Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIRDS  (Read 121069 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE BIRDS
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2008, 11:21:45 AM »

So naturally the local post office was SOLD OUT of one cent stamps yesterday.  I know, I know, I should have planned ahead!

I went to Costco yesterday and noticed that the price of their 100-pack of the forever stamps DID NOT go up!  They were still $41. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

singdaw

« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2008, 11:23:49 AM »

That's the title of my next protest folk ballad:  I Won't Be Going to Issaquah...  ;)

George

« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2008, 11:25:45 AM »

Good thing we already rearranged the mini-Seattle-get-together to be next Thursday.   I won't be going to Issaquah until next week.

Yay!  And I suppose that I should actually order tickets for next Saturday's performance! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2008, 11:26:44 AM »

singdaw - Just watch.  Thanks to your paraphrasing, someone's going to get confused and think I'm not going to Issaquah at all.

:)

George

« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2008, 11:29:19 AM »

By the way, for those who are interested, the ION network is showing the Quantum Leap episode that involves "Man of La Mancha," tonight at 9:00 PM.  I've never seen it, though heard about it, so will have my DVR recording it.

That channel is not available in this area. :-\

The first time that I was in a production of Man of La Mancha, this episode was broadcast during our rehearsal time.  I didn't get to see it until many years later.  I loved this episode.  And I didn't know that Michele Pawk was in it, along with Janine Turner and John Cullum, who both went on to be in "Northern Exposure" together.  What a coinky-dink! :D

George

« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »

Colony Records is not showing the Evening Primrose CD on their website.

I wonder what they're selling it for in the store. ::)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2008, 11:37:03 AM »

I went for a hike today. I forgot my camera & got these photos from our local newspaper.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2008, 11:39:05 AM »

NY TIMES

Italian’s Detention Illustrates Dangers Foreign Visitors Face

He was a carefree Italian with a recent law degree from a Roman university. She was “a totally Virginia girl,” as she puts it, raised across the road from George Washington’s home. Their romance, sparked by a 2006 meeting in a supermarket in Rome, soon brought the Italian, Domenico Salerno, on frequent visits to Alexandria, Va., where he was welcomed like a favorite son by the parents and neighbors of his girlfriend, Caitlin Cooper.

But on April 29, when Mr. Salerno, 35, presented his passport at Washington Dulles International Airport, a Customs and Border Protection agent refused to let him into the United States. And after hours of questioning, agents would not let him travel back to Rome, either; over his protests in fractured English, he said, they insisted that he had expressed a fear of returning to Italy and had asked for asylum.

Ms. Cooper, 23, who had promised to show her boyfriend another side of her country on this visit — meaning Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon — eventually learned that he had been sent in shackles to a rural Virginia jail. And there he remained for more than 10 days, locked up without charges or legal recourse while Ms. Cooper, her parents and their well-connected neighbors tried everything to get him out.

After being turned over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement, he was taken to the Pamunkey Regional Jail in Hanover, Va., where he ended up in a barracks with 75 other men, including asylum-seekers who told him they had been waiting a year.

Ten days after he landed in Washington, Mr. Salerno was still incarcerated, despite efforts by Senator John W. Warner, Republican of Virginia, and two former immigration prosecutors hired by the Coopers.
“He’s just really scared,” Ms. Cooper said in an interview last Thursday. “He asked me if Virginia has the death penalty.”

Luis Paoli, a lawyer hired by the Coopers, said there was no limit on detention while waiting for an asylum interview. But even after officials agreed the asylum issue had been a mistake, Mr. Salerno was not released.

“Now an innocent European, who has never broken any laws, committed any crimes, or overstayed his visa, is being held in a county jail,” Ms. Cooper wrote in an e-mail message to The New York Times last Wednesday, prompting a reporter’s inquiries.

Less than 24 hours later, immigration officials intervened and arranged to deliver Mr. Salerno to Dulles, where last Friday he flew to Rome. Ms. Cooper, who said she was now considering moving to Italy, was by his side.

From mindless bureaucrats and idiotic civil servants, good Lord deliver us!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2008, 11:40:53 AM »

For the full article on the hike Click Here.

LOL-No one in my group hung from a rock.  In fact, none of us hiked down to the rocks.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2008, 11:41:59 AM »

singdaw - Just watch.  Thanks to your paraphrasing, someone's going to get confused and think I'm not going to Issaquah at all.

