Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FOR ALL YOU MOTHERS OUT THERE IN THE DARK  (Read 56687 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FOR ALL YOU MOTHERS OUT THERE IN THE DARK
« on: May 11, 2008, 12:41:00 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had the qualities of a fine mother, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're a bunch of mothers, too.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 12:31:08 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:FOR ALL YOU MOTHERS OUT THERE IN THE DARK
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 12:41:58 AM »

And the word of the day is: BABBITT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 12:43:10 AM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 12:43:20 AM »

I gotta tell you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 12:43:28 AM »

Won't anyone come out to play?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 12:43:38 AM »

Finding anything interesting?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 01:15:09 AM »

Thank you for the travel vibes yesterday. They worked; I arrived home safely.

We had a direct flight to Fresno. But we had three flights home: to San Francisco, to LAX, and to Phoenix. One of them was a 30-seat plane.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 01:15:32 AM »

Make that thirteen GUESTS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 01:15:46 AM »

Were you in LA, dear reader Laura?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 01:16:09 AM »

Well, it is late and I must to bed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 01:16:39 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to Robin - I think I have some memory of Robin.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 01:24:14 AM »

I think we're about five for five, review-wise, with this, our latest - he saw a preview, and yes, the pacing problems were worked out by opening night.

'The Brain From Planet X' spoofs '50s sci-fi in Anaheim Hills
The musical's O.C. premiere uses short, kicky scenes and songs to parody the genre.
By ERIC MARCHESE
SPECIAL TO THE REGISTER
Comments  | Recommend
Genre spoofs are tricky animals, forcing writers onto a tightrope with diehards on one side and those unfamiliar with the turf on the other.
It's therefore good to report that the 2006 musical "The Brain from Planet X" scores high marks from nearly every perspective. The show's creators, David Wechter and Bruce Kimmel, knew exactly what kind of wacky note they wanted to strike, then consistently made every facet of the show – its characters, dialogue, melodies, song lyrics, visuals and overall tone – strike that note.
In case you hadn't guessed, "Planet X" is a sci-fi spoof – or, more accurately, a parody of such '50s classics as "Invaders from Mars" and the spectacularly awful, champion golden turkey "Plan Nine from Outer Space."
Not only is the Chance Theater's kicky staging the show's Orange County premiere; the production is also part of this year's Festival of New American Musicals, one of only two full-fledged stagings in Orange County (the other is at South Coast Repertory). The fact that the Chance was able to snag Kimmel as director is simply icing on the cake.
Kimmel's opening weekend staging showed rough spots in pacing that presumably will be ironed out early in the run. He wrote the majority of the music and lyrics and co-wrote the libretto with Wechter, who also co-wrote two of the songs. Wisely, the duo keep both songs and scenes brief and punchy.
"Planet X" accurately spoofs an array of '50s sci-fi flicks. More critically, it also parodies the social milieu of the era itself. The resulting show is campy, cornball fun, with loads of pop culture references sprinkled into a story of a stereotypical 1950s nuclear family and their neighbors' encounter with outer space aliens.
The play's nuclear family are the Bunsens, headed by Fred (Bob Simpson), who works at the local defense plant and, at home, cheerfully patronizes his bubbly wife Joyce (Allison Appleby) and teen daughter Donna (Shannon Cudd).
Of course, it's no coincidence that they live in the San Fernando Valley and that the year is 1958, the same place and time as "Plan Nine from Outer Space." As in that film, a small crew from a distant galaxy are determined to conquer Earth, starting with the Valley.
The emotionless crew consists of Yoni (Emily Clark), who sports a tall, blue Marge Simpson 'do, and Zubrick (Daniel Berlin), a pudgy, finicky wimp who sneers that earthlings are nothing but "stupid." Their blueprint for conquest? "Plan Ten."
Their leader, The Brain (Mark Rothman), has a head that's literally a huge cerebrum – but with his huge, rounded spectacles, gaping stare, Yiddish speech rhythms and constant kvetching, he's more of an intergalactic Catskills standup comic.
In some scenes, Kimmel and Wechter score the trifecta, spoofing sci-films, the 1950s and the 2000s. To wit: A high-ranking military official repeatedly mispronounces the word nuclear as "nuke-you-ler." Fred rhapsodizes that the world 50 years hence, in 2008, will be free of crime, war, famine and disease and that "the air will be clean and gasoline will be free!" One character even quips, "Next you'll be telling me that women and Negroes are running for president!"
"The Brain from Planet X" is also a glorious salute to the great American musical, with the same satiric air and sexy style as "The Producers" and the same nostalgic feel as "Little Shop of Horrors," another great musical based on a schlocky '50s sci-fi flick. The show taps a broad palette of musical styles, including soft rock; 1950s jazz; patter songs; striptease music; vaudeville revue and even a socko, Broadway-style tap dance number replete with oompa-loompa-like aliens.
As in many '50s sci-fi films, human emotion, considered crude, primitive instinct by the aliens, wins out, and the big Finale Ultimo is joyous and cornily patriotic.
Simpson and Appleby tap an SNL vein, with Fred a Bill Murray sort and Joyce akin to a Laraine Newman persona. Clark's slinky, steamingly sexy vamp and Rothman's Yiddish-theater delivery are the most consistently funny, but every cast member gets his or her share of laughs. Michael Irish is hyper-serious – and just plain hyper – as the kind of narrator frequently tapped by Ed Wood ostensibly to legitimize a bizarre tale ("what you're about to see is shockingly realistic!"), but actually only helping mock it.
The offstage combo of Bill Strongin (piano), Lonn Hayes (percussion) and Ross Craton (reeds) are all the show's score needs to score. Though Masako Tobaru's set design and her and Kimmel's deliberately cheeseball special effects are just right, the sound scheme (Dave Mickey and Mitchell Kohen), lighting (KC Wilkerson) and choreography (Adam Cates) cannot be overlooked.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 01:36:39 AM »

