Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A ZOMBIE IN NEED OF A HICKY  (Read 33255 times)

Ben

Re:A ZOMBIE IN NEED OF A HICKY
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2004, 08:00:37 AM »

And here we are at page 2.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2004, 08:04:08 AM »

If you're in NYC, the local Equity office is at 46th Street between 6th and 7th Avenue (closer to 7th Avenue between the TGIF and the Laser Tag place. The phone number is 1-212-869-8530.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2004, 08:19:20 AM »

Okay...WHO was looking for JEANNE EAGELS?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2004, 08:46:09 AM »

Someone was looking for it, I remember.  Kerry, I think.

Good morning.  About to call the publisher to go over things.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2004, 08:57:47 AM »

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go.  (Oh, a Chantal Kreviazuk/John Denver/Peter, Paul & Mary reference.)

I am headed to the Springs of Palm, Dear Readers, for an extended weekend.  I am not sure what my internet connectivity will be like there, but I do hope to drop in now and then.  I certainly will catch up with all of your unseemly posts when I return on Monday.

In the meanwhile, keep those home fries burning.

Hugs and  :-* :-* :-*
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2004, 09:02:02 AM »

Have fun DRJay....say hi to Charlie Farrell for me!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2004, 09:14:31 AM »

Have a great weekend, Jay!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2004, 09:15:59 AM »

Corrections are being done, they promise me they will then do a page by page go through to make sure it's all fine, and I'll either have it back this afternoon or in the morning.

The cover, I'm happy to say, is approved.

Panni

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2004, 09:20:59 AM »

William Hung (the She Bang guy) is actually getting a lot of attention.  Apparently he has a fansite dedicated to him and received 7 million hits.  He has been on Entertainment Tonight. And he was also on Ryan Seacrest's On Air tv show.  He has been offered acting roles, including on 8 Simple Rules.  Personally, I think this guy is hilarious. Although I am totally shocked by all the attention he has been getting.

My daughter tried out (for fun) for IDOL in San Francisco where she goes to school. She and her friends were lined up for hours. She told me there was this strange little Chinese guy in the line right in front of them. He had earphones on and was talking and singing/dancing to himself, rehearsing his song again and again. She wondered if he was "mentally challenged" (I'm being p.c. here) or just tuned a little  off-center. Well, you know who the guy turned out to be -- the now famous William Hung. (You gotta love the name.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2004, 09:22:36 AM »

I thought it was Kerry looking as well...he will let us know.

Panni

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2004, 09:23:26 AM »

Corrections are being done, they promise me they will then do a page by page go through to make sure it's all fine, and I'll either have it back this afternoon or in the morning.

Good news, Mr. bk. And the cover news is mighty good, too. What a splendid day this is starting out to be here in the City of Studio.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2004, 09:25:06 AM »

Good morning!

Wow!  I actually made it in to the "morning" - well, just barely, by the time I hit "Post" it will most likely be the afternoon here on the East Coast.

First Kiss - Hmmm...  I, too, was a late bloomer... very late.  I'm sure I had a few pecks and "busses" in high school and college, but my first real kiss wasn't until I was... umm... 30... almost six year ago.  Like I said, I was a late bloomer.  However, it was very much worth the wait.  :D  -Oh, there was one cast party in college... wait, was there? ;) ???

Well, it's a gloomy and gray day here in Richmond.  Rain, some snow, sleet, etc...  I believe DR Matt H may have more frozen precip to deal with than me.

DR Noel - and other interested DRs - Since you sort of brought it up - and reminded me - the two overdone songs from this past weekend in Memphis were "Gimme, Gimme" and "The Girl In 14 G".  The typical exchange went like this:

"Umm... I'm starting here... It goes this fast... Then it picks up here for a few measures... Then I made a cut...Then when I get here, it slows down... Oh, but since I'm short on time, I'm gonna take it a little faster than on the recording... Then it slows back down here, and be sure to go a little slower leading into it since I need time for the breath... Then it gradually starts to speed back up here, and you can feel free to push the tempo since I won't be holding that note out all the way...Then it ends there."

On your Mark!  Get Set!  GO!

Again, I like both songs, but when you have to give more than two or three tempo indications for a song - especially in a situation where we try to keep the day "flowing" - then maybe you should consider doing a different song.  For a callback, yes.  For an initial audition, maybe to no.  A few of the young ladies ended up rushing themselves since they had to spend a good chunk of seconds explaining their tempos and cues to me before they stepped center stage to start their audition.  Now, they didn't have to rush themselves, but there was a sense of trying to keep the "dead time" between people down to a minimum.  Make sense?

