Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A ZOMBIE IN NEED OF A HICKY  (Read 33205 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:A ZOMBIE IN NEED OF A HICKY
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2004, 01:35:57 PM »

Of course, the two weeks of auditions are always AMERICAN IDOL's most highly rated episodes until the final two episodes. People enjoy laughing at all the rotten talent on display (William Hung a perfect example), and now that we're dealing with the real singers, the ratings, while still huge, are 5 million or so less than the ratings for the audition shows.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2004, 01:39:04 PM »

DerBrucer-that second bear isn't cute-just creepy.

I suspect that if you'd have seen a production of the revival of Into The Woods, and watched  Jack and company drag poor Milky White through all sorts of trials and tribulations you'd see the "cuteness" in the pic. (In the original productions, the cow was just a prop, whereas in the revival it was played by an actor in bovine mufti:

der Brucer (hoping the Care Bear now makes more sense)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Robin

« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2004, 01:40:34 PM »

As the the whole "first kiss" thing...let's just say I cannot go into too much detail without getting exceedingly raunchy.  However, it happened on Mackinac Island, Michigan, during the filming of SOMEWHERE IN TIME, and a locked bakery after hours.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2004, 01:46:25 PM »

DR Jane: I assume "Stuffed" means overfed. Surely you do not have "pretend animals" at home. Was that bear left to fend for himself in Mexico. Do you ever write? What a cruel world.

I could say my cuddly bears.  

I still haven't recovered from loosing my bear.  I cried every night, for the longest time, after we returned home.  

I still have a ritual, first night home with me, and I sleep with my new cuddly bear, rabbit, or whatever.

MBarnum

« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2004, 01:47:07 PM »

JRand53 you had better add your bio also!

I had a wonderful teddy bear when I was a wee one. It met a tragic fate when, as we were getting the trailer ready to go on a camping trip in the mountains, I set teddy on the trailor part that hooks to the pick-up. I forgot him there and he is now lost somewhere between Griffin Creek Road in Medford and Howard Prairie! Poor teddy! After 35 years I wonder if he has survived in the wilds!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2004, 01:48:11 PM »

Verse 7 should help make every lyricists day!

Jake, the rancher, went one day
to fix a distant fence.
The wind was cold and gusty
and the clouds rolled gray and dense.

As he pounded the last staples in
and gathered tools to go,
The temperature had fallen,
wind and snow began to blow.

When he finally reached his pickup,
he felt a heavy heart.
From the sound of that ignition,
he knew it wouldn't start.

So Jake did what most of us would do
if we had just been there.
He humbly bowed his balding head
and sent aloft a prayer.

As he turned the key just one last time,
he softly cursed his luck.
They found him three days later,
frozen stiff in that old truck.

Now Jake had been around in life
and done his share of roaming.
but when he saw Heaven, he was shocked--
it looked just like Wyoming!

Of all the saints in Heaven,
his favorite was St. Peter.
(Now, this line ain't needed
but it helps with rhyme and meter)

So they set and talked a minute or two,
or maybe it was three.
Nobody was keepin' score –
 -- in Heaven time is free.

"I've always heard," Jake said to Pete,
"that God will answer prayer,
But the one time I asked for help,
well, he just plain wasn't there."

"Why does God answer prayers of some,
and ignore the prayers of others?
That don't seem exactly square --
 - I know all men are brothers."

"Or does he randomly reply,
without good rhyme or reason?
Maybe, it's the time of day,
the weather or the season."

"Now I ain't trying to act smart,
it's just the way I feel.
And I'm wondering, could you tell me --
 -- what the heck's the deal?!"

Peter listened very patiently
and when Jake was done,
there were smiles of recognition,
and he said, "So, you're the one!!"

"I remember the day your truck wouldn't start,
and you sent your prayer a-flying,
You gave us all a real bad time,
with hundreds of us trying"

"A thousand angels rushed,
to check the status of your file,
But you know, Jake, we hadn't heard from you
in such a long, long while."

