Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LAUGHING IN THE FACE OF SUCH INCOMPETENCE  (Read 24048 times)

Kerry

Re:LAUGHING IN THE FACE OF SUCH INCOMPETENCE
« Reply #150 on: February 17, 2004, 08:27:55 PM »

I had the loveliest time on Saturday night and met 4 of the nicest people I could ever hope to meet.  (5 actually, if you count the wonderful employee of the Annenberg Theatre who let us in an hour early so that we could change into our evening clothes.  Saved me from having to go behind a pillar in the parking garage in my skivvies.)

Jason Graae, his Glen, Liz Callaway and DRJay are wonderful, and I want them all over to my house for a slumber party!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 08:31:06 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #151 on: February 17, 2004, 08:29:32 PM »

Another:  DRs Jay and Sandra and me
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #152 on: February 17, 2004, 08:30:35 PM »

The lovely Liz
I like boat races.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2004, 08:31:40 PM »

TCB should be able to answer that one. He was dancing with Molly at the time.

That is true, ducks, but Molly and I were dancing back in 1912, and Jrand was asking about the movie in 1953.  I am sure it was different music, since all of the musicians that played for Molly and I were dead.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Kerry

« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2004, 08:35:01 PM »

Jay, have they announced any of the cast of 110 in the shade?
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2004, 08:36:55 PM »

After much thought, I want you All over for a slumber party.

We need a piano, many pillows, popcorn.
I like boat races.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2004, 08:38:30 PM »

You could come and visit me, Dear Reader Tomovoz, and see 110 in the Shade when the Pasadena Playhouse does it later this year.

Is Robert Horton going to play the lead?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2004, 08:45:45 PM »

After much thought, I want you All over for a slumber party.

We need a piano, many pillows, popcorn.

Oh, that is a wonderful idea Kerry!  Can we have a taffy pull????  Can we, huh, can we, please????

...............Okay, Kerry, this time you can be Taffy.
“One thing’s universal,

Kerry

« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2004, 08:47:31 PM »

;D

LOL, TCB.  You stole the words right out of my mouth!
I like boat races.

Tomovoz

« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2004, 08:55:12 PM »

Is Robert Horton going to play the lead?
My only reason for watching Wagon Train.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2004, 08:58:25 PM »

That is true, ducks, but Molly and I were dancing back in 1912, and Jrand was asking about the movie in 1953.  I am sure it was different music, since all of the musicians that played for Molly and I were dead.
They played different music in the film?
Next you will be telling me that Celine Dion's song was not on played on the voyage..
I am shattered to learn that there would be such inaccuracies in filmdom.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Kerry

« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2004, 08:58:36 PM »

Just got the Rondo results back.   JEEPERS CREEPERS did not win.  But if you're going to lose anyone, losing to Bernard Herrmann is an honor.
I like boat races.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2004, 09:00:24 PM »

My only reason for watching Wagon Train.

Mr. Horton AND Denny "Scott" Miller.
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2004, 09:03:11 PM »

Lovely bird portrait, Tomovoz. Margocsy is a Hungarian name. Wonder if that's his heritage.
Paul Margocsy is a delightful man. He was born here in Melbourne in 1945. His dad was Hungarian. (His mother was born in England).
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2004, 09:09:14 PM »

Paul Margocsy is a delightful man. He was born here in Melbourne in 1945. His dad was Hungarian. (His mother was born in England).

Just how small a continent is Australia???  Do you know everybody that lives there?  So, what is the real dirt on Mel Gibson?
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2004, 09:19:45 PM »

If I suggested a "rule" it was this
"If some of a musical's pleasures are surprising plot twists in the libretto, don't ruin it for yourself by seeking out a synopsis, even if the only place the show is currently playing is New York City."
Noel, you are making the assumption that the person listening to the OCR has the ability to see the show, in NYC or elsewhere.  Much of the time, this is simply not the case.  Expenses alone can kill this line of opportunity.  A CD can run fifteen bucks; in comparison, even if a show hits the road, this still means shelling out for tickets, transportation, food, quite often childcare...this bill is tallying up rather quickly.  For someone who does not live in a major metropolis, or close to one, this can further turn into a trip of not one but two days.  Considering how often you yourself have complained about your poverty level, I'd think you would have more sympathy towards others and their financial problems.