*If anything, a bunch of the company reps commented that a lot of the auditioners probably only brought in certain songs because they knew I would be playing the auditions.  It was very much a compliment.  -And more than one singer told me that would have never brought in their particular song had I not been playing again this year.  Some of those Wild Party songs - either version - have, as my teacher would say, "a lot of black on the page".

Oh - and Ladies - If you can't belt and/or mix, PLEASE do not sing "I'm Not Afraid".  Mainly because I like the song, I like playing the song... and then my "hopes" are immediately deflated when a whisper of a voice comes out of your body.  Sing!  -Or don't sing!

Ooohhh... was that a little "vent-y".... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2004, 09:29:13 AM »

Oh... And the main reason those two songs were overdone is the fact that they were recently published.  So, it goes to reason that since it was a "new" song, not everyone will be singing it.  WRONG!

So... Since AI is based on the Popular Vote, what do you think would happen if they brought back William Hung during the Wild Card round?... Hmmm.....
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2004, 09:31:19 AM »

He would be.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2004, 09:34:12 AM »

Jose, I once did auditions for "Godspell" years and years ago where every last soprano (and there were scores of them) did "Memory" (the Streisand version had just come out, not surprisingly).  After the first three or four, I started saying "It can't happen again."  After the 24th or 25th, I was resigned to my fate.

I, too, do a lot of the cattle call auditions up here and am always flabbergasted by the cuts and tempi people tell me about 5 seconds before they're about to sing.  And the numbers people choose--I don't know if it's a northwest thing, but totally off-the-wall choices abound up here in keys that are not user-friendly (I mean, I'm pretty adept at sight-reading, but when you're getting to measure-fulls of double sharps you know something's wrong!).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2004, 09:39:40 AM »

DR Panni: Ha ha, that is the best story ever!  Your daughter was in line with "she-bang" guy :)

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2004, 09:40:51 AM »

Hmmm...first kiss. I believe it was Lori Conway in the hallway at Phoenix High School in 9th grade. We were friends but I think we decided to be boyfriend and girlfriend for some reason or other. She moved to Texas at the end of that semester. That was the only time that I kissed a girl. My next real kiss didn't come around until I was 20.

Today is the first day of my 5 day weekend! Hoo and Rah!! I hope to get many things accomplished this long weekend...but I will likely end up watching a lot of DVDs and taking naps! LOL!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2004, 09:41:02 AM »

My first real kiss?  Wow, that's a tough one.  Being an actor, and having watched lots of movies, I knew what a romantic kiss was supposed to be like, so during my youth I managed to make any number of young ladies swoon.  But for me, my first real kiss came when I was probably twenty.  Home from college for a long weekend, and armed with a phoney I.D., I finally got up the nerve to go into Tacoma's only gay bar.  There I met the man who would be my first real date.

Enough said.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2004, 09:44:59 AM »

Gee, I go away for a day and all sorts of things get overlooked.

How could you have a day discussing Disney Animation without referencing The Mouse That Roared article written by DR tb.

And how could TomOfOz escape criticism for posting this:

with the caption "Unpaid Bears".

I mean really, look at the critter on the right! That is NOT a bear!

Koala:

Phascolarctos cinereus

Although this creature is often called a Koala "bear" it is not a bear. It is a marsupial, like kangaroos and opossums, raising its young in a pouch on its body until the youngster is ready to venture out into the world.

The Koala is a plant eater, and almost all of its diet is made up of the leaves of eucalyptus trees. These leaves happen to be poisonous, but the Koala has special substances in its stomach that neutralize the toxins. The Koala is slow-moving and sleepy, rarely wasting energy with bursts of activity.

der Brucer (moving slowly, feeling sleepy, not anticipating any bursts of activity)

PS Please note the Republican Bear, second from the left.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2004, 09:50:19 AM »

Jay -- Please give dear Mr. Manilow a call for me and tell him that I have been thinking of him, and hope he is feeling better.

Thanks.
TCB
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Emily

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2004, 09:58:29 AM »

I have big news.

REAL big news (ooh a JRB PARADE reference!)

The haircut is happening today at 4pm.   Hair vibes must be sent.

The final style decision?

Take a gander and tell me what you think?

