a spelling or punctuation error was almost automatically put in the reject file. However, I never faulted workers for errors in drafts - getting it right for publication was all that mattered.
Spelling is important only to people who wish to be considered educated.

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2008, 12:29:01 PM »

I think the point of that ATC poster was that only people who are good at spelling would find it OK to consider spelling THAT important.  Der B, your use of the words "considered educated" is an indication of a societal standard, and i wonder whether it needs to be questioned, as do many societal standards.  

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 12:49:28 PM by FJL »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2008, 12:42:05 PM »

I'm sorry your brother won't be there.  I won't be surprised if you enjoy yourself & meet some nice cousins.

Well... Truth be told, sometimes my "Filipino Heritage" in large doses can be hard to deal with.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2008, 12:44:55 PM »

Goodness, I think I gained 5 pounds just looking at those photos. ;D  Keith would love those fat onion rings.  I wouldn't say no to them even though I prefer the skinny ones.  The cake looked scrumptius.  

I enjoyed the shot of the theater, Jose you looked good too ;)

Aw, thanks, DR Jane.

"Excuse me... But does this cake make my butt look fat?"

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2008, 12:51:04 PM »

Der B, your words "considered educated" is an indication of a societal standard, and i wonder whether it needs to be questioned, as do many societal standards.  

I presume you mean the questioning as to whether or not it should be a standard. My experience is that people who fail to meet the societal standards do so either through ignorance, carelessness, or lack of concern. In any event, there are consequences. Who knows how many potential Nobel Laureates I condemned to the reject pile because of sloppy proofing. The "failing" may have been mine, but it was the applicant that suffered.

Now I must admit, my rather cavalier attitude could be dampened if there were insufficient "good-spelling" candidates.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 01:25:10 PM by DERBRUCER »

FJL

« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2008, 01:06:50 PM »

Der B - You captured my quote before I corrected my grammatical error.  How did you do that????

DERBRUCER

« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2008, 01:20:27 PM »

THE ATLANTIC-ANDREW SULLIVAN

Are You A David Archuleta Or A Jason Castro?
David Cook is a fantastic poseur, very talented but so obviously straining for Seriousness it's painful to watch at times. There are few people as sad as rock performers who think they are philosophers - especially those who don't have a drug habit. He's obviously the smartest performer, and probably the most all-round  talented one, but who wants to encourage the pretension?

And then Jason Castro: the kid who didn't really want to be there. How wonderful was that? Stoners the world over tuned in to see what this young, dreadlocked, mellow charmer would do next. I was blown away by his "Over The Rainbow" but his singing in general is pretty weak and his main attraction was his sweet-eyed nonchalance, his obvious ambivalence to the commercial cheesiness of the show, his indifference to the cult of celebrity and vanity and ambition that Idol represents. He actually seemed comfortable being himself. He didn't need this shebang. And to see that personal security on network television - a walking (well, meandering) rebuke to the need for external validation and celebrity culture - evoked pure wonder. I was smitten.

And then poor David Archuleta. He is obviously the best singer in the competition, is almost certainly going to win it, but just as obviously is totally lost. If Castro was indifferent to the process, Archuleta seems as if his entire life has been directed toward it. Clips show him crashing the show years ago; he won his first singing competition at 10 years' old, and is a veteran Star Search competitor. The kid is still only 17 years' old. He has, alas, a classic over-bearing show-biz dad, who has now been banned from backstage. David looks to me like a Michael Jackson in the making: a brilliant talent sacrificed to the cult of celebrity and stardom at so young an age that his own emotional and spiritual development has been frozen. When he is asked to speak, he has nothing to say, except a Bambi-style mode of total humility, amazement and innocence. I feel for him and it's had not to hope someone could still rescue him from the machine that is about to consume him.

Between Jason Castro and David Archuleta, you see two ways of living in the world: one sacrificed to external recognition and one indifferent to it. We all have a bit of each in us in this tabloid, celebrified world. But Jason, to my mind, will probably live a much happier life. And he'll know, at some level, why. There's a lesson in there somewhere - even on a reality show.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2008, 01:24:28 PM »

Der B - You captured my quote before I corrected my grammatical error.  How did you do that????

Just fast on the trigger :D (If you must edit, then I would caitalize "i")

der Brucer

singdaw

« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2008, 01:25:07 PM »

This morning I finished reading Marc Acito's How I Paid for College;

That's funny; I just finished re-reading it this afternoon in preparation for starting in on the new sequel!   :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up