"And though all prayers are answered
and God ain't got no quota,
He didn't recognize your voice,
and started a truck in North Dakota."

BETTER KEEP IN TOUCH

der laureate Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2004, 01:49:56 PM »

I suspect that if you'd have seen a production of the revival of Into The Woods, and watched  Jack and company drag poor Milky White through all sorts of trials and tribulations you'd see the "cuteness" in the pic. (In the original productions, the cow was just a prop, whereas in the revival it was played by an actor in bovine mufti:

Maybe-but it still looks creepy to me.  The actor in bovine mufti looks much cuter to me. ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2004, 01:54:59 PM »

I wrote:
That's not DR Emily. That's a picture of some girl with the hair DR Emily is getting today!

I think I should add a wink after that statement-I knew.   ;D

Of course you knew.  Everybody here knows that DR Emily is yellow, so that couldn't have been her picture. :)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2004, 01:57:36 PM »

I played in the pit for a production of "Into the Woods" a few years ago and the cow was played by a human, as well as other things, it's quite effective and easier to control!!  Still waiting for SS to write the aria to go along with the charactor :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2004, 02:16:09 PM »

In today's notes, BK used the following phrase: "in a timely fashion (go-go boots and a Nehru jacket)."

Add Ghandi pants and you've got a look that's.... :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2004, 02:16:58 PM »

I played in the pit for a production of "Into the Woods" a few years ago and the cow was played by a human, as well as other things, it's quite effective and easier to control!!  Still waiting for SS to write the aria to go along with the charactor :)
Said aria would certainly be mooving.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2004, 02:31:11 PM »

Did you write that poem. DerBurcer? It's very good -- funny and touching in its warped way. And certainly makes a point -- not just about God, but about people who suddenly know you exist when they need something.

Jed

« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2004, 02:32:14 PM »

Said aria would certainly be mooving.

::)

Congratulations, SWoody, you've just pushed the HHW "no groaning" rule to a whole new level! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Panni

« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2004, 02:35:14 PM »

bk - Your TIVO troubles just prove to me that being a Luddite when it comes to things of that sort (that would be me I'm talking about) has its advantages.
I hope all is straightened out for you in record time (there I go again - I should say in CD time.)

Jane

« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2004, 02:41:15 PM »

Currently I am listening to the beautiful voice of our own Ann.  I had no idea the treat I was in store for when I asked to hear the CD from the recital.

Thank you Ann for making my day! :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2004, 02:54:50 PM »

Since this is February 12, I thought I would repeat one of my favorite New York stories.  I was staying at the Milford and I was heading back to the hotel after dinner.   I was walking down West 45th, and there a husband and wife and their three young children walking in front of me.  One of the kids looked over at the Booth Theater and said, Daddy, what’s that say?

It says ‘Booth Theater’, said the father.

But what is that place, Daddy? persisted his son.

After a moment of hesitation, the father answered, That’s where Abraham Lincoln got shot.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2004, 02:57:27 PM »

..."What I Did For Love" and "All That Jazz" and "Hey, Big Spender" (I've never understood this one - it's a dance number, and most girls don't/can't sing the high notes... and they spend most of the time waiting for the "da, da-du-da, da-da... pling") and "Vanilla Ice Cream" (one high note does not an audition song make!) and the last part of "Soliloquy" and...

-And as many of the books out there will tell you... It's not that these songs are overdone... It's just that they usually sung badly!  Many times over!  You can just hear the internal groans when an intro starts sometimes. ;)  Hopefully, the singer will be fully prepared and will knock your socks off!