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2004, 09:59:14 AM »

Luckily we avoided the frozen precipitation. All we got was rain, and it's moving away now. I dragged myself into a hot shower today in an effort to feel better and am going to try to partake of some nourishment with a friend in a few minutes. I certainly do feel better after that shower and look forward to having something nutritious to eat.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2004, 10:03:45 AM »

And a note on yesterdays fascinating diversion into the art of the flush:

When I was a tad of a lad we didn't "flush" anything - we "pulled the chain". In case I wondered why, I only had to visit my Aunt Ella's - her facility (which she called a "terlit" had a traditional looking bowl with seat, but mouted on the wall high above was a large tank which held water, connected with a pipe to the bowl below; suspended from the tank was a long metal chain which one "pulled" to effect a flush.

Aunt Ella's house also demonstrated why my folks referred to "leaving the phone off the hook" - 'cause Auntie's phone indeed was one of those classic upright ebony gadgets with the mouth piece starring at you menacingly, and the ear gadget hung in a spring loaded hook at it's side. You lifted the ear-piece, the hook sprang up , and you got a dial tone. If you wanted an operator, you "jiggled the hook". The phone was on a small table at which was placed a piano stool, covered in brocaded cover (with fringe!)

der Brucer (with fond memories of antimacassars - no relation to Anti Mame)

Hmm...how would you use your foot to flush Aunt Ella's terlit?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2004, 10:04:12 AM »

DR MattH,

Good-health vibes heading your way. Keep feeling better.

Ben

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2004, 10:09:38 AM »

Here's a link to an article on Playbill On-Line about the Pennybaker documentary which will be on HBO sometime this spring.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/84359.html

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2004, 10:10:07 AM »

So... Since AI is based on the Popular Vote, what do you think would happen if they brought back William Hung during the Wild Card round?... Hmmm.....

Well occasionally the voters like to choose someone who the judges hate.  But they would never vote for William Hung. I mean, he can't sing at all. I think the voters know that they are trying to choose a superstar. And William might get some gigs. But I don't think he will ever get a record deal.

Speaking of contestants the judges hate, does anyone remember that horrible blonde guy (i think his parents were deaf). The judges hated him. And the public voted him in (even though he was bad - I think Simon tore him to shreds).

Um, judges, you guys picked him to be in the final 32. If you thought he was that bad, WHY DID YOU CHOOSE HIM???

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2004, 10:14:09 AM »

-Of course, my absolute favorite thing at an audition is when someone puts their music in front of me... and all that their music is is just the melody line.  They copied their part from a Chorus Book.  No piano accompaniment, no tempo indications (usually), no chords. Nothing for me to play!  Nothing!  And I've had this happen to me at "professional" auditions!  With "professionals" giving me their "music".

And then they get flustered when I tell them I can't really play for them with what they gave me.  "Well, that's what I used in rehearsal?!?"  Exactly!  That's what you used in rehearsal, not your musical director and rehearsal pianist.  I've never really turned anyone away.  I just "warn" them that I'll be faking the accompaniment... and that they now owe me big time!

DR JMK - I share your "Memory" woes... I sat in one of those open calls for "Forbidden Broadway" in DC once...  They gave everyone 15 seconds!  15!  Seconds!  -Which actually is enough time, but.. still.. 15 seconds!  Well, they wanted to hear the ladies belt... So... Since the opening measures of "Memory" start on a C, then show off a D...  And then there were the show-offs who started at the last key change with the E-flat and the F's.  It was a very appropriate and effective song choice for those auditions, but we saw about 500 people that day... about 350 women...  Talk about Cat Scratch Fever!

-Oh, and then there were the "smart" ones who had the song in the show key - well, one of the show keys - where the song started off in B-flat - down a step than the currently published key at that time.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2004, 10:15:12 AM »

DR Emily: I like that hairstyle!

Btw, for those flush obsessed, you must LOVE automatic flushers!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2004, 10:18:44 AM »

And William might get some gigs. But I don't think he will ever get a record deal.

Wow, something really weird just happened with the quote feature, so I can't wait to see how this shows up.

Anyway, Jennifer, methinks you may be too young to remember Mrs. Miller or even Tiny Tim.  The American public is frequently willing to buy CDs of "strangely talented" (was that PC or what) folk.  To those people I have two words to say:  Jonathan and Darlene (well, OK, that's three words, but you get my drift).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DERBRUCER

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2004, 10:22:25 AM »

Jose, I once did auditions for "Godspell" years and years ago where every last soprano (and there were scores of them) did "Memory"

I take it that "Memory" finally replaced "People" and "Feelings". How many guys used "Corner of the Sky"?

der Brucer (who sure misses a really good piano bar! - Laguna Beach is now a rather long drive)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up