Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE POINT  (Read 27052 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE POINT
« on: July 13, 2008, 12:36:51 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've looked in vain for a point, and now it is time for you to post until the vain cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 12:13:16 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE POINT
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 12:38:34 AM »

And the word of the day is: ALEMBIC!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 12:40:41 AM »

I think I'll stay up a little while longer.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 12:54:23 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And... Oh... Nevermind...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 01:07:38 AM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 01:11:22 AM »

Well, since I apparently just nodded off for a few minutes...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 01:19:11 AM »

Last night, my friend Josh (we've done several shows together) had a party, celebrating Alaska.  Why, you might ask?  Well, I'll tell you.  Actually, I already have in a previous post...but I'll tell it again.  He had the party because he and our friend Bill are going to Alaska for a hike (I don't remember which trail it was).  The food at the party was potluck (I brought peanut butter cup cookies) and we had to wear something that had to do with Alaska.  Josh was dressed up like a saloon bartender.  Bill dressed up like a guy panning for gold.  Bill's girlfriend dressed up like a gold nugget (she wore a gold lamé dress and had gold glitter all over her).  Another man put colored barrets in his hair and said that he was the Aurora borealis.  I wore a Hawaiian shirt, jeans and my Birkenstocks...I was a tourist who got on the wrong plane and ended up in Alaska instead of Hawaii! ;D The food was good and we watched part of "White Fang," which shows part of the actuall trail that Josh and Bill will be hiking.  The party pretty much got over by 11:00 pm (and we didn't finish the movie), but a good time was had by all. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 01:21:36 AM »

This afternoon, I'll be ushering again for The Rocky Horror Show.  My friend Margo will be ushering, also...as will her daughter Alexis, who just got back yesterday(!) from studying a year in France!  Well, Alexis said that she wanted to usher that soon after getting back, so if she hasn't adjusted back to the time change, it's her own fault. ;) I'm sure that she'll be fine.  Either way, it'll be a fun show to see.

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 01:22:40 AM »

And now, I'm off to bed.  Good night, BK and Jose and guests. :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 03:00:53 AM »

First of all:

Congratulations to DRJANE and KEITH on the great news yesterday, and best wishes to Bryan and his new ball and chain, Kate!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 03:01:14 AM »

What are you doing reading this, DR CILLA LIZ....go get your roses!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 03:02:10 AM »

Couldn't sleep
And wouldn't sleep
No real reason I shouldn't sleep....

Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered
Am I!!!!!!!!!!!

Or something like that at 5.55 a.m.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 03:24:05 AM »

"Well....the point is, we'll be going out to California.  You'd better give me the name of a doctor there."  Miriam Polar, Valley of the Dolls.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 03:33:56 AM by JRand57 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 03:34:53 AM »

Nice fotos yesterday DR JOSE.

DRLAURA - that was a scary foto!

singdaw

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 03:53:06 AM »

Good morning, DR Jeanne!   :)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 04:02:46 AM »

Hi, Sing.

FJL

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 05:26:49 AM »

Further travel vibes to Arnold

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 06:08:34 AM »

On tv tonight for me:

HOW DO I SOLVE A PROBLEM LIKE MARIA.

***And the premiere of BIG BROTHER 10!!!!!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 06:24:42 AM »

DR Jane, i must have logged off last night just when you posted your question.

Actually it's not my ankle that i hurt. It is the top right part of my foot.

And i can actually walk 100% fine.

But for some reason it still does not want me to put on a aock. No matter how loose it is. And thus i cannot put on a running shoe. :(

I've been wearing flip flops or sandals for the 3 weeks. And right now that feels fine. But i would like to put on running shoes so i can bike again!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 06:46:54 AM »

Good morning, all! The laundry is in the washers, and I have to vacuum the entire apartment this morning while the dryers do their magic. I've begun assembling my next Ohio shipment so cartons are startng to accumulate.  As son as some payments arrive, I'm shipping these mothers.

Today, I have top work on an arrangement for tenor Kip Wilborn, and in my email this morning I received files of the band parts for this George M Cohan medley that Daniel Rodriguez is performing next weekend. The cop[yist asked me to proof them, so that will be a couple of hours from my day.