All of these audition songs remind me of the movie "Fame" and the character of Doris Finsecker auditioning for the drama department(!), singing to a very badly performed taped accompaniment and her mother crying her eyes out at how beautifully she thought her daughter was performing.  One of the funniest moments in that movie!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 03:00:54 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2004, 03:00:18 PM »

One more thing, then back to writing... My daughter just faxed me the best Valentine (she also sent me a card which begins "Mom, you're an Angel"...)...But what came through on my Fax machine today was a copy of a Certificate naming her to the Dean's List at the Univ. of San Francisco. Accompanying it was a note:  "Happy Valentine's Day,  Love, Your smart daughter"  
Now I have to tell you that for years I would tell her that she was so very smart and that would be reflected in her marks if she would only apply herself. (She was reading at a grade 5 level in kindergarten.) All through middle school and high school she told me to leave her alone. Which I did. You can't force a person to study. She always got by, sometimes she did well, sometimes not. But she hardly ever put in that extra effort which would have allowed her live up to her potential. I can't tell you how many times I heard, "Just 'cause you were a good student doesn't mean I'll be good. Because I'm stupid." And no matter how many times I told her she wasn't, she didn't believe me.
But when she transferred to the U. of SF last year, something clicked and she finally got it.
...It's amazing how sometimes it all pays off!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 03:04:27 PM by Panni »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2004, 03:07:21 PM »

OZians aren't the only bear lovers:

der Brucer (who's bear is still packed in a box)
Well, der Brucer is bear enough for me.   :-*

Matthew

« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2004, 03:08:25 PM »

S. Woddy - you're killin' me softly with THAT song :)

Jane

« Reply #140 on: February 12, 2004, 03:14:19 PM »

Isn't is grand when your kids finally get what you have been saying! :)

Jane

« Reply #141 on: February 12, 2004, 03:16:04 PM »

Echo & I are going for a hike on this beautiful "spring like" day.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: February 12, 2004, 03:18:40 PM »

Maybe-but it still looks creepy to me.  The actor in bovine mufti looks much cuter to me. ;D
The actor in question is Chad Kimball, who can be heard on the BK produced CD of the Godspell 2000 revival.  

For the curtain call of ITW, he came out holding Milky White's head and front hooves, the only time we, the audience, got to see his face.  The volume of the applause shot up automatically.  It was a challenging costume: the front half involves a stilt-like construction for the forelegs, plus a rig for moving the mouth.  The part was originally assigned to an actress/dancer, but the stress on her back was too much, so Kimball, who had been an understudy, got the promotion.

I understand that he's in demand as an actor, because of his turn as Milky White.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #143 on: February 12, 2004, 03:19:50 PM »

I took a sabbatical from doing shows when I was with my first lover, but when I returned to doing them (1989), I noticed then and for the next few years, the song used most often by girls auditioning was "On My Own." I got REALLY sick of hearing that song sung at auditions.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2004, 03:25:31 PM »

And remember DR GEORGE that Doris' mother took a picture, too!

Since my email name is jAYNRAND - yes I have read ATLAS SHRUGGED and no I didn't want to throw it across the room at any point.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2004, 03:27:48 PM »

I took a sabbatical from doing shows when I was with my first lover, but when I returned to doing them (1989), I noticed then and for the next few years, the song used most often by girls auditioning was "On My Own." I got REALLY sick of hearing that song sung at auditions.
Oft have been the times when der Brucer and I have imagined filming this song, with Eponine walking along the banks of the Seine.

Or the In-Seine.

Or the Out-Seine, if you prefer.

;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2004, 03:27:49 PM »

Our very own Richard Valley has just put up a terrific overview of the three Sherlock Holmes box set DVDs.  Check it out at http://dvds.allaccessworld.com

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2004, 03:44:29 PM »

LOL no one is interested in Annette over at theDVDplace...LOL
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2004, 04:18:29 PM »

Sometimes I wonder if people write songs for shows write songs, not just to try and be pop-u-lar (a Wicked reference), but with the idea that it might be a good audition song and it can become much more popular with theater performers, who in turn will record the songs, sing the songs in cabaret performances, etc.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matthew

« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2004, 04:22:40 PM »

That cow aria could start something like ... "Stop wondering what you're chewing, mooooove on, your lfe is not your decision, mooooove on"  feeble, yes :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up