I was in LAX for about 40 minutes.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 01:37:31 AM »

We boarded the little jet around 10:45 p.m.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 01:58:12 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm... Well, I haven't been to bed yet, so I'm still up.  -Gotta love those time zones!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 02:00:43 AM »

So, when I headed out earlier, I decided to head to Hollywood for some sight-seeing.  -And as it turned out, a whole lotta walking(!!!!).  I hopped on the Red Line at Sunset/Vermont, hopped off at Hollywood/Vine, then just started walking here and walking there.

Along the way, I came across some "friends":

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 02:01:08 AM »

And just because...

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 02:04:59 AM »

Basically, I walked down Hollywood Blvd. to La Brea.  Then I turned around walked down the other side of Hollywood Blvd.  When I got the huge Hollywood/Highland complex - home of the Kodak Theater - I came across this:

Then I continued along Hollywood Blvd.  Then once I got to Vine, I turned left, walked up to Yucca, crossed the street, then walked down the other side of Vine.  Once I was back at Hollywood, I took a right and continued until the "stars" stopped.  Then I crossed the street, and walked down the other side, then when I got back to Vine, I took a right... and, well, you get the picture:  I walked the whole Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Whew!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 02:06:39 AM »

Well, I kept wandering here and there... Down to Sunset and Ivar to stop in at Amoeba - where I bought nothing.  Then I zig-zaaged back up and over to La Brea...

Then continued walking down La Brea...

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 02:08:08 AM »

After walking past a Ralph's where there were about six policemen with the their guns drawn(!!), I hopped on a bus - the 212 - down to Pico.

Once I was down at Pico, I stopped in here:

Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 02:09:59 AM »

...We had a direct flight to Fresno. But we had three flights home...One of them was a 30-seat plane.
Cozy!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 02:13:17 AM »

After walking past a Ralph's where there were about six policemen with the their guns drawn(!!), I hopped on a bus - the 212 - down to Pico.

Once I was down at Pico, I stopped in here:

Terrible writing on the wall, thanks to a bad font choice.  It almost looks like the place is called "Theatre Thertea."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 02:13:59 AM »

-And as DR PennyO indicated "last night", I attended a performance of Compleat Female Stage Beauty by Jeffrey Hatcher which was being presented by Rogue Machine theatre company.  -With our very own PennyO serving as musical director, musician and actress.

And, as promised, here are some pictures of the post-show reunion:

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 02:15:07 AM »

A good review of the Evening Primrose CD has been posted by Serkin over at Playbill.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 02:16:22 AM »

:)
Lovely to look at, delightful to know.

Both of you.

;D

:-*

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008, 02:19:38 AM »

There appears to be something in the contract that any MOZ (Mother of Zubrick) attend the show multiple times.

If this was a television episode...

On Friends, it would be "The One With Zubrick's Mother."

On The Wild, Wild West, it would be "Night of Zubrick's Mother."

On The Man From U.N.C.L.E., it would be "The Zubrick's Mother Affair."

I kinda like that one.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 02:23:05 AM »

And the word of the day is: BABBITT!
Bugs Bunny was a wascally wabbit.

Elmer Fudd was a befuddled babbitt.

Enough said.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2008, 02:28:42 AM »

Tis close to time for me to get to work.  I'm running the self-scan registers again today.

But I haven't a clue as to the rest of my schedule for this week.  Sandy, the former billing clerk at our store who is supposed to be training me, has not given us a hint as to her schedule for this week, and I need to match my schedule to hers if I'm to get any real training done.  Figures.

It doesn't help that she's territorial, and inclined to saying "Do things this way" without giving a hint as to why they should be done that way.  I'm goal oriented.  I like to know where I'm going.  And I like to know the whys.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2008, 02:32:10 AM »

Laters, George.  Laters, Jose.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2008, 02:33:43 AM »

Th-th-thu-th-th-thu-th-th-thu-th-th-thu-th-th-That's All, Folks!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up