Rod McKuen was one of the first people I did arrange,ents for in Manhattan; Ben Bagley and he were friends and Ben had asked me to do some numbers for a couple of JEROME KERN REVISITED's. I had lost a film score job because I had no studio experience, and I figured doing some workfor Ben would get me into a recording studio. Ben was very very cheap, which is why the quality of his later recordings runs from very good to very abysmal in one track, but I'd been buying from him for the Drama Book Shop and he was charming, funny, a great raconteur, and I had to gain some experence. I was never paid for my work for Ben nor was I ever given free records, so after doing several for Ben, I found myself too busy to do further ones, but I still enjoyed hanging out with him and hearing his stories about working with Hepburn and others.

McKuen did two charts: "What's Good About Good Night" and "That Lucky Fellow," which he did very well' "What's Good About Good Night" had more of a range than he so it was rewritten in the studio to fit him!  I have to say tha I wasn't a fan of McKuen's work so I wasn't sure how I'd like him personally, and he was charming and kind and effussive and enthusiastic beyond belief; he and Ben, because they'd known each other since the beginning of time, were a hoot together, and I left the studio with a lot of wonderful memories of him.

Yes, DR Jose! Some of the papers in the Dillingham files could have been papyrus, and someone in the Rare Books & Manuscripts didn't catalogue the correspondence well: one folder which should contain letters from writers with the last name initials P-R, 1910-1912 had a large group of correspondence from 1920 and 21.  I found interesting letters from Joseph Cawthorn to Dillingham on why he was withdrawing from THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER and letters from Dillingham to Anne Caldwell and Cawthorn on means of convinvcing him to stay with new material and songs. Letters to the costume designer in London from Dillingham explained his ideas behind musical numbers and descri[tions of songs like "How to Sing A Ragtime song" that didn't make the show.  All quite good and helpful and much more interesting than the non-research the Fat Conductor of Limited Talent and Limitless Ego performs.

I also found a letter from Anne Caldwell to Dillingham on the show's running time: Act One and Act Two: 50 minutes each, Act Three: 45 minutes. They bred giants in those days.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 07:38:55 AM »

And the word of the day is: ALEMBIC!
In the television series Pinky and the Brain, the two stalwart LAB MICE can frequently be seen with a glass ALEMBIC still burbling in the background.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 07:43:49 AM »

...her daughter Alexis, who just got back yesterday(!) from studying a year in France!...
Why would anyone go to France to study a year?  I can understand going to France to study the cooking, or the art and archetecture, or perhaps the history, or maybe even winemaking, but a year can be studied practically anywhere.

Unless, of course, the year she was studying had particular meaning in France, and little meaning anywhere else.  That would explain her trip.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2008, 07:59:12 AM »

Good morning!

I'm up, I'm up... once again... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 08:00:18 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  Richard's off to church in Cincinnati - I've had breakfast and read both newspapers.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 08:01:21 AM »

DR Jose - thank you for sharing your wonderful yesterday with us.  The photos were smashing and the day sounds like a lot of fun.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 08:04:26 AM »

Good morning!

I was up very early mowing my front yard. I had hoped it would be cool, but it wasn't. This is always the most miserable time of the year to mow grass. No time during the day is cool enough, and one just starts to wilt after five or ten minutes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 08:08:04 AM »

Thanks for your posted pictures last night, DR Jose. Always love pictures of Broadway and its stars. I wish you had taken one in tandem with Walter. I've mentioned here many times I saw him and loved him in both TWO BY TWO and GRAND HOTEL, and would love to have a picture of the two of you together.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 08:09:59 AM »

Today I'll watch another BURN NOTICE episode while cooking and eating lunch. Then I'll start Comedy Central's TV FUNHOUSE. It's only eight episodes long, and never having seen it, I don't even know if it's a half hour or hourlong show (I'm guessing the former). I do know it's raunchy and politically incorrect, but that's OK. That can be fun.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 08:12:38 AM »

On TV tonight:

LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT

IN PLAIN SIGHT (for those still watching)

BIG BROTHER 10 (for those still watching). There is a gay contestant on the show in this cycle, and, of course, one of the other contestants on a CBS promo spouting the usual Bible-thumping hatred before the show even starts talking about how gays aren't going to heaven. How completely and totally tiresome.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 08:14:18 AM »

If I find myself with some time on my hands this evening, I'll probably watch CLOVERFIELD on Blu-ray. Interested to see what kind of upgrade in picture and sound a HD transfer of this "camcorder" movie is going to deliver.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up