Further, you have not addressed the question of what those of us who do not see the show on stage are supposed to do when the damn thing closes!  As an example, I can cite Nick & Nora, the Laurents/Strouse/Maltby collaboration that sadly bombed.  I have the CD, and enjoy it a lot; "Look Who's Alone Now" is a great torch song, one of the handfull written specifically for a male voice, and alone would make any show CD worth having in a collection.  In Ken Mandelbaum's liner notes, he includes the statement "This cast recording should go a long way towards increasing appreciation of the achievements of the authors of Nick & Nora," clearly acknowledging the fact that most people buying the disc will not have, and probably never will see the show.  But the synopsis included leaves us hanging as to what the hell happens towards the end of the second act, and dammit, knowing that I will probably never get to watch a staged production, I'd like to know!  For that matter, if I were the director of a theater company, I'd like to know before deciding to stage the show myself!

Please don't go waving this flag of yours that reads "See the show," because in too many cases that simply isn't gonna happen.

I also said "Do what you want to do" but what do I know? - I'm a little light-headed due to the paucity of good cuisine in this food-deprived metropolis.   ::)
I never said NYC was food deprived, or lacked good cuisine.  I said that, due to everything being imported, it has never developed a cuisine of it's own.  I was using food as an example of how everything has to be imported into that city.  To indicate that I said anything other than that is disingenuous.  Find some other excuse for being light-headed next time.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2004, 09:22:59 PM »

Paul (now there's a name) is unassuming enough to have Colin and myself on his Christmas card list. We are acquaintances. Mel Gibson is of course American so I know little about the man. A reminder that Mr Crowe is from New Zealand but Mr Jackman is Australian I am pleased to say.
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #167 on: February 17, 2004, 09:24:14 PM »

Matt H., I too am rooting for the footballer who, by comparison to the mediocrities and downright awful singers they had on tonight, was certainly among the top two or three.  But I did feel he picked a bad song to show off his good and powerful voice.  I kept wanting something more from him.

No one kicked into second gear tonight...a few never even got to first.  Some of the worst song selection I have ever heard and really flaccid, ho-hum performances.  I said to my wife, "Well, if it continues in this vein, they've certainly lost me for next year and I may not even stick around for the rest of this one."  

JRand53, I'm mystified why you were pleased by the Hawaiian girl and also why the judges were so relatively kind to her.  In the lead-up to her song, they showed a clip of Simon telling her she had to get over her nerves.  I felt her voice was quavering from nerves from the beginning of her song to the end.

Oh, and to the girl in the blue top, bad attitude and the one thing a professional never does is make excuses!  That sinus infection whine won't wash.  Very bad form.

I think it's the football player and red-head and maybe the last girl who I found singularly unspectacular, though the judges seemed to tacitly endorse the Hawaiian, but I'm not sure why.  What is this special vocal quality of hers they're talking about?  I didn't hear it.

Boy, were the brothers ever bad...neither could carry a tune in a bushel basket.  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #168 on: February 17, 2004, 09:30:18 PM »

Sorry, it was Jennifer, not Jrand, who was a fan of the Hawaiian girl on American Idol...I still don't get it.  Didn't find good or memorable.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #169 on: February 17, 2004, 09:51:11 PM »

Well, you will all have to excuse me for the rest of the evening.  I have a date with Bud and Lou in the bedroom.  They have asked me to Hold That Ghost.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: February 17, 2004, 10:12:24 PM »

Well, my tech woes continue, but at least I know the prob now.  As I mentioned the other day, my keyboard froze.  We fixed it by removing the computer's battery and then putting it back.  It froze again just a little while ago, so I did the same thing and while I was doing it I noticed the computer felt pretty warm.  That made me realize that I haven't heard the fan in a couple of days.  I called Dell and we ran a diagnostic on the fans - the processor fan was working fine, but the motherboard fan isn't working at all.  So, the computer overheats and the keyboard freezes.  Simple.  So, tomorrow I must order the part (I'm out of warranty, of course) - luckily the part is under fifteen bucks.  However, I must then take the computer somewhere and have someone install it, and I'm sure that won't be fifteen bucks.  I found some places in the Yellow Pages, and I guess if one of them can send someone here to do it, then I'll use them.  Otherwise, they're all in close proximity, but I don't want to leave the computer there.  The tech said it should only take them about ten minutes to swap out the fan and use some compressed air to clean out everything, so that's good.  