Fred, so sorry to hear that you'll be missing your trip to Issaquah.

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2008, 11:42:09 AM »

Just don't mention my name in Sheboygan.

DR George, thanks for the package. Your note made me laugh.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2008, 11:42:57 AM »

George - I'm glad you haven't bought them yet.  I have an allotment at half-price.  Just let me know that you want them for Sat. night and I'll put your names down out of my allotment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2008, 11:44:02 AM »

I hear they will accept 11-14 year old vigins in trade.

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2008, 11:45:02 AM »

Good Afternoon!  (I'm going ahead and starting to adjust back to EST time.)

Breakfast has been consumed.  Plane food and snacks have been bought.  And now I just need to finish my last bit of packing.  So.. Until NYC...

-I shall wave as I pass over those who I fly over. :)

Laters...

DR Jose, safe travel vibes!
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/move]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 11:46:37 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2008, 11:46:18 AM »

Colony is the biggest tourist trap in midtown.

singdaw

« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2008, 11:47:32 AM »

Just don't mention my name in Sheboygan.

Another reason I'm waiting breathlessly for the memoirs.   :)

In fact, that would make a snappy title for the memoirs!    8)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 11:48:33 AM by singdaw »

singdaw

« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2008, 11:47:54 AM »

DR Jane, those pictures are stunning!   :)  :)

Jane

« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2008, 11:48:08 AM »

***SAFE & EASY TRAVEL VIBES***[/size][/color]
to DR JoseSPiano!![/size][/color]

I meant to say this before signing off last night.  I hope I'm not too late. :)

singdaw

« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2008, 11:49:49 AM »

I hope I'm not too late.

Or too latex.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2008, 11:55:31 AM »

Oh, DR dB - you know just what to say to have me all a-flutter!  ;)

;D

Jane

« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »

You can buy See's at the airport :D

And they even have a real candy store where you can pick and choose from your favorites instead of purchasing pre-packed boxes. :D :D

DERBRUCER

« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »

Or too latex.

Oh, one can never be too....nevermind

der Brucer

Jane

« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2008, 11:57:49 AM »

Speaking of "missing"...

Where is Lady Jane of Sherlock Manor?

der Brucer

Wednesday mornings I hike, without Sherlock, with a group of friends.  I always took Echo but then I didn't need to worry about her joints if we ended up on steep trails.

Jane

« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2008, 12:08:54 PM »

DR Jane, those pictures are stunning!   :)  :)

Thank you.  We all wish we had remembered our cameras.  It was exciting as the wild flowers have begun to bloom & there was a lovely variety of them.  We also saw a hummingbird with a flash of ruby.  Someone said it was a red-headed something I don't remember.  Maybe DR Laura knows.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2008, 12:12:26 PM »

Finished addressing packages and re-boxing up books to take to trade.  I'm going to try and do that this evening after my meeting, but it depends on how quickly I can get out of there.  If I can get them to let me talk about my stuff first I may only have to be there for a half-hour, in which case I could make the book store by eight (they're open until ten).  The guy who does the better books isn't there until four.  I could try and take them right at four - it really shouldn't take more than an hour for him to go through the three boxes and make his trade offer.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2008, 12:20:56 PM »

Thank you.  We all wish we had remembered our cameras.  It was exciting as the wild flowers have begun to bloom & there was a lovely variety of them.  We also saw a hummingbird with a flash of ruby.  Someone said it was a red-headed something I don't remember.  Maybe DR Laura knows.

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird?

der Brucer
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 12:29:41 PM by DERBRUCER »

Jane

« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2008, 12:22:35 PM »

DR Jeanne....VIBES!!!

DR Vixmom-What you describe sounds a lot like the what I experienced when I pinched a nerve in my neck.  I could not move it at all so I'm hoping what you have isn't as bad.

MBarnum

« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2008, 12:23:10 PM »

A cute story in our Salem newspaper...for dog lovers and theatre queens alike....http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080514/NEWS/805140492/1001&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

Jane

« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2008, 12:23:19 PM »

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird?

der Brucer

That is what one person thought, someone else said we don't have them here & the red was on the head...?

singdaw

« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2008, 12:26:22 PM »

theatre queens

I don't know what you mean...      ::)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up