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2004, 10:42:16 PM »

Pleasure to read all your posts, DRs. Sorry not to contribute, but I'm not in a chatty mood tonight. Perhaps tomorrow. 'Night, all.

Jed

« Reply #172 on: February 17, 2004, 10:43:54 PM »

Finally here to chime in on today's discussions...

Topic #1 - I usually just mumble and grumble to myself and avoid all human contact for awhile.  Then I usually make DR Ann suffer through my venting the next time I catch her online. :D

Topic #2 - I'll cast the 143rd vote for The Fantasticks.  Unfortunately, I never made it to NYC to see the show while still running, but when I hit the city last year, I did make sure to go by the Sullivan Street Playhouse.
Also must mention Assassins, Floyd Collins, and one that I'm rather surprised to have not seen listed yet today, Violet.

I watched American Idol this evening (had never watched before this season, but have watched fairly frequently this time around).  All I can say... ugh.  I never did understand why those brothers made it this far.  I was even somewhat surprised they made it through the first round!  Would have liked to see better performances from both the first two singers (Football Guy and Suspender Gal), whom I've enjoyed up until tonight.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #173 on: February 17, 2004, 10:48:45 PM »

Had our first rehearsal for Children of Eden this afternoon, going over 5 of the songs with my all-female chorus.  They seem to have pretty decent ears, and ,thankfully, aren't afraid to give some volume.  I had visions of my shouting "Sing out, Louise!" non-stop for the next two months (and receiving blank stares in response, of course), but it looks as though that won't be a problem.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2004, 10:53:11 PM »

Bonnie and Buster are both amazing to me.

Earlier, I decided to nuke some popcorn.  The moment the celophane wrapper crinkled, Buster was in the kitchen, anticipating.  The other dogs have liked popcorn, but Buster is the first one I've had that associates the microwave and the sound of popping with what is to come.

This afternoon, Bonnie was sitting on my bed, resting her chin on the headboard and looking out the window, watching it snow.  Der Brucer saw her in this pose, and accused me of having an influence on her.  Could be!

And just now, the two of them were out in the yard, barking at something.  I tapped lightly on my window, which is above their yard and over a bit.  Seconds later, they both came charging up the stairs and into my room, damp and happy.  I never would have expected them to associate my room with the direction the tapping sound came from.

They only pretend to be dumb animals.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #175 on: February 17, 2004, 10:55:00 PM »

Had our first rehearsal for Children of Eden this afternoon, going over 5 of the songs with my all-female chorus.  They seem to have pretty decent ears, and ,thankfully, aren't afraid to give some volume.  I had visions of my shouting "Sing out, Louise!" non-stop for the next two months (and receiving blank stares in response, of course), but it looks as though that won't be a problem.
Getting blank stares?  They've probably heard it before...and not only know the quote, but can tell you a few personal stories of their own that fit it quite well!

Jed

« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2004, 11:09:41 PM »

How I wish I thought you were right, SWoody.  Sure, they'd get the "sing out" idea, but I'm pretty sure that I'd see many a blank stare wondering, "Who the hell is Louise?"  While I'm fairly confident the assistant director would know what I was talking about, I'm not even too sure I could say the same for the director.  ::)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: February 17, 2004, 11:54:23 PM »

My goodness gracious - a sheer lack of denizens.  I see no denizens except PennyO and myself.  That is two count them two denizens.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #178 on: February 17, 2004, 11:58:23 PM »

Well, the large actor in the apartment above mine is lumbering around quite a bit... so I've been dragged from slumber. Not that I'm that good a sleeper, anyway. But, heck, i WAS sleeping! Okay, so I thought I'd check up on y'all. Howdy. And good night. Off I go again, to see if i can catch a few zzzzz'z before I bounce awake at the crack of dawn.

Just btw - Brucer and Woods, I looked it up; it's a two and a half hour drive! Yipes. Now, that's devotion! Nitey-nite, guys. (Oh, and YES, dogs are some of the smartest, best folk I've ever known.)
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2004, 12:00:08 AM »

Hi, Bruce! Yeah, we are the late-night denizens, all right. it's 3 AM here. And I've been enjoying your story!
PennyO
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up